Developer(s)Motive Studio[a]
Publisher(s)Electronic Arts
EngineFrostbite
Platform(s)PlayStation 5
Windows
Xbox Series X/S
ReleaseJanuary 27, 2023
Genre(s)Survival horror

Just got it, havent got a game on release since...really ever. Perhaps since Alien Isolation. Never played the original because the tinman looked so goofy. But this seems a bit more grounded and looks like has more atmosphere, so i'll gamble.

Looking forward to it. Never played original either.
Want to do both this and Calisto Protocol as soon as I finish Witcher.
Heard very good things about original and remake is getting some good reviews also

Looking forward to it. Never played original either.
Want to do both this and Calisto Protocol as soon as I finish Witcher.
Heard very good things about original and remake is getting some good reviews also
You're in for a treat. It might not have the same impact as it did in 2008 as this game rejuvenated survival horror back then, since then Resident Evil 2 Remake & The Last of US games have kind of recaptured and innovated the tension expected of the genre.

I imagine they've taken that into account while remaking this and i'm confident they've worked round to keep this game fresh to both original and new players who have played more modern survival horror since.

You're in for a treat. It might not have the same impact as it did in 2008 as this game rejuvenated survival horror back then, since then Resident Evil 2 Remake & The Last of US games have kind of recaptured and innovated the tension expected of the genre.

I imagine they've taken that into account while remaking this and i'm confident they've worked round to keep this game fresh to both original and new players who have played more modern survival horror since.
Last of Us is not survivor horror, nor Dead Space. As for example neither had backtracking. Both were on rail horror games rather. Im a survivor horror purist:R1:LMAO:
Now i heard DS Remake does have kinda backtracking this is one of the reasons i got it. Hope its not just stupid collectables but because to be able to advance in the game.

Last of Us is not survivor horror, nor Dead Space. As for example neither had backtracking. Both were on rail horror games rather. Im a survivor horror purist:R1:LMAO:
Now i heard DS Remake does have kinda backtracking this is one of the reasons i got it. Hope its not just stupid collectables but because to be able to advance in the game.
I think Last of Us technically is more Survival Horror than say, action horror or anything else because the game places emphasis on being selective with your limited resources, self preservation and trying to avoid unnecessary conflict all while being under the backdrop of a tense and unknown environment.

I don't think not having backtracking automatically disqualifies it as survival horror.

I don't think not having backtracking automatically disqualifies it as survival horror.
Of course not, Survival horror is about the feeling and emotions it creates through its mechanics but doesn't need to always have the same mechanics.

Otherwise it would be that if you take the innovators of FPS Doom and Wolfenstein and one of their mechanics being keycards and then say: any Shooter that doesn't have Keycards, is not a FPS.

Of course not, Survival horror is about the feeling and emotions it creates through its mechanics but doesn't need to always have the same mechanics.

Otherwise it would be that if you take the innovators of FPS Doom and Wolfenstein and one of their mechanics being keycards and then say: any Shooter that doesn't have Keycards, is not a FPS.
I think Last of Us technically is more Survival Horror than say, action horror or anything else because the game places emphasis on being selective with your limited resources, self preservation and trying to avoid unnecessary conflict all while being under the backdrop of a tense and unknown environment.

Football games without goal posts are football games? :P
Classic RE games are the benchmark for survivor horror. These modern horror games are often labelled as survivor horror but they arent just people tend to forget what the genre’s core mechanics. Needless to say those games are great games. But TLOU is also rather an Uncharted clone without the climb mechanics but with craft mechanics plus horror elements.

From a Game Design perspective: Backtracking is not a Core Mechanic of Survival Horror.

Per Definition "Survival" Core mechanics are: Scarcity of items (Ammo, Health etc)
Non-regenerating health
Enemies that are easy to beat as one but tough in a group.
Usually also underpowered Main characters that can only take a few hits.

Yes Resident Evil was important for Survival Horror even though you could argue Sweet Home on the NES invented it. But Resident Evil wasn't Survival Horror because you backtracked through a mansion. It was because you were underpowered, you had limited resources and item slots etc. You had to work with what you have to Survive

Backtracking can be one mechanic to support the core mechanics (you have to plan how to get back to a room) but again from a Game Design perspective it is not necessary since you can create the Dread of Survival Horror even without it. Dead Space did even in the Original and it was a Masterpiece of Survival Horror. It was about SURVIVING on a Space Ship overrun by otherworldly entities. Finding ways to dismember them and using your limited resources as a non action hero but simple Engineer.

So your Goalpost argument is a weak one because it is apples and Oranges. I mentioned the Key cards in Doom which is a much better comparison. Elements of early FPS was backtracking to rooms. It was part of the atmosphere, level design and a common theme be it Doom, Duke Nukem and even Quake. But it is not a Key Element to call it an FPS. And the same is true for Survival Horror.

Every Game in it's core is build on Pillars that determine every design choice you make. Backtracking is not one of the Core Design Pillars but part of Supporting Mechanics.

And this has nothing to do with being a "Survival Purist". These are principals that are taught in every Game Design course and most Game Designers know by heart.

First step is to decide on Emotions you want a player to feel. Then you decide on Core Pillars that achieve that (Scarcity, Vulnerability etc) and then you look how you can support them.

Basically you create Mechanics that through Dynamics (interaction with those mechanics) create Aesthetics (Emotions) in the player).

Last edited:
From a Game Design perspective: Backtracking is not a Core Mechanic of Survival Horror.

Per Definition "Survival" Core mechanics are: Scarcity of items (Ammo, Health etc)
Non-regenerating health
Enemies that are easy to beat as one but tough in a group.
Usually also underpowered Main characters that can only take a few hits.

Yes Resident Evil was important for Survival Horror even though you could argue Sweet Home on the NES invented it. But Resident Evil wasn't Survival Horror because you backtracked through a mansion. It was because you were underpowered, you had limited resources and item slots etc. You had to work with what you have to Survive

Backtracking can be one mechanic to support the core mechanics (you have to plan how to get back to a room) but again from a Game Design perspective it is not necessary since you can create the Dread of Survival Horror even without it. Dead Space did even in the Original and it was a Masterpiece of Survival Horror. It was about SURVIVING on a Space Ship overrun by otherworldly entities. Finding ways to dismember them and using your limited resources as a non action hero but simple Engineer.

So your Goalpost argument is a weak one because it is apples and Oranges. I mentioned the Key cards in Doom which is a much better comparison. Elements of early FPS was backtracking to rooms. It was part of the atmosphere, level design and a common theme be it Doom, Duke Nukem and even Quake. But it is not a Key Element to call it an FPS. And the same is true for Survival Horror.

Every Game in it's core is build on Pillars that determine every design choice you make. Backtracking is not one of the Core Design Pillars but part of Supporting Mechanics.

And this has nothing to do with being a "Survival Purist". These are principals that are taught in every Game Design course and most Game Designers know by heart.

First step is to decide on Emotions you want a player to feel. Then you decide on Core Pillars that achieve that (Scarcity, Vulnerability etc) and then you look how you can support them.

Basically you create Mechanics that through Dynamics (interaction with those mechanics) create Aesthetics (Emotions) in the player).
Disagree. What can i say? :D But we can open a separate topic for this. I did not know there are this many horror game fans are here.

Fuck this game and fuck pc gaming. The game doesnt work since the last patch. Loads my game then stutters only, quitting to the main menu results in endles black screen. Last time i bought any aaa game on pc, only do indies which are not fucking up my rig.

FUCK PC GAMING

I am having some fun playing this one. It looks great and quite immersive even if I can't play it more than hour in a raw. It is quite exhausting and stressful to be always on your guard.

From a performance stand point, I have activated re-sizable bar and I am seeing about 10 fps increase in performance. I am most of the time around 70 fps but there is brief moments where it goes as low as 55 fps.

Last edited:
I just reached the end of the second chapter. I had such a hard time going through the moment with the dead's captain body. I had to replay it more than 20 times. I wish they added an option to skip cutscenes when replaying the same thing.

What helped me to go through was to destroy every dead body inside the morgue before entering the room with the captain body. That way I only had to fight 2 necromorphs. The one made of the captain body and the infector one.

I am now at the end of chapter 4. The game is really growing on me. I am alternating between this and RE4 remake and Dead space wins the goosebumps battle so far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom