The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Released two obscure PS1 football game videos recently.

Jikkyou Survival League has the most beautiful stadium in PS1 football games

J-League Soccer - Jikkyou Survival League is an obscure football game based on Japanese Leagues made by Tecmo in 1999 for PS1. It only released in Japan. Tecmo has legendary retro football games, one of them was Tecmo World Cup '98, just before this game. Jikkyou Survival League has similar animations with Tecmo World Cup '98. Shoulder Barge, Sliding Tackle and GK Save animations are really similar. However gameplay is mostly similar to later Tecmo World Cup Millennium (2000) arcade game.

Jikkyou Survival League only has 3 camera modes, far-mid-close. Even the far camera is not far enough. Game has clear, rainy and snowy weather, rainy and snowy weathers are impressive for a PS1 football game. Gameplay is fast but actions are delayed. I didn't really enjoyed the game but it felt like a surprise.

Game Description:
The J. League Division 1 is the top division of Japan Professional Football League and is the top professional association football league in Japan. It is one of the most successful leagues in Asian club football and the only league given top class 'A' ranking by the AFC. Currently, J. League Division 1 is the first level of the Japanese association football league system. The second tier is represented by J. League Division 2.

J-League Soccer - Jikkyou Survival League is a soccer game endorsed by the J.League and the game features different weather effects, stadiums, night and day time, J.League teams and these game modes: - Friendly: Featuring 1 player vs computer, 1 player vs another human player and computer vs computer. - J.League: Choose a team and try to win the J.League - Tournament: Choose a team and try to win the tournament. - Practice mode: Choose a team and practice all the game movements.

Manufacturer's description:
The use of motion capture, provides a dynamic player movement in real! Fun is endless tactical football by a combination of a variety of tactics also substantial tactical, and "command" Supervision of 12 types. Equipped with a "rating system" player features the industry's first scoring play of each player during the game, berth to the "all-star game" is the key and this number is. In making detailed and exhilaration during the game, football is a game that fans are encouraged confidently to other users of course.

0:00 - 2:31 Mid Camera, Clear Weather
2:31 - 2:58 Close Camera, Rainy Weather
2:58 - 3:30 Far Camera, Rainy Weather
3:30 - 5:01 Far Camera, Snowy Weather
5:01 - 7:24 Such a beautiful stadium
7:24 - 8:37 CRT Shader

Viva Football tried to be a history book of World Cups, a boring one

Viva Football (known as Viva Soccer in North America, 20 Reiki Striker Retsuden in Japan and Absolute Football in France) is a football game released for the PS1 and PC in 1998, Dreamcast version is cancelled. It was developed by Crimson Studio and published by Virgin Interactive. I played PS1 version on PC with DuckStation emulator.

First of all, it's a great concept to have World Cup history as a game. It's really impressive that game covers 11 World Cups, 1958 to 1998. Including qualifiers! That means a total of 1035 teams and over 16,000 real life players. However I see that they have wrong kit numbers like Maradona wears 8 for some reason I can't understand.

As for what it matters, gameplay sucks. Game runs like a slideshow at constant 20 FPS and gets worse in replays. Controls are so bad, it's painful to play.

0:00 - 0:44 Sepia 1958
0:44 - 1:01 Black&White 1962
1:01 - 1:27 Color television 1966
1:27 - 2:41 CRT Shader

I present you to "Knuckleball shots in PS1 football games" like wtf. Not once but twice. In Jikkyou video watch from 1:12. I was like "WTF, did he just shot a knuckleball in a PS1 game???". It has two replays and it looks like a knuckleball to me. In Viva Football video watch from 2:16. It may be deflected from the wall, I'm not sure on that one :THINK:

That's a cool post! I'm not really familiar with PS1 football games, since I played FIFA 98 RTWC in N64, and then played FIFA Football 2000 in PC, before making the jump to FIFA Football 2003 in PS2 (which is still one of my favorites!) I particularly like Jikkyou Survival League, as I am a big J-League fan, and actually the stadium does look very impressive! Looks like the PS1 has some nice football titles, there seems to be so many J-League based games from this era and even beforehand! Here's an example! J-League Soccer V-Shoot Arcade! :TU:

Last edited:
I've made some level let's say 2 years ago and yes, it's a super game, like every Megadrive exclusive at the end of the console (Shinobi III, Street of Rage III, Vectorman I and II, Comix Zone etc.)
As the architecture was super well know by the devs, they could do anything they wanted with that console. For the sound too but harder to manage.

Instead of the Mega CD with their loading time too long (and no colors palette in more : just more ram to accept more colors by elements), they may have done a "boost" plateform a bit like 32X to put above the console with more colors and better sound for a cheap price, sold with a 6 buttons pad. Even if i love the old school Arcade "instruments" of the Megadrive sound, time passed and music from Arcade ports was harder and harder to make it Arcade Perfect. But it was pretty well done but very different from the original, so if you forgot the real game sound, you can imagine it as an "alternative" version of the music and sound effects, no joke.

And a separate version. And games could adapt to plateform or add-on : different music and more colors. I don't know if it was doable i mean for decreasing the sound and the colors numbers without having to make "2 games" in one cartdrige. That would have been the best alternative for making games closer to arcade, cheaper than a Neo Geo but closer in terms of quality and less "only arcade games" oriented.
Even games too long like Chakan or others with saves, not especially RPG, were absent.

That's what i reproch to the Neo Geo, not in terms of Arcade cabinet but console talking. I was a big fan of all their fighting games and the manga badass style but...
No adventure games or more advanced setting in some others stuff, it's very reduced in terms of variety in comparison to others 16 bits consoles.
There's only one game exclusive on it : Samurai Shodown RPG (i ain't sure but i think it's exclusive to Neo Geo CD...)

Just to say that if you got a Neo Geo called the "Rolls of Console", you have to got another one with it, Mega or Snes. Plus There's no Capcom games has they were kinda "rivals" with the CPS1 and CPS2 arcade machine for all Capcom games.

My 2 cents about the Megadrive add-on who could have been better (even with CD BUT stuffs to complete what's missing from the megadrive like Colors and one or two special effects) and the Neo Geo, console version issues without even talking to the price of one cartdrige.

Last edited:
I shared two Tecmo football games before. Tecmo World Cup 98 and Jikkyou Survival League. Here's a third one, Super Shot Soccer. It has the same fun premise of TWC 98, it has superpowers. However TWC 98 was great and Super Shot Soccer sucks :TD: I just released a video showcasing the game. Beware doe, it looks and sounds better than it plays.

Super Shot Soccer developed and published by Tecmo for PS1. Released in 2002, very late for a PS1 game. Known in Japan as Bakuretsu Soccer, Tecmo's second and last soccer game released for the PlayStation after Jikkyō Survival League.

Even though game has fun premise with superpowers, it was boring as hell. It's so fun in theory but extremely boring at execution. Tecmo made Tecmo World Cup '98, which is a great arcade football game with super powers. Super Shot Soccer borrows many concepts from Tecmo World Cup '98. Tecmo World Cup '98 had fluidity, Super Shot Soccer does not have that. It's slow, it's weird. Some of the superpowers were so bizarre I didn't wanted to include in my video.

Some bit of other Pc-nostalgia post. Sorry for the length, hope it will be readable enough.

Don't know how popular those videogames magazines with cd roms filled with demo attached were in other countries.. here in Italy, in the golden era of pc/consoles magazines, many came with those. There was some real magic in trying all those titles knowing that in the end you would have only played a small number of them (or maybe none at all).

Leaving aside the more popular ones (for example, played the hell out of the World Cup 98 one, with that only England-Brazil friendly.. was so incredible compared with Fifa 98!), I remember one that captured my attention at the times.. a game called Incubation. It was a 3d strategic turn game with a sci-fi setting vaguely in the vein of Aliens, Spaceship Troopers, WH40K etc.. aka space men vs xenos, a background I already was crazy for. It also was part of a turn strategy saga called Battle Isle, but all the other games (at least the previous ones) were quite different compared with this (like 2d isometric).

It felt so great, innovative and different to me that you could command all men, but also put yourself in first person with each one. It wasn't clearly an FPS in any way, but to me that brief level or two (can't remember how many came with the limited version) felt like a fusion between genres. Could have been my limited game knowledge; anyway, that demo completely blew my mind.

I remember Christmas came, a good few months passed from that demo and I asked it as a gift to my mom.. but all the videogames stores she tried not only noone seemed to have it, but they didn't even knew the game at all. To this day I'm still not sure they even released it in Italy.

Anyway, fast forward to a few weeks ago.. I had to try the E-Commerce on my card, after the company erroneously blocked it.. so, my idea was to do a quick, micro vg purchase, but for some reason I wanted to avoid Steam.

So I went on GOG instead and suddenly remember this game.. I thought, why the hell not if it's avalaible? And, of course, it turned out it was there, togheter with the rest of the saga, on sale for something less than 3 dollars. Had to buy it.

Played it a bit.. unfortunately couldn't record anything, it's generally stable but forcing modern things means to expect a crash around every corner. I also can't seem to play it in a decent resolution cause when I try the 3dfx mode, it also crashes.

Anyway, the game is nice if you think it came out like almost 25 years ago. It feels like a rudimental version of the modern X-Coms or something.. the action, well I described it above, there really isn't much more to say compared with the demo; for the rest your soldiers acquire experience that you spend on weapons and equipment and so on in between missions. I probably would have loved it back then, but felt nice to try it now nonetheless. A gameplay video to give you an idea:

p.s. GOG is really a gold mine. I bought for a few more bucks many other old games that, while abandonware (so easily available for free), feels really nice to "officially" have, like the Gabriel Knight whole saga, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, the three old Dooms (ultimate, Final and 2), Indy and the Fate of Atlantis and others. Plus you can download it all offline.. in the era of eVerYthinG dIgiTaL1!!1! it's a great plus.

@Madmac79 I like PC isometric games, incubation looks pretty cool, with a nice atmosphere! One of the ones I remember quite fondly from my childhood is SYNDICATE! (Also isometric). This game is absolutely badass. The premise is pretty simple: In a dystopic future (which quite reminds me of Blade Runner!), corporations have taken over countries. You send cybernetically enhanced agents to take over territories and perform action-based missions, and control more territory in hopes of controlling the world. As you control more territory, you enhance your agents further and can buy them new equipment, sensors, weapons, armor, etc.. If you guys have't tried this one, it's an absolute classic!

Last edited:
Some bit of other Pc-nostalgia post. Sorry for the length, hope it will be readable enough.

Don't hesitate bro! I love to discover oldies PC games. The more variety of Retro games we got here the best it is.
There's probably a tons of game i/you posted i never played or never see it in movement (for that it's very very rare).
But PC is both.

BTW, 2 PSX games that looks like PC ports:

Overblood / Looks like a Resident Evil but not horror, instead you got a very good scenario and very heartbreaking sequences. The game was short, easy, but cool at the time.
On full 3D, just to notice. Well, graphisms tooks a punch in the face but that's not why you play Overblood lol.

I discovered there's an Overblood 2. But i retried the first... I was used with the command and the type of play that era, but i got hard as f*** right now lol, like Resident Evil 1 PSX.

In the same theme, with a memory lost, but more like a Thriller "In Cold Blood" was a superb game, that i never ended. It's a pretty hard as it's much more like a game like Broken Sword (mixed with action, R.E. type). It's a super underrated game.

I post those two as i think they're looking a lot of PC games, don't know about the first but sure about the second. Before or after or in the same time (like MGS1), no idea

@Madmac79 I like PC isometric games, incubation looks pretty cool, with a nice atmosphere! One of the ones I remember quite fondly from my childhood is SYNDICATE! (Also isometric). This game is absolutely badass. The premise is pretty simple: In a dystopic future (which quite reminds me of Blade Runner!), corporations have taken over countries. You send cybernetically enhanced agents to take over territories and perform action-based missions, and control more territory in hopes of controlling the world. As you control more territory, you enhance your agents further and can buy them new equipment, sensors, weapons, armor, etc.. If you guys have't tried this one, it's an absolute classic!

Man , loved this when I was younger. I still have it and it's on Origin. Loved blowing up the entire map as well as sniping from far away quietly. I thing there was also a flamethrower which would unleash hell in the streets

In the same theme, with a memory lost, but more like a Thriller "In Cold Blood" was a superb game, that i never ended. It's a pretty hard as it's much more like a game like Broken Sword (mixed with action, R.E. type). It's a super underrated game.

I post those two as i think they're looking a lot of PC games, don't know about the first but sure about the second. Before or after or in the same time (like MGS1), no idea

And I loved this one back in the day! Played it on my old PSX (aka Ps1) and had an absolute blast... Thanks for the memories :)

Underrated game. Not really, but not as much put to the front stage like some others not super exceptional games where.
It's smart, dialogs and graphisms where good, and the scenario was very interesting and surprising. Gameplay well, it was as hard as replaying R.E.1 on PS1, commands where similar to advance (they should give the option to use the "dual analog" for control on many games. They did a Dual Analog version for Resident Evil if i remember well... Or it's a hack, not sure/or on the director cut etc.)

So less players really knows the game, thinkin it's "again, a resident evil copy", but not really.

On current review, the game got high critical success, often ranked quite high.

Last edited:
I shared two Tecmo football games before. Tecmo World Cup 98 and Jikkyou Survival League. Here's a third one, Super Shot Soccer. It has the same fun premise of TWC 98, it has superpowers. However TWC 98 was great and Super Shot Soccer sucks :TD: I just released a video showcasing the game. Beware doe, it looks and sounds better than it plays.

Super Shot Soccer developed and published by Tecmo for PS1. Released in 2002, very late for a PS1 game. Known in Japan as Bakuretsu Soccer, Tecmo's second and last soccer game released for the PlayStation after Jikkyō Survival League.

Even though game has fun premise with superpowers, it was boring as hell. It's so fun in theory but extremely boring at execution. Tecmo made Tecmo World Cup '98, which is a great arcade football game with super powers. Super Shot Soccer borrows many concepts from Tecmo World Cup '98. Tecmo World Cup '98 had fluidity, Super Shot Soccer does not have that. It's slow, it's weird. Some of the superpowers were so bizarre I didn't wanted to include in my video.
Booo... Super Shot Soccer is the 🐐 !

If you play it as single player, Im sorry to say this but it's your big mistake. The game is meant to be played as co-op offline with friends. I spent countless of hours with friends back in the day. The popular of this game was HUGE... it's like pop culture among us who grew up in early 2000. Game popularity also helps with movie Shaolin Soccer in early 2001 & World Cup 2022, Roberto Carlos in Brazillian Squad.

Super Shot Soccer wasn't meant to be full simulation anyway,

On PS1? Or you're talking on PC? Because co-op online 11v11 etc. was more a "Cyber-cafe" thing, with all PC linked togheter and sometimes a server. Not everyone could afford a PC running Unreal Tournament etc. and everyone played FPS (Counter Strike especially and the first Unreal).

Talking about the first Unreal Tournament, i discovered it at a friend house who owned a PC for gamingthey were very rare around me, like 1 on 20.
We weren't really gamers but more often out everywhere at any hours, going on night club or stuff like that. That doesn't mean we didn't owned a console.

I sold quickly my PS1 but buy the Dreamcast directly when it was out.
No need that much a PS1 as a played hours in every friends house through, where i discovered ISS PRO 98 then ISS Pro Evo 1 then 2...

On my side i remember that the sellers when i took a dreamcast advised me to take Sega Worlwide Soccer (don't remember if it was the "2000" version but i think) instead of Virtua Striker 2 because it was "less arcade".
I liked VS2 of course and i would have brought it but the game wasn't in the store so i asked "if there was a game kinda like ISS Pro on Dreamcast"

WRONG 😡 i sold the game ASAP and buy Virtua Striker 2 version 2001 and it was a paradise in comparison. And arcade or not, Virtua Striker 2 was in term of fun closer to ISS 98 than his game. Ball and players physics, feeling while shooting etc.

...But weirdly, i saw some vids and it doesn't look that bad to play. Just zero ambiance, weird player models.

It's a 128 bits game and it's Off Thread sorry but well, i talk about it without showing that on video and can resist to share it.
In fact, the game looks much better than what i remember. But nothing in terms of sensation in comparison to the game i mentioned.

Looks better / more sim than tons a lot of game when you just watch it no? Don't remember the controls at all.

Never played Skyblazer for Super Nintendo as a kid but I just started with it! Looks really cool, with a nice soundtrack, a good sense of humor (doesn't take itself too seriously), cool enemies and different styles of bosses and great playability! Will probably give it a full review once I finish it, but it's one of those overlooked gems from the 16 bit generation that was sometimes overshadowed by more famous titles! I like the look and feel of this one, will probably spend multiple hours playing it! :TU:

Just bought this on steam for like 6 bucks, it's an indie game called Cathedral and I've been having a blast! I believe it was released in 2019, and it looks like a mix between Wizards and Warriors and Ghouls and Ghosts! I love the fact that a story is not revealed, and it is slowly told as you go through the levels.. In anycase, very solid gameplay, loads of fun, and completely true to the 8 bit - 16 bit era and spirit! Great soundtrack, simple but challenging gameplay, and intricate and very large worlds to explore!

Last edited:
Just bought this on steam for like 6 bucks, it's an indie game called Cathedral and I've been having a blast! I believe it was released in 2019, and it looks like a mix between Wizards and Warriors and Ghouls and Ghosts! I love the fact that a story is not revealed, and it is slowly told as you go through the levels.. In anycase, very solid gameplay, loads of fun, and completely true to the 8 bit - 16 bit era and spirit! Great soundtrack, simple but challenging gameplay, and intricate and very large worlds to explore!

Shovel Knight was already taking inspiration from these old games but this looks like they straight up took assets from it. Even the music sounds practically the same.

Haven't played Shovel Knight but I'm enjoying Cathedral just the same. Apparently Cathedral gives quite a few nods to Shovel Knight, even mentioning it in some references during the game. I don't mind games being similar to others as long as they're fun and done with enthusiasm and respect to the unique spirit of retrogaming! I've found Cathedral to have a charm of its own even if it is based on other retro classics.

Will probably post updates and screens on it as I keep playing along! :TU:

Last edited:
Cathedral looks a very good action / sword game. After i'll be done with 2 games, perphaps i will try it.

On PS4/PS5/Steam probably : Neo Geo for their 25 years have practically ressorted at least 3 or 4 KOF , same price 19.99 euros.

I was a big fan of that VS game, but on arcade against people.
To me, the best to take is King of Fighter 2002 : the game is not on the top KOF list, but they restored/added/changed so much stuffs than it's like another game + the biggest roster on a KOF and a new character "Nameless" (it's his name...)

Just one look at the changes they've made, to match with the best KOF out from that era :

... And now, i didn't checked since a year, through the project was again cancelled or out but a game i'm a super fan and i participated to some tournament (won one :SMOKIN: with the USA guy : Gary Scott > the second strongest player in the game... Now is the 3rd or 4rd on the version 2 lol) when i was on top , online emulation : WINJAMMERS... But the 2 finally sorted out and i tried it's the exact same feeling (I brought it instantly for 19.99 : no way to resist)
The 2 of that game is a killer too. More characters variety etc.

I wanted to open a thread, but i think it would fail or we will be 2 or 3 big max who really cares 😅

A note about it : it would turn completely on a SNES or Megadrive. Perhaps SNK wanted to keep it as an Exclusive? I would have sold thousand and thousand copies, and should be considered on the 16bits Snes/Megadrive as the best "sport", even overall on a top 5, game.
Or the success cames 10 years later perhaps? Who knows... Just sad that i never saw a port and we can't have big memories of that game right now, and a name that everyone recognize instantly like a Final Fight for example.

For Gameplay comparison > out on Steam also if you want to play against friend, with small filters (just enough). That game still got tournament 30 years laters... It means a lot. We already talked about it, but i re-add the first to compare with the "2" version.

Windjammers (Neo Geo)

.... And now, the GOAT, Windjammers 2 (out on every current/new gen console and Steam)
(graphisms are not retro at all... But gameplay and everything else YES!)

@vialli82 I love the King of Fighters franchise, aside from having one of the coolest soundtracks ever, I find the characters so colorful and with a lot of personality. While growing up, it always seemed like everyone was either a Street Fighter or a Mortal Kombat gamer, but in retrospect I can honestly say that I prefer SNK fighting games the most. Just something about them, could be the rock n' roll attitude of KOF, or the traditional Japanese culture of Samurai Shodown, but they just have something that in my eyes, Capcom and Acclaim lack in their fighting games. Maybe it's the humor or atmosphere, the characters and their attitudes which seem more relaxed yet at the same time stranger, but something about KOF/Samurai Shodown just does it for me much more than SF or MK.

Here's a longplay of the KOF I played the most, 98, and with perhaps my favorite team! :TU:

The thing is they're more manga's characters/protagonists for some than on SFII.
Mortal Kombat is more like SyFy/horror movies.

I already said it but i've always been more SNK than Capcom for Fighting games (there's not only SF but Marvel series, Darkstalkers, etc.)
There's Garou Mark of Wolves from the Fatal Fury series, Art of Figthing 3, All Samurai Shodown etc., games got a better drawn and even if they looks a bit similar in the design, gameplay is very different and hard to handle. It's a bit more let's say for 2D Fighting purists.

BUT there's a exception : i'm a big fan of Capcom vs SNK (made by Capcom, supported by SNK)... And there's also SNK VS Capcom (made by SNK only i think) is just a good average game, nothing exceptionnal.
They kinda rushed it, but weirdly the design is to my opinion a bit smoother, hardcore let's say. It ressemble more to the first KOF, while the Capcom version was more modern.

But one of my favourite was their Jojo's Bizarre Adventure reproducing the Season 3 perfectly (in Jojo's manga, every season could be REALLY different. It's a story of family heritage and every new season got a new principal character named "Jojo's", like here Jotaro Kujo young > Jo-Jo)
That one is the second of the serie, the first is called "Jojo's Venture" i don't remember having played it.

And i also prefers vastly after replaying it SFIII than the SFII series.
It's more punchy, less Capcom "usual" stuff and more... SNK lol. Like the games from SFIII generation.
You can see it from the re-worked design more manga-ish

Jojo's Bizarre adventure : Heritage for the Future
(Arcade, PSX, Saturn)

Street Fighter III Third strike
(Arcade, PSX, Saturn, Dreamcast also on PS Store and probably Steam/Xbox Live)

An SNK game who didn't make success BUT perhaps the most beautiful game, with an awesome gameplay they've made, perhaps out too late when 3D was everywhere, on 1999 :

The Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo, PS2, Dreamcast also Steam, PSstore, Xbox Live, PSVita)

I discovered The Last Blade and The Last Blade 2 through Neo Geo a long while after it was released! But I immediately liked it, being as I am a fan of Samurai movies and games. I think it's pretty cool that it kind of has an intermediate time period, It seems like the late 19th century when Japan was opening up to foreign influence, but still retains a lot of the ancient ways. Makes for a nice contrast. I remember having two favorite characters: Moriya (the red haired one) and also Kojiroh(who is actually a woman fighting as a man).. Also cool characters from the 2nd one was the drunk guy (I forget his name) and also the Kung Fu Master was pretty cool! :TU:

EDIT: Moriya's fighting style reminds me a bit of a mix between Ukyo and Haohmaru actually more like 70% Ukyo 30% Haohmaru. :LMAO:

Time to visit an interesting title for the SNES: Dragon: The Bruce Lee story. It kind of reminds me of Street Smart for the Arcade in the sense that it is highly reliant on combos. Smooth gameplay and overall it's a pretty fun game, actually one of the harder titles that I've played on SNES! I think I was able to beat it probably once, haha, might go back to it sometime soon. Anyway, pretty interesting set of rivals, and if you guys want a very tough challenge, which of course is plentiful in retrogaming, make sure to check this one out! :TU:

Last edited:
Time to visit an interesting title for the SNES: Dragon: The Bruce Lee story. It kind of reminds me of Street Smart for the Arcade in the sense that it is highly reliant on combos. Smooth gameplay and overall it's a pretty fun game, actually one of the harder titles that I've played on SNES! I think I was able to beat it probably once, haha, might go back to it sometime soon. Anyway, pretty interesting set of rivals, and if you guys want a very tough challenge, which of course is plentiful in retrogaming, make sure to check this one out! :TU:

I was a sucker for the movie and liked a lot the game (played it on Megadrive of course) even though as you said it was so damn hard lol. Love that if you lose enough times you have a last chance to continue by going against the Samurai, which was a representation of Bruce fears or something iirc.

I was a sucker for the movie and liked a lot the game (played it on Megadrive of course) even though as you said it was so damn hard lol. Love that if you lose enough times you have a last chance to continue by going against the Samurai, which was a representation of Bruce fears or something iirc.
There are so many games that came out for the Master System/Mega Drive that I had no idea existed. And while we are on that topic, how about Master System's version of Ninja Gaiden?? I remember @vialli82 posting about it a few months ago, and I finally was able to pick it up.. Man what an amazing game. Even though I absolutely loved Ninja Gaiden for the Nintendo, I think the Master System's version is perhaps dare I say.. Superior?? Definitely different, but at the same time, it retains the spirits of the Nintendo Saga. I've just had so much fun with this new reiteration of Ninja Gaiden that I just had to revisit it.. You guys have to check it out if you are fans of the original NES series. I love the new movements, graphics, story, soundtrack.. It's like revisiting an old classic with an entirely new twist, yet at the same time it feels familiar! :TU: Great recommendation bro!!

Last edited:
I found a website, regarding retro games. Usually i find borin such topics about top-10, top-20 charts, cause they are usually rushed, or halfbaked, but this one site, is as much as possible spot on. The writter of the articles usually does some top-15.

The rest are the known games we usually discuss here. What i found interesting for example, was the heavy censorship, even video games recieve in the West edition, in contrast to Japanese games.

Didn't expect that censorship in Mario Kart , for example.

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/snes-games-you-didnt-know-were-censored/

@slamsoze Right! One of the things I noticed when I played Final Fight for the first time in arcade (I had played it on SNES growing up), is that some of the characters were changed (new characters were named Billy and Sid, lol), but so many of the graphics were changed/censored as well! Interesting read for sure. Reminds me of the classic punch out, how some of the characters were changed as well (Soda Popinski) to suit younger audiences haha.. Some surprising ones on the list, some of them I knew but others I had no idea.. for example Mario Kart (!), (I also think it's quite surprising that it got censored, but it seemed to be the same reason as "Soda Popinski") :LMAO: Actraiser was a surprising one as well!

I found a website, regarding retro games. Usually i find borin such topics about top-10, top-20 charts, cause they are usually rushed, or halfbaked, but this one site, is as much as possible spot on. The writter of the articles usually does some top-15.

The rest are the known games we usually discuss here. What i found interesting for example, was the heavy censorship, even video games recieve in the West edition, in contrast to Japanese games.

Didn't expect that censorship in Mario Kart , for example.

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/snes-games-you-didnt-know-were-censored/
Had no idea they censored all that stuff.

Some are even kinda comprehensible, some are just straight up nonsense (the chainsaw? Wtf :LOL: )

By the way, I'm not surprised.. things from Japan were heavily censored here in Italy (and I suspect in all the west as well in some measure). For example anime that were going on mainstream channels.. a complete massacre, I think they skip entire episodes of stuff like Cat's Eye or Orange Road for example. Names had the same fate that awaited many games of that list (leaving alone the heavy italianization of names in the early 90'ies, for example in Dragonball God became something like "The Supreme").. on small channels they were more permissive tho (we had a cult one in Italy all us kids that grew up in that age remember that had plenty of classics like Doraemon, Tokimeki Tonight, Ninja Hattori Kun and many, maaaany others but also stuff like Tiger Man or Kenshiro uncensored, among the others.. or at least of Tigerman I'm sure was 100% unfiltered in all his gory glory, in Ken iirc blood wasn't red or something but all the violence was there all the same).

Had no idea they censored all that stuff.

Some are even kinda comprehensible, some are just straight up nonsense (the chainsaw? Wtf :LOL: )

By the way, I'm not surprised.. things from Japan were heavily censored here in Italy (and I suspect in all the west as well in some measure). For example anime that were going on mainstream channels.. a complete massacre, I think they skip entire episodes of stuff like Cat's Eye or Orange Road for example. Names had the same fate that awaited many games of that list (leaving alone the heavy italianization of names in the early 90'ies, for example in Dragonball God became something like "The Supreme").. on small channels they were more permissive tho (we had a cult one in Italy all us kids that grew up in that age remember that had plenty of classics like Doraemon, Tokimeki Tonight, Ninja Hattori Kun and many, maaaany others but also stuff like Tiger Man or Kenshiro uncensored, among the others.. or at least of Tigerman I'm sure was 100% unfiltered in all his gory glory, in Ken iirc blood wasn't red or something but all the violence was there all the same).
By coincidence, i posted about this in anime/manga thread , some days ago.

From what I've seen, Japan although it is supposed to be more conservative, according to the stereotypes, it is a lot more lenient, to what allows to kids to watch & play, in comparison to West.

In West world, according to my experience with dragon Ball and other anime, and due to my country, sometimes buys the rights to localisation from USA , and others from Spain, Italy, France, Germany or other European countries, where the cost is lower, i have noticed that USA has the most strick policy , then follows usually UK, who have common studios due to language, and the rest European countries, allow a little bit more uncensored, less than Japan but more than US/UK...

Sometimes it is for better, but especially with religion symbols, i can't understand the madness of West World.

And lets say Cristianity and Muslims are " active" religions, some people may be offended. But who, for the love of God could be offended, by an ancient Egyptian religious symbol or name?? AFAIK there aren't any people still believing in Osiris, Ra and Isis...The same for the symbols.of all extincted ancient religions.

Thats a true story, in Yu-Gi-Oh, animé, manga and video games, they've changed in the west a divine monster, from Sky Dragon of Osiris, to Slyfer the Sky Dragon, cause Osiris was...i don't know, a bad word maybe!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom