The History of PES (Documentary Series)

3 November 2009
England
Liverpool FC
I started making a retrospective/history of PES series beginning with NES to PS4. It's not a review series but rather an overview of the release order of the games and their evolution or areas they improved in. It's not super duper detailed by any means but was a lot of fun putting together and I felt there isn't already a comprehensive retrospective on the series like there are for other game franchises. (It's usually just raw clips spliced together of the games with no context) maybe I should bother to make one.

The PES games have such a fascinating and far from straight forward history, Surely football game fans would relish such a deep dive & I hope you enjoy. 😌

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated too! 👍

History of PES - Episode 1: Up For Winning (NES to PS1)

A retrospective/mini documentary on the history and evolution of Pro Evolution Soccer. In Episode 1, We explore it's humble beginnings on the NES & SNES to it's rise as the greatest football game ever on the PlayStation.

History of PES - Episode 2: Champion of the World (PS2 & GameCube)

In Episode 2, We explore the series' incredible evolution & legacy on the best selling console of all time, The PlayStation 2.

History of PES - Episode 3: Let's Get Crazy (PS3 & Xbox 360)

In Episode 3, We explore the downfall and rejuvenation of PES on the 7th generation of consoles.

History of PES - Episode 4: No Lookin' Back (PS4 & Xbox One)

In Episode 4, We explore the rise of PES on The Fox Engine and it's controversial transition to eFootball on the 8th generation of consoles.

Last edited:
Episode two @6:00 - Sounds familiar :LMAO:

Episode two @15:40 - So that's where they got the idea for duel mode and 1v1s

Last edited:
Episode two @6:00 - Sounds familiar :LMAO:

Episode two @15:40 - So that's where they got the idea for duel mode and 1v1s
Regarding your first point, Back then we expected a lot more from new consoles as it seemed the leap from each one exceeded expectations and there was still a lot to accomplish compared to now where it seems we've pretty much seen everything regarding visuals.

I'm watching part 3 now, looking amazing!
Thanks Waka, Let me know what you think and if anything can be improved for part 4!

Lovely series Marlon ,really enjoyed watching these ,some games I've actually forgotten all about , think I owned PES 2009 for about a week (bough 2nd hand in 2013ish).
Great work ,and truly appreciated!
Though it feels like watching your ex's happy shiny Instagram life now that I hardly play PES.

Really enjoyed watch all those videos so far, just finished watching the third one a couple minutes ago. I found it really interesting to know about games that I didn't play since I went back and forth between PES/WE and FIFA.

After playing PES 6 back then, I really was hopeful of PES' future since I've played PES 5 and 6 non-stop during the last couple years. After noticing that I couldn't run PES 2008 on my PC, I kinda gave up on the series for several years until PES 2013. When I got a PS3 I tried every demo there was of PES and they felt quite tough to play (not in a difficult way) compared to a more polished and "next-gen" FIFA experience.
I really wanted PES 2014 to be a success, I remember reading the EDGE Magazine article and feeling like it was going to be revolutionary. It's a shame that it was released in the state that it was, it would've helped if they waited a year to release a polished and more complete game.

Though it feels like watching your ex's happy shiny Instagram life now that I hardly play PES.
Much like watching photos of when you were together IMO.
Watching her Instagram now would most likely reveal that she's turned into a gold digger who's constantly chasing a richer partner than the one she's currently with.

The games you'll be reviewi- Oh nevermind.

Jokes apart, very well done part 3. Looking forward to part 4!
Yeah I saved the most challenging one until last, This is the point in the series where the changes become incremental, with 2015 being the new base and everything just gets tightened up and polished from there. I've also got the morbid task of researching myClub which passed me the fuck by over the last 7 years.
Lovely series Marlon ,really enjoyed watching these ,some games I've actually forgotten all about , think I owned PES 2009 for about a week (bough 2nd hand in 2013ish).
Great work ,and truly appreciated!
Well I'm glad I instilled a slight sentiment of longing. These weren't just great games, They were great memories and time capsules for younger and simpler times in our lives. When you play these, sometimes we are trust back into our younger bodies on the bedroom floor infront of our tiny TV's fighting with our friends and our brothers over the controllers.
Really enjoyed watch all those videos so far, just finished watching the third one a couple minutes ago. I found it really interesting to know about games that I didn't play since I went back and forth between PES/WE and FIFA.

After playing PES 6 back then, I really was hopeful of PES' future since I've played PES 5 and 6 non-stop during the last couple years. After noticing that I couldn't run PES 2008 on my PC, I kinda gave up on the series for several years until PES 2013. When I got a PS3 I tried every demo there was of PES and they felt quite tough to play (not in a difficult way) compared to a more polished and "next-gen" FIFA experience.
I really wanted PES 2014 to be a success, I remember reading the EDGE Magazine article and feeling like it was going to be revolutionary. It's a shame that it was released in the state that it was, it would've helped if they waited a year to release a polished and more complete game.
Yeah I remember being deathly excited about 2014 and it seemed like a football game powered by KojiPro's top secret new state of the art engine felt like it was going to be the pioneer of football games. It seemed like a dream come true and once again, poor decision making and execution led to it being a flop on the crucial first impression.

Well I'm glad I instilled a slight sentiment of longing. These weren't just great games, They were great memories and time capsules for younger and simpler times in our lives. When you play these, sometimes we are trust back into our younger bodies on the bedroom floor infront of our tiny TV's fighting with our friends and our brothers over the controllers.
God yes!

These weren't just great games, They were great memories and time capsules for younger and simpler times in our lives.
Oh this is soooo true. Well, the release of PES5 came in one of the most difficult periods of my life to be honest (my father had long passed away already by then, and my mother looked like she also was about to. Luckily she survived and she's probably healthier than me now) and that game offered me hours and hours of diversion to avoid thinking at the situation.
Looking back at it now feels like watching photographs and short clips of a friend that you used to hang out with everyday but that you just don't see anymore. It's just picking up the phone, calling him and saying "hey, what's up?" knowing that he's still there but that he lives far away and can't come visit you anymore.

Last edited:
After all we , the oldsql players are kinda lucky to be part of all this great football games, just imagine the kids now.. will never expiries anything like that...

Last edited:
Hey everybody, I have finally completed my fourth & final episode of History of PES, Added to the first post.

It took me a little longer as I thought I'd wait for eFootball to drop so I could add it and bring the retrospective full circle.

Please let me know what you think about the most recent era of PES's legacy, and what you thought was the highest and lowest points this generation!

Oh yes oh yes oh yes!!!! 🤩🤩🤩
Can't watch it straight away unfortunately, but it will surely be one of my next things to do.

Back
Top Bottom