GHOST OF TSUSHIMA

I am ashamed to admit that I totally mixed this up with Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, that's out at midnight tonight. So while I am a tiny bit bummed this isn't coming out right away, I am also glad this isn't a Souls type game, as Sekiro is.

I am ashamed to admit that I totally mixed this up with Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, that's out at midnight tonight. So while I am a tiny bit bummed this isn't coming out right away, I am also glad this isn't a Souls type game, as Sekiro is.
Oh man, I did exactly the same thing and I've been looking at the videos thinking "aw man, what happened, this looks rubbish" (Shadows Die Twice).

I wouldn't even have known if you hadn't said this, so thanks!

While I don't agree that Sekira looks rubbish (certainly worse than Tsushima though), Souls games just aren't for me. Apparently, Sekira is even harder than the souls games, so I would stand no chance.

But we wait.

This is one of the games to wait for. It looks absolutely stunning and fighting gameplay looks unreal.
It got a bit quiet there since E3, wonder if it will still come out on Ps4, or will they wait for 5..

Personally I dont mind Souls. It was one of the games, where I really liked PVP. Simple, realistic fighting mechanism, with attacks, blocks, rolls and pushes/kicks.
Even as an absolute Noob i could still put up a good fight there against other people.
I always wondered why no game utilised this and created some MMO like Warcraft, just with this fighting mechanism.. it was so nicely ballanced. Not too crazy, like Kingdom Come, just... right.

For anyone that has it, I watched the Gamersyde video review and the one thing that really puts me off is all the arcadey UI stuff, everything from the way enemies are highlighted to the trails on swords and arrows etc. etc. can all that rubbish be turned off? I know the flashing trees in the environment can't unfortunately but I find the other stuff far more annoying :(

For anyone that has it, I watched the Gamersyde video review and the one thing that really puts me off is all the arcadey UI stuff, everything from the way enemies are highlighted to the trails on swords and arrows etc. etc. can all that rubbish be turned off? I know the flashing trees in the environment can't unfortunately but I find the other stuff far more annoying :(

I hope so, good thing about PC gaming is can always mod those things away.

I am watching the Giantbomb quick look and that stuff seems pretty minimal to me, only the colour flashes from the enemy weapons but those serve a gameplay purpose.

Git Gud

IMG-20200717-WA0000.jpeg

Just waiting for these endless updates to install. I really hate the way it's impossible to have a quick session on the PS4. Any time I go to play a game it's 30 mins or PSN updates/game updates before I get a chance to play.

...well..?
Im eager to hear some opinions.
My twitter timeline is melting over this game. I havent seen a single complaint.
But im paranoid to look into any threads out of fear that someone will spoil it for me.

I have both Horizon ZD and God of War on the waiting list so I will have to pass on this for now. Have heard mostly good things, though.

Enjoying playing this. No spoilers.

Graphically it looks awesome, to beging with it was very dark but bumped up the brightness to 70 and it looks awesome.

Gameplay is really good, it is a very relaxing game to play, have only done 2 of the main missions, just loved exploring the island and doing some of the shrines, it has a bit of Zelda Breath of the wild vibe going in how the game feels when exploring the island on my horse. The few shrines that I have done have all been different and that was good to see. Also very important to collect resources.

Combat is also good, at first it looks very basic but once you start to unlock some of the other stances you can see that the systems are actually intuiative and using different stances during the longer fights make for some awesome encounters.

Looking forward to playing more of this over the next couple of weeks and recommend it.

Found the combat really floaty at first, too used to being able to lock onto the opponent you're facing (I blame AC ;) )! But once you get the hang of it a bit more that freedom becomes an advantage although I wish the camera kept focus a bit on the enemy I keep turning around and the camera just loses the enemies which is a bit frustrating.

Found the combat really floaty at first, too used to being able to lock onto the opponent you're facing (I blame AC ;) )! But once you get the hang of it a bit more that freedom becomes an advantage although I wish the camera kept focus a bit on the enemy I keep turning around and the camera just loses the enemies which is a bit frustrating.

It could really have done with an "lock on to enemies" feaure as I quite often lose track when in a big battle!

Started getting into it now.

The HDR and graphic settings are crap so had to readjust my tv. I don't equate brighter and more glaring to equal better graphics, but now I've got it set up it is a good looking game. Playing on hard it's fairly challenging, without the lock on you have to be aware of attacks from behind, reminds me a bit of Arkham in that sense. Clearing the guys with bow and arrows is a must.

I never played Zelda but a friend who's played both said the vibe is similar. You could just wonder about and see what you encounter, there's been times where I've walked or rode my horse slowly without realising as it's relaxing just travelling between places. Map seems sufficiently big and there is lots to do.

I love the setting, don't understand why more games don't make use of the Samurai era. Biggest annoyance so far is that you can't see behind walls etc so during combat you can lose track of where you are if you've ducked into a building, and the stealth parts are nothing to get excited about.

Preferring it to Spider-Man, remains to be seen if it can top God of War though, which has been the best game I've played on PS4.

No spoilers.

Setting is awesome. Scenery also. Ambience sound is top notch, have to agree with kamy

Graphics are good, although I can't see the difference between 4K (30FPS) and 1080p (60FPS), I shit you not... Not in resolution, and neither in frame-rate. I have TLOU Remastered and God of War and in both those games the differences are INSTANTLY noticeable as soon as you change the option from one to another... Either that, or I'm going crazy/blind all of the sudden. (HDR sucks, as usual).

IMO combat is the most satisfactory aspect of the game. But it might get "old and repetitive" as game progresses.

Horse riding animation is wonky. Not that it's bad... But after Red Dead Redemption 2 standards, other games will either have to step it up, or do it equal. Anything below that is utter shit.

It could really have done with an "lock on to enemies" feaure as I quite often lose track when in a big battle!
You can set the camera panning to "fast" mode. Helps out a little bit, try it out.

Preferring it to Spider-Man, remains to be seen if it can top God of War though, which has been the best game I've played on PS4.
Have to disagree a little bit there... Although I'm a bit of a Spiderman fanboy, I confess... Digged that game even more than the Arkham series! AND Spiderman to me is the only Ps4 game in which HDR ever looked good. Red Dead 2 is a joke when it comes to HDR.

But to me the BIGGEST flaw of Ghost of Tsushima is that not all dialogue is subtitled. Just cinematics, missions and essential (sidequests and such). "Casual" dialogues between NPC's are NOT subtitled, which makes it impossible to play it in Japanese (which would be my natural choice as it seems kinda dull to have samurais speaking English or any other language for that matter...). The lipsync when playing in any language other than English is only noticeable on closeups, so it doesn't bother that much. But again, NOT subtitling every dialogue (and it wouldn't be that much work, since a lot of the "generic" dialogue probably repeats itself) is one of the worst design decisions by the publisher. I hope they fix it with an update, but I find that highly unlikely.

IMO Gamespot review score is spot on (no pun intended): 7.0... maybe a 7.5 if one feels generous. IGN 9.0 score is almost like a joke.

Last edited:
It's a good game but I think the studio size (and maybe budget?) holds it back from being as polished and refined as a (controversial comment coming) Assassin's Creed game (certainly the last couple which were huge in scale and scope). Ubisoft have thousands of employees and 6-10? different studios working on their games so you always expect the animations to be a lot more polished than we see in Ghost and things like that. Even setting that aside it's a very special game in a unique setting.

It's a good game but I think the studio size (and maybe budget?) holds it back from being as polished and refined as a (controversial comment coming) Assassin's Creed game (certainly the last couple which were huge in scale and scope). Ubisoft have thousands of employees and 6-10? different studios working on their games so you always expect the animations to be a lot more polished than we see in Ghost and things like that. Even setting that aside it's a very special game in a unique setting.

That's interesting cause while I agree they are huge in scale and scope, I don't find them to be polished and refined as much as I would have expected. For example the horse in AC compared to RDR2 for example. Even the animations seem a bit choppy..maybe that's a rpg thing though?

That's interesting cause while I agree they are huge in scale and scope, I don't find them to be polished and refined as much as I would have expected. For example the horse in AC compared to RDR2 for example. Even the animations seem a bit choppy..maybe that's a rpg thing though?
I agree here. To me, these new 2 Assassin's Creed games are only huge in size. Origins is good in those regards: scope of the world, and size. But the direction the game took (combat based on stats and RPG elements) is a BIG turnoff for me. Everything else in the game is unsatisfactory to a point that I didn't even got interested in playing the next one (Odyssey)... The trailer of this next one (Valhalla) has some hilarious bugs, which goes to show how those games show anything BUT polish. Ubisoft is no different than EA in that regard: they only need a new AC game each year for cash grab. They could care less about the game itself.

Only 20 hours? Damn that sucks, thought TLOU2 was already too short and that took me 33 hours. 20 hours is waaay too short for a AAA game, I should have checked that before buying.

Only 20 hours? Damn that sucks, thought TLOU2 was already too short and that took me 33 hours. 20 hours is waaay too short for a AAA game, I should have checked that before buying.

Similar to God of War, Horizon ZD, Marvel's Spider-Man. If you only mainline them.

For me length doesnt equal quality. You can also play MyClub for years and years. :P

Back
Top Bottom