If you designed the controller layout and buttons of FIFA, what would you add and or change?

JUNEFUMA

FULL MANUAL CONTROLS
10 October 2021
I would love if there were dedicated buttons for inside and outside boot passes and shots (maybe R1 for inside & L2 for outside) so that you could play them consistently. This would help so much with being able to pass through spaces and more accurately match your strikers runs, especially on manual controls. Without these buttons, many passes roll through the defense and straight to the keeper instead of having any sort of bend to take it away from the keeper.

I would also like if you could decouple certain actions that overlap on buttons. For example, currently L1 is both close control dribble and 'make a teammate run forward'. Needless to this this overlap causes the problem of sending your teammates on runs when all you wanted to do was close-dribble.

Are there any things you would like to see added or changed in in terms of buttons and controller layout?

I would throw out 50% of the advanced actions and make them trigger contextually instead. The control scheme has become too convoluted over the years.

The NHL/NBA 2K controls.
Buttons if you like ,and sticks if you prefer that for shooting.
I know most FIFA players who hasn't played that way before will naturally say "hell no" but once you've played games that way ,you can't go back to pressing buttons instead of a much more accurate/sensitive stick.

The NHL/NBA 2K controls.
Buttons if you like ,and sticks if you prefer that for shooting.
I know most FIFA players who hasn't played that way before will naturally say "hell no" but once you've played games that way ,you can't go back to pressing buttons instead of a much more accurate/sensitive stick.

Just for shooting or passing aswell?

Just for shooting or passing aswell?
Ideally passing to ,buy that would probably need a modifier (LB//RB/LT/RT plus Right stick) so I think it's tough to implement.
I played 2k and NHL with buttons up until 2k15 and I haven't looked back ,and I think it could be extremely good in FIFA ,but always having buttons to chose as an alt/first option.

Passing if it could be done smoothly would be so good ,having pin pointed precision if done right.

Ideally passing to ,buy that would probably need a modifier (LB//RB/LT/RT plus Right stick) so I think it's tough to implement.
I played 2k and NHL with buttons up until 2k15 and I haven't looked back ,and I think it could be extremely good in FIFA ,but always having buttons to chose as an alt/first option.

Passing if it could be done smoothly would be so good ,having pin pointed precision if done right.

Yeah I was going to say, there would be some practicality questions that need to be solved if this implemented for passing also.

I would certainly be down for right stick aim being an option though, why not. It was an option in the classic PES games (for passing, not shooting if i recall rightly). I have little doubt that it would feel good to use. Movement and aim both being tethered to the left stick has always been an issue at some level.

Things like this make me ponder about what kind of input device would be most suitable for football games. Just like driving games work best with a steering wheel input maybe something else besides the standard controller could be better equipped for football games. I remember people spoke highly of the Wii-mote PES (2008?) game, though I never got to try that myself.

Yeah I was going to say, there would be some practicality questions that need to be solved if this implemented for passing also.

I would certainly be down for right stick aim being an option though, why not. It was an option in the classic PES games (for passing, not shooting if i recall rightly). I have little doubt that it would feel good to use. Movement and aim both being tethered to the left stick has always been an issue at some level.

Things like this make me ponder about what kind of input device would be most suitable for football games. Just like driving games work best with a steering wheel input maybe something else besides the standard controller could be better equipped for football games. I remember people spoke highly of the Wii-mote PES (2008?) game, though I never got to try that myself.
It's always intriguing to think ahead ,what could be etc , I'm not sure the customer base (us) is ready or even want it.
For instance ,most 2k players Play with a camera that faces the hoop (like end to end in FIFA) and it makes controls quite easy.
I use broadcast cam ,though you can set the stick configuration to be camera relative or fixed.

Like I said ,would want the option to be able to at least try it out ,but not sure if industry/customers are up for it.

Can't really recall when the change/option came for 2k ,but must have been around 10/11 and NHL around 15-16 (or earlier).

I've always struggled with FIFA's manual passing/shooting might be me (most likely) but it never felt as good as Pes manual passing ,so a change or "shaping it up" would be welcomed ,or me being better:).

At the end of the day ,I think it needs to move fw ,not just be as it's always been.

Back
Top Bottom