Simple English Grammar question

AlesRos

Conference
1 May 2020
Hello everyone
I have a simple question about english (which I tried to search on the internet but couldn't find anything about it)

If any native English speaker can help me...

What is the correct way to say:

What's the best Matrix franchise movie?

or

What's the best movie in the Matrix franchise?

both are correct?
If both are correct, which one is still better to use?

thanks for help!

edit: fixed second question with "the"

Last edited:
Second one needs another "the"

And then they're both grammatically correct, but I think it'd be more normal to ask it the way of the second option :)

Second one needs another "the"

And then they're both grammatically correct, but I think it'd be more normal to ask it the way of the second option :)

Ah yes... I know about the "the" (I just forgot to put that in the post xD)

For the first, you can just say 'What's the best Matrix movie?' (you don't need franchise there), as most people would a) know there is more than one Matrix movie (or whichever franchise it is) & b) if you're asking for the best, then the listener can assume there's more than 3 (because you use the superlative 'best', in the same way that if you use 'better', people will know it's a choice between 2 movies) :))

For the first, you can just say 'What's the best Matrix movie?' (you don't need franchise there), as most people would a) know there is more than one Matrix movie (or whichever franchise it is) & b) if you're asking for the best, then the listener can assume there's more than 3 (because you use the superlative 'best', in the same way that if you use 'better', people will know it's a choice between 2 movies) :))
There's a number of hardcore fans, claiming or pretending that the only Matrix movie was the first one, The Matrix (1999), and there were never any sequels! :)

Back
Top Bottom