AFCON - Africa Cup of Nations

Senegal deserved it. Egypt are tough to watch; they play like a minnow, scrapping to survive. That's okay when a team is a minnow, scrapping to survive - not one with arguably the best player in the world up front.

I must say, though, I'm a big fan of the Egypt keeper. He's the one who looked like he played for the European Cup holders.

Senegal deserved it. Egypt are tough to watch; they play like a minnow, scrapping to survive. That's okay when a team is a minnow, scrapping to survive - not one with arguably the best player in the world up front.

I must say, though, I'm a big fan of the Egypt keeper. He's the one who looked like he played for the European Cup holders.
Egypt had a very good physic condition.

You feel that all players have
8 in term of PES attributes

They played 4 games and you don't feel that they get tired even after 60 minutes

But unlike you, I found that the Egypt's manager knows the limites and what can his players do. Ok you have Salah, but he doesn't have a creative midfielder or an attacking fullback. So you have one players who can do the difference (Trezeguet too IMO). Let's say then he have two players who can make the difference. And they don't have a good striker.

Their former manager Hector Cuper, played with similar playstyle. They played with him a final in 2017 and qualified to the WC after 28 years. But Cuper was more defensive than Queiroz

Egypt had a very good physic condition.

You feel that all players have
8 in term of PES attributes

They played 4 games and you don't feel that they get tired even after 60 minutes

But unlike you, I found that the Egypt's manager knows the limites and what can his players do. Ok you have Salah, but he doesn't have a creative midfielder or an attacking fullback. So you have one players who can do the difference (Trezeguet too IMO). Let's say then he have two players who can make the difference. And they don't have a good striker.

Their former manager Hector Cuper, played with similar playstyle. They played with him a final in 2017 and qualified to the WC after 28 years. But Cuper was more defensive than Queiroz

True, they maybe don't have the quality all over the pitch. But it was more how they suffocated the game. I don't mind when a team defends bravely as a well-organised unit, but Egypt's primary tactic looked to be simply spoiling the game. That just leaves a sour taste, regardless of the team's ability.

The Guardian writer, Jonathan Wilson, sums it up better than I ever could:

"Senegal, as Cameroon had in the semi-final, occasionally threatened to get in behind the Egyptian full-backs, but when they did, the crossing and the decision-making was too often poor. And like Cameroon, they soon found themselves frustrated by Egypt’s spoiling, the feigning of injury, the long debates after every decision.

"Egypt complained after the semi-final that all three of their knockout games had gone to extra-time, but in truth the ball is in play so little in their games that that is probably little different to an average side playing three games that are over in normal time. This is anti-football in its truest sense: it is not that they defend, it is that they actively try to prevent any football being played. Even with their coach, Carlos Queiroz, and his assistant, Roger De Sá, banned, the sustained moaning from the technical area continued."

Elsewhere, I see Mousa Dembele has retired. Whenever I watched him I could never understand why he wasn't playing for one of the world's very best teams. His use of the ball was outrageous. Still did very well for himself but also feels like it was a bit of a waste.

Elsewhere, I see Mousa Dembele has retired. Whenever I watched him I could never understand why he wasn't playing for one of the world's very best teams. His use of the ball was outrageous. Still did very well for himself but also feels like it was a bit of a waste.

Yeah I never understood why he went off to China (well ok I did, a big pay day) but he was still a great player and I think a big reason of why Tottenham began to fall away to what they are now.

Yeah I never understood why he went off to China (well ok I did, a big pay day) but he was still a great player and I think a big reason of why Tottenham began to fall away to what they are now.

Absolutely.

I also just realised this isn't the general football thread. My bad for the Dembele tangent!

A videos shows how Egypt's players refused to shoot the penalties, especially El Nenny (he admitted that he refused to shoot). Only 2 players were ready to take the penalties

Salah asked Quiroz to speak with the players

Once again (last time being the Euros final) I'm confused by the selection process behind penalty takers.

Surely the order can be sorted out before the game? Also, Salah electing to take the fifth is crazy. Presuming he is regarded as their best, he has to be taking one of the first three.

It appears to be done on a volunteer basis as standard, which I've often questioned.

Once again (last time being the Euros final) I'm confused by the selection process behind penalty takers.

Surely the order can be sorted out before the game? Also, Salah electing to take the fifth is crazy. Presuming he is regarded as their best, he has to be taking one of the first three.

It appears to be done on a volunteer basis as standard, which I've often questioned.
Sorry. To correct this footage are from the semi-final

But El Nenny said last Sunday that he also refused to take a penalty in final cuz he can't cuz he was afraid, he said he can't even watch the penalties shoot out (he missed 2 penalties with Arsenal time ago)

Sorry. To correct this footage are from the semi-final

But El Nenny said last Sunday that he also refused to take a penalty in final cuz he can't cuz he was afraid, he said he can't even watch the penalties shoot out (he missed 2 penalties with Arsenal time ago)

Ah, okay. It paid off for Salah then, I guess, but still - for the final - the decision for him to take the fifth was strange!

I can understand defensive players being a bit wary (although it is often central defenders who move to the front of the line) but when strikers or attacking midfielders shy away I think it's a little strange.

Yeah the keeper was impressive. I wonder if this will help move him to a bigger club... although he's 33, so he might be too old.

The African Cup of Nations is around the corner, it will start in 10 days.

I'm excited i can't wait that the African Festival start, what is your predictions for the tournaments guys ?
Senegal or Ivoiry Coast are going to win this

Can't wait to see the WC semi finalists getting spanked by Egypt in the quarters as usual 😂
AFCON and WC are two differents football my friend.. To be semi finalists at the last WC doesn't guarantee you to be good at the AFCON and vice versa.

Egypt knows it too well when they won the AFCON 3 times in a row without going at the WC 06 and 10.

Best of luck to the Atlas Lions

Capture d’écran 2024-01-08 à 20.29.22.png

Tough day for the Super Eagles, they lost in their last prep game for the AFCON 2023 against Guinea and Victor Boniface the Bayer Leverkusen striker is out for the competition.

Who Nigeria should call up to replace Victor Boniface, Terem Moffi from Nice, Gift Orban from La Gantoise, another name ?

View attachment 256206

Tough day for the Super Eagles, they lost in their last prep game for the AFCON 2023 against Guinea and Victor Boniface the Bayer Leverkusen striker is out for the competition.

Who Nigeria should call up to replace Victor Boniface, Terem Moffi from Nice, Gift Orban from La Gantoise, another name ?
Blow for us too, onus on Patrik Schick to fill his void. He's only recently back from injury, and scored a 15-minute hattrick before the winter break.

As far as Nigeria are concerned, I would go for Moffi, leading the line for Nice

Blow for us too, onus on Patrik Schick to fill his void. He's only recently back from injury, and scored a 15-minute hattrick before the winter break.

As far as Nigeria are concerned, I would go for Moffi, leading the line for Nice
Yes Moffi seem to have the same profile as Bonfiace.

Senegal the reigning champion hardly beat Niger at the very last minute of the additional time 90+8. 1-0

After Victor Boniface, another striker of the Super Eagles will be out of the tournament due to injury. Not a great week for Nigeria.

Attachments

• GDn0UOuWYAAUzui.jpeg
    GDn0UOuWYAAUzui.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 7
The last top goalscorer of the AFCON 2021 is probably out of the competition is going to be tougher for Cameroon without Vincent Aboubakar.

Capture d’écran 2024-01-12 à 23.11.52.png

Happy AFCON day to everyone, the African Party start in couple hours with the opening game of this competition between the hosting nation Ivory Coast and Guinea Bissau. 🤩

The hosting nation never lost their opening game since Burkina Faso in 1998 (0-1 vs. Cameroon) 🧠

I hope y'all are hype, good luck to every nations at the end Africa win ! 🌍

GDp0373XEAACaqE.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom