Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: EA Canada
Genre: Sports
Player(s): up to 4 locally
System(s): PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X
Release Date: October 1st, 2021
Trailer:
Features: https://www.ea.com/de-de/games/fifa/fifa-22/new-features-and-modes

The Menu looks the same since Fifa17 or so? Different colors yea but, where is the new Frostbite 4 engine?

There's a closed beta going on so we'll see some snippets here and there. There's an NDA, but that's never dettered anyone in the past. I did sign up for the beta earlier this month, but did not get accepted. I doubt I'm missing out on much anyway.

Well the PS5 version will be the only one worth being curious about. Even though barely anyone has a PS5 at the moment, the PS4 version is likely to be a legacy afterthought by this point.

Someone in Greek community posted this about the beta

GAMEPLAY FEATURES IN THE BETA.

Player Switching:

When defending, pressing R3 let’s you choose between 3 of the closest players and they all have an arrow set for the direction you flick R3 towards

Can still also use R1 or flick the right stick as normal.

2nd man press:

Its nerfed a bit, there’s a little green arrow above the player that is 2nd man pressing and it depletes quickly (3-4 seconds max), soon as it depletes the player’s press isn’t as intense and basically non existent, also pulls your player out of position.

If this is accurate, the 2nd man press "nerf" , becoming another video game gimmick, instead of a simple defending action, assisted by the AI, it is really worrying for me.
And to be honest, given how FuT/skillgap-friendly , non-automated and hostile to football logic AI, the game becomes year after year, i can not find a reason to deny it.

I can easily see it be scrapped the very next seasons, in both games IMHO, in order to please the "fix_auto_blocks" people.

Yayyyy it’s Ultimate Team focussed 22.... super fast gameplay, non existent defending and no actual football being played at ANY stage.... EA’s CTRL C and CTRL V keys on their keyboards must be worn out as fuck...

The return of some tactics options from the old tactics system (pre-fifa19) is actually a bit promising.
I'm talking about the return of "Build up Play (Balanced, Slow Build up, Fast Build up, Long Ball) - Chance Creation (Balanced, Possession, Forward Runs, Direct Passing)" options. Although if these are on/off switches and not a slider on a 0-100 scale that could turn out to be disappointing.

And it's only the offensive options. The return of the cover/offside option for the defensive line is still missing, it could help with the retreating defensive line.

And of course if their garbage 1v1s are still a thing... nothing matters and life is pointless, I'm not playing a game with no 11v11 mode. 😅

( Here was me ranting about the tactics options in more detail, ages ago:
https://evoweb.uk/threads/tactics-options-in-fifa-19-20.81235/ )

We have everything to be happy this year, let's see how the gameplay will look like in the final version, at least the midfielders are tracking attackers. :APPLAUD:

As usual it seems they'll have these preview/beta builds with a slower pace, AI positioning etc to get positive statements swirling to tempt sim players, then pull the rug after the purchase/pre-order by FUTifying things for the "esports skill gap".

With how much of a financial success this type of game is for EA, they have absolutely no reason to rock the boat and change formula to anything resembling the kind of football simulation that we want. It would be foolish to expect or even realistically hope for anything significantly different.

Now it's time to see if it will stay that way until the final version :PRAY:

Let's keep in mind they could easily make an "offline/sim" mode with sane AI positioning/behavior.

Not sure why it's harder than making AI that can chain together 8 La Croquetas, 4 McNuggets and cancel their hash brown order, exiting with the ball on their right foot. (Who on earth is crazy enough to play Career mode with the competitor mode turned on anyway?!)

Let's keep in mind they could easily make an "offline/sim" mode with sane AI positioning/behavior.
Exactly. Its a no brainer really. Especially that they used to have gameplay split between arcade and sim.
For me its so obvious that its not a question IF, but WHEN. There have to be some passionate people in EA and the team itself is huge. So with every new Fifa im always waiting for announcement that Career Mode will have different gameplay with more authentic AI behaviour. I know CM players are not their main target, but its still significant number of their playerbase. And they are putting time and effort into CM anyway.

Exactly. Its a no brainer really. Especially that they used to have gameplay split between arcade and sim.
For me its so obvious that its not a question IF, but WHEN. There have to be some passionate people in EA and the team itself is huge. So with every new Fifa im always waiting for announcement that Career Mode will have different gameplay with more authentic AI behaviour. I know CM players are not their main target, but its still significant number of their playerbase. And they are putting time and effort into CM anyway.

Our only hope is that the kids back in 2013/2014 that were playing FIFA after watching their favorite youtuber has grown up enough to want more authentic and realistic simulation since they are probably into watching actual real football.

Back
Top Bottom