The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

As a massive fan of strategy games, I'd never seen "Populous: The Beginning". I remember playing the old school Populous which was released around 1993, which was a cool mix between simcity and civilization in a sense (it definitely had elements of both, in terms of city building and also technologies, mysticism, etc), but I had never seen this one. Looks really cool, especially since it seems to delve into mythology! I'm going to have to find a copy of this soon, seems like it is right up my alley! :TU:

@vialli82 I haven't been able to get the Turbografx emulator to work yet for me.. But when I do I will definitely be checking out the games you mention, if it is called "the king" of the genre then yes, definitely it is worth checking out big time! :TU:

Sega comes to the rescue! Once again, more of a mystery console for me! I wasn't really part of the "console wars" of the 90's, but I was definitely more of a SNES kid than a Mega Drive, so a lot of these games are new to me.. which is really exciting. :)

Here's one more great game of the genre for SNES which I really like and still play: UN Squadron!

I loved un squadron. Those songs really took me back a good 30 years.
i was never able to beat it. I once got to the final stage and paused the game to wait for my brother to come home to show him only to be wiped in the first 30 seconds. Awesome game. I should download it

U.N. Squadron, thanks for the memories @millossobek and @el niche (as i switched the post, no idea how) i completely forgot about that superb game.

Another mix Adventure, RPG, shooter, but with machine / it's still a shooter, very praised on Snes as a whole game :

Assault Suits Valken (Cybernator in Europe) well it's the translated version for having 60 fps.
That game is very great. It's a Mecha game but you don't feel like a Gundam etc., it's more like a tank with the option to fly with :

Assault Suits Valken / Cybernator (Snes only)

The PS2 remake (discovered while searching for a vid, big surprise)

Note : practically everyone mention that the Snes version is far superior (i would say more authentic because the commands are the same, just a different OST who was excellent, and the tons of small details modded. I don't see it as inferior : just the Snes version is THE version : authentic)

Another similar type of game pretty good as i given a try... There's some others episodes in 3D Isometric principally and small stage in 2D. Same way : Shooter-Rpg

Front mission series : Gun Hazard

Last edited:
UN Squadron is a great great game. Very fun! I wasn't able to beat it either, but will probably try in emulator soon!

Cybernator and Front Mission look really fun! I haven't played too much of mecha games, but looking at the gameplay it is definitely worth checking out! I like the graphics (definitely feels like Front Mission especially stretched the capabilities of SNES, was looking into it and it were released pretty late in SNES career, 1996, also cool that some RPG elements are mixed into it too). Both look really fun! Here's an additional SNES title that I found searching for similar games, called Metal Warriors! :TU:

Hey guys! I posted this over at the indie games thread as well, but wanted to post it here because I think it is strictly related to retrogaming! There's a new game being developed and I think it will be released very soon, called Abathor, it really looks cool I would say a mix of 8-bit, 16-bit and some more modern backgrounds! One interesting thing about this one is that it has 4 player coop mode, but what I like the most is the theme. It's kind of a platformer Golden Axe! Can't wait to see this one released on steam, will put it on my wish list. :) :TU:

I've been playing quite a bit of DKC: Tropical Freeze on Switch, which makes me think of asking you guys the following question: Which of the 3 Donkey Kong Countrys for the SNES is your favorite?

1675639075490.png

Hey guys! I posted this over at the indie games thread as well, but wanted to post it here because I think it is strictly related to retrogaming! There's a new game being developed and I think it will be released very soon, called Abathor, it really looks cool I would say a mix of 8-bit, 16-bit and some more modern backgrounds! One interesting thing about this one is that it has 4 player coop mode, but what I like the most is the theme. It's kind of a platformer Golden Axe! Can't wait to see this one released on steam, will put it on my wish list. :) :TU:

The first guy is just straight up Rastan from Rastan Saga. Looks cool and has online co-op! No confirmed release on the consoles (apart from Switch) though :((

If you guys be liking the retro style newer games, don't sleep on The Messenger. A very cool little game.

@Isslander Rastan, of course! I knew the guy looked familiar. Wonder if the other characters are based on other retrogames as well. :) The messenger looks cool. I love this trend of retro style new games, there are so many I want to play.

Here's another game that I just found, "Fuudp Myoden" also known as Daemon Sword for the NES! Apparently it's a sequel of a game called "Legend of Shadows". At first I thought it was related to Legend of Kage, as it has a similar jumping mechanic, but then I realized it was an entirely new saga. Love these kind of games, very fast-paced and atmospheric, and of course a big plus is if it has something to do with mythology, as you can see a lot of the bosses seem right out of ancient myths and creatures. Awesome. :)

Staing with the 8-bit theme, I've been wanting to play something very classic for a while, and I've been really enjoying the first Metroid. Something about it, the sparseness and simplicity of it, the basic graphics, I just find really fun. Nowadays I sometimes feel like games time to overwhelm you with too many options, but the elegant simplicity of this Metroid still shines through over 30 years later. After and if I beat this one I'll probably move on to Super Metroid for the SNES, another great classic! :)

Anyone know what the name of this game is? Looks really fun. Let's try to figure it out without looking it up! :TU:(Awesome soundtrack too!!)

Last edited:
Anyone know what the name of this game is? Looks really fun. Let's try to figure it out without looking it up! :TU:(Awesome soundtrack too!!)

I remember as on my Mega-CD collection, i've make a choice of "best games" from X websites.
Name : "Lords of Thunder" > Sega CD and PC Engine CD (not on Arcade, console only)

To be honest i got to check as i misunderstood that games whith "Phelios" as it's +- the same theme but it's a vertical shooter, another pretty good game... Because both where out (only i believe) on Sega-cd and PC-Engine CD called also Turboduo ;)

Your version is from PC-Engine CD. More colourful. Both have their strong and weak points

It's not the first thing i saw, but i checked the Megadrive improvement "hack" since a long time like the SFII' which is practically Arcade perfect, i don't like the word hack for it but it's more "improvement" like they call it in "Gamehacking", aswell as the Final Fight CD Arcade....

Now that every fans of that console got much better developpement system than when it was launched, they resurrected it literally. Colorfuls games, etc., in fact it was a monster.

Now, the new plateform for creating 16 bits consoles games (playable on the real hardware) is not gamemaker or stuffs like that, but the good old Sega console. The rendering makes gives really Arcade 16 bits vibes, and there's tons of game and remake in preparation. Even game out on 32 bits as 16 bits "couldn't" handle it : wrong. Just a good plateform to develop, full aknowledge of the hardware, and you can port tons of games.

Looks here, 25 games in preparation and it's doesn't look amateurish at all except perhaps some games i didn't take attention :

Snes is a bit more difficult to program, needs to activate extra chip while Megadrive cartdrige are "raw", and there's alrealdy tons of improvement.
Like the Ultimate MK 3 Arcade edition i posted, it's a version 1.4 but there's even upcoming version the best console version never out...

Aswell as i tried : Street Fighter II' "Hyper Fighting" (enhanced) megadrive is the best SFII version you can found on console, no joke you can try especially with the 6 buttons Sega controller.

When those devs will get a bit more understanding and control about Super FX 2... Can't sincerely imagine what it will do. or even smoother version of Street Fighter Alpha.

About others games (than football), it's a great era which you can found PS5/XBX games level aswell as new Megadrive games, improved Snes games too.
Hope one fan will also focus on Snes, the console is very well know and since they found the "fast-rom" + if they manage to makes super FX games in 2D šŸ˜

But please, i don't want AGAIN a full hack of Super Mario World or Zelda III (there's program for it... So it's not really something impressive, and stories are often too much lookalike and amateurish)
I would like a port of Wario 4 (GBA) on Snes, that game is awesome

Wait, I'm a bit confused bro @vialli82, so this is an emulator hack, or is it an add-on for those who actually have the actual Mega Drive/Sega Genesis console?? I just took a look at Final Fight and Astebros from your video (I wasn't familiar with the latter game, looks very cool it looks like it is a new game kind of similar to Cathedral, very much a type of platformer I would like!) and the graphics improvements are definitely there! I don't quite understand what it is though, because they are also mentioning that it can create new games but in anycase it looks really cool! :TU:

Edit: Here I found a longplay of Astebros, VERY cool BTW!

Last edited:
Wait, I'm a bit confused bro @vialli82, so this is an emulator hack, or is it an add-on for those who actually have the actual Mega Drive/Sega Genesis console?? I just took a look at Final Fight and Astebros from your video (I wasn't familiar with the latter game, looks very cool it looks like it is a new game kind of similar to Cathedral, very much a type of platformer I would like!) and the graphics improvements are definitely there! I don't quite understand what it is though, because they are also mentioning that it can create new games but in anycase it looks really cool! :TU:

I will wait for @vialli82 to explain, as i am not familiar too.

But from what I've understood, I'm guessing, it's a devkit for PC (obviously?) and you have a game in code format, which you can either use it as a ROM on an emulator, or dump it into a cartridge, of you have the equipment.

Amazing how smooth most games look.

Astero is an original game, that's what following Sega MD hacking is really became super interesting those time. It exploded let's say 5 years ago.

To answer to @slamsoze those game are made to run on a real hardware :) like every hack in fact with some exception. I'll explain in big.

In fact, there's all "new" ports which never have been ported to Megadrive (like Final Fight MD) and compatible with the real Hardware, which is supporting a 64 MB cartdrige (more than enough from that time).

Let's takes some game for example like MK1 Ultimate (or a name like that) on Megadrive : it looks FAR better than the original (EDIT / MD original not the Arcade one obviously) with more animations, sprites reworked with better colors, except the sound and some very small animation the whole package looks more like the Arcade version. Well i ain't a super fan of the 1st MK, but it's impressive what people can do with a "simple" megadrive, but a megadrive totally unleashed and with all tools to improve each games.

For Snes there's one game completely independant out 15 years ago, a plateformer. Don't worry, as there's tons of Megadrive fans doing crazy thing, Snes fans will counterattack in a super fair fighting for all retrogamers ;) BUT all those hack with exceptions. I'm also a Snes fans but they don't push it that far as others people did on Megadrive... For the moment šŸ˜‰
Example : the 16:9 MarioKart made for Bsnes HD, a powerfull emulator. Those one AREN'T compatible with the original console, but they're very, very rare.

Just some things to know:
On the past, when they ported a game, of they judged the colors "at the eye" more or less, or they wanted to change some colors for make it looking Megadrive or SNES authentic... But what we wanted was Arcade perfect (almost of course).

Now, modders extract the real 255/255/255 colors from the Arcade version and assign it, redesign sprite etc. it's a hard work and 16 bits hacking another world lol. Tons of passionate people.
I don't like Hack at all with different story or completely changing the game, putting Zelda on SMB3 etc. Or a sprite from TNMT on Street of rage etc.
But what's called "hack improvement" focus on the real game issues, colours, animations, like it should have been done 20-30 years ago šŸ„° BUT i also got a big love for authentic old version untouched. Just that it's giving a new life to games you think to have enough of it.

Well it was like always limitations due to money of a cartrdrige memory. from 8 to 64 Mega at the time or with a special ship was decided by Sega or Nintendo if they wanted the cartdrige cost acceptable or expensive if they were certain everyone will rush on it. So devs should do with their own weapons.

Now there isn't that kind of limitation so it's very open to improvement, which doesn't means that every games need 64 mb, often 32 or 24 is enough of course.

I forgot:
There's no cartdrige often except on some website, you just need an Everdrive to put the rom and put it on your Megadrive, Snes, N64 etc.
Everdrive is available for almost every console with a cartdrige. Hacks on CD don't need it.

Last edited:
Not sure, but i have a strong feeling, like an old dream, that I've seen/played? an even better hockey game, ala NBA JAM, with a Naomi/Dreamcast level of detail.
You know bro, now that you mention it, I think I might've played it too in an arcade, or something very similar back in college! :LOL:

Speaking of NBA Jam, it's quite interesting to note this siimilar game (I think it was the competition to NBA Jam, might've posted it before, but worthy of a re-mention), called Barkley's Shut Up and Jam! Now I understand why NBA Jam Tournament Edition didn't have Charles Barkley in it, since he was licensed for this game! (Kind of like how Michael Jordan was licensed for Chaos in the Windy City!). Quite liked this Barkley game, more focused on Streetball, with Barkley as the only "real" NBA player and the rest made up of fantasy players! Very similar to NBA Jam in terms of gameplay and style, but with some differences! šŸ€

Already tried some games, but the controls are a bit weird. But it's a good game : the version 2 is better it seems. Not an arcade port (Console only and perhaps PC made for gaming like Amiga)

Talking about NBA JAM, that one was inspired by NBA JAM...
But which was the first 2v2 game who inspired NBA JAM ? Answers from the devs themselves :

ARCH RIVALS (Arcade, Nes, Megadrive, Game Gear). I remember the Arcade version, i played it on a 150 games cartdrige on Game Gear lol that's all. As you played all NES games in the world you probably played it on the 8 bits version lol

Better to post the original Arcade for a comparison BUT the visual on Megadrive aged better... The modded some stuff here and there, it's even more fluid in animations.

Needs to give a retry for 2 or 3 games.

For comparison, what's this game is looking on MD and NES? Let's see... GameGear is a portable i don't like to compare as the screen is always too reduced.

Megadrive :

NES:

Conclusion : the NES version is a very great port, thanks in emulation you can remove sprite limiter for not having player "blinking" (appearing and disappearing in 0.2 second etc.)
And my favourite version Arcade included is the Megadrive one. More fluid than Arcade.

... Well it's just for information but i'm not too much Basketball games to be honest, i was a fan and following NBA in the 90's.
NBA LIVE from what i remember was better on SNES while FIFA better Megadrive.
Of course : NBA JAM is an OVNI, THE Arcade fun exception.

Little O.T.
But i got really, really hard with NBA2K with their system of Triangle for passing to one player, Square for another etc. .... They they keept that system?
It's ingenious but for me not, but not, really not giving any feeling and sensation at all. I would like just a bar power + direction. There's zero feeling to play like that.

One of the best IF not the best 5 vs 5 16-32 bits game which never been ported to any console, i got the chance to play the 1st... Here's the second version.
Immersive and ultra fun, i recommand it on MAME. You send me a "flash" in my brain about that game. Fortunately it was on the research "Arcade Basketball game"

RUN & GUN 2

.... Again Konami. It was a pillar, even their hidden gems were great :(

Already tried some games, but the controls are a bit weird. But it's a good game : the version 2 is better it seems. Not an arcade port (Console only and perhaps PC made for gaming like Amiga)

Talking about NBA JAM, that one was inspired by NBA JAM...
But which was the first 2v2 game who inspired NBA JAM ? Answers from the devs themselves :

ARCH RIVALS (Arcade, Nes, Megadrive, Game Gear). I remember the Arcade version, i played it on a 150 games cartdrige on Game Gear lol that's all. As you played all NES games in the world you probably played it on the 8 bits version lol

Better to post the original Arcade for a comparison BUT the visual on Megadrive aged better... The modded some stuff here and there, it's even more fluid in animations.

Needs to give a retry for 2 or 3 games.

For comparison, what's this game is looking on MD and NES? Let's see... GameGear is a portable i don't like to compare as the screen is always too reduced.

Megadrive :

NES:

Conclusion : the NES version is a very great port, thanks in emulation you can remove sprite limiter for not having player "blinking" (appearing and disappearing in 0.2 second etc.)
And my favourite version Arcade included is the Megadrive one. More fluid than Arcade.

... Well it's just for information but i'm not too much Basketball games to be honest, i was a fan and following NBA in the 90's.
NBA LIVE from what i remember was better on SNES while FIFA better Megadrive.
Of course : NBA JAM is an OVNI, THE Arcade fun exception.

Little O.T.
But i got really, really hard with NBA2K with their system of Triangle for passing to one player, Square for another etc. .... They they keept that system?
It's ingenious but for me not, but not, really not giving any feeling and sensation at all. I would like just a bar power + direction. There's zero feeling to play like that.
One of the best IF not the best 5 vs 5 16-32 bits game which never been ported to any console, i got the chance to play the 1st... Here's the second version.
Immersive and ultra fun, i recommand it on MAME. You send me a "flash" in my brain about that game. Fortunately it was on the research "Arcade Basketball game"

RUN & GUN 2

.... Again Konami. It was a pillar, even their hidden gems were great :(
If it's about modern 2K, I'm into series after 2010, there is a trigger , R1+ something, or L1+something , you trigger it and every button is a pass to 1 of your 4 teammates. But there's still the traditional pass with :x: .

As for KONAMI Run and Gun, it's from the most serious attempts, given the age 1996. Both technically and gameplay wise. Sprites look solid, not so many blinking and models disappearing, the game follows the basic laws of the sport and physics, and is fun too.

Regarding @millossobek , i feel Jordan was the Bundesliga of 90s in the video games, in relation to his license. The only game i recall having legit Jordan, was a 1vs1 game i had for gameboy, and some early NBA Live. Also IIRC there was a bootleg version of NBA Jam for arcade only, that did have Jordan for Bulls, or you could unlock him via a password.

Here's the GB game i had with Jordan.

@vialli82 More hidden gems! I especially like Arch Rivals, both the Sega and Nintendo versions look quite fun.. Now I know where NBA Jam comes from!!

@slamsoze The only game I can think of (besides Chaos in the Windy City) which featured legit Jordan in the 90's was Michael Jordan in Flight, for PC only. :TU:

Chaos in the Windy City was a crazy game, nothing to do with NBA.. You're MJ and basically you have to save Chicago from Aliens or something like that using baskeballs as a weapon,, crazy and original game, and actually pretty fun! Plus you had the "status" face before Doomguy, haha.. All in all a wonderfully trippy and "out there" experience!

And of course, there's "Michael Jordan in Flight" :)

Oh, and NBA 2k14 is the greatest basketball game of all time. Just sayin'. :LOL: I actually wrote a lot about it here: https://evoweb.uk/threads/nba-2k-general-thread.79377/page-7#post-3880348 It's one of my top 5-10 favorite games, of all time, in any genre!

Last edited:
@vialli82 More hidden gems! I especially like Arch Rivals, both the Sega and Nintendo versions look quite fun.. Now I know where NBA Jam comes from!!

@slamsoze The only game I can think of (besides Chaos in the Windy City) which featured legit Jordan in the 90's was Michael Jordan in Flight, for PC only. :TU:

Chaos in the Windy City was a crazy game, nothing to do with NBA.. You're MJ and basically you have to save Chicago from Aliens or something like that using baskeballs as a weapon,, crazy and original game, and actually pretty fun! Plus you had the "status" face before Doomguy, haha.. All in all a wonderfully trippy and "out there" experience!

And of course, there's "Michael Jordan in Flight" :)

Oh, and NBA 2k14 is the greatest basketball game of all time. Just sayin'. I actually wrote a lot about it here: https://evoweb.uk/threads/nba-2k-general-thread.79377/page-7#post-3880348 It's one of my top 5-10 favorite games, of all time, in any genre!
I have a feeling again, can't recall previously clear, that NBa2K11, which is also a great game, was the very first game after years, where a complete package deal was made with Jordan. He is on the coverart, the game menus are mostly focus on him, he is in all classic teams he played, and there is a whole single game mode focused around him, Michael Jordan Challenge or Journey something similar with LeBron James journey mode on 2014.

I think from 2011 amd latter, his manager or agent or agency that handles his copyright, realised the impact of video games, and made his licensing more flexible and affordable, cause since then, he appears in almost every basketball video game.

I can recall some basketball games in the 90s and early 00s, that did have Jordan, but it was as all the budget went to afford his privacy policy, and no budget for actual development was left.

Jordan VS Bird too, the first 1 vs 1 game on Megadrive.
But he was already famous, but didn't got the legendary status he owned after.

Otherwhise i never played Jordan in Wind City as it wasn't in location, but in the same time i started to hate (already at a young age lol) the "too much" about Jordan etc., games, shoes, the movie with the Looney tunes.... So i wasn't interested by that game. I don't know, probably got the "too childish" picture in my mind.

But when i see the gameplay, it's looking pretty cool.

The other would be good with something to enhance the 3D sincerely, but not as RUN AND GUN level which looks similar.
Always preferred, except tennis and of course Baseball, the view from the side.

The only sports game i like both side or from aerial view is Hockey games like NHL. Late 80 until 2000 there's tons of hidden gems Hockey games.

Another hidden Gem from arcade, who never get the success he deserved (the snes and megadrive ports were okay...) is one of my favourite regarding the character, the overall design and the feeling was :

HIT THE ICE (Arcade, Snes, Nes, PC Engine, GB, GameGear)

Arcade version:

Well they said "arcade" but it's not like football, Arcade game could be realistic or sometimes brings some extra fun stuffs like fighting more interesting, less serious. But the game was balanced

Jordan VS Bird too, the first 1 vs 1 game on Megadrive.
But he was already famous, but didn't got the legendary status he owned after.

Otherwhise i never played Jordan in Wind City as it wasn't in location, but in the same time i started to hate (already at a young age lol) the "too much" about Jordan etc., games, shoes, the movie with the Looney tunes.... So i wasn't interested by that game. I don't know, probably got the "too childish" picture in my mind.

The other would be good with something to enhance the 3D sincerely, but not as RUN AND GUN level which looks similar.
Always preferred, except tennis and of course Baseball, the view from the side.

The only sports game i like both side or from aerial view is Hockey games like NHL. Late 80 until 2000 there's tons of hidden gems Hockey games.

Another hidden Gem from arcade, who never get the success he deserved (the snes and megadrive ports were okay...) is one of my favourite regarding the character, the overall design and the feeling was :

HIT THE ICE (Arcade, Snes, Nes, PC Engine, GB, GameGear)

Arcade version:

Well they said "arcade" but it's not like football, Arcade game could be realistic or sometimes brings some extra fun stuffs like fighting more interesting, less serious. But the game was balanced
Looks pretty solid game. For me that you day about arcade, is something i am feeling i was searching for years, since the early days, but never knew how to name it when i was a kid.

There are tons of sports games, that are arcade or simcades, but they depict much much better the sport they represent, even in contrast to modern games (sometimes).

I mean, sometimes you can't build a Flight Simulator level for every sports game.

Super Sidekicks Soccer, NBA Jam, Street Hoop, Super Volley Ball, Power Spikes, Track & Field (KoNAMi) for NES and Gameboy, are all examples of mid90s sports games, that in some aspects look more realistic than many PS2 and PS3 sports games.

Exactly, it's just that it was on an Arcade Cabinet and fast to play, even if you could choose formation etc.
But i don't remember on Super Sidekicks having very high score.. 5 minutes games in the same time, but often 1 or 2 goal by games.
And it was very hard to score directly, there was a learning curve.

Edit:
Otherwhise talking about "arcade" game, there's some game who got burried too soon. I retried ISS 3 and it's a solid game, and also the jap-us version never released here of this is football "World Tour Soccer 2" : i was really impressed by the overall game quality and balance.
To me it's less "buggy" and more playable than Namco Football Kingdom. (Big annoyance : i didn't found how to switch shoot from circle to square, all the buttons are the same as PES except that...)

Last edited:
Definitely, man. When I first saw that gameplay I really thought it was so original, and still is. I can't think of another game that has a sports figure, but as a platformer action "save the world" kind of game. I still think it is one of the most original games out there! :)

Speaking of other interesting basketball games, here's a strange and cool one: Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball! As I was talking to @Silverdome94 not too long ago, Laimbeer was part of the "Bad Boys" Pistons, a late 80's championship team which took physical basketball to another level.. And this game is definitely a faithful representation of that! Armored futuristic players in a no-nonsense, no-foul baskeball world, I remember when I was a kid this looked really different, and it still does! :TU:

Wasn't there a Basketball game like that one you quoted before or it's another?

All games cames from Speedball, a mix of handball futuristic and American Football. Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe out in 1990 firstly in Amiga.

I will post the Amiga CD 32 for a change of support and the HD "remake" just for fun. But the game was out on every PC for gaming and Console Megadrive, Gamegear, Master System but also on GB and GBA. The best console version is on Jaguar lol, the faiI console "64 bits" (my ass) my friend owned a megadrive and i sold (with a bit of pain) my Megadrive at the time : i was sad Snes didn't got it in their catalog lol, just the portable version for Nintendo don't ask me why.

BUT (EDIT) my first games were on Master System and it was as cool in 1990 excactly, i promise you:SAL:

Here's the HD Remake :

Graphically i prefers the old version (more authentic, i prefers pixel arts + scanlines or filters), but gameplay and possibility + the effect when the ball is flying gives a better perspective to play, i must admit... + The 16/9 screen
It's a remaster, there's a bit more stuff on it i believe. But i wouldn't buy it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom