The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

Hey guys! I was wondering if any of you could help me with FIFA 09 PC.

I've been looking everywhere for Japanese and/or Spanish commentary files but haven't been able to find them anywhere! I'm really enjoying this edition with the CEP patch. :)

Thing is, even if I'd be able to find these files, I'd have no idea where to apply them, haha..

Maybe @Anth James or @Sami 1999 can help me with this? Thanks in advance!

I've been looking everywhere for Japanese and/or Spanish commentary files but haven't been able to find them anywhere! I'm really enjoying this edition with the CEP patch. :)

Thing is, even if I'd be able to find these files, I'd have no idea where to apply them, haha..

I haven't messed with the audio files so I can't be of much help here.

However, the audio files are most likely inside the "data" folder in either one of those zdata.big files or in one of the .big files inside the other subfolers of data folder.

You will need Rinaldo's File Master 09/10 to access the .big files and add stuff inside it. If you do manage to find the audio files location and add your additional Jap commentary files, you will need to regenerate the big files afterwards.

And that probably alone wont be enough. There are some .ini files inside the .big files, some of them might contain the region info for your particular copy of the game. You might have to change those too, otherwise, Jap language option wont show up at the start of the game.

^All of this is assuming there are even Jap commentary files for this game in the first place. On my copy of the game, I don't think I had Jap language option. But I don't have the game installed, so I can't check it at the moment.

As for Spanish commentary, I think some regions contained the Spanish language and commentary. You might be better off finding a copy of that and installing it instead of going through the hassle of manually adding and changing the files.

Hey sorry man, I don't actually have FIFA 09 PC so can't help.

Have a couple of additional questions regarding FIFA 09:

- I was wondering if there was a way to make commentary more frequent? It seems like the commentators in my version (PC with CEP Patch) have long periods of silence without commentary.. Wonder if this happened to anyone else?

- Even after applying @Sami 1999's fix in the earlier page, I'm still getting occassional micro-stuttering (playing on a modern gaming PC). I was wondering if anything else could be done to solve this, whether it is tweaking NVIDIA settings or any other solution?

Thanks a lot guys. :TU:

Last edited:
For FIFA 09 (i rarely mention that version) the issue is that players are too fast with the ball, practically equal. Even if there's an hidden stats about Dribble speed / people used to FIFA should knows it /

I remember scoring by running from the midfield on a counter attack and very very rarely catch lol. But before i noticed it, i really liked. I played on Semi online, and i think i made the best starting from all Fifa version, with Chelsea (as i love Drogba)

But overall that game is pretty fun, i've made a PL on it (not a career) And there was for that time a lot more variety in comparison to... Shut :JAY:

Thanks for sharing, never tried a PS2 era from Fifa but it looks more than decent as a football game, and not champagne football neither.
Defense doesn't look easy to pass, a lot of good sliding tackles, and significant pressure.

Thanks for sharing, never tried a PS2 era from Fifa but it looks more than decent as a football game, and not champagne football neither.

Yeah, back in the ps1-ps2 and early ps3 era, FIFA game's kept improving each year in terms of gameplay. So each game felt like an improvement in terms of gameplay more or less.

FIFA 2004 was in my opinion, very decent game for it's time. It's not good as PES 2004 and 05, the ball physics were not as good as FIFA 06, but it was a game that you can enjoy. Also I've noticed that the opponent AI tends to commit lots of foul in this game and AI would get yellow cards every now and then, which seems like a rarity in modern fifa games.

I feel like the development in gameplay and overall presentation [graphics, offline features] took a nose dive after EA realized they can just milk FUT players, which is a shame.

@vialli82 bro answering to your post in the other thread: I've never tried FIFA 08! I remember back in the day I used to play FIFA 07 with one of my best friends, and then I checked out FIFA 09, but never 08! I would like to try it out now that you mention it!

I enjoyed FIFA 09 with what I think is one of the best patches of all time, the CEP (Career expansion patch), but I had some performance issues on my PC. @Madmac79 mentioned that both FIFA 09 and 10 were a bit troublesome in modern PC's.. But I think FIFA 08 could be fine, would like to try it out..

And also, there is CEP patch for FIFA 08! An insane amount of leagues, some really obscure, but I've read that career mode crashes after the second season.. Will probably keep looking for options but in anycase, you have sparked my interest in FIFA 08. :TU:

Mate : only on console version, the one on PC is the same engine as PS2 you know it (until FIFA 12 in fact, even if FIFA 11 got the console engine it was a copy of FIFA World Cup 2010 ;) )

EDIT @millossobek
I honestly preferred at the time FIFA 08 to 09 even if it's overally a good version : there was some kind of bug, or gameplay choice about players with the ball : Many gotten the same speed with or without the ball, there was tons of goal scored like this : you make a pass to your CF for a counter attack and run straight, then shoot. Always the same problem. FIFA 08 was slower, more realistic physically.
The only advange of FIFA 09 : you feel (a small bit) more stats than in FIFA 08, but it was the same like you could've pass with Del Piero vs Ivan Cordoba without making a feint or a very good dribble ;)

Now, FIFA 07 was the first with that engine but you can forget about it. It really started on PS360. Or just by curiosity. It doesn't change the older Fifa feeling, in comparision to the 08 which make a bomb effect.
Try with Xenia Xbox 360 emulator then : as you got a good PC it should support that game without slowdown or issues as that version is not that much demanding ;)
BUT i'm sure there's a version which isn't that much compatible with Xenia. I hope it's not FIFA 08... Well, since that time the emulator evolved so i can't tell

Last edited:
yes indeed, the only problem is the lack of specific faces in the game
I tried it finally. The biggest issue are shoot way too straight and similar.

Got a question : what's the best FIFA's PS2 version inspired by his PS360 big brother is the best? Except FIFA 14 i already got it and it's a good, astonishing version.
But the resolution and players a bit too blurry, and the whole game feels like a "cinematic" version of football, i mean it's blurry, the FPS are low etc.
The game isn't as fluid as FIFA 2004 for example. FIFA 06 or 07 then? I heard good thing about those one, on older console especially. If it's the same as the 2004, there's no interest for me to replay again the same game with 2006 rosters.

Does anyone know a good patch for FIFA 07 that simply fixes the unlicensed teams badges and uniforms? There is the Career Expansion Patch but that mod is massive and adds a hundred of leagues that I'm not interested and last time I tried my game crashed constantly.

Does anyone know a good patch for FIFA 07 that simply fixes the unlicensed teams badges and uniforms? There is the Career Expansion Patch but that mod is massive and adds a hundred of leagues that I'm not interested and last time I tried my game crashed constantly.
FIFA 07 Logo Patch

now, about the kits, you might have to install them manually...

New pc and I finally can play this masterpiece via emulation! Incredible atmosphere, incredible game. From these few matches I did, all the hype I read through the years was more than justified!
hi, what emulator are you playing it with?

Back
Top Bottom