[PES6] COPA AMERICA 2023 Mexico

Mexico vs Ecuador - who's gonna win the opening game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slemkee

Conference
30 September 2017
Liverpool FC
111.png

COPA AMERICA 2023 kicks off!

The 2024 Copa America had been expected to be hosted by Ecuador due to CONMEBOL's host rotation order. However, in November 2022, the country declined to host the tournament. Later on that year, talks between CONMEBOL and CONCACAF had taken place which resulted in a decision to organize an inter-confederation tournament, similar to the 2016 Copa America Centenario in the United States. This time however, Mexico, the first land set to experience 3 World Cup tournaments on their home soil, were chosen as the host.

This year's Copa America will feature 16 teams, with 9 teams from CONMEBOL and 7 from CONCACAF.
CONCACAF: Mexico (host), United States, Canada, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago
CONMEBOL: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela

Six venues in six cities were selected for the tournament, with the famous Estadio Azteca set to host the final:

GRAFIKA-MAPA.png

1. Mexico City, Estadio Azteca (cap. 81.070)
MEXICO-CITY.png

2. Guadalajara, Estadio Jalisco (cap. 55.020)
GUADALAJARA.png

3. Guadalupe, Estadio BBVA Bancomer (cap. 51.348)
GUADALUPE.png

4. Zapopan, Estadio Akron (cap. 46.232)
ZAPOPAN.png

5. Morelia, Estadio Morelos (cap. 34.795)
MORELIA.png

6. Torreon, Estadio Corona (cap. 29.101)
TORREON.png

Teams will be divided into 4 groups of 4 teams each, with top two sides from each group advancing to the quarter-finals.
The official draw of the COPA AMERICA 2023 will take place tomorrow in The Teatro de la Ciudad in Mexico City.

Seeding:

POT1:
Mexico (host), United States, Costa Rica, Canada

POT2:
Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia

POT3:
Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay

POT4:
Panama, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Venezuela

Stay Tuned!

Warm welcome to you all! @Daro (big shoutout to him, he made all these amazing graphics) and I are huge PES6 fans and we've been creating our own, footballing world with fantasy tournaments using this game.
This year we wanted to present one of the tournaments here on evo-web. It took a lot of time to prepare for this, but we hope you're all gonna enjoy it. Also don't hesitate to leave comments, we will highly appreciate it!

Last edited:
222.png

Giants to meet in the final once again?

In The Teatro de la Ciudad, located in Mexico's capital, the final groups have been drawn.The ceremony was hosted by the likes of Cafu, or Alexi Lalas, a USMNT legend and a World Cup 1994 participant. Mexico was represented by Cuauhtémoc Blanco, country's third all-time top scorer.

Mexico were automatically drawn to Group A, later completed by three neighbouring countries: Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela. It might be a tough group for the hosts, but anything else than a qualification is unacceptable for their fans. Ecuador want to get back on the winning ways after not being able to make it out of the group at the World Cup.

Favourites to top the group B are no one else than the mighty Brazil - any other scenario would be a huge sensation. Canarinhos will have to battle it out against Costa Rica, Peru and Trinidad & Tobago, whose participation wasn't fully confirmed, due to their dispute with FIFA. Eventually, their ban was lifted and they will come to Mexico to try causing a big upset.

Despite not getting a single point, Canada was a side that attracted a lot of fans, due to their quick and attacking playing style. Together with Paraguay, Uruguay and Panama it seems to be a very even group, with all teams having the chance to qualify. 2011 champions Uruguay will have to figure out their attacking issues, as it's their first tournament in many years without the Suarez-Cavani duo.

Last group consists of the recent World Cup winners - Argentina. Due to Brazil being drawn into group B, it opens up the opportunity for the two powerhouses to meet in the final for the second time in a row. Now with three stars on their jersey, Albicelestes will try to defend the title from 2021 when they once again became the continent's best side. United States might give them a bit of a challenge, with Chile and Jamaica fighting for the second spot.

GRAFIKA-ROZLOSOWANE-GRUPY-FINISH-kopia.png

3.png

Will youth handle the pressure?

GROUP A:

The new-old coach of "El Tri", Miguel Ernesto Herrera selected all his best players for a tournament on their own soil. It's difficult to find any surprising call-ups, as all main stars such as Edson Alvarez, Jesus Corona and Hirving Lozano made the final squad. Colombians will travel to Mexico without their experienced striker Radamel Falcao, who's only managed to score twice in La Liga this season. His replacement will probably be a 25 year old Almeria striker, Luis Suarez (it will be a good time to shine for him, the OG Luis Suarez wasn't called up either). Ecuador has shown during the World Cup that on their day they can challenge anyone, and they will hope to do the even better in Mexico, with players such as Moises Caicedo being in the form of their life right now. Venezuela might be the surprise package, with a highly-rated Lens keeper Wuilker Faríñez, experience strikers in Salomon Rondon and Josef Martinez and an even more experienced José Pékerman as their coach.

MEXICO.png
COLOMBIA.png
ECUADOR.png
VENEZUELA.png

GROUP B:
Both Costa Rica and Peru will have to rely on their experienced keepers in that tournament - "Los Incas" still remember amazing saves of Pedro Gallese, which took them to the Copa America final in 2019. Another familiarity for both sides might be their lack of attacking options, with veterans Bryan Ruiz and Gianluca Lapadula still playing key roles. It's tough to find stars in Trinidad & Tobago either, with AEK's Levi Garcia being their best player. Brazil's new coach Abel Ferreira may have had a tough time selecting the final squad from all those talents and eventually decided to stick with a similar line-up as in Qatar, only with Gabriel Jesus as their new addition.

COSTA-RICA.png
BRAZIL.png
PERU.png
TRINIDAD-AND-TOBAGO.png

GROUP C:
After a highly disappointing World Cup performance, the time of Luis Suárez, Edinson Cavani and Fernando Muslera in the Uruguay jersey came to an end. If La Celeste want to go far in the tournament, Liverpool's Darwin Núñez will finally have to step up to his role. Other than him, youngsters Manuel Ugarte or Facundo Pellistri might also be key figures for Uruguay. Canada will be another young team, with Espanyol's 18 year old Luca Koleosho being their newest addition. Julio Enciso, might be Paraguay's next big thing, being valued at 10 million and playing for Brighton at the age of 18.

CANADA.png
URUGUAY.png
PARAGUAY.png
PANAMA.png

GROUP D:
Despite the World Cup win in December, Albicelestes coach Lionel Scaloni decided to give a chance to a few new faces - Matías Soulé or Alejandro Garnacho, already a starter for Manchester United, will be given the chance to play for their nation on the biggest stage. Gabriel Slonina, or Ricardo Pepi, both absent at the World Cup, have found their way into the US squad, which makes The Yanks the youngest side in tournament. Chile on the other hand, are still gonna rely on their veteran duo of Alexis Sanchez and Arturo Vidal.

UNITED-STATES.png
ARGENTINA.png
CHILE.png
JAMAICA.png

The long awaited first matchday will finally start today. The host, Mexico will face a fiery Ecuadorian side in the opening game, whilst the US will play against the 2015 and 2016 champions, Chile. Vamos!

GRAFIKA-TERMINARZ-SPOTKAN-1-KOLEJKA-kopia.png

Last edited:
image.png

VAR sparks controversy in the opening game

The COPA AMERICA 2023 is finally underway! The hosts lined up their strongest side, with Raul Jimenez leading the line up top. Ecuador, as usual went with two strikers, with Bryan Angulo surprisingly starting ahead of Michael Estrada. The winner of this game would take a giant step towards the quarterfinals.

00.png

Since the early minutes it was a very heated atmosphere at the Azteca. It wasn't until the 5th minute to witness the first big moment of the game - Nestor Araujo fouled Ecuador's Enner Valencia. Neither the referee however, nor the VAR decided to intervene, which made La Tricolor players absolutely fuming. In the 24th minute it became really loud at the Azteca, when Hirving Lozano was one-on-one with the keeper - he wasn't able to put it in however, also missing the rebound. That was heavily punished by the Ecuadorians - it was Ángel Mena who opened the scoring, with Bryan Angulo making it 2:0 just before halftime with his header.

Surely that's not what the hosts had imagined - they were booed off at halftime by their own fans and seemed to have cracked under the pressure of playing at the fully packed Azteca. Miguel Ernesto Herrera's players started off way better in the second half, but weren't clinical enough to get a goal back. It all changed however in the 74th minute, when the referee decided to give a very soft penalty for the hosts and took the decision without even consulting it with VAR. Wolves striker scored the penalty, which gave them a lifeline, and minutes later stepped up again, by finishing a cross from the right flank.

2:2! A fairly "lucky" draw keeps Mexico in game, but it was nowhere near a convincing performance. It turned into a nightmare for Ecuador, who simply can't be satisfied with a draw. Overall, although an entartaining game, it was full of mistakes and both teams need to improve a lot.

000.png

9.png

8.png

7.png

MAN OF THE MATCH: Raúl Jiménez (Mexico)

That mush have been a stunnnig match ! Cant wait for Brazil - Trinidad. I bet it will end up like 4:0 at least.
Yeah it should be a trashing, especially with Abel Ferreira's more attacking approach Brazil should easily score a few ⚽️

FINALLY
Some people were a bit conservative, but i always through that even for clubs, the separation Concacaf / Conmebol wasn't something good for levelling the competition(s) so, the players and clubs from the country.
They tried or i don't know if it's once every X years, the tournament AFC Champion's league with Oceania separated, then the year after, they came back with Australia clubs.

I talk about club for a certain future, but it's MUCH more interesting to follow than two semi-continent with always the same nations qualified.
But there's no surprise for the moment, only Bolivia isn't qualified on Conmebol Side. Well they're only 10 countries...
Well, Concacaf got much more, but small isles. Only 14 can be qualified > check at "Broadcoaster" after scrolling all the nations and small isles (some aren't that weak like the isles from Netherlands/France : i think about Curaçao, Dominica and Guadalupe. They got some players everywhere in the world...
BUT it's not AFC/OFC, sad for them 🤷‍♂️

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Nations_League

Well i don't see Aruba, Nicaragua or El Salvador qualified one day but whatever. They got the rights to participate. One teams completely fails a year and perhaps... It always happen and if they got used to play against more big teams, why not.
Puerto Rico and Cuba are well known countries who likes football i don't understand why they're pretty weak.

(Note, let's imagine that it's not on PES 6... I won't loose thrust about the future collaborations. Like here for example : 4 Concacaf from the Gold cup in Copa America : https://www.concacaf.com/news/conmebol-and-concacaf-sign-strategic-collaboration-agreement/)

Last edited:
FINALLY
Some people were a bit conservative, but i always through that even for clubs, the separation Concacaf / Conmebol wasn't something good for levelling the competition(s) so, the players and clubs from the country.
They tried or i don't know if it's once every X years, the tournament AFC Champion's league with Oceania separated, then the year after, they came back with Australia clubs.

I talk about club for a certain future, but it's MUCH more interesting to follow than two semi-continent with always the same nations qualified.
But there's no surprise for the moment, only Bolivia isn't qualified on Conmebol Side. Well they're only 10 countries...
Well, Concacaf got much more, but small isles. Only 14 can be qualified > check at "Broadcoaster" after scrolling all the nations and small isles (some aren't that weak like the isles from Netherlands/France : i think about Curaçao, Dominica and Guadalupe. They got some players everywhere in the world...
BUT it's not AFC/OFC, sad for them 🤷‍♂️

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Nations_League

Well i don't see Aruba, Nicaragua or El Salvador qualified one day but whatever. They got the rights to participate. One teams completely fails a year and perhaps... It always happen and if they got used to play against more big teams, why not.
Puerto Rico and Cuba are well known countries who likes football i don't understand why they're pretty weak.

(Note, let's imagine that it's not on PES 6... I won't loose thrust about the future collaborations. Like here for example : 4 Concacaf from the Gold cup in Copa America : https://www.concacaf.com/news/conmebol-and-concacaf-sign-strategic-collaboration-agreement/)
Yeah totally, CA with CONCACAF teams is a great solution, much better than taking teams like Japan or Qatar (they still want to take Morocco to the 2024 tournament in the US, hope it doesn't happen). CONCACAF Gold Cup with 4 teams from CONMEBOL is another thing i heard of, don't know if it's confirmed but this one seems like a really dumb idea :D

Teams like Curacao or Martinique are really strong indeed, we decided however not to take any of them, maybe we will save them for future tournaments.

When it comes to Cuba, i think they're shit in football, because it has never been the no1 sport, also there is too much political involvement (players from foreign leagues were not allowed to play for their NT at some point i believe)

Last edited:
Yeah i know about Cuba, it's a weird story than a country living in All about football Continent and well, pretty much known, doesn't have at least a decent team. That's one of the exception confirming the rule let's says lol.

I can understand a bit more the "why they're weak" question about India or China even if their country is a big as Europe than they don't care about football as it's not in their history. That's fair : not living in a football continent.
About Morocco i didn't know lol i hope it won't happens as it makes no sense.

Those countries in Africa aswell as in North Africa are also full about football, but well it's not talent which is missing but everything around (infrastructure, organisation etc.) otherwhise they could be real true challengers since a long time : it's +- recent since they make changes. And you can see results in proof like in their participation in WC : how hard to play they are. Morocco semi-finalist no one could have believe that even 10 years ago etc.

Back to Copa America : no need to create those teams mate, that mix is very good and resume the best countries in both C/C organisation.
I was just talking like that about those unknown names but which got plenty of players everywhere in good league on Europe, relatively strong ;)

image.png

A pragmatic win for Los Cafeteros

After a thrilling opener at the Estadio Azteca, it was time for the second encounter in the Group A in Guadalajara. José Pékerman decided to drop down not fully fit Wuilker Faríñez, replacing him with Rafael Romo. Surprisingly he also opted for Fernando Aristeguieta at the no.9 position, instead of someone from the Salomón Rondón-Josef Martínez duo.

00.png

The result of the Mexico's game meant that the winner would be in pole position ahead of the second round of games. Colombia were rated highly ahead of the tournament, and in the 13. minute they proved why - Juan Quintero's cross was calmly finshed by Liverpool's starlet Luis Diaz. Colombians continued to dominate in the first half, but their shots were mostly off target, with Rafael Romo also saving La Vinotinto a few times.

Los Cafeteros midfielder Mateus Uribe had to leave the filed early due to his injury, which saw the game change instantly - Colombia started losing their spirit and Venezuela decided to risk a bit more, bringing on both Josef Martínez and Salomón Rondón. They couldn't get the equalizer however, and Colombia took advantage of that, performing a great counter which saw Wilmar Barrios scoring after a set-up from Juan Cuadrado. Venezuela were gifted a lifeline late in the game with a goal from Martinez, but it was all they could get.

Colombia tops the group after the first round of games, but there is much room for improvement. There are also doubts whether Mateus Uribe could start in the second game - he proved to be vital for Colombia and his injury would be a huge loss. Venezuela again proved to be a feisty opponent and now they've got all to play for against Ecuador.

000-kopia.png

99.png

98.png

97.png

96.png

MAN OF THE MATCH: Juan Cuadrado (Colombia)

8.png

I opened a poll at evo-web, but apparently i can't create new ones. If you want to predict results of the upcoming matches, click here: https://strawpoll.com/polls/wAg3AjXd8y8

image.png

Trinis make history, Brazil stunned!

The Group B opener was supposed to be a show for the Canarinhos attacking stars. Everyone underestimated their rivals, even Brazil's new coach seemed to be overly confident at the press conference, claiming his attacking line to be the best in the world. So far the tournament has had an average of 3.5 goals per game and the trend was expected to continue in this game. Trinidad and Tobago, who were making their tournament debut, may have felt lucky to be there, with a single point in the tournament being a success.

00.png

First half of the game wasn't very open, with the best effort surprisingly coming from Trinidad's Levi Garcia, whose long distance shot missed the goal only by a inches. Brazil, despite more shots, seemed to be helpless, without creating any clear-cut chance.

Changes were needed in Brazil's game and the reaction was immediate, with all Gabriel Jesus, Antony and Raphinha coming on at half-time. Trinidad & Tobago didn't seem to be fatigued though and kept playing aggressive in the attack with a well-organized defense. They were only lacking the end product, but it finally came in the 66th minute, when Kevin Molino's cross was converted by Danny Carr, who tucked in a shot from around 8 yards. Brazil were down against the outsiders with 20 minutes to go! In the 74th minute it may have gotten even worse for the Canarinhos, when Kevin Molino let fly from 15 yards and saw his shot clip the top of the crossbar.
Brazil grew increasingly desperate as they went in search of an equaliser but failed to find a way through Trinidad's stubborn defence. Losing to Trinidad & Tobago without even scoring? Sounds like a science-fiction, but tonight in Guadalupe the nightmare became a reality for the continent's most succesful nation.

The MOTM award was given to Trinidad's Aubrey David, whose heroic defensive performance brought the The Soca Warriors three points. Brazil in the meantime need to change completely before the second game and deal with the increasing pressure. Brazil's new coach will have a tough job dealing with the critics after his most shameful career loss, while the Trinis will celebrate arguably the greatest win of their football history.

000.png

99.png

98.png

97.png

96.png

MAN OF THE MATCH: Audrey David (Trinidad & Tobago)

Pick your prediction for the Peru vs Costa Rica game here: https://strawpoll.com/polls/XOgONJLkQn3

Last edited:
image.png

Fans disappointed by bore draw

Brazil's result again Trinidad & Tobago gave a huge chance to both sides - 3 points here would have been a huge step towards the quarterfinals. That's why both coaches picked arguably their strongest sides.
00.png

First half at the Estadio Akron wasn't very dynamic - despite a draw suiting neither of them, both sides struggled to create openings in a stale first half and appeared very cautious, just making sure they don't concede.

The game slightly began to open up in the second half, with a few decent efforts from Costa Rica, but it wasn't enough. No side decided to risk it in the end, the coaches went for rather defensive substitutions and the first goalless draw of the tournament became a fact. A frustrating evening for the fans and a wasted chance for both sides, as the result suits neither of them before an ultra-hard game against Brazil.

000.png

99.png

98.png

97.png

MAN OF THE MATCH: Renato Tapia (Peru)

0000.png

Predict the next game result here: https://strawpoll.com/polls/2ayLkWLKqZ4

image.png

Galactic Valverde humbles Panama

The battle in group C started at the Estadio Morelos in Morelia. Questions were asked before the tournament, as many didn't know what to expect of a heavily rebuilt Uruguayan side. Young players such as Facundo Pellistri, who has been having a great time at Manchester United, were given a start.

00.png

It had been a compelling start to the tournament by La Celesteand with just three minutes on the clock, Darwin Nunez latched onto a Federico Valverde through ball, and raced clear of the Panama's defence with only the goalkeeper to beat, comfortably slotting it home. Surprisingly though, Puma scored a quick equalizer for Panama, winning his position in the box with Nahitan Nandez. Uruguay seemed nervous for a moment, but they managed to push their rivals back into the defence, without allowing a single shot on their goal after conceding. A few minutes later, Uruguay were in front again, thanks to Maxi Gomez's clinical finish. A clipped pass from Valverde sent the lightening quick forward on his way and Gomez picked his spot before slotting the ball past the helpless keeper. Real Madrid's midfielder was arguably the best on the field today, starting all La Celeste attacks.

Uruguay continued to dominate in the second half, with a few good chances coming from Facundo Pellistri who is yet to score his first goal for his country. Eventually it was Giorgian de Arrascaeta who made it 3-1 in the 82. minute.

La Celeste begin Copa America with a comfortable win, with a breathtaking performance by Valverde. Panama on the other hand showed very little and at the moment seem to be the group's outsider.

111.png

99.png

98.png

97.png

MAN OF THE MATCH: Federico Valverde (Uruguay)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom