The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

A couple of days ago I bought FIFA 08 for PS2 from a street vendor. I made ISO/BIN files but I can't get it to work well on the PCSX2 emulator. It's either very slow or the players have strange black stripes and patterns all over their bodies. Can anybody share their PCSX2 settings if they were able to emulate any of the FIFA games for PS2?
I've got a few ISOs with exactly that behaviour -- vertical black lines across the screen, odd flickering glitches on heads/faces, etc -- one of which is my favourite FIFA from that era, FIFA 07. Also the likes of Football Kingdom.

Maybe try the latest PCSX2 development build -- not as scary as it sounds, and it won't disrupt your existing PCSX2. You will have to go through the setup again so make sure you remembered where your BIOS files are (in your very first PCSX2 location, i.e. Documents/PCSX2/bios or similar).

The link to PCSX2 dev builds is on this page (I was going to link directly but I'm grabbing such things I like to orient myself in the parent website(s) first, make sure everything's legit): https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PCSX2#Download

At the time of typing, 1.7.2071 is the latest downloadable dev build. I grabbed that to test and it's fine.

Try running your FIFA 08 on the dev build's out-of-the-box settings first. It will look terrible, but as long as it works (no bars and no flickering heads), you can delve into the detailed settings etc.

My key settings (I get great results with FIFA 07, with only occasional slowdown at cutscenes):

Use the European BIOS 2.00 from the year 2004

Upscale at least to 1080p in Config>Graphics Settings>Internal Resolution tab (may still look quite bad, but bearable-bad)

And at the very bottom of the General Settings window there's a slider that is on 2 by default, but I changed it to 3 to see what happened and nothing bad did so I left it.

FIFA 07, a problem child on the latest official build of PCSX2, running nicely on PCSX2 development build 1.7.2071:

Doesn't look that great in playback there but it's playable, and I could probably get away with putting the graphics up higher but my PC likes it best at that level.

Thank you! It definitely helped with the stripes and the overall performance but playing and recording the video with OBS studio seems to be impossible for my CPU. Which program do you use to record?

Thank you! It definitely helped with the stripes and the overall performance but playing and recording the video with OBS studio seems to be impossible for my CPU. Which program do you use to record?
Just the built-in GeForce software on my machine. If you haven't got that, is there an Xbox-style overlay when you press the equivalent of the Xbox button on the controller? Sometimes I bring that up by accident and there is a basic (presumably lightweight) screen recorder built into it. Your recorder of last resort would be your phone or video camera mounted on a tripod or tripod-like thing and pointed at the screen. If you get the positioning right (and disable auto-focus) results can be decent.

I just tried the FIFA 08 ISO on my non-gaming laptop, on the current public PCSX2 release, out of curiosity to see what it's like, and it's one of the worst I've seen for vertical bars etc. I've never seen those thick red bars before. Then I tried it on the dev build (I see they've added another one overnight) and the graphical glitches are gone but it's sloooow. This is only on a laptop with integrated graphics, I can't wait to try it later on the gaming rig, that clutch of FIFA games from 06 to 08 released just before PS3 were pretty good IMO.

Yes, I definitely need a better GPU. :)
Do you have an AMD GPU perhaps?

I had serious issues trying to run every old FIFA game on PCSX2 (to the point that I've given up) with a Radeon R9 270X.
  • DirectX would create lots of artifacts on the players' kits (but it would run fine in terms of speed)
  • OpenGL... Well, not even worth bothering. So slow that it was unplayable
  • Software rendering was pretty good in terms of speed, but boy that was ugly...
I definitely need to see if things are going better now with my new rig (RX 5700XT)

Yes I do, an integrated one (AMD Radeon Vega 8)
I managed to test FIFA 08 out on the overnight dev release of PCSX2 on my gaming PC.

All worked fine (no slowdown, no graphical glitches) so it was just a matter of finding the most comfortable settings.

First, I dropped a slight clanger starting with Widescreen on, stretching everything – this is with graphics set to 1080p:

I actually don't mind the squashed feel that 16:9 imparts to a 4:3 game, so if I return I might play with this setting.

Next up was 4:3 itself, but this time – scary – I upped the upscaling to 1440p. My PC didn’t choke, but I sometimes noticed faint horizontal lines that are not visible in this recording. I cropped out my desktop from this video and the software I used reduced the file size as well, so you don't get the full 1440p effect here, but in realtime it's really decent:

I spotted that there's a screen recorder built into PCSX2?

I've heard so many good things about FIFA World Cup 2010 on here over the years, even before FIFA really got a foothold, and finally got to try it out.

What a quality game! Not least because of the physicality of it, which of course must include fouls and free kicks on both sides (otherwise a football game's physicality is purely cosmetic, i.e. no gameplay impact). Great handling in general, the way the players move, passing and shooting. the old-fashioned feeling does arise from that quality which everyone on this forum calls 'on rails', but which isn't part of my football gaming lexicon, because I generally don't mind it at all. In fact it could be argued that football gaming lost its way when it started trying to take itself 'off the rails'.

That was the 'Quick Match' option on startup, Professional difficulty. I thought maybe this Quick Match was a demo-style game calibrated to have fouls and feel gritty in that way as a deliberate ruse to lure in players like me. Games companies know what we look for in footy games and they usually make sure we find it, particularly in demos, until they quite deliberately take it away. Cf. pretty much every football game of the past 10 years.

But no... The quality held up. I started a full World Cup campaign, from qualifying, as Ireland, same difficulty, and played the first two matches, away in an atmospheric Eastern European stadia (Georgia and Montenegro: real fixtures from 2008 qualifying). Lost both quite badly with my players feeling very individualistic indeed. Robbie Keane up front. Kevin Kilbane in midfield. Etc. (Personally I love it when old football games have old teams and players. Never quite understood the general fixation upon the current year's kits and rosters, but that's another discussion.)

Very very impressed.

Playing on PS3, which is OK but slightly inconvenent for me the way I have things set up (too few HDMI cables and I'm not buying another one), so of course I went looking for a PC version, thinking there'd be some FIFA 16-style community curating this game through the years like the old Crusader at the end of Indiana Jones 3... but it never came out on PC. Dammit.

I went as far as trying the PS3 emulator on PC for the first time in years. Still need a supercomputer for it, which mine isn't.

Last edited:
I've heard so many good things about FIFA World Cup 2010 on here over the years, even before FIFA really got a foothold, and finally got to try it out.

What a quality game! Not least because of the physicality of it, which of course must include fouls and free kicks on both sides (otherwise a football game's physicality is purely cosmetic, i.e. no gameplay impact). Great handling in general, the way the players move, passing and shooting. the old-fashioned feeling does arise from that quality which everyone on this forum calls 'on rails', but which isn't part of my football gaming lexicon, because I generally don't mind it at all. In fact it could be argued that football gaming lost its way when it started trying to take itself 'off the rails'.

That was the 'Quick Match' option on startup, Professional difficulty. I thought maybe this Quick Match was a demo-style game calibrated to have fouls and feel gritty in that way as a deliberate ruse to lure in players like me. Games companies know what we look for in footy games and they usually make sure we find it, particularly in demos, until they quite deliberately take it away. Cf. pretty much every football game of the past 10 years.

But no... The quality held up. I started a full World Cup campaign, from qualifying, as Ireland, same difficulty, and played the first two matches, away in an atmospheric Eastern European stadia (Georgia and Montenegro: real fixtures from 2008 qualifying). Lost both quite badly with my players feeling very individualistic indeed. Robbie Keane up front. Kevin Kilbane in midfield. Etc. (Personally I love it when old football games have old teams and players. Never quite understood the general fixation upon the current year's kits and rosters, but that's another discussion.)

Very very impressed.

Playing on PS3, which is OK but slightly inconvenent for me the way I have things set up (too few HDMI cables and I'm not buying another one), so of course I went looking for a PC version, thinking there'd be some FIFA 16-style community curating this game through the years like the old Crusader at the end of Indiana Jones 3... but it never came out on PC. Dammit.

I went as far as trying the PS3 emulator on PC for the first time in years. Still need a supercomputer for it, which mine isn't.

I don't need any excuse to gush over this game. Looks great, sounds great, plays great. Presumably it would smell great but, alas, EA never did reprise the scratch 'n' sniff disc.

It's a masterpiece.

What a quality game! [...] But no... The quality held up. I started a full World Cup campaign, from qualifying, as Ireland, same difficulty, and played the first two matches, away in an atmospheric Eastern European stadia (Georgia and Montenegro: real fixtures from 2008 qualifying). [...] Very very impressed.
Yeah, great great game. Thank the good old Simon Humber for that. I wish he was still here to see how good this game is still considered after 10+ years.

Can't wait to try it with RPCS3 to see how it looks @ 1080p and to also try importing the missing kits, maybe (if applying patches to the PS3 games is supported, of course)...

Yeah, great great game. Thank the good old Simon Humber for that. I wish he was still here to see how good this game is still considered after 10+ years.

Can't wait to try it with RPCS3 to see how it looks @ 1080p and to also try importing the missing kits, maybe (if applying patches to the PS3 games is supported, of course)...

I tried finding the patches that included updated kits, adboards, etc. but couldn't get them. If you end up finding them please let me/us know. Thanks.

hI bros!

I'm looking for a Patch which includes both the K-League and the J-League for FIFA 2014 PC version, (preferably current rosters, but not necessary) I haven't been able to get Infinity patch to work for me, so I'm looking for an alternative patch which has these leagues!

Let me know through here or through a PM if you guys know of one, Thanks! :TU:

Hey guys, one more quick question. :TU:

I was wondering if there's any patch or mod that makes FIFA 2011 (PC version) slower.

There are 3 gameplay speeds built-in the game, slow, normal, and fast.. But even "slow" is too fast for me, so maybe there's a way to make gameplay even slower?

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Hey guys, one more quick question. :TU:

I was wondering if there's any patch or mod that makes FIFA 2011 (PC version) slower.

There are 3 gameplay speeds built-in the game, slow, normal, and fast.. But even "slow" is too fast for me, so maybe there's a way to make gameplay even slower?

Thanks in advance! :)
ads cheat engine ... can adjust game speed ...

Any ideas here? It's an absolute mess!:

Some things never change regarding the quality control of these games. I played a match on FIFA 22 earlier and 5 minutes into my first game I pause it and it just gets stuck on that stupid stadium background render, no pause menu, Can't cancel back the game. Match ruined. Switched it off, Literally turned me off in more than one sense.

It's incredible how 17 screwed up the true size of the ball for the 1st time
Is there a work about FIFA games vs. Real Life comparison of proportions? Played FIFA 22 on PC recently. Players felt huge compared to field like if they group up they can cover so many ground on the field. Field with felt too small. Field length feels normal for proportions but players run too fast, goes from center line to box in 3 seconds. Goals felt small. It feels like they made goals small and goalkeepers big yet still too many goals scored like 3-3 at the halftime.

I was trying to work out which FIFA introduced sliders for the first time, Was it FIFA 10 or did it actually get trialled in World Cup 2010 before settling into the series for good from then?

Guys, how's it going!!

I'm looking for a website and/or database which includes all the stats for one of my favorite FIFAs ever, Fifa Football 2003! Specifically for Brescia Calcio..

I've been browsing around and I haven't been able to find them. Let me know if they can be found anywhere!

Thanks in advance. :TU:

Did a bunch of games with Fifa 10 pc.. honestly it's quite different from what my far memory of it suggested. I considered it rubbish back then.. but, while it's certainly nowhere near the next gen ones or even the beautiful Fifa 11 for pc, picking it up today I've found it surprisingly fun. It feels a bit more advanced than the classic Ps2 engine - like while keeping the general old structure they experimented with some new animation and mechanics. Even the player models look less stocky and more akin to the ng ones. Talking more specifically about the field action, some movements are crazy fast and generally I still wouldn't pick it over any more advanced football game of that era (or even, it goes without saying, a random Ps2 Pes), nonetheless I really appreciated the action and the general variety of it all; I had this idea of it being both way less fluid and way more monotonous, but to my amusement it simply wasn't; in the few games I did I already encountered much more randomness I could have hoped for. Considering the career is still a little gem of depth, probably somehow even better than modern ones, I'm thinking of starting an on and off one just to see where it takes me.

Did a bunch of games with Fifa 10 pc...
This takes me back, I remember getting this version when it came out and thought it looked like an interesting for about 10 minutes but then after one match you feel like you've seen it all.

I looked it up on YouTube and it doesn't look as bad as I remembered so I'm gonna try and track it down for old times sake. I've been on a PS2 FIFA kick recently and they all do subtle things you didn't see in PES that surprised me too.

But FIFA 10 was part of that saga of EA not making the PC and Console versions identical. It took until FIFA 12 I believe to finally get identical games.

Back
Top Bottom