eFootball (All Platforms)

Pardon my ignorance, but what can you win (if anything) on Dream Team? Are there any cups or leagues to be won?

I just can't interpret this hyper-competitive culture (the one that brings about paid-for coaching) when there seems to be nothing to compete for. Other than to make your squad excellent, which doesn't seem to be very difficult, and achievable in little time,

Gaming, 2022.
there is a lot of coaching involved in sim racing… but I get it there. It’s the closest an esport comes to the real thing. But this… 😂
…and I bet he’s making good money.
Coaching in a manipulated online game?

May as well sell betting tips on Pro Wrestling.

I suppose the trick to selling crypto, nfts, video game coaching & maybe even public bridges is all about finding the right audience. And I guess that audience would flock to the social experiments that the fut/dream team modes truly are. That "new crowd" Konami mentioned.

Last edited:
How in the fuck does that clip look good to you? All around the 0:07-0:08 mark:

View attachment 165986

So in stage 1, you get to some strange position where the ball is between you both. In stage 2, opponent player starts to inexplicably run to the side away from the ball. In stage 3 – definitely the best stage! – your player actively runs to the side and away from the ball to follow the player who went walkies before him. And then in stage 4 he's back to the ball (having remembered it) and clear in space.

That wasn't some spectacular dummy. It was pure bollocks :LOL:

You can just about see what they're trying to code there, in terms of a dummy, but the implementation of it is terrible and it doesn't relate to the actual "1 on 1" that's on the pitch. Just a canned dummy animation with a rubbish trigger.
Ummm wut? Are you intentionally misinterpreting everything you saw in motion?
How in the fuck does that clip look good to you? All around the 0:07-0:08 mark:

View attachment 165986

So in stage 1, you get to some strange position where the ball is between you both. In stage 2, opponent player starts to inexplicably run to the side away from the ball. In stage 3 – definitely the best stage! – your player actively runs to the side and away from the ball to follow the player who went walkies before him. And then in stage 4 he's back to the ball (having remembered it) and clear in space.

That wasn't some spectacular dummy. It was pure bollocks :LOL:

You can just about see what they're trying to code there, in terms of a dummy, but the implementation of it is terrible and it doesn't relate to the actual "1 on 1" that's on the pitch. Just a canned dummy animation with a rubbish trigger.
Uhmm what? Are you intentionally misinterpreting everything you saw in motion, and showing it in static screenshots to make a false point?

Here's the clip again for reference:

So in stage 1, you get to some strange position where the ball is between you both.
You mean when Firmino stopped the ball with his left foot to push it to the left before the Arsenal player tackles him?

In stage 2, opponent player starts to inexplicably run to the side away from the ball
Well, he tackled Firmino and has been pushed to the right by the force of his own lunge towards Firmino. The turn away was excessive, I agree. But that's not what I was referencing in these clips. I was referencing Firmino's ability to stop and control the ball and his dribble direction in such close quarters, something we couldn't do so easily in PES.

In stage 3 – definitely the best stage! – your player actively runs to the side and away from the ball to follow the player who went walkies before him.
Umm, what? He's not 'actively running' anywhere. In the actual video you can clearly see he was pushed a little to the side by the tackle. The ball moved away to the left because Firmino pushed it to the left before the tackle.

Not sure why you're doing this honestly :D Both the clip and why I was showing it were clear in the post.

edit: and let me ask you, what happens in those situations (when it’s already great) if you do use the sprint button (wich makes sense from time to time)?

If you use the sprint button in EF, it's absolutely great and even more effective than PES because you can easily gain new territory because the charging defenders have realistic momentum that will make it difficult for them to shift it quickly and chance you down. The game rewards you for finding space to exploit. Check out how Mendy sprints into space and leave a charging defender coming directly at him in the dust:

Ummm wut? Are you intentionally misinterpreting everything you saw in motion?

Uhmm what? Are you intentionally misinterpreting everything you saw in motion, and showing it in static screenshots to make a false point?

Here's the clip again for reference:

You mean when Firmino stopped the ball with his left foot to push it to the left before the Arsenal player tackles him?

Well, he tackled Firmino and has been pushed to the right by the force of his own lunge towards Firmino. The turn away was excessive, I agree. But that's not what I was referencing in these clips. I was referencing Firmino's ability to stop and control the ball and his dribble direction in such close quarters, something we couldn't do so easily in PES.

Umm, what? He's not 'actively running' anywhere. In the actual video you can clearly see he was pushed a little to the side by the tackle. The ball moved away to the left because Firmino pushed it to the left before the tackle.

Not sure why you're doing this honestly :D Both the clip and why I was showing it were clear in the post.
I understand you might want to show something else with the clip.

What is also in the clip is something that looks really bad though, and is a paradigmatic example of how they've fucked inertia/momentum in this implementation.

I used screens rather than just repaste the video, and it's easier to see in stages.

The third stage, on looking at again, is still as ridiculous as the other times I've watched it. I don't see him get pushed there, and can't see a tackle. But if that's what it's supposed to be, it's again, just a terrible implementation.

I'm amazed people can't spot how bad this game looks even among the bits they think are new/groundbreaking/Konami are being kind actually (haven't forgotten that gem).

If you use the sprint button in EF, it's absolutely great and even more effective than PES because you can easily gain new territory because the charging defenders have realistic momentum that will make it difficult for them to shift it quickly and chance you down. The game rewards you for finding space to exploit. Check out how Mendy sprints into space and leave a charging defender coming directly at him in the dust:

I don't want to bang a drum, but I'm going to anyway.

The AI coding here is atrocious. No attempt to squeeze or mark the space, players just run back as fast as possible (something Matt10 has complained about in PES for years).

Yes, there's a lot of space, and maybe it feels rewarding having gotten into it, but the amount of space is criminal and it's an offshoot of how bad the defensive AI is.

Yes, there's a lot of space, and maybe it feels rewarding having gotten into it

I have no idea why it would feel rewarding running into space that's already there, I thought it's a sport about covering and creating space. If it's already there because of bad positioning & AI, what's the point? That's why I find the games with no midfield pointless.

On the other hand I see 2 red cards in that clip, so maybe that has something to do with it.

But regardless, the only thing that clip showcases is how you can sprint from box to box which you would think is a problem rather than something to proudly show off.

Last edited:
On the other hand I see 2 red cards in that clip, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Good spot, I didn't see that.

But yeah, I do agree. There's too much space in all the games I've played with all players on the pitch. Hence why a simple ball through the middle of the park will always find a player. There's just no midfield in eFootball, and there hasn't been one in PES for a good 6 years either.

To the extent there's one in the other game, that's only with the help of tactical tweaks in the menu and then slider changes. Sad times really. It's my number one bugbear. I just want a football sim that actually simulates what real games are like – which means that midfields ought to exist.

To the extent there's one in the other game, that's only with the help of tactical tweaks in the menu and then slider changes. Sad times really. It's my number one bugbear. I just want a football sim that actually simulates what real games are like – which means that midfields ought to exist.

Fully agree, and I don't think there's any meaningful midfield in fifa either in the last 4-5 years.

In fact in fifa 20, which is the last I tried, I had recorded a clip of me sprinting with my CB from my box, all the way up the field and taking a shot. The 1v1 bollocks was introduced in 20 so all I had to do was simply keep a distance from the 1 player that was allowed to defend.

It looked terrible. Never imagined it could be used to showcase how rewarding sprinting is, until now. 🤣

So sprinting is doing what it’s supposed to do but in combination with the „new“ momentum, it’s working better than ever before?!

I was playing both back to back last night. SU vanilla and EF. Multiple times! SE is faster per se, EF is slower due to the inertia. But I don’t know what it is… the animations or the inputs, maybe both… but EF is at a point, where the sum of its parts make it feel sluggish (in a bad way). I said it in one of my first impressions of EF, I do welcome the thought and vision behind it, it’s just not so well executed. I like to think ahead but I don’t like to make my button inputs ahead… I hope you get me.

Gaming, 2022.
Capitalism.

And yes, a wee bit "gaming, 2022" too.

The thing is and as foreign as it is to me gaming is a potential money maker. Streaming, even if not playing games, is a potential money maker. My feelings are mixed on it but I'm not the target audience or of the age in which I would find myself growing up in an environment in which a 'career' in streaming/pro gaming is one that I would desire.

I guess I'm generally okay with someone in their youth wanting to aspire to try make a living from gaming, so long as their head is screwed, are well-rounded an individual and they seek not to exploit others too outrageously.

Elsewhere, this is agonising...

Have taken to more online play with my mostly GP only developed squad (one legend, Kahn, and a Nominating Contract Rice the only 'special' players) and I am enjoying it. I'm surprised by how much I am holding my own...and I am absolutely not some high skilled player. It just feels reasonably well balanced to me, taking out all the issues I have with the game elsewhere.

Played a load of 'bought' teams that are a few hundred points stronger than my just over 2400 lot and I have destroyed a fair few of them.

It's agonising because of the wrapper the game is in. I'm not joking but when I play online and feel like it is more my skill and style that can keep me in games against way stronger teams it takes me back to some local multiplayer times with the PS2 games. Not saying it is on par or anything, but it does evoke memories of those times.

So yeah, the more I play (when I can) the more I find my peace with the gameplay but curse the gameplay environment.

And you just know that if this were to hold true with the gameplay then team strength restricted challenges and the likes could be great... but will likely never happen!

This is what's most bewildering about people saying "it's not the next PES, they're JUST testing the netcode". It's like, do you guys even know what that means? Literally what is the point of testing a random game you don't plan to release to "test the servers"?

Not to mention all the other stuff in it that would be bizarre for a non-game test-only release: stadium announcer with all these lines, souped-up gameplan, continuous in-play/out-of-play animations, new control scheme with PlayStation pad explainers, pre-game cutscenes, a new defending system, etc etc.

The idea that they've created all those changes just for a weird test code that isn't the base for the next main sequel is even more insane than Konami are.
I was just scrolling back through the thread looking for something and came across an argument (one of many) I was having with people on here who insisted that the "New Football Game" release was actually "just a stress test" :LOL:

Funnily enough, it's a year ago to the day almost... Oh how obviously wrong it was to me (and plenty others) back then, but also how sad it is now – because I think maybe 80% of us here would wish that it were so.

There was a time about a year ago where there was a glimmer of hope for a new PES, purely in the uncertainty of everything and the lack of communication. And then that trailer...

A year on:
  • No ML
  • No Edit Mode
  • No BAL
  • No friendly or team play lobbies
  • No co-op
  • No freedom with match lengths
  • No freedom with stadium time of day
  • Buggy, unresponsive gameplay
  • Broken manual passing
  • Same old flawed defensive AI
  • Significantly inferior ball physics
  • Dream Team re-work of myClub – replete still with lootboxes and eye-wateringly expensive packs
  • Features announced on a roadmap? Crossplay, including with mobile phones
That's where we're at, a year on from a time when some could sustain a slice of hope despite the writing on the wall.

I don't want to bang a drum, but I'm going to anyway.

The AI coding here is atrocious. No attempt to squeeze or mark the space, players just run back as fast as possible (something Matt10 has complained about in PES for years).

Yes, there's a lot of space, and maybe it feels rewarding having gotten into it, but the amount of space is criminal and it's an offshoot of how bad the defensive AI is.
I'm sorry can you point again what's the problem with Mendy bursting into the empty space?

Each defender has a mark he's tracking. One defender even leaves Caravjal unmarked on the side to try to close onto Mendy.

I mean, do I need to show clips of the same happening in real life? I know Matip recently galloped into a midfield and made it all the way to the box with every other opposition player busy with his mark. Here's the clip again for reference so you don't need to scroll up on a phone:

I feel like it's starting to get a lot 'cooler' to criticize the game here even if the critique isn't really based on something actually wrong with the game, even though there is PLENTY that is wrong with the game.

I'm sorry can you point again what's the problem with Mendy bursting into the empty space?

Each defender has a mark he's tracking. One defender even leaves Caravjal unmarked on the side to try to close onto Mendy.
I don't think it's something any of us will be able to point you to, since we're looking at the same thing you are – it's just you look at that open space and see reward, and we look at it and think: what terrible programming. As for "each has a man he's tracking" and "one defender even leaves" another player unmarked... wow: welcome to the modern football press, where everyone stays attached to a man and maybe one player might leave to go and do a half-hearted press.

This is just not how space is compressed in real life in most top-flight games across Europe. The back lines here are acres apart; the AI back line is broken needlessly when Mendy gets into space; teams in real life do not generally stick to man-marking principles; midfield congestion is actually a thing in real life too.

What's clearly worsened it here – something @manmachine pointed out and I had failed to see at first – is the 2 red cards. Maybe that's why there's basically no defending and no midfield. (But for that reason also it just doesn't look to a lot of us as very rewarding to have found that space :LOL:)

The point is also that it's a more general problem in this game (not confined to your match), and that it was a massive problem in PES too. Some people lauded recent PES games as the epitome of realism, but it's this complete lack of care for real tactics, shapes, and patterns that sticks out like a sore thumb for the rest of us.

That's also why this point is petty and unfounded:
I feel like it's starting to get a lot 'cooler' to criticize the game here even if the critique isn't really based on something actually wrong with the game, even though there is PLENTY that is wrong with the game.
Not only is this criticism relevant to your clip, it's relevant to eFootball as a whole, and to PES going back years also. I'm sorry you don't think that there's anything "actually wrong" in how this game simulates defensive principles in football.

I'm not alone in pointing this out either, to others here also the problem is glaring:
I have no idea why it would feel rewarding running into space that's already there, I thought it's a sport about covering and creating space. If it's already there because of bad positioning & AI, what's the point? That's why I find the games with no midfield pointless.

But regardless, the only thing that clip showcases is how you can sprint from box to box which you would think is a problem rather than something to proudly show off.
Man the absence of any kind of midfield combined with the behaviour of the single cpu players.. I seriously don't get how could somebody find that clip appealing in any way. But.. to each his own I guess.

I don't think it's something any of us will be able to point you to, since we're looking at the same thing you are – it's just you look at that open space and see reward, and we look at it and think: what terrible programming. As for "each has a man he's tracking" and "one defender even leaves" another player unmarked... wow: welcome to the modern football press, where everyone stays attached to a man and maybe one player might leave to go and do a half-hearted press.

This is just not how space is compressed in real life in most top-flight games across Europe. The back lines here are acres apart; the AI back line is broken needlessly when Mendy gets into space; teams in real life do not generally stick to man-marking principles; midfield congestion is actually a thing in real life too.

What's clearly worsened it here – something @manmachine pointed out and I had failed to see at first – is the 2 red cards. Maybe that's why there's basically no defending and no midfield. (But for that reason also it just doesn't look to a lot of us as very rewarding to have found that space :LOL:)

The point is also that it's a more general problem in this game (not confined to your match), and that it was a massive problem in PES too. Some people lauded recent PES games as the epitome of realism, but it's this complete lack of care for real tactics, shapes, and patterns that sticks out like a sore thumb for the rest of us.

That's also why this point is petty and unfounded:

Not only is this criticism relevant to your clip, it's relevant to eFootball as a whole, and to PES going back years also. I'm sorry you don't think that there's anything "actually wrong" in how this game simulates defensive principles in football.

I'm not alone in pointing this out either, to others here also the problem is glaring:

Aha, so your issue is "why such a space exists to begin with". Because honestly I don't have an issue with how the defenders are reacting. Yes, there were two red cards with Levante, which was a breath of fresh air when playing against Legend and I could not remember when's the last time the AI was given two straight reds in all my years of playing PES. Yes, having two red cards creates abnormally big space, and I'm glad the game's dribbling/momentum mechanics allowed me to exploit that space.

Player positioning in general in EF is actually better than PES. I started playing 1.0 already having written my review that PES was miles ahead when it came to off-ball positioning, with all the tactical settings it had etc. But then few weeks in, I actually did notice a more coherent movement in both attacking and defending.

No matter in PES if I selected the "counterattacking" style, my players won't move forward as smoothly when possession shifts. Pay special attention to Modric receiving the ball while turning to make the next logical pass across the pitch easier:

Match up is a game changer, even though I still think it should be turned on by default, without having to press a button. Players will never ignore a ball passing by them so it should be part of human behavior to intercept. But it's still better than PES where players will casually ignore balls and rarely attempt to intercept.

And it did make a huge difference to have a defender like VVD with a wider span, and better coverage when blocking a shot:

I didn't know PES Mobile is also affected with unreal engine, i thought it's only on PC. Now their main cash cow can't be modded and share the same fate as PC. With3.3* review on google playstore I wonder if konami keep pushing unreal engine to fully extent (efootball is still using hybrid unreal + fox) or back using fox engine.

I've went from hating the defending and wondering what they hell they have done to absolutely loving it. The face-up thing properly works. Really like the passive aggressive approach you can use in the game.

Yes, still a fair bit they need to do to nail down a few things but love how patience and doing things that you would do in real life are applicable here (like showing players onto their weaker foot or ushering them wide) and it is all just driven by one button and the left stick. I hardly ever use the the secondary press button and when I do is just with my CF.
I did too once I really sat down and learned the mechanics. Look, it takes a lot. You have to manage your back-line depth with the D-Pad, use your A/D levels, and know when to use the 2nd man press button. It's not perfect by any means as the AI CBs still get a bit too wide and allow runners right down the middle but instead of tight marking attackers I've been tight marking midfielders to prevent the link up pass.
What is your opinion on match-up button?

To me it is a mechanism that should be easy to implement, but in this state it is broken.
First introduced, it was overpowered, and now it is just a cheap tool for them to differentiate player stats. By that I mean if a great passing stats player makes a pass it just go through defenders legs. And if there is a good dribbling stats player then defender doesn't react, or over reacts on fake shots. IMO, it shouldn't be implemented that way.

By easy implementation I mean: when button pressed, player should change its posture in "ready to intercept, aware of the ball" state, but movement of player should be manual. In this state movement is slower, but player is aware of the ball and ready to intercept. There is still stats involved regarding movement speed, reaction and reach.

In this state it is just random and there is no skill gap.

It's growing on me. It's very sensitive to the sprint button which I try not to use when defending apart from preventing counters as you'll overrun the play in normal defensive scenarios. My biggest issue with it is like you said, being ready to intercept the ball, something Chris Davies has pointed out in his vids a lot and something I agree with 100%. I wish there was a button input that sticks out a leg without having to worry about initiating a one touch pass.

. I wish there was a button input that sticks out a leg without having to worry about initiating a one touch pass.
Yep. I too have match up linked to the pass button, and it's becoming clearer that I should have linked it to L2 but years and years of intercepting with the pass button made it very difficult to get used to that.

I did too once I really sat down and learned the mechanics. Look, it takes a lot. You have to manage your back-line depth with the D-Pad, use your A/D levels, and know when to use the 2nd man press button. It's not perfect by any means as the AI CBs still get a bit too wide and allow runners right down the middle but instead of tight marking attackers I've been tight marking midfielders to prevent the link up pass.

It's growing on me. It's very sensitive to the sprint button which I try not to use when defending apart from preventing counters as you'll overrun the play in normal defensive scenarios. My biggest issue with it is like you said, being ready to intercept the ball, something Chris Davies has pointed out in his vids a lot and something I agree with 100%. I wish there was a button input that sticks out a leg without having to worry about initiating a one touch pass.
It’s possible. I do it with L2, which is also my shielding button. Cover lanes. Press L2 and stick a leg out.
it’s like my FIFA configuration. R1 plus L2 feels a bit off… compared to R1 plus R2, wich i know like forever.

changed my perspective a bit, because the Knight made me. 😄 Thinking Sunday league, wich i played, and it unfolds a bit different.

It’s possible. I do it with L2, which is also my shielding button. Cover lanes. Press L2 and stick a leg out.
it’s like my FIFA configuration. R1 plus L2 feels a bit off… compared to R1 plus R2, wich i know like forever.
OHhhhhhhhh

I've been holding down L2 to jockey. Old FIFA habits.

Thanks for the advice!

OHhhhhhhhh

I've been holding down L2 to jockey. Old FIFA habits.

Thanks for the advice!
yes. Don’t hold it. You can… bet let go and press it short time and stick a leg out. It’s like with the shielding. You have to press the button at the correct time to get the butt out. Like a mini game.

Played against a Division 1 player (I'm division 7,but for some reason the game matched me with a division 1 player) . It ended 4-4. Of course the game made sure I conceded in the last minute. All 4 goals were conceded because the damn game won't let me switch to the nearest defender. Makes me want to toss the whole damn laptop (from the 6th floor) . Regardless of if I win or lose the game leaves me fuming because it's so effing stupid 😤😅

Back
Top Bottom