Tranmere Rovers
vftmmK9.png

Publisher: EA SPORTS
Developer: EA SPORTS
Genre: Sports
Player(s): Up to 4 locally, many online
System(s): PS5, Xbox Series S/X, PC
Release Date: 24th March 2023

Well who saw that coming? PGA Tour 2K21 has got some competition...

Sadly, the press release features the phrase "approachable gameplay", so it sounds bad. But never mind.

Eurogamer preview here (including info such as the dev team in charge).

EDIT 22/01/23:

Course list:
  • Augusta National
  • St Andrews
  • Pebble Beach
  • The Country Club
  • Southern Hills
  • TPC Sawgrass
  • East Lake
  • Wilmington Country Club
  • TPC Boston
  • TPC Southwind
  • TPC Scottsdale
  • Whistling Straits
  • PGA West
  • Quail Hollow
  • Torrey Pines
  • Kiawah Island Ocean Course
  • Chambers Bay
  • Banff Springs
  • Wolf Creek
  • Bay Hill
  • Liberty National
  • Harbour Town
  • Riviera Country Club
  • Tara Iti
  • Top of the Rock
  • Bandon Dunes
  • Evian Resort
  • Teeth of the Dog
  • Wetlands (fantasy course)
  • Lighthouse Pointe (fantasy course)

Player list:
  • Scottie Scheffler
  • Cameron Champ
  • Xander Schauffele
  • Im Sung-jae
  • Nelly Korda
  • Lexi Thompson
  • Jordan Spieth
  • Tony Finau
  • Hideki Matsuyama

Most probably you'll need to do a microtransaction to "Press X" to get into the main menu of the game. After this you'll need again to buy with real money the starter clubs.

Nothing announced as yet, just says a next gen experience.
So in EA terms, that means it will contain microtransactions from unlocking your favourite pro, to buying that pink club you want or specific logo on a shirt.

2k golf is very far from being acceptable, I have very good memories of EA golf in the distant past, I really hope they will release it for PC too, if not I will start looking for a next generation console

• Staff

My favourite golf tournament... Was lucky to go a long time ago, at Royal Birkdale.

Damn, EA. You've got me.

• Staff
Trailer dropping tomorrow (4pm UK time):

Some screenshots:

This one in particular I thought was stunning, genuinely photo-realistic:

zYLk2Mm.jpg

I remember Golf games being really relaxing and fun. Haven't played one since Links back in the early 2000's! This looks awesome. :) Will be looking forward to checking this out.

Last edited:
Holy shit, those graphics though.

The sim elements (unique swings and ball physics for every element) sound amazing...

...but the old arcade "move your ball mid-flight" controls are still there, which are so stupid...

...but you can turn them off and set the gameplay to "simulation". Brilliant.

As long as you can play a "simulation" match online...

Is there a list of pros in the game yet?
There's not many that have been announced so far, but you can see the currently announced ones here (along with confirmation of 28 real courses, and 2 fantasy ones which presumably are there to replace some they couldn't get a license for - or simply wouldn't pay for, at least):

https://www.ea.com/games/ea-sports-pga-tour/faq

Course list:
  • Augusta National
  • St Andrews
  • Pebble Beach
  • The Country Club
  • Southern Hills
  • TPC Sawgrass
  • East Lake
  • Wilmington Country Club
  • TPC Boston
  • TPC Southwind
  • TPC Scottsdale
  • Whistling Straits
  • PGA West
  • Quail Hollow
  • Torrey Pines
  • Kiawah Island Ocean Course
  • Chambers Bay
  • Banff Springs
  • Wolf Creek
  • Bay Hill
  • Liberty National
  • Harbour Town
  • Riviera Country Club
  • Tara Iti
  • Top of the Rock
  • Bandon Dunes
  • Evian Resort
  • Teeth of the Dog
  • Wetlands (fantasy course)
  • Lighthouse Pointe (fantasy course)

Compared to PGA 2K23, they're missing the following courses: Atlantic Beach Country Club; Copperhead (Innisbrook); Detroit Golf Club; St George’s Golf and Country Club; The Renaissance Club; TPC Deere Run; TPC Louisiana; TPC River Highlands; TPC San Antonio; TPC Summerlin; TPC Twin Cities.

Player list:
  • Scottie Scheffler
  • Cameron Champ
  • Xander Schauffele
  • Im Sung-jae
  • Nelly Korda
  • Lexi Thompson
  • Jordan Spieth
  • Tony Finau
  • Hideki Matsuyama

Last edited:
There's a good article over at Dexerto.com with some interesting developments:

• A new online mode will see up to 16 players compete in a mini-tournament with a full leaderboard and the ability to see other players take their shots around you. (Why can't FIFA have this?)

• The 2023 Open’s course Royal Liverpool, Olympia Fields, and the 2023 Ryder Cup venue Marco Simeone Golf & Country Club are just some of the post-launch courses on the way. (Glad to hear at least one more UK course is on the way.)

• Seasonal content may become a factor as time goes on with the team confirming that there may be “more to be released on it later,” and the game will possibly embrace the live service element that has become so prevalent in the world of games. (No more yearly releases?)

...but still no word if the "move your ball in-flight" bollocks can be turned off online.

EA have "liked" this tweet, which seems really petty and fairly unprofessional, but also... Undeniable...

Does graphics really matter that much on a golf game?
I am no professional, but actually find Switch Sports Golf better than most golf games.

Also EA probably didn't mention screenshot A was taken on a 4090 on Ultra settings 2K22 was on a PS4 standard - As surely 2K22 doesn't look that bad on a PS5.

Release date has been put back a week, presumably for those "updates to courses to reflect 2023 designs" as no other reason is mentioned...

Release date has been put back a week, presumably for those "updates to courses to reflect 2023 designs" as no other reason is mentioned...

Playtesters didn’t think the game was easy enough so had to make some additional tweaks.

With one feedback stating “The ball doesn’t go down the hole when I press a button so the game is broken”

Playtesters didn’t think the game was easy enough so had to make some additional tweaks.

With one feedback stating “The ball doesn’t go down the hole when I press a button so the game is broken”
EA really need to begin releasing snowflake versions of a game then the original version.

EA really need to begin releasing snowflake versions of a game then the original version.
No EA already release a snowflake version of the game, but then the snowflakes moan that the game is still not easy enough (I can't achieve what I want to achieve with no training or effort)
So they keep patching it to make it even more accesible.

Never been a golf fan, but it's look great.
I remember for no reason that i compared golf games with snooker/8pool well billards games

Sad no one try to release a relatively realistic version of that discipline. I imagine it will be out with the VR2 and some add on.

Back to the thread, i never ever tried a golf game over 16-32 bits. There were already enough parameters. If there's 15 stuffs to balance between each Tour, it's competently made with a "interdiction for Vialli and people like him" on the box

Never been a golf fan, but it's look great.
I remember for no reason that i compared golf games with snooker/8pool well billards games

Sad no one try to release a relatively realistic version of that discipline. I imagine it will be out with the VR2 and some add on.

Back to the thread, i never ever tried a golf game over 16-32 bits. There were already enough parameters. If there's 15 stuffs to balance between each Tour, it's competently made with a "interdiction for Vialli and people like him" on the box
Huh? You've never played Virtual Pool? Or Links? There were sims out there for both sports. It's just the laziness of nowadays devs to provide a good sim of many sports. They're just trying to make easy money from microtransactions etc.

Back
Top Bottom