The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

millossobek

The 3-Stars Cup
19 December 2020
South America
Millonarios FC
Hi guys!

With so many threads focused mainly on modern games, I wanted to have a space for us 90's kids who grew up loving 8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit, or anyone who is interested in retro games from this generation, to share games, screenshots, experiences, etc!

So many hours playing Contra, Donkey Kong Country, Mario, Ninja Gaiden, so many awesome games that defined our youth and still stand the test of time!

The only rule is: Let's stay within the realms of 8 bit,16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit! Thousands of great games.

I will start by remembering one of the most fun, toughest games in video game history.. Super Ghouls and Ghosts!

You guys remember this game? Man, this was tough...... and fun! Two touches and you were outta there. Infinite enemies coming from all directions, I could never beat this game, even on the easiest difficulty (which was damn hard!) Plus, great atmosphere and insane fun factor, varied and funny enemies, simple yet absurdly challenging gameplay, this is one of my favorite games of all time! :TU:

Super-Ghoulsn-Ghosts-SNES.jpgsgg.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another classic I played quite a bit!

SNES' Knights of the Round! Think of Final Fight, but medieval style. A fun, basic hack n'slash beat em up! You had your classic fast but weak character (Lancelot), the strong but slow guy (Percival), and your all rounder (Arthur). It had all the classic elements, big burly bosses, food powerups along the way, a variety of generic enemies haha.. One nice touch was a level-up system based on points in which your armor and stats got upgraded as you went through the levels.

Knights-of-the-Round-Snes.jpg1635103803383.png

Last edited:
Moving on to 8-bit, here's an awesome game called Karnov, for the NES! This was perhaps the first videogame I ever played in my life, I remember being so excited as a kid playing as the bald-headed, spit-firing Russian. One of the coolest aspects of this game was the item system, you had up to 11 items that enabled you to fly, jump high, increase your speed, create ladders, and other cool goodies! That, coupled with the fact that the stages were surreally awesome, with sphinxes, dinosaurs, and other mythological enemies, made this game really really fun.

karnov.jpgkarnov2.jpg

And of course, this thread couldn't have really started until we included a football game, right? I bet some of you guys remember the Hat-Trick Hero saga for the SNES! I'm not sure if this game was released in the States or in Europe, but I remember that a good friend had the Japanese version. Man, this game was so fun, might not have been as polished as ISS or ISS deluxe but it had some nice features such as the super kick for the captain, Super Cups, exhibition and Taito League, this was guaranteed hours of fun! ⚽ :TU:

1635188884457.pngHat-trick-hero-2-sfc.png

Last edited:
Continuing on with the sports theme, who doesn't remember NBA Jam, for the SNES? Talk about fun! Who cared about realism! Absurd jumps, Slam Dunks that defied gravity, insane fire ball half court shots.. What I loved most about this game, though, was that the REAL rosters at the time were represented (with the exception of Jordan, who wasn't included in the original game). I used to LOVE playing with Pippen and Horace Grant, or if I felt like going against the grain, I'd go with Patrick Ewing and John Starks. I grew up loving the NBA as well, and this was basketball heaven haha.. BOOMSHAKALAKA! :LOL:

NBA-Jam-EU-SNES.jpgimages.jpg

As i was a big fan of GNG games, i tried some years ago one i missed : Demon's Crest. There's also Gargoyel's Quest 1 on GameBoy and 2 on Snes but those are more like an adventure RPG games)
That one is much more like a GNG.
It's a fantastic game, i even prefers it than for example Super GNG. Challenging, some RPG elements etc.
If you never played it, you will love Firebrand quest ;)

1635189329615.png

Well to be honest i'm a big fan of retrogaming so if i made a list... It will takes 50 pages :JAY:
And i'm also on emulation since 2003 tried practically every games in Snes, Megadrive, Nes.
But also PC Engine

It didn't get old. There's some slowdown like Super GNG (who also got a fix on Romhacking) but some Emulator or patch may fix it easy. It's hard than Super GNG (to me the easiest of the 3, Ghost'n'Goblins the harder but on Arcade especially : it's far easier on NES) and also graphism are better.
(I love Super GNG too btw, but that one is unique)

Daemon's Crest was so cool! If you hadn't posted it, I would've DEFINITELY posted this game in a few days. I loved the different powers, and the different types of gargoyles you could be. Awesome soundtrack and great environment as well.... I think the main character, Firebrand, is the villain in Ghouls and Ghosts. I find this incredibly cool. haha.. If I remember correctly, you had crests of earth, wind, fire, water, and time, and Firebrand would change according to the crest. What an awesome game. :TU:

Yes, all of that is right
In fact he's the same race of the Gargoyle on Ghost'n'Goblins first stage (a pretty hard to touch, not even a boss) but it's not him. Inspired by.

Now a bit of 8 bit (EDIT/ even if PC Engine is like a 12 bits console lol, like the Neo Geo got a 32 bit chip mixed with a 16 bits, it was called a "24 bits console" don't remember the details)
Also, one game as i talked about PC Engine, which as NOTHING to envy to Super Mario Bros 3 (for example) and it's even better to me it's Bonk's Adventure

1635190376300.png

But don't play it on NES, it's the mascott of PC Engine, and there's very impressive stuffs in technical terms from that time. Tons of animations, and also very big sprites for Boss / Also you can transform Bonk's in a giant.
Every stage is pretty different, graphically and in gameplay. One of my favorite classic Plateformer (because at the time where every game where 2D, take for example i don't know, Actraiser or Rocket Knight Adventure : they're considered as Action-Plateform)

And one of my top 5 Master System game regarding the dark ambiance, boss, OST, overall design, Kenseiden
No word to describe that game. Master System got some super good games but that one is particular to me.

1635190936529.png

Earthworm Jim was a really interesting game, very original. I don't think I've seen a game like this since!

A charismatic character, groovy and funky worlds, one of the most original heros ever with unique powers, just tons and tons of fun! Beautiful graphics too!

Earthworm Jim (U).png

I will definitely check out Bonk's adventure @vialli82 I've never heard of this game, actually maybe I saw some screenshots browsing through NES roms but never tried it, now that you mentioned it, I'll make sure I try the PC version looks really fun. :TU:

Oh and bro, Kenseiden looks really cool. I love the Samurai or Asian warriors theme. What other games of this style can you recommend for NES or SNES?

Earthworm Jim was the most impressive and beautiful game in terms of animation yes.
But that game didn't scotched me like some did... Weirdly i started to like it while i played the 2. Then i came back to the first / the game was already good enough and various, not too much changes only some stages styles.

But one thing particular about that game : the first was made for Genesis and ported to others console, and Snes was the basis for the E.J. 2 : there's a comparison between version (one on PSX) it's the best of the 3. Aswell as the Genesis is superior in everything vs Snes version.

PSX is a port and miss stuffs due to the lack of memory for animations, like many games ported from Neo Geo for example to PSX.

What other games of this style can you recommend for NES or SNES?
Hmmm that one is pretty unique, i need to check all my catalog lol.
Ninja Gaiden the trilogy but it's not as dark as that game. Perhaps better gameplay i must admit, i finished the 3 some years ago : it's a must have to play.
There's a trilogy pack on Megadrive or Snes i don't remember.

BTW, i'm more MS than NES. The catalog is super big and i rarely play NES game exect that one for exemple.
Or also Contra or Double Dragon 2 (totally different than the one on arcade and better)
Ah, talking about Beat-Them-all and Snes, the best BTA with RPG element on it on NES, perhaps even on the to 5 of all NES game : River City Ransom.

MediocreWickedAmbushbug-max-1mb.gif

There's a version patch from Japan to English, i don't remember what are the changes. There's tons of dialog during the fights.
The character is Kunio-Kun : he will appears in tons of NES game like WORLD CUP, everybody knows that game i suppose > the football game where you can only play with one player and the other button served to "teammates". I liked it on gameboy but well, i'll pass.

Never have been a big 8-16 bits fan of football game : i played it a bit then i stoppe. Except the first Fifa, European club soccer (just for the fact you could play with Milan, Manchester etc. but the game was shit) Super Soccer Champ/Hat Trick Hero (same game in fact) but only ISS and ISS Deluxe was the 2 who rivalred with big arcade games like Super Sidekicks.... But in even better.
The only i've buyed. Ah yes i liked Super Soccer on Snes too, but more for the Mode 7. But i prefered a thousand time that one:

9562202e9c622d76916da4234f100bd7.gif

Super Tennis, outstanding game. The best tennis game from the time with Final Set Tennis (unrivalled for the connoisseurs : they said it's the best tennis game ever made) on PC Engine... But that one is super hard. It's harder that Fifa on Manual, you need a lot of practice.
For Super Tennis too, but a level above.

I will definitely check out Bonk's adventure @vialli82 I've never heard of this game, actually maybe I saw some screenshots browsing through NES roms but never tried it, now that you mentioned it, I'll make sure I try the PC version looks really fun.
His best/most used move is... Heabutts haha, even jumping and giving a headbutt on the ground lol.

Oh, man I love River City Ransom. I remember when I got the ROM, I beat the game in one weekend haha I remember going to all the town's libraries and reading all the books to get the super powers. Yes, I agree it is one of the top 5 NES games ever.

Have you played the SNES sequel, Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun? It's pretty much the same idea as River City Ransom, but instead of acquring powers in libraries and towns, you acquire experience by fighting and distribute points.. Give it a shot, there are translations online! :TU:

maxresdefault.jpgshodai-2_2243.png

Oh, man I love River City Ransom. I remember when I got the ROM, I beat the game in one weekend haha I remember going to all the town's libraries and reading all the books to get the super powers. Yes, I agree it is one of the top 5 NES games ever.

Have you played the SNES sequel, Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun? It's pretty much the same idea as River City Ransom, but instead of acquring powers in libraries and towns, you acquire experience by fighting and distribute points.. Give it a shot, there are translations online! :TU:

View attachment 128875View attachment 128876
I've been meaning to try this one after finding out River City Girls is heavily inspired by this!

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu was another one of those childhood classics for me. One of my favorite platformers on NES, this game had tons of cool bosses, worlds, extra stages, and powers. The different types of roundhouses were very cool, as well as the charge-up projectile attacks. Plus, I think the game had great graphics for Nintendo, with large animated sprites and very colorful worlds.

Jackie-Chans-Action-Kung-Fu-USA-74.png1635230849773.png

The Legend of Kage (NES) was proof that a very simple and early game could work wonders. Armed with shurikens and a short sword (Kodachi), the game's hero goes though forests, walls and castles in order to save a maiden. The actual speed of the game is very intense, and a lot of fun, but what really impressed me about this game was not only the fun factor, but the atmosphere and music. It feels very authentic.

220px-Kageflyer.jpgmaxresdefault (1).jpg

And of course, this thread couldn't have really started until we included a football game, right? I bet some of you guys remember the Hat-Trick Hero saga for the SNES! I'm not sure if this game was released in the States or in Europe, but I remember that a good friend had the Japanese version. Man, this game was so fun, might not have been as polished as ISS or ISS deluxe but it had some nice features such as the super kick for the captain, Super Cups, exhibition and Taito League, this was guaranteed hours of fun! ⚽ :TU:

View attachment 128847View attachment 128848
I remember I had super soccer champ, think it was the European version of this game

I remember I had super soccer champ, think it was the European version of this game
Yeah that's right, I think Super Soccer Champ 2 was planned as a port to Hat Trick Hero 2 but was never released.. But I think there should be translations to hat trick hero 2 online. I will look for them and post it here if I can find it.

There was something that I thought was very smooth about Hat Trick Hero 2, as u can see in the gameplay above.. Very fluid animations for its time. think one of the negative points though is the crowd noise, it was a bit annoying haha..

I remember playing Zillion on the Sega master system with a friend :

You had to go through all these rooms, kill things, get access cards, go the the next room.
We had been playing this maze of rooms all day.
Finally we reached the last one, and had to place a bomb.
Time started ticking and we had to get out......only we did not know the way (as there were soooo many rooms) so the bomb exploded with us inside :D.

Had to do it all over again the next day, only this time we started drawing all the rooms on A4 paper, stapled them together to get a massive map.
After that it was me placing the bomb and doing the running and jumping, and my mate saying up, left, left, right, up.
In the end we managed to get out alive.

Great times.
No way to save the game so had to do it all in one go.

To me the greatest "godsend" of all these emulators (I use Mesen, btw) is the rewind function (button). I mean, as you get older like me, you realize that every time you die in a game, and have to go back and re-do a whole lot of stuff you already did, and then reach the point (boss fight, or whatever) you did before, only to build tension / anxiety that if you f*** up a second time, you'll have to do it ALL over again... Seriously, it's just waste of life expectancy, TBH. A person already wastes a lot of time sleeping / driving / isolating (on a pandemic). No person in this world should waste their lives "retrying" stuff on games. Dang, I wish every single game had a rewind button. I've been currently playing Metroid Prime on a Nintendo Switch emulator (since it's pretty new hardware, the emulator obviously lacks the rewind function) and it's been irritating the living crap out of me... I have rage-quitted the game several times, and refrained from throwing the gamepad on my TV screen several others.

So here goes the SNES classics that I was hooked as a kid, but their modern iterations irritate the hell out of me, as a grumpy adult:

I think Super Castlevania IV and Super Metroid easily enter into the top 10 SNES games of all time! One of the things I love about those two games is the ambiance, the environment. Both games are capable of creating a lot of moddy environs with the music, the lighting, and the overall gameplay. This, along with the fact that they are very fun to play (fun factor after all being the most important thing in games), make these titles absolute classics!

I still haven't finished Super Metroid, btw. I'll have to get to it sometime soon. :LOL:

I still haven't finished Super Metroid, btw. I'll have to get to it sometime soon. :LOL:

No idea if you own a Nintendo Switch (I don't... although you don't need one, just a Switch emulator), you should try this new Metroid Dread, if you don't get easily irritated, that is. It's one of those rare games that irritate you, but at the same time, you can't stop playing.

I think I'll stick to the SNES version first since I haven't beaten the SNES version yet,, maybe then I'll move onto the Switch version. :LOL:

Plus there are plenty of modded ROMS for Super Metroid, they also look pretty cool.

Yeah it was a problem for some games, Street Fighter II' saved the megadrive with their 6 buttons pad
The 6 buttons was in fact, who was better to play for that game in particular, but also Mortal Kombat....
Well in reality the pad was designed for SFII. The Hado and Shoryuken with the L1 on Snes was particularly not really cumfortable.

The 1st Mortal Kombat as i played it in arcade before, was only good to play for the graphical and first "really well" digitalised players, when you compared it to Pit Fighter on Arcade too.

Mortal Kombat II was a classic to me on Snes, i played it in too in arcade (well, i gotted many place to play arcade games very close to my home), i gotted the booklet and all, perhaps the 2 games i played the more on Snes. For us, it was practically "arcade perfect" aswell as SFII, in comparison to MANY others games.
My favorites growing up on the SNES was Contra III, Final Fight, Streets of Rage 2 and Super PunchOut. Beat-em-ups were my favorite growing up.
The best of all Contra is on Megadrive : Contra : Hard Corps, there's a version called Probotector and there was 2 different characters.
That game was super impressive for a megadrive, looking totally like an Arcade game! There's was different path and 6 or 8 differents ending.
I replayed it some years ago, it's super hard like a real arcade game : as there's tons of games to play i use some cheats to finish some of them : use Extra Lives (easier) or Extra continues (far easier). The vids shows the two characters i didn't played with (the little robot and the wolf were my favourite)

Also @crustcyb before the "rewind" version, there was "save states" : you save excatly at the point you where been. If you play on a Raspberry for example, just for you to know : Rewind option is slowing down emulation, as it record practically all the game you where playin. That's the only reason i remove it, otherwhise i would have used it instead of Save state.

Otherwhise, some sega only games to continue on the theme / not especially exclusive but for example completely different than others versions :

Master System : Psycho Fox

Psycho_Fox_(SMS)_10.gif

Spellcaster, MS
An Action/Plateform/Rpg, fun and interesting

Kid Chameleon Plateform/action (practically 10 transformations, early games but upper fun)
When you play that game, you told yourself that some Indie couldn't reach that level of "identity" in a game.
All was inspired by those type of game :

And for the finale, the most fun arcade game that scotched me, i put tons of pieces on it (and there's still tournament on Esport) and the one i was the most disappointed there wasn't a conversion on Snes/Megadrive (totally doable)
Windjammers, Neo Geo (sports/fun)... And one surprise above for the fans : Windjammers 2 who was normally a Switch exclusive on 2018 will come back on EVERY ports very soon (2021 planned so), Day one buy :LOVE::LOVE:

FearfulSorrowfulBlackrussianterrier-size_restricted.gif

Winjdammers 2 Coming soon (Listed late 2021) / Steam version (All ports from Switch to PS to Xbox)
1635412188148.png

There was a beta on Steam called like a "Demo" don"t know if it's still playable

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom