The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

This takes me back, I remember getting this version when it came out and thought it looked like an interesting for about 10 minutes but then after one match you feel like you've seen it all.

I looked it up on YouTube and it doesn't look as bad as I remembered so I'm gonna try and track it down for old times sake. I've been on a PS2 FIFA kick recently and they all do subtle things you didn't see in PES that surprised me too.

But FIFA 10 was part of that saga of EA not making the PC and Console versions identical. It took until FIFA 12 I believe to finally get identical games.

My experience is a lot like yours. Pretty sure I tried it even back in 09/10, but found it completely uninteresting and immediately discarded it. Then days ago I watched a video by chance, looked interesting enough and now, even if it's still a very "light" game, it feels like a fun experience with some unexpected perks. I don't know, I guess 12 years more of football gaming exp makes you see things differently :D.

Yeah Fifa 12 was the first identical one between pc and consoles, although 11 was more or less a Fifa 10 nex gen port (somebody even said it felt like a "10.5", but I never played 10 on console so can't put my hand on fire about it), so while not on par with the 360/Ps3 one still a beautiful game. Now that I think about it I can't recall you ever doing Fifas of that period anyway (8-11), would be cool to see some!

My experience is a lot like yours. Pretty sure I tried it even back in 09/10, but found it completely uninteresting and immediately discarded it. Then days ago I watched a video by chance, looked interesting enough and now, even if it's still a very "light" game, it feels like a fun experience with some unexpected perks. I don't know, I guess 12 years more of football gaming exp makes you see things differently :D.

Yeah Fifa 12 was the first identical one between pc and consoles, although 11 was more or less a Fifa 10 nex gen port (somebody even said it felt like a "10.5", but I never played 10 on console so can't put my hand on fire about it), so while not on par with the 360/Ps3 one still a beautiful game. Now that I think about it I can't recall you ever doing Fifas of that period anyway (8-11), would be cool to see some!
It certainly does, like some kind of football gaming maturity, being able to accept them for their limits and with out the pressure of being the best looking or most realistic games in the world but rather as individual interpretations of the sport. Plus who could've predicted that the football aspect in these games would become so commodotised and cutthroat in terms of constant monetisation in the future, so dystopic that these older titles seem so innocent and earnest by comparison despite their technical inferiorities.

They're works of art in their own right, you think about the effort that goes into the presentation, the music, the curation that those individuals consider a great work and it just gets swept aside for the next annual product.

Anyway, enough of getting sentimental, I'd love to do some more retro FIFA stuff eventually, problem is there's so much troubleshooting involved in getting them to run smoothly and look presentable on PC.

The PS2 FIFA's have a worse LOD than PES did and the Gamecube versions look far nicer but don't work correctly in wide-screen.

Last time we discussed with @Madmac79 about this, was in PES thread, about signing Lewandowski in PES 2011.

I don't remember how he named it, time travel, retcon, time cheating, past attack, retrospective something.... This time i have a name, i call it "Time Heist"... :)

In this Time Heist, signing a 16yo Haaland for St. Pauli, for only 500.000€... That's what i would call a "good deal" :D

Despite this, his overall is really low, and i have zero clue how development works in Career Mode. According to sofifa page, it says potential 78 overall.

I hope that, burning him in training drills and playing him constantly will do the job. Or even better, if he achieves better than his stats, may his development can go better than his potential. Zero clue at all..

Last edited:
Last time we discussed with @Madmac79 about this, was in PES thread, about signing Lewandowski in PES 2011.

I don't remember how he named it, time travel, , retcon, time cheating, past attack, retrospective something.... This time i have a name, i call it "Time Heist"... :)

In this time Heist, signing a 16yo Haaland for St. Pauli, for only 500.000€... That's what i would call a "good deal" :D

Despite this, his overall is really low, and i have zero clue how development works in Career Mode. According to sofifa page, it says potential 78 overall.

I hope that, burning him in training drills and playing him constantly will do the job. Or even better, if he achieves better than his stats, may his development can go better than his potential. Zero clue at all..
I remember the discussion, but not the term I used. Time heist seems perfect :APPLAUD:

Yeah, seems like a super great deal :) . No idea there already was Haaland in Fifa 17 either; not a super expert on development as it was prior to 18 (I loaded a career save from 17 time ago and I realized I used to not even train players back in the days.. man how bad was I playing lol), but I suspect he'll probably eventually meet a plateau if he's destined too. In my much loved Fifa 19 adventure he stopped at 83 overall despite me desperately trying to make him go further, but still was an hell of a bomber. Could be the case here too maybe :)

I remember the discussion, but not the term I used. Time heist seems perfect :APPLAUD:

Yeah, seems like a super great deal :) . No idea there already was Haaland in Fifa 17 either; not a super expert on development as it was prior to 18 (I loaded a career save from 17 time ago and I realized I used to not even train players back in the days.. man how bad was I playing lol), but I suspect he'll probably eventually meet a plateau if he's destined too. In my much loved Fifa 19 adventure he stopped at 83 overall despite me desperately trying to make him go further, but still was an hell of a bomber. Could be the case here too maybe :)
Did not expect him to be in 2017 too, but searched via sofifa, and found him, so i went for.

According to the site, he was added on September of 2017. From the good habits of EA. Even before the new title is to launch, they are still updating rosters, in contrast to the other game, that stop roster updates from May.

If they were also as lenient as KONAMI, to not remove free agents instantly, it would be even better.

I miss so much my mate Gabriel Barbosa aka Gabigol . IIRC 2017 is the last FIFA you can find him in Inter. After that FIFA, he was appearing and disappearing after squad updates, due to him going on loan to Santos amd Flamengo, and the usual issue with Brazilian teams and EA.

So, this fella arrived yesterday:

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-10 at 16.01.10(2).jpg

Always had a certain curiosity/fascination about it. I remember that, while here it's a bit more in shadows in favour of the World Cup edition of the same year or Fifa 11, this game was really valued in an old "elitist" forum I used to lurk in the golden age of footies and even beyond (from early/middle 00's to the beginning of Fox era iirc). It was an italian Pes board/community, at first host of a larger website, then indepedent. Probably the first one in which I recall reading people discussing football games the way we do here, thinking about fundamentals, faithful representation of the sport and so on.

Well, to give you context, this forum was super Pes oriented, and while some members appreciated Fifa the majority seemed to be a bit more than hostile towards it. Yet I remember Fifa 10 was the first one truly accepted as an objectively very good game by a good percentage of users. I remember in particular this one guy, who geneally wrote brilliant things about Pes, that used to hate with a passion Fifa.. yet this was probably the only chapter of that era he genuinely liked, having even a full narrated story career or something if my memory don't betray me. Then for the chornicles he started hating Fifa again the next year lol.

Anyway, having explained the charme this chapter reflects on me, I could only play a couple games; seems like another really fun one indeed. It's, as known, really really similar to Fifa 11 on pc but something overall feels a bit different.
I'll take advantage from the chance and recur that picking these old Fifas I'm really shocked how I used to believe in the Pes propaganda :D that stats of this era's games wouldn't matter much. Not only pad in hands you can appreciate it on your own players, but in my trial Sevilla career I played Barça in spanish Supercup and Xeres a few days later.. couldn't have been a much different experience.. such a shame I'm super lazy in firing up the Ps3, I'd surely play more out of all of them.

Speaking of which, with this one I completed the "regular" golden age chapters of pre-tactical defending almost without realizing:

Editor di foto- Pixlr X - editing di immagini online gratuito 10-9-2022 17-09-53.png

tempted to also hunt for Euro 08 and most of all World Cup 10. Never been much of a collectionist (bought each of them just cause I wanted to genuinely try them out, except from 09 which it's the only one I picked up in his age) and it's also fun that as a mostly Pes guy all my life as of today I have more boxed Fifas than Pes.. but it is what it is I guess :D

So, this fella arrived yesterday:

View attachment 177392

Always had a certain curiosity/fascination about it. I remember that, while here it's a bit more in shadows in favour of the World Cup edition of the same year or Fifa 11, this game was really valued in an old "elitist" forum I used to lurk in the golden age of footies and even beyond (from early/middle 00's to the beginning of Fox era iirc). It was an italian Pes board/community, at first host of a larger website, then indepedent. Probably the first one in which I recall reading people discussing football games the way we do here, thinking about fundamentals, faithful representation of the sport and so on.

Well, to give you context, this forum was super Pes oriented, and while some members appreciated Fifa the majority seemed to be a bit more than hostile towards it. Yet I remember Fifa 10 was the first one truly accepted as an objectively very good game by a good percentage of users. I remember in particular this one guy, who geneally wrote brilliant things about Pes, that used to hate with a passion Fifa.. yet this was probably the only chapter of that era he genuinely liked, having even a full narrated story career or something if my memory don't betray me. Then for the chornicles he started hating Fifa again the next year lol.

Anyway, having explained the charme this chapter reflects on me, I could only play a couple games; seems like another really fun one indeed. It's, as known, really really similar to Fifa 11 on pc but something overall feels a bit different.
I'll take advantage from the chance and recur that picking these old Fifas I'm really shocked how I used to believe in the Pes propaganda :D that stats of this era's games wouldn't matter much. Not only pad in hands you can appreciate it on your own players, but in my trial Sevilla career I played Barça in spanish Supercup and Xeres a few days later.. couldn't have been a much different experience.. such a shame I'm super lazy in firing up the Ps3, I'd surely play more out of all of them.

Speaking of which, with this one I completed the "regular" golden age chapters of pre-tactical defending almost without realizing:

View attachment 177395

tempted to also hunt for Euro 08 and most of all World Cup 10. Never been much of a collectionist (bought each of them just cause I wanted to genuinely try them out, except from 09 which it's the only one I picked up in his age) and it's also fun that as a mostly Pes guy all my life as of today I have more boxed Fifas than Pes.. but it is what it is I guess :D
Nice shots mate. I always forget you have PS3. Really do you? Or You emulate this? My memory is playing me games... :)

So, as I always confuse that FIFA generation, what's the difference between this and PC version?

I read always, that fifa 10 & 11 PC, are not same ports as PS3, and I wonder, is it a different engine in the same generation? Like FIFA 10 PC is like PES 2008-2009-2010 engine, and FIFA 10 PS3 is the PED 2011-2012-2013 engine?

Speaking of FIFA 11 on PC, I've tried it before and liked it, played with cheat engine and slowed the game down to approximately 0.94 speed and it was perfect that way for me. (this was before FIFA had game speed). :) Even though I'm more of a PES fan, one thing I do love about FIFA is that it has the complete licensed K-League, which is a HUGE plus in my book.

FIFA 14 PC is quite nice too.. Pretty cool installment.. But I think the K-League has way too many generic faces (including the option files I've downloaded), by this I don't mean the default ones, but there are many Korean teams which have players with exactly the same face, and bald, which is not realistic at all..

I will try patch hunting for FIFA 11 again. What patch would you guys recommend (it doesn't have to be current, in fact it would be nice to have a retro season).. I'd love it if the patch has the K-League and the J-League. :TU:

Last edited:
Nice shots mate. I always forget you have PS3. Really do you? Or You emulate this? My memory is playing me games... :)

So, as I always confuse that FIFA generation, what's the difference between this and PC version?

I read always, that fifa 10 & 11 PC, are not same ports as PS3, and I wonder, is it a different engine in the same generation? Like FIFA 10 PC is like PES 2008-2009-2010 engine, and FIFA 10 PS3 is the PED 2011-2012-2013 engine?

I actually have a Ps3 mate, unfortunately my pc isn't powerful enough to emulate it with the Rpcs3 emu, the other one that should be lighter simply doesn't work with my graphic card. Problem is that I'm so used to pick up and play things quickly as I do on pc I'm really lazy in connecting Ps3 and sitting in front of it, with loading times, putting in the phyisical disc and so on. I only do it once in a week or even way less maybe, before the retro Fifa fever in the last 5 years something I actually played The Last of Us loaned from a friend and kept it shut for all the rest of the time :)

As for the differences between console/pc: Fifa 10 on pc it's radically different than Ps3 and it's based on that same weird engine some of the previous ones run; it's like they picked 05/06 and put on refined models, experimented a bit with some new animations and mechanics, but it's essentialy way less advanced than next gen. I played some of it and it's not even that bad in the end, but there is no fight really. All Ps3 chapters from 08 (probably 07 too) onwards are really another planet.

Fifa 11 on pc instead it's the first purely based on the "next gen" engine, but it's basically a final version of Fifa 10 on Ps3; as I said above they really look almost identical but I can feel some overall difference here and there. Fifa 11 on Ps3 had special abilities for players, a brand new career and some other subtleties he pc counterpart lacked. Still a very good game in my book tho.

Yeah, I think your comparison is more or less accurate; Fifa 10 pc was a completely different animal than the Ps3 games. I think actually the gap was even way bigger compared with Pes 08/09/10 and 11/12/13!

I actually have a Ps3 mate, unfortunately my pc isn't powerful enough to emulate it with the Rpcs3 emu, the other one that should be lighter simply doesn't work with my graphic card. Problem is that I'm so used to pick up and play things quickly as I do on pc I'm really lazy in connecting Ps3 and sitting in front of it, with loading times, putting in the phyisical disc and so on. I only do it once in a week or even way less maybe, before the retro Fifa fever in the last 5 years something I actually played The Last of Us loaned from a friend and kept it shut for all the rest of the time :)

As for the differences between console/pc: Fifa 10 on pc it's radically different than Ps3 and it's based on that same weird engine some of the previous ones run; it's like they picked 05/06 and put on refined models, experimented a bit with some new animations and mechanics, but it's essentialy way less advanced than next gen. I played some of it and it's not even that bad in the end, but there is no fight really. All Ps3 chapters from 08 (probably 07 too) onwards are really another planet.

Fifa 11 on pc instead it's the first purely based on the "next gen" engine, but it's basically a final version of Fifa 10 on Ps3; as I said above they really look almost identical but I can feel some overall difference here and there. Fifa 11 on Ps3 had special abilities for players, a brand new career and some other subtleties he pc counterpart lacked. Still a very good game in my book tho.

Yeah, I think your comparison is more or less accurate; Fifa 10 pc was a completely different animal than the Ps3 games. I think actually the gap was even way bigger compared with Pes 08/09/10 and 11/12/13!

You thought about jailbreaking the PS3 and playing the games from memory? I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to!

I read the process to jailbreak a Ps3 once. Turned out I'm also too lazy to do that 😅. Besides this I'm worried I might screw something up.
Anybody who has illusions of grandeur and think they would make a great surgeon should try using one of those Xbox controller stick repair kits from eBay 😂😂 It became a 3-person job and we still fucked it up 🙄😂

I’ve been playing the World Cup mode on FIFA 14 console/Ignite version lately and it’s a really great game. I forgot how good it was actually. It made me think, is this the first time a World Cup has come around and we’re going to be still stuck on the same engine as the previous World Cup? Bla.

Rpcs3 is the only ps3 emulator on pc. Xenia is xbox 360 emulator.
yes i know differences between these two. my question was clearly wrong.

my question was for fifa series, which emulator does give us better performance to run old fifa games (especially fifa 08 and 09)?

yes i know differences between these two. my question was clearly wrong.

my question was for fifa series, which emulator does give us better performance to run old fifa games (especially fifa 08 and 09)?

Currently, RPCS3 gives the most stable emulation for FIFA 08, 09, 10 world cup and 11.

FIFA 10 on RPCS3 has vanishing goal keeper bug which renders the game unplayable . This bug occurs with some updates of rpcs3 and doesn't occur with others, it's random at this point. Fifa 10 doesn't run correctly in xenia either to the point of affecting gameplay physics.

Being that said, FIFA 08, EURO 08 ps3 port looked inferior to its xbox 360 counterpart due to incorrect cloth wrinkle normal maps and missing 3d grass. Both fifa 08 and euro 08 runs on Xenia, but has audio bug with current builds. This was not present with pre January 2021 xenia builds but the download links for those xenia builds have long expired. So for fifa 08 and euro 08, you have to stick with rpcs3 since the emulation is quite stable.

FIFA 09 ps3 port also suffers from incorrect cloth wrinkle normal maps, making x360 port to be the best possible version of the game. But xenia can't run the game correctly yet again.

So in short, I recommend rpcs3 since it is the only emulator that seems to be able to run the games you mentioned correctly. Al though RPCS3 is also very demanding and requires decent CPU.

I’ve been playing the World Cup mode on FIFA 14 console/Ignite version lately and it’s a really great game. I forgot how good it was actually. It made me think, is this the first time a World Cup has come around and we’re going to be still stuck on the same engine as the previous World Cup? Bla.
There's a world cup mode? I thought they just had some ultimate team crap on the PS4 version and the official World Cup game was on PS3 & was basically FIFA 14.

There's a world cup mode? I thought they just had some ultimate team crap on the PS4 version and the official World Cup game was on PS3 & was basically FIFA 14.
Yeah you're right, it's not a proper mode. Just the one stadium with the teams I think. I was just playing some one off games. Such a weird decision to only bring it out on PS3.

Yeah you're right, it's not a proper mode. Just the one stadium with the teams I think. I was just playing some one off games. Such a weird decision to only bring it out on PS3.
It was gutting. As the PS4 version of 14 is absolutely incredible.

I think it's probably because the PS4 was still less than a year on the market and they didn't want to allocate resources to developing a next gen version of a world game that'll only be relevant for the sake of a month when they still had to develop the revamped FIFA 15.

It was gutting. As the PS4 version of 14 is absolutely incredible.

I think it's probably because the PS4 was still less than a year on the market and they didn't want to allocate resources to developing a next gen version of a world game that'll only be relevant for the sake of a month when they still had to develop the revamped FIFA 15.
Was it different from the PC version, do you know?

Was it different from the PC version, do you know?
The PC version was an identical port of the PS3/369 version.

The PS4 version had better animations, inertia & physics, graphical upgrades and a totally reworked broadcast and cutscenes system that became standard from then onwards.

It's the superior version of FIFA 14.

The PC version was an identical port of the PS3/369 version.

The PS4 version had better animations, inertia & physics, graphical upgrades and a totally reworked broadcast and cutscenes system that became standard from then onwards.

It's the superior version of FIFA 14.
Oh of course, now you say that it's come back to me - I remember being shocked by the lighting on PS4, and the arena really stuck as a more organic experience.

EDIT: Jesus, I went digging for my old posts around the time of FIFA 14.

I liked it so much, I even played it ONLINE (what the hell):

I liked FIFA 14 on Xbox One a lot, didn't play PES 14 til it was free with PS Plus and thought it was terrible (interesting AI in certain situations but terrible game).

I played 14 again last night for the first time in a while and was delighted because it would appear that a chunk of the more [spammy] players (i.e. those who don't play football and just hit constant through balls) have begun migrating to 15, so I had a blast! :D

That said, it did highlight the things I miss from 15: the atmosphere, the stadia and (most importantly) the goalkeepers. You see stupid saves in 14 and you know instinctively your shot will be saved as soon as you've kicked it.

Little did I know 16 would be the last FIFA I'd truly love...

Thanks to EA Access etc. I've got FIFA 14, 15 and 16 on the Xbox One, and last night I downloaded all of them and did quick comparisons between them all. As soon as you hit 15, the speed is doubled, every players' legs are "wobbly" and completely unnatural, every team wants to attack, and it persists through to today's game.

I worry it might be a little too easy, but my games on 14 felt like a sweet-spot between FIFA and Pro Evo, with the physics of FIFA but the pace of PES (on -1, which is how I play), and with a little player individuality.

Even the sliders need precious little alteration...

That "sweet spot between the physics of FIFA and the pace/individuality of PES" - here we are almost ten years later and that dream is all but dead and buried.

Then, the last sentence of the above post... I could cry.

What the hell is going on with FIFA now? Rutter turned it into the best FIFA ever made and since then, it's turned into jelly-legged pinball...

Last edited:
As Fifa 14 is one of my 3 favorites from PS3 era, i don't like to make "top", just a pack of my most favourite games
Between FIFA 11 PS360 (different than PC), 14 and 08... I also liked the 13 weirdly, but i played online essentially, but i liked that one after the 12 as they rectified a lot of things like Tactical defending.

Well that's not why i post : does Moddingway still doing "updates" patches with "DLCs" from current version to FIFA 14 ?
I remember having the Moddingway program looking a bit like an Editor/Advanced Kitserver with a GUI. Could've play with original roster, summer or winter transfers original or the same but for the season. It was the 17-18 season i remember.

I checked last year and didn't found one, on their website, i think they stopped. Would like a 21-22 "good" version of a football game, something we don't have, well depending taste but objectively even fans admits it wasn't famous on neither side.

EDIT/ Now i remember there was a FIFA 14 on PS4 too, completely forgot! The reason why i remember about it was because everyone complained about PES 2014 wasn't on PS4.
I will purchase it, if you got link with small prices lol. I really want that version if you said it was better than PC (which i play on) like i said it's my top 3.
Playing it on my PS5 or PS4 Pro (if not compatible)... I won't quit the controller during hours :PRAY:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom