PC Gaming

Looks alright mate! Remember to "cable manage" .. I personally don't care what they look like, as long as they aren't in the way of each other.
Things are cramped because its a mini case, but keep at it!

I've gotten so frustrated & couldn't understand I was putting the RAM in upside down once :LOL: You are gaining XP !
That's been half the problem. Initially put in the motherboard then realised I'd forgotten the backplate for the AIO. Then twice screwed up the AIO, once stopping all the front case cables then also thinking I was clever feeding them under the motherboard and realising they weren't long enough and were going across the GPU slot 🤣

The 2 extra strong coffees this morning didn't help, as well as the bottle of claret last night 🤣

I don't know a PC building simulator would be that fun?
I purposely always turn off the RGB is my PC, as think it looks really tacky.

Does anyone have a liquid cpu cooler that could give me a few hints on fan curves? I've got a Corsair Hydro H60, and based on some videos on youtube I got a Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX to upgrade the fan. This fan (which I now realise may have been the wrong model for me) only has 3 pins, whereas the standard Corsair one has 4. I believe (and this may be completely wrong as I'm a PC build dumbass) that 3 pins only allows for DC mode and not PWM.

My issue here is that when I set the fan curve in the bios, it basically does nothing. If I set it to PWM mode the fan spins up to full power, I believe this is because there's only 3 pins on the fan. When I set it to DC mode, the fan spins at around 40% (which is good noise wise) but do not spin up / down according to the fan curve. I tried running Cinebench and the fan speed didn't change at all, even though I was monitoring the CPU temp and it was slowly climbing.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Or am I just being a massive dumbass? I've got to a point where I might just ditch the Noctua fan and go back to the standard 4 pin one, and then hope that PWM mode works correctly. For reference, I've got a MSI B560i gaming wifi edge motherboard. When I was googling this yesterday I found a few posts on reddit where people were having similar issues and the fan curve was being completely ignored.

Yes PWM fans have an extra pin to control the fan motor.

TBH you shouldn't be having issues with either of them, both of them are controlled easily within the bios or additional software.
I control my fans using the Corsair iCue software on mine, as I only like the quiet profile.

As for case fans, I just have them on low noise mode, as I hate noise within my computer - Although AIO coolers are quite a lot louder than air coolers.

DC fans can sometimes have issues with revving up and slowing down accordingly, especially on lower end motherboards.
But from my understanding, PWM is always better, as it sends a Pulse to the fan telling it what to spin at and therefore is more accurate and will also allow the fan to spin at lower speeds.

Why did you replace the fan on your Hydro H60?
Was it for noise or performance reasons, as the corsair fans have been getting better and better over time.

Yes PWM fans have an extra pin to control the fan motor.

TBH you shouldn't be having issues with either of them, both of them are controlled easily within the bios or additional software.
I control my fans using the Corsair iCue software on mine, as I only like the quiet profile.

As for case fans, I just have them on low noise mode, as I hate noise within my computer - Although AIO coolers are quite a lot louder than air coolers.

DC fans can sometimes have issues with revving up and slowing down accordingly, especially on lower end motherboards.
But from my understanding, PWM is always better, as it sends a Pulse to the fan telling it what to spin at and therefore is more accurate and will also allow the fan to spin at lower speeds.

Why did you replace the fan on your Hydro H60?
Was it for noise or performance reasons, as the corsair fans have been getting better and better over time.
Even though I've set the fan curves in the BIOS, it just seems to be ignoring them in DC mode. I'd got the noctua fan based on a few reviews where it performed better and quieter for the specific mini-itx case I'm building in (Silverstone SG13). I just accidentally ordered the 3 pin one which I didn't realise until I was building and noticed 4 pins on the motherboard.

I might just put the Corsair one back in and see if PWM mode works for now, as DC seems to be a complete non-starter with my motherboard for some reason.

I’d like to simplify my work/life computing situation and have an ultra wide monitor I can use with my work laptop and was looking into desktops as a more fixed unit I can game with using the same monitor. I have a laptop now and have never bought a PC desktop, and while I know prices for parts here in the US are high, I’d like to know how much higher it is now compared to usual? And should I try a pre-built now or wait maybe another 5-6 months?

I don’t need anything fancy, but I’d like a 3060 video card to future-proof it some. Anyone have any recommendations?

Edit: is this computer about what the price should be or is it higher than normal?

I’d like to simplify my work/life computing situation and have an ultra wide monitor I can use with my work laptop and was looking into desktops as a more fixed unit I can game with using the same monitor. I have a laptop now and have never bought a PC desktop, and while I know prices for parts here in the US are high, I’d like to know how much higher it is now compared to usual? And should I try a pre-built now or wait maybe another 5-6 months?

I don’t need anything fancy, but I’d like a 3060 video card to future-proof it some. Anyone have any recommendations?

Edit: is this computer about what the price should be or is it higher than normal?

Components at the moment are expensive, and it doesn't seem to help that even Nvidia/Intel/AMD even seem to be scalping and releasing overpriced products.

The original FE cards which came out about a year ago were amazingly priced, but you couldn't get them and Nvidia then made the Ti editions with very little performance increase for quite a big price increase and AMD recently have just been releasing higher end cards which cost way more than they ever should.
Intel are releasing new chips at the beginning of November, but looking at these prices they again seem overpriced - But then Intel always have been overpriced compared to the AMD equivalents.

Most companies have stated with the silicon shortage supplies and prices are not going to improve till probably at least 2023, but even then with the 800% rise in shipping costs from China, then eventually these increases are also going to be added on to the pricing of all electrical equipment.

As for GFX cards Nvidia will shortly be announcing the SUPER cards, which will again be a step up from the Ti models which again will probably have a price increase, as they have realised now you don't have to make something good, you just have to make something and it will sell.

But advice if you are on the fence of when to buy, it should either be a new Intel chip in November with any FE card you happen to get old of (the 3070 FE is by far the best value)
Otherwise wait for the new AMD chips which will arrive at some point Mid to Late 2022.

The PC market is massively changing at the moment, as we are now entering the DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 era - But these won't become the norm for a good 2-4 years yet as the prices will need to become lower for people to purchase.

What do you do for work? In the UK the pre-built pcs sometimes work out cheaper just because you cannot get hold of a graphics card at MSRP unless you're really lucky. The pc you linked to seems good but I would question whether you need such a powerful CPU, unless you need it for work. The one linked below is not as powerful but would still be good at a much cheaper price

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypo...tx-2060-6gb-480gb-ssd/6476920.p?skuId=6476920

Thanks @Badger Mushroom and @bsmaff — I've never purchased a PC desktop before so it seems like there are millions of configurations and I'm not sure what is better and what is a better value.

I work as a developer/designer for the electric company, so I have to use a laptop with a docking station with all the security that goes into that and can never use a personal computer for work. I'm trying to simplify with my new 34" monitor and it's not great with my laptop, which is now 3.5 years old, and I'd prefer to have something more permanent and then also keep using my laptop for convenience.

Personally, I exclusively play soccer games only (and a lot of them 2016 and older), so any hardware upgrade won't be that much since they all run fine on my laptop with an older (GTX 1050) video card and an i7-7700HQ processor, it would be more for convenience and the joy of playing on a larger screen. I'd also like to do some light video editing and designing (Adobe), so I figured I should just get the best video card and CPU I can, but the one above is a really good price.

Order is in and now waiting for next Friday.. Had to go with a DDR4 board, as DDR5 prices are ridiculous and I have 64GB DDR4.
And the ASUS ROG Z690-A Gaming is the best DDR4 board available from ASUS (I only buy ASUS)

cpu.png

Last edited:
i want to play with stadia in 4k ..so i've to buy a 4k monitor .. but my pc support full hd...
if i'll buy a 4k monitor what happens with resolutions scaling when i'm not playing with stadia?

Order is in and now waiting for next Friday.. Had to go with a DDR4 board, as DDR5 prices are ridiculous and I have 64GB DDR4.
And the ASUS ROG Z690-A Gaming is the best DDR4 board available from ASUS (I only buy ASUS)

cpu.png
That looks beastly. Nice!! What are you replacing? I'm keeping an eye out for an eventual 12400 whenever it comes out. Haven't used my pc a lot so no rush to upgrade but would love to hear your thoughts on alder lake

That looks beastly. Nice!! What are you replacing? I'm keeping an eye out for an eventual 12400 whenever it comes out. Haven't used my pc a lot so no rush to upgrade but would love to hear your thoughts on alder lake
Current Specs:-
Intel i9-9900K
Asus Z390-Maximus Hero XI
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X
500GB Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M2 SSD
1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M2 SSD
64GB 3600 Kingston HyperX DDR4
Corsair H115i RGB Platinum Water Cooler
Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL

I have also purchased the following from Amazon:-
1TB Western Digital SN850 PCIe4.0 SSD
2TB Western Digital SN850 PCIe4.0 SSD
I thought whilst upgrading might as well buy a 2TB SSD for gaming and use the 1TB for Windows and Apps, but then thought why not go all out and get a PCIe 4.0 SSD - Although I am aware the real world performance between a PCIe 3 and 4 drive is absolutely nothing.

I am going to list my CPU, motherboard and current SSD's on eBay over the next couple of days.
So although all in everything cost me £1250, I would expect to probably get half my money back.

Last edited:
With a grain of salt. But hope this is true Ghost of Tsushima on PC. And the inevitable FF7R. Nice if Sony bring all this to PC including horizon but I don't know if they bring all their hard hitting exclusives to pc (also wouldn't ratchet and clank need this unicorn ssd to run?)

Those Nvidia leaks so far have been pretty spot on..
They leaked GOW and Uncharted 4 and Sony have since announced both for PC.

Personally, although won't happen - Would love Spiderman, as with proper ray tracing and better city scape rather the dog ugly draw distance of the PS version that could be a replay on PC.

The Winter sale is launched on epic store + 10€ discount now and after every purchase you get a new one.

Yes, 15 days free games. One per day. every 17:00 o'clock CET there is a new one.

Back
Top Bottom