Steam Deck [Hardware]

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
Inside, the Steam Deck boasts an accelerated processing unit (APU) built by AMD. Its CPU is based on the company’s Zen 2 microarchitecture and tops out at 3.5 GHz. The GPU contains eight RDNA 2 compute units running at up to 1.6 GHz, delivering peak performance of 1.6 teraflops. The system packs 16 GB of RAM and a microSD card slot, allowing users to expand upon the built-in storage. The Steam Deck’s 7-inch screen is an LCD with a 16:10 aspect ratio and a 60 Hz refresh rate at a 720p resolution of 1280x800. The Steam Deck also features a dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi radio — it’s compatible with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks — and Bluetooth 5.0 for controllers, accessories, and (unlike the Switch) audio.

At launch, the Steam Deck will be available in three models with different storage options. Valve says there are no performance differences between the three versions — aside from the speed of the flash memory, which will provide varying read and write speeds.

The $399 base model offers 64 GB of storage in the eMMC format. The next model up costs $529, and packs faster storage courtesy of a 256 GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD; it also comes with an “exclusive Steam Community profile bundle.” The top-tier Steam Deck, at $649, includes a 512 GB NVMe SSD that Valve refers to as “high-speed,” although it is still a PCIe 3.0 drive. In addition, this model’s screen features “premium anti-glare etched glass.” The unit comes with an exclusive carrying case and exclusive virtual keyboard theme, on top of the cheaper models’ bonuses.

There is not a thread open for this yet - And guess that people are not too interested in the device.
Personally I have pre-ordered the Mid range unit and I am due to receive it Q2 next year.

TBH, I am not too sure if it will catch on as probably not appeal to a lot of people.

Love the idea of it, but every portable gaming device I've ever owned just doesn't get used unless I'm on holiday (when I'm usually trying to take a break from computer screens anyway).

All I ever think is "why am I using fiddlier controls and looking at a smaller screen when I could be using the TV", the one exception being full-fat Football Manager - which I stream to my phone so that the text doesn't burn in the OLED TV screen...

Seems like decent hardware for the form-factor though.

Love the idea of it, but every portable gaming device I've ever owned just doesn't get used unless I'm on holiday (when I'm usually trying to take a break from computer screens anyway).

All I ever think is "why am I using fiddlier controls and looking at a smaller screen when I could be using the TV", the one exception being full-fat Football Manager - which I stream to my phone so that the text doesn't burn in the OLED TV screen...

The hardware in the device is incredible for the money, and spec wise it apparently completely wipes the floor to a switch.
They are releasing a dock as well, so it basically is a Switch, but has Steam built into it.

I just thought it looked pretty cool and a great idea, and TBH, I reckon it will probably end up being used a lot more by my daughter than myself.

It is pre-ordered so if I change my mind I have until next year to cancel, but I think it could be really good for the money considering it has the huge massive Steam library and they stated that you can also install EPIC Games and Origin on the device too.
+ I think pretty much straight at launch someone will be able to hack it to allow the installation of emulators which will make it a very good proposition.

I wonder what is the limit of the games it can run. Will it be able to run all games in Steam? Probably, but in which quality? Is it 720p/1080p, so Im guessing most?
My eyes strain even playing on an 11in ipad, Im getting old..

I wonder what is the limit of the games it can run. Will it be able to run all games in Steam? Probably, but in which quality? Is it 720p/1080p, so Im guessing most?
My eyes strain even playing on an 11in ipad, Im getting old..

They are saying that it will be able to run all triple A games @720p @60FPS.
Some will obviously be better than others, but I believe that is what they are aiming at.

They are saying that it will be able to run all triple A games @720p @60FPS.
Some will obviously be better than others, but I believe that is what they are aiming at.

If you had to build a desktop with the same performance, what would you think it would be like?
A ryzen 3000 level paired with what a mobile 1660? too much? too little?

@rockstrongo you can connect to screen/tv with a dock

If you had to build a desktop with the same performance, what would you think it would be like?
A ryzen 3000 level paired with what a mobile 1660? too much? too little?

@rockstrongo you can connect to screen/tv with a dock

It is hard to say at the moment, it is all custom made hardware.
It sounds to be about 1/3 of the power of a Series S, but then it is aiming for 720p gaming.

What I have read so far is that they are aiming for MEDIUM/HIGH settings on AAA titles @720p.
So it isn't going to blow anyone's mind and certainly doesn't look like something that should be used as gaming PC replacement.

But should be perfectly fine for a few certain games and emulators.
SWOS on the go - That is an absolute winner for me.. Just have to hope no one scores a last minute equaliser and I throw it against the wall, like many a Quickshot Joystick..

I would be interested to know how many of these I broke back in the day
attachment.php

If it can run games properly after installing windows on it, then it might be of interest to me.

Would be able to run all my old windows games on it that way. Also if it can run all new pc games at 768x480p @ low settings with locked 30 fps, then there are more games than switch. Hopefully the drivers will allow making custom resolutions of 768x480 and 854x480p since wide 16:9 and 16:10 lower resolutions will be important for running games that doesn't come with its own ingame resolution scaler.

But games wont be as optimized as a console game though. So if Nintendo releases Switch 2 a year later, this wont fare well with it in terms of optimization.

In some of the footages I saw, control was running at very low framerates, looked less than a locked 30 fps. So I'm not expecting this to run any next gen games at anything over 30 fps. I would have been nice if the screen was at least 90Hz or at least support 45Hz as well. Could lock some games at 45 fps and play without stutters since 45 fps is a decent compromise.

I also hope that with Windows installed it can run properly the games.

I mean, this could be also good for PES: do you imagine PES 5/6 with mods... on a portable console? Would be nuts

This. This is it for me absolutely.
Don’t have the need to play video games during my holidays. i am usually more interested in the places I go to.
Anyway, during a train ride to the airport I tried playing video games. I did that with an iPad and DS controller. Well, next time I’ll read a book again. :D

For me, video games belong on a big screen in a living room with comfy seating opportunities. :)

So this is going to launch in 5 days. The OS will be:
(according to wikipedia)
Steam Deck will run a modified Arch Linux called SteamOS v3.0. While SteamOS had been previously developed for Steam Machines using Debian Linux, Valve stated that they wanted to use a rolling upgrade approach for the Deck's system software, a function Debian was not designed for but was a feature of Arch Linux

SO this means no orthodox/common/casual Windows emulators. It will need "homebrew" apps to make emulators happen?

Also , since i am a noob, if i get this "console" right, i buy i log in, and i every game i have in my Steam Library (on my PC) are now available also in Steam Deck.

Then i see USB type C, i assume it is only for charging, connecting to PC. Can i pair my XBOX360 wired controller, will there be a USB-type A port?
Also is there an HDMI output? In case i want to connect to a "bigger"-small TV , 24" in my bedroom for example, like my Switch.

Finally, it is a chance for me, since my laptop is now TOO very EXTREMELLY old and dated, to play something newer than PES 2017 i assume, if it can play PES....oh wait hahahhahhah what am i saying, only e-Football, or the modern FIFA... Or play the catalogue of games i have waiting in my STEAM library, and i can't play now, like Transformers Devastation, GTA IV steam version, the Carmageddon collections.

Although most games with real action, will need a Steam , or a proper Controller i assume, especially if the Sticks are as fragile as Nintendo's Switch are..

And of course, games like Age of Mythology, seem as a non-go in this hardware, generally games that need mouse.

If i can pair one of my existing DS4 controllers, or my Nintendo Switch pro controller, or my old Logitech F710 with Bluetooth, it will be a decent plus.

The Introductory price according to wikipedia, seems prohibitive though. Even for the base version, given the use i would like to do, play my old games, 1~2 new sports games, not the heavy AAA+ new titles, by some remastered versions of old arcade games, like Ghost 'n Ghouls, Street Hoop, etc...

That's a lot of money for a (mainly) retro-handheld... In an other life with more money and less family/job duties, i would love to buy it as an extra-experience. For the current time and place, i am not relative i assume, given my limited gaming experience.

started reading this thread... I used to think the same, things changed when I started University, having like 2hrs from work to campus, then 1 and a half from Uni to home... then i realized i needed something to have fun, and i wasnt gonna study or ready anything unless it was the limit date, so i got a psp and it really saved me from boredoom and helped a lot with my stress, right now its on my work bag and i use it to play some pes2014 modded isos during work :)
Should i be working? probably, but right now i get pay just to play my ML

So this is going to launch in 5 days. The OS will be:
(according to wikipedia)

SO this means no orthodox/common/casual Windows emulators. It will need "homebrew" apps to make emulators happen?

Also , since i am a noob, if i get this "console" right, i buy i log in, and i every game i have in my Steam Library (on my PC) are now available also in Steam Deck.

Then i see USB type C, i assume it is only for charging, connecting to PC. Can i pair my XBOX360 wired controller, will there be a USB-type A port?
Also is there an HDMI output? In case i want to connect to a "bigger"-small TV , 24" in my bedroom for example, like my Switch.

Finally, it is a chance for me, since my laptop is now TOO very EXTREMELLY old and dated, to play something newer than PES 2017 i assume, if it can play PES....oh wait hahahhahhah what am i saying, only e-Football, or the modern FIFA... Or play the catalogue of games i have waiting in my STEAM library, and i can't play now, like Transformers Devastation, GTA IV steam version, the Carmageddon collections.

Although most games with real action, will need a Steam , or a proper Controller i assume, especially if the Sticks are as fragile as Nintendo's Switch are..

And of course, games like Age of Mythology, seem as a non-go in this hardware, generally games that need mouse.

If i can pair one of my existing DS4 controllers, or my Nintendo Switch pro controller, or my old Logitech F710 with Bluetooth, it will be a decent plus.

The Introductory price according to wikipedia, seems prohibitive though. Even for the base version, given the use i would like to do, play my old games, 1~2 new sports games, not the heavy AAA+ new titles, by some remastered versions of old arcade games, like Ghost 'n Ghouls, Street Hoop, etc...

That's a lot of money for a (mainly) retro-handheld... In an other life with more money and less family/job duties, i would love to buy it as an extra-experience. For the current time and place, i am not relative i assume, given my limited gaming experience.

If im not wrong i believe not all games from your steam account only those who are compatible with linux or steam os if im not wrong... I guess you have a filter for that in your library, so far most newer games like from 2014-6 til today have that compatibility flag, older games not so much sadly (of course like i said before if im not wrong, steam always surprise us)

So this will be another piece of hardware that no one can get forever because of chip shortage?

You won’t get one this year if you didn’t pre-order.
But those who did will get one.

TBH it is a first come first serve basis with everyone in a queue.
If the PS5 did this then everyone who wanted one would of had one quickish, rather than 80% of consoles going to scalpers and still are.

Well what did Microsoft do wrong? Because the Series X isn't exactly readily available either. Only the S seems relatively easy to find.

I'm not getting the Steam Deck, I'm just said for the people waiting for one.

I really don't get the point of this handheld gaming device. 720p, 30fps (mostly), £400 minimum. I'm using Xcloud for £11p/m and, at least for me, it's working flawlessly on every device I tried.

I really don't get the point of this handheld gaming device. 720p, 30fps (mostly), £400 minimum. I'm using Xcloud for £11p/m and, at least for me, it's working flawlessly on every device I tried.
The game catalogs are different. You can't play xcloud without a connection example airplane. You don't need to carry a controller or an adapter. Different approach to on the go gaming.
Xcloud for me is great don't get me wrong, but they aren't quite the same.

The game catalogue on Steam Deck will be ten fold what is available on XCloud + I am pretty certain people will find a way to install emulators.
It is an expensive device, however reviews for it have been very good and they are stating it gives PS4 standard visuals.

Yes the 30FPS isn't amazing, but console gamers play 30FPS on games even now - Only in performance mode do they normally go above this.

I pre-ordered one, but don't think I will actually complete the purchase - But it is a fantastic bit of kit and incredible they could get that much power into a handheld device.

Hi guys,

has anyone here tried some older footie games on this thing? Would be especially interested in playing FIFA 16 or PES5 with patches on the deck. I’m wondering if those are playable via proton…

It should be on Steam no? Or you have to crack it. There's a lot of Android portable you can put Emulator etc. i think even Windows can run on some.
There's some portable like that where you can install for example an Emulator OS, perhaps even Windows... But i believe that one got "Steam" restrictions etc., well to me small screen > good for old games GBA/PSP/3DS. At home lol.
https://retrododo.com/upcoming-handhelds/ There example. But i think there's more powerful handeld, those are very focused Retrogaming

It's not like a Laptop or whatever else. Not interested by the Steam catalog, but there's others/olders PC games which could interest me...
Would prefers to take a Switch (out of price and very rare to found in Occident) as Nintendo got tons of exclusives. Even a 3DS no joke.

But like 2-3 said before me i'm always thinking "Why playing on a small screen when i can on a big one". And when i got somewhere, i try to avoir screen and computers. Phone only when necessary.
Prefers a thousand times enjoying the travel, or if i got to check a screen it will be a movie on the plane or Autocar.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

has anyone here tried some older footie games on this thing? Would be especially interested in playing FIFA 16 or PES5 with patches on the deck. I’m wondering if those are playable via proton…

Yeah they should work under Proton.
And no, your game doesnt have to be a steam game on the steam deck, it literally runs anything

I haven't tried older PES games, efootball 2022 and PES2021 work like a charm.
Non steam games like my CDrom version of NFSU2 and Need for speed Porsche 2000 work as well.

Will report back if i ever get around to try it, aren't there AIO patched versions on evo-web of those games?
If so, i could try it in the upcoming week

Back
Top Bottom