Elden Ring [All Platforms]

janguv

Premiership
2 November 2016
Go on then, let's have a thread.

How are those who have this fantastic game enjoying it so far? And what platform do you have it on?

I'm playing on PS5, and generally I'm loving it. Much has been made of technical issues, though this affects the worst many PC setups and to some extent the Xbox side of things. I do get framerate drops here and there; if you want a buttery smooth 60 FPS, you can install the PS4 version onto PS5, which is a cool option to have.

Anyway, content wise, the art style is gorgeous, the world is interesting, and the bosses are suitably hard (but I'm learning fast how to fight them!). The biggest thing for me to adapt to as someone who loves single-play story games, is that the plot isn't delivered a traditional narrative form. It's lore and it's littered throughout the world, on the item descriptions, in the NPC dialogue, etc. So it's pretty much optional. I haven't yet been exploring that side of it, and I'm slightly worried I might end up missing a lot of it!

I'm using the Confessor class to have a good starting balance between strength and faith. So far it's been very tidy. Got myself a bronze shield and some good ash of war options too. Though increasingly I'm trying to dodge more than block. The guard counter is very effective – haven't yet timed a parry though, and may not bother.

Thanks for your report. I will buy it for sure, but i still got 3 games to finish before (same type of games > i'm a fan of SoulsBorne like)
I'll be honest, i'm a bit bored about the medieval-fantastic as i did the 3 Souls and currently Demon's Souls on PS5 so...
Let's say that i didn't really waited that game like i'm waiting "Black Myth : Wu-Kong" even if in terms of artistic design, it's more a graphical Unreal 5 Demo than a game with awesome artistic details.... But the atmosphere and the theme (Chinese mythologie based on the book who inspired Dragon Ball, don't know the english name) is different, like Bloodborne, Nioh, Sekiro etc.
I was waiting for a BBorne 2, but well. It's a FROM game, so i CAN'T make without buying it. Well, i stop here.
Sorry for the O.T., i was just explaining why i didn't brought that game day one lol. Back to Elden Ring discussion.

Some questions (don't want to annoy you too much, you can be very brief) : i love when there's a certain path, with liberty like in every Souls / but you need to reach a certain level to get to the second boss of to open a new location (example, after killing Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne)

But Elden Ring is a bit more an Open World, i like RPG-BTA mixed.
I'm not against Open World but not too much (like Souls, you need a certain level to fight against X bosses etc.). In counterpart i don't like MMORPG.
What could you tell me about the game overall system? I don't want to be spoiled so i don't go to X website and check levels etc., i already saw the one against a Dragon which was fantastic in terms of choreography.

Is it much much more RPG than a Souls? Do you need to build a house or things like in every MMORPG and all? Complicated in RPG terms or still simple and logic like a Souls?
I want to know if it's still more focused on Action-Fight-Adventure with a story behind than like a classic RPG with too much stuffs to do
... But as long as there's a lot of action and bosses, it won't cry. The game looks absolutely fantastic / But my questions are just a matter of interest. I don't care about tons of MMORPG stuffs, and it's annoying me so i'm asking what the game globally feels like.
Thanks.

EDIT/ About the PS5 version, there's no 60fps 1080p option? "Action" mode or "Cinema" mode like in GOW, Nioh etc.?
I know in SCCE games there's 3 option (action 60fps lower resolution, 30fps 4k or a mix with variable FPS and resolution, down to 1600x900 or 45fps etc.)
I didn't saw that on From Software games, well i need to check on Demon's Souls but i don't think that option was necessary for that game as it's a remake.

I don't really care about the resolution. What matter to me is the artistic design and fluidity.

Last edited:
What could you tell me about the game overall system? I don't want to be spoiled so i don't go to X website and check levels etc., i already saw the one against a Dragon which was fantastic in terms of choreography.

Is it much much more RPG than a Souls? Do you need to build a house or things like in every MMORPG and all? Complicated in RPG terms or still simple and logic like a Souls?

EDIT/ About the PS5 version, there's no 60fps 1080p option? "Action" mode or "Cinema" mode like in GOW, Nioh etc.?
I know in SCCE games there's 3 option (action 60fps lower resolution, 30fps 4k or a mix with variable FPS and resolution, down to 1600x900 or 45fps etc.)
I didn't saw that on From Software games, well i need to check on Demon's Souls but i don't think that option was necessary for that game as it's a remake.

I don't really care about the resolution. What matter to me is the artistic design and fluidity.
Hi mate, I tried to whittle down your text to just the questions haha.

I am not a Soulsborne player – this is the first game I've actually properly tried. I had Bloodborne but the frame drops annoyed me so I never picked it up again.

So I can't make comparisons with previous games, or with MMORPGs, because I don't play them either. I think the most apt comparison would be an open-world single-player RPG: think your Ubisoft style AC games, Witcher 3, RDR2 etc. And there are important differences here: you're not getting endless map markers, objectives lists, quest logs, etc. It's up to you to remember where stuff is and to connect the dots. It's about exploration first and foremost. The RPG elements are very simple: you level up your stats in accordance with what kind of build you want. I think essentially the same as former Souls games.

The new console versions have a switch: prioritise frame-rate or resolution. But both PS5/XSX struggle a bit with frame rate option. They target a dynamic resolution – I forget how high the upper/lower bounds are, but Digital Foundry have done loads of tests – but there's still frame stuttering. PS5 is currently the least affected of all platforms. There's no option for a stable 60FPS unless you have the digital download, because included is the PS4 version, which runs on PS5 using the PS4 Pro code base. In your case, you might like that – it outputs at a flat 1800p iirc, and a stable 60FPS the whole way. You'll lose some graphical features like shadow quality and maybe some draw distance stuff.

Thanks for the answer mate and sorry for the long post and unuseful explanation... That's a bad habit. I can't do without it when i talk about Soulsborne games lol as a great fan.

I don't care about loosing some graphical stuffs : fluidity is my main concern. Won't be a problem with a PS5 Pro hahaha

Now i see (way)better how the game is now. It was more vs MMORPG than i needed comparison for the rest i was pretty sure how it shoud be.
About "it's up to you to *****" is totally what you got in Souls series for example. There's no indication in Souls : you got to found yourself or remember the path to go from a place to another. It doesn't seems more complicated than a Souls, just some stuff in more regarding the Map, and the system. I've read that the map is really big, but there's a teleport system so no prob.

you're not getting endless map markers, objectives lists, quest logs, etc. It's up to you to remember where stuff is and to connect the dots. It's about exploration first and foremost. The RPG elements are very simple: you level up your stats in accordance with what kind of build you want. I think essentially the same as former Souls games.

That's what i really wanted from an Open World made by From Sotfware. Freedom, but not too much like a GTA or whatever. Focus on action, boosting your stats, buy some weapons and clothes to protect you from X type or zone (or found some, win a special weapon when you finish a "quest"), bosses to kills that bring you money and open some paths etc.

Now about the drops / there will be patch like in Souls III and Bloodborne that should decrease it (a lot, from experience).

About Bloodborne, at first sight, i was also really annoyed by the framedrop at launch, corrected after X patchs.
And in fact the game is a real masterpiece. It becames my favorite PS4 game, the atmosphere is unique, the design is so great, you don't even notice the aliasing or whatever. Technically it's not a super game but in term of design on levels and places, i didn't saw any game who reached that level of detail.

Spoil if you aren't interested about Soulsborne stuffs, my experience with Bloodborne. A bit similar as you, i was pretty annoyed by the technical issue from the game... But i was so wrong.

I told it to a friend that it's annoying me, he said to me "continue. You won't even see that later".
Then i brought a PS4 Pro > there's no frame drop (or very very few but due to the game engine not the support) just still on 30fps but whatever... Fluidity, less aliasing when you active both "Boost" and the other stuff who polish graphism, don't remember the name of that function.

Even old, even if the game is from 2015 and you got a PS5, i suggest anyone to give him a chance for the price it cost...
But Souls III too : in fact the game is easier so it's better to start with it (and it resume the whole story : no need to know DS 1 or 2

Note : The 2 is not made with Miyazaki, the boss of Souls, and it's like a spin-off. Still enjoyable btw, but it doesn't have the Soulsborne atmosphere)

I don't care about loosing some graphical stuffs : fluidity is my main concern. Won't be a problem with a PS5 Pro hahaha
I recommend then, if you have a PS5 already, either buying the PS4 disc version and installing that, or buying the PS5 digital version, which comes with the PS4 version included. Unfortunately, if you buy the disc version of the PS5 game, you don't get the PS4 version included as a digital package or anything. Then just run the PS4 version on PS5. The graphical trade-off for a completely stable 60 fps sounds worth it given your preferences.

I've considered loading up the PS4 package myself, but I don't know how easy it will be to transfer across my save file and I can't be bothered to mess around with it!
I've read that the map is really big, but there's a teleport system so no prob.
It is big, but it scales as you go along. So – most of the map is not visible to you via your map screen (though you can travel anywhere), and you find map pieces dotted around that then reveal the terrain to you for the map screen. It's a good way of being both massive and contained at the same time. There's so much to do just in the first area (West Limgrave), that I've found I've not even wanted to get much further yet.

I recommend when you first play it that you do a few things that are optional but really help how you explore the world – look up any guide, and they'll spell out that the first three "sites of grace" (i.e. bonfires) you should activate are in particular places, and they will give you the horse you need for travel (it's very quick and doesn't run out of stamina like RDR2 and Witcher etc.) as well as some essentials like the ability to summon spirits that fight alongside you. It also unlocks a couple story scenes that set up the plot.

After that, you're well set to just roam and find out what's around. There is a "guided path" that shows you the general direction to progress through the game, meet the main bosses, unlock the main plotline, etc. But it's entirely optional; you can even skip around some bosses apparently.

The sites of grace (former bonfires) are plentiful – from what I hear, they are more numerous and closer together than in Souls games. So if you want you can fast travel to them very easily, and on a PS5 this happens in a few seconds. That said, you may find with the aid of your steed, you just want to travel on horseback – it's still quick and there's so much to discover / meet / kill / loot, that you'll miss if you just fast travel somewhere. Unlike in many open-world games, the travel from A to B doesn't feel like a chore, and you can solve navigation struggles in ways that just require persistence and forethought – kind of like how in Death Stranding you can go anywhere as long as you adapt to the terrain, and unlike how in games like Horizon Zero Dawn you can only climb on surfaces that have a design language visual marker on them (painted yellow e.g.).

The horse has a jump and a double jump, and there are "whirlwinds" that allow you to boost high into the air. So yeah, long way of saying: exploration is great and you might find you don't want to take shortcuts.

That's what i really wanted from an Open World made by From Sotfware. Freedom, but not too much like a GTA or whatever. Focus on action, boosting your stats, buy some weapons and clothes to protect you from X type or zone (or found some, win a special weapon when you finish a "quest"), bosses to kills that bring you money and open some paths etc.
Yes, this is essentially what it's like.

About Bloodborne, at first sight, i was also really annoyed by the framedrop at launch, corrected after X patchs.
And in fact the game is a real masterpiece. It becames my favorite PS4 game, the atmosphere is unique, the design is so great, you don't even notice the aliasing or whatever. Technically it's not a super game but in term of design on levels and places, i didn't saw any game who reached that level of detail.
Yes, you're right, I did hear the framedrops were fixed. But what I really decided I was waiting for is an unlocked framerate on PS5. I believe they did that with DS3. Or just a 60FPS mode. Maybe it will never come though haha.

Thanks for the answers, so what have changed from Souls Series is especially the "open" Map and some RPG elements probably. No big deal.
On big advice @janguv , FROM SOFTWARE games are designed to be, like in old school games where you needed some guide from magazines or word-from-mouth to found a way to win against a boss or open an hidden level. Don't hesitate to check on websites some guides and tricks for bosse when you're lost or you will finish the game in 2033 lol.

Some levels, in all Soulsborne games, are litterally impossible (even with luck) to found as you got to put 3 item on a character an run on a totally empty place from the zone. And it's especially in those hidden levels / but not necessary to finish the game / that you got the best design and more of all : the hardest bosse.

For example, in Souls III the hardest boss is hidden, there's no level btw but there's some others. Plus, it's the best choregraphy and music from the whole game "Nameless King". He's ranked on YT from various fans as the best boss from the series.

And on Bloodborne it's a whole very big level with one of three most hardcore boss to fight against (Martyr Logarius) as he possess all different abilities so it's hard to found a protection against him. It's the only one i given up against.

Well, you will found in Elden Ring the old school difficulty to win against a boss or advancing in a level such as 8-16 bits games. That's why i became fan of From Software games : they gives me the same vibes as i got when games weren't all about story, but very difficult (like a Ghouls'n'Ghost etc.)

Last edited:
One thing I have not seen any real discourse about - the game is moderately priced at 50 quid, making it easier for people on the fence to jump in.

Still playing this. Pretty much only thing I'm playing right now. 30 hours in, would like to be further along tbh. But still enjoying it greatly

300h in Elden Ring (with multiple playthroughs) and without any exaggeration for me it's the best game ever made. I finished various times every souls game in the past (Demon Souls, Dark Souls Trilogy, Bloodbourne & Sekiro), but this one plays and feels very special because every moment the curiosity for the sense of discovery is triggered in a vast open world that doesn't hold at all your hand. So it's filled with many biomes, locations, strong enemies, traps & secrets more like a sandbox combining all the best parts from the past souls titles and elevating everything to a new level, to explore it at your free will...

I'm also interested to experience more games like it from the industry, two interesting titles are in development like Black Myth Wukong, and Lies Of P (there is a thread opened some months ago).

https://evoweb.uk/threads/lies-of-p-a-souls-borne-dark-novel-fantasy.89191/

This game... is something I'm so sure I am not going to like, that will frustrate me and I'll quit 5 minutes in... but it intrigues me so much. The videos on YT just make it look amazing. I just want a chill game but would love to give this a try... If only I had it on gamepass or a demo...

I tried something somewhat similar (mortal shell on GP) and tbh didnt even make it out of the tutorial.

Im even tempted to give this a try with an easy mod (I know... blasphemy) just to get my feet wet and experience it

This game... is something I'm so sure I am not going to like, that will frustrate me and I'll quit 5 minutes in... but it intrigues me so much. The videos on YT just make it look amazing. I just want a chill game but would love to give this a try... If only I had it on gamepass or a demo...

I tried something somewhat similar (mortal shell on GP) and tbh didnt even make it out of the tutorial.

Im even tempted to give this a try with an easy mod (I know... blasphemy) just to get my feet wet and experience it

If those types of games are new for you, you shouldn't get discouraged to try them and enjoy them. The difficulty in Elden Ring (or in any souls game) is very subjective and you can improve by just learning and experiencing new stuff, and the progression can be modeled during your playthrough by your own will. The coolest part of Elden Ring is the exploration and the rewarding discoveries, where you can feel extremely chill and lonely sometimes in game admiring views, finding items and secrets, or go deeper in full action. The lore feels very distorted and philosophical like in any souls game, that makes you get your own conclusions in certain parts. If you feel insecure or very challenged in a specific place you can quit that area and then you can get back when you are fully buffed to one shot everything, plus later in game you can even reset your stats if you want to try different builds or experience new stuff with different weapons and items. Elden Ring is very flexible and adaptive with a wide variety of content and mechanics, there is something for every type of player, for that reason it sold worldwide in just few weeks 12 million copies...

As i'm tired of Medieval stuffs (too much Souls, and my favorite is Bloodborne), i'm waiting a bit more Sun Wukong.
I don't think it will be like an Open World btw. But the asian Black Myth theme and the combat system is, in terms of gameplay and thematic, more interesting to me.

But of course : not a single game will reach the Level Design / Artistic direction and the subtilises of From Software when they're under Miyazaki (not like Dark Souls 2 : you see directly that Miyaziki isn't there. But the others at FROM are more than good so...)
Will brought it way later. Didn't ended Demon's Souls Remake on PS5.

If those types of games are new for you, you shouldn't get discouraged to try them and enjoy them. The difficulty in Elden Ring (or in any souls game) is very subjective and you can improve by just learning and experiencing new stuff, and the progression can be modeled during your playthrough by your own will. The coolest part of Elden Ring is the exploration and the rewarding discoveries, where you can feel extremely chill and lonely sometimes in game admiring views, finding items and secrets, or go deeper in full action. The lore feels very distorted and philosophical like in any souls game, that makes you get your own conclusions in certain parts. If you feel insecure or very challenged in a specific place you can quit that area and then you can get back when you are fully buffed to one shot everything, plus later in game you can even reset your stats if you want to try different builds or experience new stuff with different weapons and items. Elden Ring is very flexible and adaptive with a wide variety of content and mechanics, there is something for every type of player, for that reason it sold worldwide in just few weeks 12 million copies...
Ugh gonna end up getting this on sale and dying 1000 times. It's it complex? Like potions and crafting? I want to kick ass in as simplest way possible without studying an online guide

Ugh gonna end up getting this on sale and dying 1000 times. It's it complex? Like potions and crafting? I want to kick ass in as simplest way possible without studying an online guide

You can ignore the crafting system entirely if you don't want to use accessories during combat, it's there to add just some extra flavor to the game, because in the past souls games you were limited only to buy consumables from merchants, but now you can create your own plus the system is quick there are no hardcore rpg crafting elements in it and boring stuff like that. My advise is to ignore the online guides completely, just explore the world without rushing through the game, and test everything you'll get by letting the curiosity guide you. That's the best way to enjoy Elden Ring...

I think it's amazing how many bought this and other open world game developers will hopefully take note and see that these games don't always have to be the same.

This is my first souls game, and I'm flat out hooked... The difficulty is very subjective, as you can go explore something else, level up (through farming, or otherwise) and then comeback with more experience (more HP, stamina and more damage output). For example, I went exploring all throughout the Limgrave region and the whole Weeping Peninsula (took me almost 40 hours) before even taking it to the first "real' boss of the game (Margit). When I did, it took me less than 30 seconds to obliterate it. Game is absolutely incredible...

I think it's amazing how many bought this and other open world game developers will hopefully take note and see that these games don't always have to be the same.

No idea if you're played any Souls or Bloodborne, but after Bloodborne the system inspired a tons of others games. I play God of War 4 for the moment, it's obvious how much they took from SoulsBorne.
Now, they did an Open World not like the other. They're just genius, with Miyazaki on command.

Alright. Bought the game in the weekend. I'm sitting there after 90min thinking to refund or not. What's the point of this game? It's now open world so you can die everywhere. You craft, level up, get stronger and there's also some story hidden behind all this that you have to uncover. You go out in the open world and right away you're greeted by overpowered enemies that have a scheduled pathfinding and moves. Eventually you get past them after trial and error. Rinse and repeat. And yes I know it's the Souls formula.
Is anyone over 40 years old playing this game? How on earth this one has 95 on Metacritic? All I see is repeated textures (sky is nice with great effects), they just code some NPCs and they want you to study their moves to beat them through levelling up.

Alright. Bought the game in the weekend. I'm sitting there after 90min thinking to refund or not. What's the point of this game? It's now open world so you can die everywhere. You craft, level up, get stronger and there's also some story hidden behind all this that you have to uncover. You go out in the open world and right away you're greeted by overpowered enemies that have a scheduled pathfinding and moves. Eventually you get past them after trial and error. Rinse and repeat. And yes I know it's the Souls formula.
Is anyone over 40 years old playing this game? How on earth this one has 95 on Metacritic? All I see is repeated textures (sky is nice with great effects), they just code some NPCs and they want you to study their moves to beat them through levelling up.
The story / narrative isn't the strong point. And my guess (from what I've read, and heard from friends) is that's the case with all of the Souls games (with the exception of Sekiro, maybe? I've no idea, as I never played that one). If you're expecting some story driven stuff like Witcher 3 or even Skyrim, you won't find it in Elden Ring. If that's the case, maybe a refund would be suiting, but that's up to you.

Be mindful that the "intro" boss (the grafted scion) and the tree sentinel roaming outside (the knight with the golden armor riding a horse) are really difficult bosses for a starting character. Also, the trial and error against bosses are optional. You can go explore different areas, kill some weaker enemies, level up and improve your weapons to make more damage, and then go back to fight the boss. So instead of being one-hit killed by some boss, after farming for some runes and gaining more experience, you can be hit ten times (for example) before dying, which makes things a lot easier. The combat is the strong point of the game. Especially after you get some hang on how the parrying works. After that, it becomes beautiful (I'd even go and say it becomes poetic) :LOL:

Also (and I say this with all due respect) you can't say the textures are repetitive after only 90 minutes into the game. I'm 90 HOURS (!!) in, and I still haven't reached the Snowy regions of the game (including the Mountaintops of the Giants). There's a whole freakin' LOT to see here.

There's an online portion of the game (pVp) in which you engage into combat with other human players, but I never played it, and don't intend to. I still find most of the souls games community pretty toxic. Thankfully you have the option of playing the game offline.

It's essentially a deep RPG (LOTS of RPG elements really) with very satisfying combat, especially after you get the hang of it (it took me quite a few hours to get it). I wouldn't give it a perfect score, as the game have some obvious issues. But I also can't disagree with people giving 9's or 9.5's (which is a score that matches the metacritic one you mentioned). It's that good.

I'll turn 43 years old in a couple of weeks, BTW... Hope I've been of some help mate! :))

Unfortunately uninstalled and refunded (even though I passed the 2h limit). The combat is more tight than their previous games but this is still a roll move fest like The Witcher 2. The whole concept looks cheap, no wonder it doesn't take long for these devs to release these games. I know they have a huge following and many enjoy this game but it's not for me. I hope they'll make their next game more accessible, like a proper open world RPG with story, quests, towns etc.

Unfortunately uninstalled and refunded (even though I passed the 2h limit). The combat is more tight than their previous games but this is still a roll move fest like The Witcher 2. The whole concept looks cheap, no wonder it doesn't take long for these devs to release these games. I know they have a huge following and many enjoy this game but it's not for me. I hope they'll make their next game more accessible, like a proper open world RPG with story, quests, towns etc.

I'm really itching to try it... I think this is the most accessible one from this types of games, but if you are looking for a open world RPG then that's a completely different game and genre which isnt what Soulslike games are know for.

But I do get what you say, I know I will probably have your same experience... and to be honest I would even try it with an easy mod to enjoy it a bit or until I understand the game a bit more. I don't have time to die 40 times trying to figure out the timings of enemies.

I get you though... still, looks interesting

I'm really itching to try it... I think this is the most accessible one from this types of games, but if you are looking for a open world RPG then that's a completely different game and genre which isnt what Soulslike games are know for.

But I do get what you say, I know I will probably have your same experience... and to be honest I would even try it with an easy mod to enjoy it a bit or until I understand the game a bit more. I don't have time to die 40 times trying to figure out the timings of enemies.

I get you though... still, looks interesting
The game is interesting but the whole concept "I'm throwing to you enemies 20 levels above you in the map" it's not working for me. All these have also specific patterns. I'd rather have an enemy a few levels above my character who adapts his moves and attacks according to my game style and combat moves. Another issue is the respawn. You reach a certain level, you study the moves and beat the enemy. If you die to another one you have to do it all over again and the element of surprise is gone because you'll beat with the same approach the previous one.
I really don't know how this is supposed to be fun. I'm overpowered, why do I have to go through and beat the same fixed AI? I remember a lot of gamers criticising Skyrim for balancing issues but this one has some serious problems imo.

I’m 39, I’ve played Souls games since I imported the HK version of Demon’s Souls on PS3, and thought this was the best From Studio game yet, up there with Sekiro. I really didn’t have a problem with being exposed to enemies 20 levels above me, whenever I felt like that was the case I knew I had probably taken a wrong turn or that they were very specific enemies I was expected to shake my fist at and return to later.

If you don’t like the enemies having attack patterns then this 100% isn’t the game for you, because that’s a huge part of the gameplay outside of PvP. That’s a perfectly fine opinion to have, but it’s also a huge part of why Soulsborne games are loved quite so much by an increasingly large number of people. As is the community interaction and collective piecing together of the world, the myriad hidden quests and the lore behind them, whether within the game or via some of the excellent wikis available online.

Well i feel the need to say this. I am 35 and i have not bought the game, for 2 practical reasons:

1) No disc space in my PS4

2) Not enough time to invest in this type of games, that need some serious involvement.

(... that's the disclaimer)

But.........I am in very serious thoughts to buy the game, only just for the support, even if i won't play it ever... (Of course my wife would kill me, but....but.....)

And the reason is, in a crazy turning point we live now in the video games industry, those guys could just make the game with the Gatcha, lootboxes, microtransx, system, like almost everyone does, or wanna do, in our days.

Instead of this, they build up in the old-school way, invest to quality (good or bad), in a world that even Diablo and GTA became mobile ports, and focusing in the good ol'sales of physical and digital copies, for profit, plus some marketing deals, i assume.

Even for the lore of the game, they brought George RR Martin, which shows the depth of the investment, despite if you like or dislike Martin's writing.

Finally, i am not even connected to Souls series, but i really hope for this game to succeed heavily, with every power of my heart, of course it will have pros and cons as a game, cause in a World of darkness and profit over everything (Video Games modern industry), they seem as a beam of light.

PS: Of course they are not Saints, of course their background and market target is capitalistic, but between this artistic way and the F2P/freemium/paytowin/ paytoplay context, i prefer the first..

In the point we are, i don't even bother, if they release paid DLC in the future, with content that could be in the game, from the beginning..

Last edited:
I didnt want to create off topic in Witcher3 thread, but this got me very curious

@etb10dmk - you said

"The only game for me that was so immersive as W3 reaching those high standards and surpassing it was just Elden Ring (that btw, I also have 400 hours in it :LOL:)"

How did Elden Ring manage to immerse you? I played few hours on it and just could not get into it. There's no story there, didnt know where to go, didnt know what to do..
I know this is typical from Dark Souls creators, but Dark Souls were more linear. You had to follow certain path to progress. Here - massive open world and not a clue where to even start.
Not to mention that every time you sit at the campfire - all enemies respawn and it just feels like a chore after a while.
How did you find it immersive?

I didnt want to create off topic in Witcher3 thread, but this got me very curious

@etb10dmk - you said

"The only game for me that was so immersive as W3 reaching those high standards and surpassing it was just Elden Ring (that btw, I also have 400 hours in it :LOL:)"

How did Elden Ring manage to immerse you? I played few hours on it and just could not get into it. There's no story there, didnt know where to go, didnt know what to do..
I know this is typical from Dark Souls creators, but Dark Souls were more linear. You had to follow certain path to progress. Here - massive open world and not a clue where to even start.
Not to mention that every time you sit at the campfire - all enemies respawn and it just feels like a chore after a while.
How did you find it immersive?

Ohhh, Elden Ring !!! :WORSHIP: I can type entire pages here to describe how deeply immersed I was in that adventure. So where should I start? :LOL: No worries, I'll be on point without spoiling anything and mostly I'll be objective on why I think (in my opinion) that Elden Ring is the best game ever made:

Most of games nowadays are developed in mind to show players where to go, what to do, and how to complete objectives, with a complex UI, showing markers and popups all the time, like the game is holding your hand doing stuff for you (even if you are the main protagonist). Those aspects are not bad at all especially if they are implemented correctly; for the sake of accessibility I even think that's a great addition for some players.
Well, Elden Ring its quite the opposite: developed with ideas in mind to make you feel curious like a cat "stirring the pot" at every corner, to make you wonder, to make you feel like an adventurer, to feel like you're accomplishing something by finding places by yourself and discovering things that you can use always for your own advantage, to empower you and to gain useful knowledge.

Now you'll say: "wtf you're talking about??? Just a few moments after I've started the game, I was feeling completely lost and the enemies tried to gangbang me at every corner". My answer will be: Of course, that's totally true :LOL:. That happens because you're confused by the design of the game, where you're used in most of previous games to have that "helping arrow", quest logs, and tips to progress fast... but well, shit... here everything is gone, and the game doesn't push you forward if you'll not do so by yourself !!!

The main reason to counter that confusion is by embracing the exploration, where you shouldn't feel frustrated if you feel overwhelmed in one place, but instead you should try to explore elsewhere, then you'll be back full of trinkets combos and everything you want showing those previous enemies who's the real boss (with a deep feeling like "who's the bitch now, huh???"). Well a little exaggerated, but you get my point. The most versatile part of this game is how you can approach the danger or those places: you can be stealthy, you can fight full horse riding, you can use almost all the arsenal of medieval weapons possible plus you can enhance them with different elemental powers, apply those weapons different combat arts, you can dual wield, lots of summons, magic, armors, talismans... there is a very huge variety in those builds! Because this game is so expanded (but handcrafted in the best meticulous way) you'll need to give it more time to shine and be patient, then something will "click" in your mind, and eventually you'll feel invested and immersed into that world way more than you'll ever think of.

This game is so fully packed with surprises at any corner, you'll find along the way hidden places that you'll never think could be there rewarding always your curiosity, lots of biomes, weather effects, gorgeous vistas, tons of enemies and bosses (I think there are 238 bosses in total :LMAO:), badass soundtrack that can fluctuate depending if you're in a chill placer or in a danger zone invested in combat... It's so much to say why this game sucked me in so deep...

The accomplishment in Elden Ring feels real: you're doing things by your own standards, you're approaching places by acting from your impulse, you're finding secrets and hidden places because of your own curiosity, you're fighting enemies at your own pace and by your own rules...

Elden Ring made me to wonder during 400 hours without forcing or hinting me to do so, that's why is the best game ever made.

Elden Ring.jpg

I want to make also a small mention regarding the story/lore in Elden Ring and From Software games in general. In those games the story is there, not so "material/touchable" like in other games but the story fully exists. It's not like a generic story made from cutscenes where there is a familiar plot like good guys fighting bad guys, somebody wins, and so on. The lore in FromSoft souls games feels like "hidden", more philosophical, and you can find it just if you'll talk to NPCs, or by reading items descriptions. There are also few cutscenes in all those games but are vague, just to introduce you to that particular place. Those games are inclined to make you find the lore and to draw your own thinking or conclusions. It's like somebody is talking to you about death, but to you "death" could mean different things like heaven, money, reincarnation, Satan, or the end of the tunnel. The lore feels intriguing and deep if you'll have the time to dig for it...

This is an amazing channel that I enjoy watching a lot, who explains the deep lore or offers great tips on all From Software games (spoilers):

Thank you for this reply. I get it now.
Just dont know if I have time and patience to go trial-in-error for umpteen hours.
When it comes to holding your hand in other games - I do agree, to a point.
Games these days give you massive variety in settings that you can tweak.
For example - I like to go straight to settings and switch everything off - tips, enemies life, minimap and so on.
So while I agree that games these days are far more accessible - they are also far more customisable.

Back
Top Bottom