The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

Thanks for mentioning FIFA 14 @Anth James / @Marlon Anthony. Redownloaded it on the Xbox tonight, the then "next-gen" version, and amazingly it still feels next-gen. Physical games, realistic ball flights, semi-passing is hard as nails (I'd forgotten how dumbed-down "semi" passing is now) and satisfying stats/scorelines. Had a real blast with my old player career.

The weight of the players is so satisfying, as are the ball flights of the shots. It's so sad where FIFA is now.

Thanks for mentioning FIFA 14 @Anth James / @Marlon Anthony. Redownloaded it on the Xbox tonight, the then "next-gen" version, and amazingly it still feels next-gen. Physical games, realistic ball flights, semi-passing is hard as nails (I'd forgotten how dumbed-down "semi" passing is now) and satisfying stats/scorelines. Had a real blast with my old player career.
It still looks quite good as well, some nice textures and lighting. The camera adjustments actually work also!

The weight of the players is so satisfying, as are the ball flights of the shots. It's so sad where FIFA is now.
Much like PES 2017, It's also painful because it's the definitive port of the game yet it's locked to PS4/XB1 hardware and it's 1080p limitations while the PC ports of both games are the previous gen ports although they can be modded to heck and have the perks of 4K, 60+fps and various other tweaks.

It's so frustrating the devs didn't have the guts to port next gen versions to PC back then.

Our best hope is PS4/XB1 emulation, which will be years from now.

As i never played it and never even saw that version, i prefers to get the surprise when i will try it on PS4 Pro or PS5 about my FIFA 14 PS4 buy.
Didn't saw vids, didn't checked neither.

It's my last "very good" Fifa, it's "powered by ignite" but i don't like the Ignite feeling, will explain above. FIFA 15 was my most hated FIFA as i never feel scoring so boring and easy same for dribbling, and the 16 was just "okay" to me (sliders or not... And i played online an score more or less the same long shoot goals) but that's another story. Perhaps Ignite was much more "sliders friendly"? I'm pretty sure of it.
Tryied later and if it wasn't weightless and to quick to move, with simulated weight shift as i don't think Ignite handled it well...

It's never been the case in FIFA 08 to 14 who handle physics pretty well for that era, and the 17 first frostbite try didn't got that missing inertia/lightweight very annoying feel, to me Ignite isn't better at all, FIFA 17 handled inertia "naturally". They killed it later.
Choice of producers are the issue when i look back on 2016-17 season. Well, to be honest i prefers the feeling of 17 but not the game itself, i mean i could've switch what's bothered me on FIFA 16 as the game was overally good, but Fifa 17 got bugs ressorting more and more game after game.

Hope FIFA 14 it's only graphical/hypothetically just better graphically and in motion, while the rest is the same as the PC-PS3 version feeling of weight etc.

I'm talking about it like i brought a new game, dating from 10 years ago lol. But to me it's new, a new experience : enhanced one of my top 3 Fifa best-of-all-time... I'm waiting it the same as i waited a new game version (until i don't remember when).

But i care less since a long time, just because i played TOO much football game since 25 years. Never forget that people around the same age as me... EVEN if the game should get better and better, it would still playing a big factor in our opinions.

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question, but read about this last month on Reddit, i tought it was an isolated bug in that reading, but noticed it yesterday in 2020 SWITCH version.

Are the other LEagues results really random and randomized every "next" in-game time you browse via them? I am manager in Motherwell in my CM save, 2020 on Switch, and i check in browse jobs, Spezia was 18th with a record, something like 5-15-20. Then i browse to Serie A, to check if they can avoid relegation , and they are 16 with 6-15-19. Then i check the CL/EL finals and it is something like PSG vs CITY and DORTMUND vs Tottenham. Next season and the UEFA SUPER CUP is BARCELONA vs ARSENAL.... :(

Then i check the team that finished bottom in Bundesliga and they were playing again in Bundesliga. :shiver:

Which means to me, every other league simed in the background, except for the one i am playing, everything is random and on top of that, it is randomized every day it gets past, not even keep tracks of the progress in other leagues.

Is this happening in every FIFA? Cause if yes, it's very bad for me, i know, not gamebreaking maybe its subjective, but not even PES ML, which holds a tone of amataeurism, does such a thing with other leagues.

P.S.: I am talking about the FIFA Career Mode.

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question, but read about this last month on Reddit, i tought it was an isolated bug in that reading, but noticed it yesterday in 2020 SWITCH version.

Are the other LEagues results really random and randomized every "next" in-game time you browse via them? I am manager in Motherwell in my CM save, 2020 on Switch, and i check in browse jobs, Spezia was 18th with a record, something like 5-15-20. Then i browse to Serie A, to check if they can avoid relegation , and they are 16 with 6-15-19. Then i check the CL/EL finals and it is something like PSG vs CITY and DORTMUND vs Tottenham. Next season and the UEFA SUPER CUP is BARCELONA vs ARSENAL.... :(

Then i check the team that finished bottom in Bundesliga and they were playing again in Bundesliga. :shiver:

Which means to me, every other league simed in the background, except for the one i am playing, everything is random and on top of that, it is randomized every day it gets past, not even keep tracks of the progress in other leagues.

Is this happening in every FIFA? Cause if yes, it's very bad for me, i know, not gamebreaking maybe its subjective, but not even PES ML, which holds a tone of amataeurism, does such a thing with other leagues.

I'd love to help to you but I haven't the slightest idea.. I usually don't pay attention to other championships/cups I don't partake.

My guess is it should be a Switch version problem as I've never heard about it on other versions. If nobody else knows for sure I'll try to do some test when I'll have time (hopefully within the weekend) and I'll let you know :THINK:

I think that maybe is the case with Career Mode throughout the PS3 and PS4 era, certainly. I'm pretty sure everything in the background is nigh-on random.

Question guys : i read the other time than FIFA 14 to 16 got some kind of defensive bug. Didn't found where it was posted.
What was that bug again? I think it's a defensive bug (don't remember if it's a bug or a stuff like "catch up")

And does it still makes the game playable without touching to sliders? Or i could for once change them but i don't want the overall feeling gone, as i like the vanilla version of it., or, as i won't play online or VS friends on that version, i'm not against some small sliders changes.

Im on fifa 14 pc right now, installed a fifa 18 pitch mod,played 1 season in career mode, assisted legendary and matt10 sliders, seems to give a nice balance for me , i can win easily some games, but some games i just lose 1-0 or 2-1, but at least i can try to make a comeback, in PES if ur losing a game on ML, it s done and dusted, the rigidity of the handicap that u get, u feel restricted and u can t play the way u want at all, in fifa this never happens, u can always make a comeback given u play better or change formation/ tactics.

Whoever edited the old gen intro for FIFA World Cup 2006, 07, 08 and 09 did a better job than the next gen team.

The camera movements and angles on the old gen intro looks so much better whereas many scenes from new gen intro looked like they were straight up captured from instant replay without much effort.

Same can be noticed for fifa 07 too, the camera angles are so bad on the next gen intro. 08 and 09 were decent but still didn't come close to old gen versions. Not that it matters much but this is something I've noticed. Also probably explains why the cutscenes of next gen fifa 08,09,10 sucked so much compared to ps2/pc versions.

Whoever edited the old gen intro for FIFA World Cup 2006, 07, 08 and 09 did a better job than the next gen team.

The camera movements and angles on the old gen intro looks so much better whereas many scenes from new gen intro looked like they were straight up captured from instant replay without much effort.

Same can be noticed for fifa 07 too, the camera angles are so bad on the next gen intro. 08 and 09 were decent but still didn't come close to old gen versions. Not that it matters much but this is something I've noticed. Also probably explains why the cutscenes of next gen fifa 08,09,10 sucked so much compared to ps2/pc versions.
Yeah the problem with those next gen angles is they're not based on any realistic or logical camera placement that emulates a broadcast style reply, they're these stupid, ground up shots that not only the camera cannot physically be positioned from in a real match but to obnoxiously showcase the stadium panorama and take advantage of the extra processing power.

They used these dumb cameras all the way up to FIFA 14 PS4, when they finally used the realistic broadcast system.

Any, still no luck emulating the 360 exclusive FIFA's I assume?

Yeah the problem with those next gen angles is they're not based on any realistic or logical camera placement that emulates a broadcast style reply, they're these stupid, ground up shots that not only the camera cannot physically be positioned from in a real match but to obnoxiously showcase the stadium panorama and take advantage of the extra processing power.

They used these dumb cameras all the way up to FIFA 14 PS4, when they finally used the realistic broadcast system.

Any, still no luck emulating the 360 exclusive FIFA's I assume?

Nope no luck. Looks like there won't be any progress any time soon.

I wish someone reversed engineered RTWC 06 and World cup 06 already. I honestly love the artstyle of rtwc 06 more than fifa 23, a fully modded rtwc 06 with more teams would have been amazing. It does seem like file master and open and extract the game files of these two particular games.

As for the camera angles, they also look static asf on new gen intro. Look how the camera rotates on the old gen intro, they were specifically tailored to look cinematic. And pacing of the scenes were also faster and in tune with the song. And 0:43 to 0:49 in the old gen intro was so epic, the way it's in sync with the "hey" sound was great.

Fortunately it was just the intro video for wc 06, the actual cutscenes in 360 port were as good as the old gen versions in these two games. It's fifa 07-10 that suffers the most in terms of presentation on x360 and ps3 (wc 10 presentation is great though).

Oh and also this:

FIFA 07:
1667330368825.png

FIFA RTWC 06:
1667330411583.png

Everyone in RTWC 06 looked very similar to their real life counterparts on next gen consoles. But the team that was in charge of fifa 07 and 08 on next gen really fucked up a lot of faces.

Guys I'm having some trouble playing FIFA 09 PC without choppiness/lag.

It's odd because FIFA 11, 14, and 15 run perfectly and it's only in FIFA 09 that I'm getting framedrops while playing. I've tried fiddling with settings with no results. Has anyone encountered this problem or knows how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Really enjoying FIFA 09..

Does anyone here play it and have been able to solve the lagging(choppiness issue with framedrops? I have quite a powerful gaming PC and can't figure out what could be causing it..

Does anyone here play it and have been able to solve the lagging(choppiness issue with framedrops? I have quite a powerful gaming PC and can't figure out what could be causing it..
Wish I could help you mate. Fifa 10 (that should have the same engine/structure) runs like shit as well on my pc. Probably those games (that weren't technically great even at the times) aren't that well optimized for recent windows.

Does the framerate drop or it's more like a stutters despite of a locked 60 [or whatever FPS your getting]? If it's the later, then you can try the following:

Go to the following folder ":\FiFA 10\data\cmn" and open the following ini filles:

cfg_pc_h.ini
cfg_pc_m.ini
cfg_pc_l.ini

Then find the following line, "RENDER_RATE_MODE = " and change the value from 7 to 2.

This will cause the game to be locked at 60 fps but will get rid of the constant stutters. Setting the value to 3 seems to keep the framerate uncapped, but it seems like the game doesn't work well if the framerate is not a multiple or factor of 60. As in you can say, get 75fps, but it seems like the game is just duplicating some frames instead of showing full 75 frames per second.

This render rate trick should work with FIFA 06-10.

Unfortunately, I can't play FIFA 09 on my current PC anymore. I'm cursed with the T pose bug and nothing I tried, fixed the issue for me.

Does the framerate drop or it's more like a stutters despite of a locked 60 [or whatever FPS your getting]? If it's the later, then you can try the following:

Go to the following folder ":\FiFA 10\data\cmn" and open the following ini filles:

cfg_pc_h.ini
cfg_pc_m.ini
cfg_pc_l.ini

Then find the following line, "RENDER_RATE_MODE = " and change the value from 7 to 2.

This will cause the game to be locked at 60 fps but will get rid of the constant stutters. Setting the value to 3 seems to keep the framerate uncapped, but it seems like the game doesn't work well if the framerate is not a multiple or factor of 60. As in you can say, get 75fps, but it seems like the game is just duplicating some frames instead of showing full 75 frames per second.

This render rate trick should work with FIFA 06-10.

Unfortunately, I can't play FIFA 09 on my current PC anymore. I'm cursed with the T pose bug and nothing I tried, fixed the issue for me.
Amazing bro!! This worked! I had set 60 FPS with NVIDIA and it still had some choppiness but after doing these changes, the game's performance has much improved and now it is running smooth as butter (with the very occasional FPS drop to 58 but still largely playable). Thanks a lot!! :TU:

One thing I must say I love about FIFA 09.. I think out of all FIFA games I've played, this one plays the closest to the PES gameplay I'm used to and enjoy!

Also, using the CEP patch, it adds so many world leagues, like Bulgarian, Hong Kong, Georgian, Uruguay, etc, it makes career mode so interesting! Will definitely be playing a lot of this in the future, I don't think I've ever seen this huge number of leagues in a football game! :TU:

CEP Patch Available Here: FIFA KOREA :BSCARF:

FIFA 14 PS4 as became my second "best NG" favourite game. I ain't a big fan of FIFA 16 due to the engine and too light/quick players physics and ball acceleration isn't that great neither. Well if you play on Manual it should be different. O.T. FIFA 16 stop / For now on we can't talk about Next Gen games any more : everything released is dumbed down... So let's say that 2014-2020 era is NG. It's easier even if only graphisms are.

The good old FIFA 14 kept the David Rutter "Action Football" you may found on the best FIFA golden Era : you can play on assisted, semi or manual and the game will still fun to play. There's some small difference with PC-PS360 version, visually and a bit technically and if found the feeling a bit different with the same resolution. Don't know, perhaps playing on Console/TV/PS5 etc. may change some little thing like @slamsoze said

I'm much more on retro-editing for the moment, editing (PS2 versions as i fall again in love with it, then i will attack PES 2021 as it's my number one NG game : need to finish it but i fear not 22-23 season, sorry)

But at least : i got two safe values NG football games aside my PS5 i can switch whenever i want. And that Fifa version is very fresh for me so...
I want to thanks all guys for mentioned it : it was totally out of my memory since.... 7 years lol. And big + : edit mode is more open than current versions if i want to change an error :SMUG:

So i may switch between old school PES and FIFA 14/PES 2021; it's enough for me and i don't care about outdated rosters (but i care that they're up to date for the season, at all cost or i don't "career" it)

I didn't owned any console when it was out, i brought it one year later, and was a bit tired of Fifa as from FIFA 11 to 14, even with changes in gameplay : the overall feeling for me was almost the same. Now it's been 8 years, i don't have it any more.

Edit
@Marlon Anthony (didn't saw your post, i got a good knowledge about Emulation in general)
So, about emulating exclusive Fifa on PC, Xenia works pretty well with FIFA 11 without lag.

I suppose you got a good PC/Better than my 750TI GFX card so it shouldn't be a problem, i don't know if you can unlock the 30 fps through. Perhaps in Xenia emulation options. In my case i was forced to disable many stuff to make it run without too much annoying slodown.

Didn't tried others version through, as during this time i brought a PS3 and got FIFA 08, FIFA 2010 WC and 11, my 3 favourite exclusives versions.
So i don't need it... Perhaps for Burnout Revenge (my favourite version) but it's okay on PS2 with an upscaler, gameplay is the same.

Note: all version from 07 to 2011 are different from PS360 to PC mate. 2011 is like PS360 2010 without lob bugs mixed with WC2010 for example.
But it still a pretty good game even on PC to me, not PS360 level, faster and more goal to goal but good enough, fun, not that easy to take in hands and balanced.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, as it's impossible to put transfers just to avoid to get too low stats for players who made a good season : i own a Fifa edit save.
Will try to apply it, hope it will work.

It's the last one from the 2013-14 season, not the one from August etc. (i checked), here it is if you're interested, on another account to test for example...
Didn't tried yet on my side. Patchs are updated, but you can't DDL rosters in game so if that solution doesn't work whatever.... I take a look to those 2 solution (or offline, or online) and i fall on that save and an explanation / it's not like PES, you have to copy that file in "Storage data" where the "option files" are on.

Even if there's missing players on Vanillla version i think, well, i will deal with it.

PS4 FIFA 14 update

Attachments

• PS4 FIFA 14 update.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
FIFA 2004 : very good game despite the lack of face scans. this FIFA implemented new cinematics that were used for the rest of the PS2 & PC (before FIFA 11) installements.
Snapshot_7.png

Snapshot_8.png

Snapshot_12.png

Snapshot_9.png

Edit
@Marlon Anthony (didn't saw your post, i got a good knowledge about Emulation in general)
So, about emulating exclusive Fifa on PC, Xenia works pretty well with FIFA 11 without lag.

I suppose you got a good PC/Better than my 750TI GFX card so it shouldn't be a problem, i don't know if you can unlock the 30 fps through. Perhaps in Xenia emulation options. In my case i was forced to disable many stuff to make it run without too much annoying slodown.

Didn't tried others version through, as during this time i brought a PS3 and got FIFA 08, FIFA 2010 WC and 11, my 3 favourite exclusives versions.
So i don't need it... Perhaps for Burnout Revenge (my favourite version) but it's okay on PS2 with an upscaler, gameplay is the same.

Note: all version from 07 to 2011 are different from PS360 to PC mate. 2011 is like PS360 2010 without lob bugs mixed with WC2010 for example.
But it still a pretty good game even on PC to me, not PS360 level, faster and more goal to goal but good enough, fun, not that easy to take in hands and balanced.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, as it's impossible to put transfers just to avoid to get too low stats for players who made a good season : i own a Fifa edit save.
Will try to apply it, hope it will work.

It's the last one from the 2013-14 season, not the one from August etc. (i checked), here it is if you're interested, on another account to test for example...
Didn't tried yet on my side. Patchs are updated, but you can't DDL rosters in game so if that solution doesn't work whatever.... I take a look to those 2 solution (or offline, or online) and i fall on that save and an explanation / it's not like PES, you have to copy that file in "Storage data" where the "option files" are on.

Even if there's missing players on Vanillla version i think, well, i will deal with it.

PS4 FIFA 14 update
Hi. Let me ask you a question. Will the emulation slow down for FIFA 07? I thought it was an older version and it's not resource demanding. But you write that it may be sluggish. Now I don't know if I should bother with the emulation... My computer is also old - an i3 processor. What do you think?

Sorry @Ronan1001 i didn't tried the 07, only the 08 and the 11.
Yes there's could be some lags/stutters but nothing really related to animations as we know.

I own a IE5 750TI Nvidia (but more ram than supposed). Ram is more important + your GFX card mate than your processor.
You can have an older PC than mine but more powerful if you make the total of your components.
Just try it cost nothing, and games are not hard at all to found (dlps games, cd romance ;) )

Sorry @Ronan1001 i didn't tried the 07, only the 08 and the 11.
Yes there's could be some lags/stutters but nothing really related to animations as we know.

I own a IE5 750TI Nvidia (but more ram than supposed). Ram is more important + your GFX card mate than your processor.
You can have an older PC than mine but more powerful if you make the total of your components.
Just try it cost nothing, and games are not hard at all to found (dlps games, cd romance ;) )
Thank you, I will try it. As soon as I find the time, I will definitely try it :)

I know some people had issues with it but I’m loving FIFA 18 with the final Operation Sports slider set (ignore the power bar setting, that’s just my own preference for FUMA).

Attachments

• 2A7C999F-348A-42E3-B679-E894D56CC70C.jpeg
    2A7C999F-348A-42E3-B679-E894D56CC70C.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom