The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Army Men series, i only play few of them

- World War LSA.

The World War LSA was really hard, i never finish this one. Afaik, there's multiplayer in this game, really hate when i got killed by mortar, lol.

- Air Attack 1 & 2

Chopper goes phew phew, love this game ! 🚁

- World War LSA.

The World War LSA was really hard, i never finish this one. Afaik, there's multiplayer in this game, really hate when i got killed by mortar, lol.

- Air Attack 1 & 2

Used to love the concept of this game, mostly by video games magazines , but as i had played only the N64 , i always felt that this game had better treatment on PlayStation, better optimization, more exclusive versions, etc.

Been playing this in 2-player mode for a few days.. Have been having an insane amount of fun. :) Love this series

Which one is your favorite between Top Gear 1, 2, and 3000? Mine is this one for sure even though the three games are absolute gems.

Just found this one, haven't played it yet but I've been meaning to try it. Crusader of Centy for the Genesis/Mega Drive! At first look it definitely looks like a Zelda-type game, very similar to Link to the Past, complete with the overworld and the different dungeons, etc. Looks very solid in terms of gameplay and graphics. It's amazing the number of Genesis/Mega Drive games that I haven't played yet, since I grew up more with SNES.. A really deep catalog of undiscovered games for this console!

@vialli82 have you played this bro?

Last edited:
Been playing this in 2-player mode for a few days.. Have been having an insane amount of fun. :) Love this series

Which one is your favorite between Top Gear 1, 2, and 3000? Mine is this one for sure even though the three games are absolute gems.

Never played 3000, but for me TG2 was great, I recall you could upgrade your car's parts. However, TG1 was my favorite, 2 added a few other things but 1 had a special something.
Man good memories, in TG1 I just remember the slowest car (white one) was the best bc it didnt use so much fuel, I cant remember if there were pits tho... I guess its time to youtube that gem.

Speaking of Top Gear, these are interesting news!

https://www.tarreo.com/noticias/707...el-2023-en-una-coleccion-con-todos-sus-juegos

Top Gear trilogy will come out on PC and consoles in 2023! It would be so awesome to play a remastered version of these classics, the same games but with new graphics! I really hope they keep the same soundtrack too. :TU: :BSCARF:

@el niche I believe the first Top Gear had pits, and Top Gear 2 introduced the red and blue recharge strips on the tracks!

Last edited:

https://www.tarreo.com/noticias/707...el-2023-en-una-coleccion-con-todos-sus-juegos

Top Gear trilogy will come out on PC and consoles in 2023! It would be so awesome to play a remastered version of these classics, the same games but with new graphics! I really hope they keep the same soundtrack too. :TU: :BSCARF:

@el niche I believe the first Top Gear had pits, and Top Gear 2 introduced the red and blue recharge strips on the tracks!

This is so great, just the old music gave me good vibes. I dont remember the red and blue charging strips in the second one but now I remember the pits in the first one.
Ill def give this a try. So it was called Top Racer in some parts instead of Top Gear?

So it was called Top Racer in some parts instead of Top Gear?
I think they had to rename the game because there's a car magazine called "Top Gear" :LMAO: Oh and here are the charging strips! (From 3000) I'll have to play the first Top Gear again, I remember the pit stops were quite challenging! I actually like both systems as they both make the races exciting! Can't wait to try the remastered version! :TU:

page_1.jpgSNES_Top_Gear_3000_first_track.jpg

Here is some great Top Gear 3000 music to set the mood right. :)

- World War LSA.

- Air Attack 1 & 2

Army Men RTS is only 5.99 dollars on steam! This actually looks really fun. :TU:

This is interesting, there seems to be a connection to Horizon Chase Turbo but not the same developer? HCT is already heavily influenced by Top Gear and is a bloody great game btw

Guys, I'm about to buy this on Steam, looks so awesome, especially for us retro-heads who are huge fans of this series! This one was released in 2020 and I only just found out! (Half price until the 29th of November, it's like 4 bucks!)

STREETS OF RAGE 4! :BSCARF: I really love the fact that the graphics are more modern but the original spirit and gameplay of the Retro Classic saga is followed! Getting excited about this one. :)

Here's an interesting one.. a NES port of Mega Drive's classic "Altered Beast"! I remember having the Famicom console of this one, and I'm surprised at how well it played. Pretty interesting because it's not really that common to see 16 bit games "downported" to 8-bit, even though there are other examples!

Just found this one, haven't played it yet but I've been meaning to try it. Crusader of Centy for the Genesis/Mega Drive! At first look it definitely looks like a Zelda-type game, very similar to Link to the Past, complete with the overworld and the different dungeons, etc. Looks very solid in terms of gameplay and graphics. It's amazing the number of Genesis/Mega Drive games that I haven't played yet, since I grew up more with SNES.. A really deep catalog of undiscovered games for this console!

@vialli82 have you played this bro?

The best RPG on Megadrive (it's normally called "Soleil" (Sun) in French and others countries i think) is Legend of Thor and that one.
Especially Legend of Thor which is an RPG with a style of fighting beat-them-all with a sword.
But Soleil/C.O.C. is more a classic Zelda-like rpg.

Changing topic, i got also a lot of "port from poor" on my Master System and some shared on NES :LOL: about "port for poor", but ii kinda liked it.
There was something that tilted me : Sega wasn't too much about making all their games exclusives like Nintendo, perhaps some of them where created with others companies. I owned both MS and Megadrive and games got sometimes differences changing litterally the game (like Ghouls'n'ghosts and the 4-5 armors with different colors etc.)

Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Fantasy Zone, Altered Beast, Space Harrier... You can found plenty of those ports on practically every console.
Only very few games like Space Harrier or Out Run were transformed for NES (except Golden Axe) with other lookalike character but not the real name... But available in other console/PC gaming from that time.
It was probably due to the "cold war" between those two company lol.

I really believe that Double Dragon is a Sega game, but there's special sequels on NES... Mystery : i don't know if it's because the first version was made on the Arcade "System-16" machine from Sega, but owned by another company. No idea, well, we don't care it's good to have no exclusive for that jewel.
It's perhaps less beautiful than on Master System but you feel better the punch and kick + the mode B with 1VS1.

About Altered beast, on NES, looks more like a fan made port. I'll be honest, it's very bad, like if an amateur did it :JAY: the MS version wasn't really great, but that one is awful (for me) lol, nothing like the real game.

I think Shinobi was also out on NES (better on MS thought).

Otherwise many of those ports were out way before Genesis appeared, so i played all of them first on Master System.
Back to Altered beast a graphisms are good but animation looks like a "Game and Watch" haha, same as Golden Axe, with my favourite character missing : the Dwarf with an axe i always used on Arcade.
Didn't liked that version because of it, even if you could've choose the magic from one of the 3 characters.

I believe there's also "Shinobi" on NES too.
The MS version wasn't "Arcade exact", different system with a life bar on MS but longer stage and more opponents, but it was overall very close to Arcade. PC-Engine version is the closer to arcade you may found, but not especially the funniest (MS version was very fun even if it wasn't "Arcade Perfect"). No port on Genesis unfortunately... But an Hacker is working on it, i already posted it.

Well better vids than words

Altered Beast Master System :

Golden Axe Master System

Bonus Shinobi MS (own system with life bar) vs Arcade port (one touch : you lost)

MS/

Arcade/

Now about "Game and Watch", i owned the Donkey Kong version if people remember it lol.
I don't think it was the original as the Nintendo version of those type of Digital games (i owned a ton of them brought on markets etc.)
I remember you pushed on the screen and could've see every "drawing" from those games haha

Donkey Kong :

About Game and Watch : Nintendo is currently releasing many classics games versions of it. There's also Super Mario Bros...
We can talk about Sony or Microsoft, Konami, EA, but Nintendo, selling very expensive thing just because it's "Nintendo" is to be honest one of the biggest company abusing about people nostalgy to make profit. They're the worst for that... I don't respect them as before since the Nes Mini.

@vialli82 I had no idea a lot of these games were "downported" to 8-bit consoles! For example, I had always played Golden Axe in Mega Drive, never in Master System.. Looks interesting!

There's something quite charming about some of these ports, even if they seem a little bit on the "cheaper" side, such as Altered Beast, haha. Something that I find very unusual and fun about them. But I do remember playing it a lot as a kid and enjoying it. I didn't have 16-bit systems until a bit later on so it was the closest I could get. I remember when I was really little I saw the Altered Beast screenshots for Mega Drive in a magazine I believe it was against the first multi-head boss, and thought.. Man, this is the future of gaming! :LOL:

1670447814652.png

Anyway, Speaking of Streets of Rage 4, I finally bought it, and I attach a screenshot from the first boss. Been really enjoying it, it has that retro feeling with updated graphics. Highly recommended! Now all we need is a new Final Fight! :)

Bros, I've been wondering about 8-bit "spaceship" games, there are so many of them.. And sometimes when I want to play something simple and fun I really like digging into these type of games. Recently I've been playing one of my childhood favorites "B-WINGS", which I think has great replayability and a really cool 8-bit soundtrack, and have really enjoyed it. Wondering if you guys could recommend any other similar type games for 8-bit (or even 16-bit) those type of top-down spaceship adventures. :TU:

Last edited:
I rarely see a Shoot-them-up of that kind.
Well even on Nintendo, STU games are rarest than on Master system and PC Engine nicknamed "the kind of S-T-Up, same as Megadrive and Snes too.

About the special kind i don't know but the walls to break, passages, enemies, weapons. Really like it, will try it on my Rasp 3B+.

There's several hack on Megadrive and Snes like Samurai Shodown 2 made by fans and KOF 98. But you can see it's made by amateurs...

Now, the one i will show is a REAL version made by the guys who did the first, and very close to the arcade (check comparison on youtube).
As it's a japanese game, Snes make it turn in 8:7 and not 4:3 or it will looks slow and stretched.

There's no translation for it sadly, but the game is pretty good /as well as pretty hard lol

Ryuuko no Ken 2 / Art of Fighting 2 (Snes)

Same as the first, there's a zoom effect, which is ultra rare from arcade game to console 16 bits weaker.
Example : Samurai Shodown got a tiny zoom effect like AOF (will explain after). I remember one other game, only on Snes (never on Genesis) who got it : Fatal Fury Special. So only 3 fighting games got it, and on Snes only. But AOF got the biggest and visible zoom of all.

About Samurai Shodown comparison>

-Genesis : they reduced to the common zoom, the sprite are bigger. People prefers it but gameplay talking it's not like the real one (+ Haomaru don't have his big slash, replaced by the one when he's crouched). Earthquake is missing because (from a fan page) he was too big for the "camera" and it tooks a lot of MB, sprite are already bigger... They tried a smaller version but he looked very weird lol.

-Snes : they took the biggest zoom for the playability, but i believe there's a tiny small zoom effect from very far to far.
There's nothing missing (Haomaru slash, Earthquake and his stage are on it), but to be honest you feel a bit less the arcade feeling, that's his weak point.

Whatever the port, if it was a console only game : both version of that game are very great.

This looks really cool. I love fighting games and I'm also always looking for SNES alternatives! I always loved the SNK universe when it came to characters and ambiance, had a lot of personality.. I will definitely check it out, as I really love the Art of Fighting team in the KOF games (Ryo and Takuma Sakazaki, and the ultimate badass Robert Garcia)!

Speaking of another downport, maybe some of you might be familiar with Street Fighter Alpha Zero 2, I believe this is another downport to SNES from a later generation. The game plays really well on 16 bit as well, you get the feeling that they were pushing the16-bit limits on this one! To me there are no downgrades when it comes to the fun factor in this one. The only thing I didn't like about this edition was that my favorite character, Blanka was not there, but there are some nice additions such as Adon, Gen. Birdie and Katana (from Final Fight)

For info @millossobek : that game shouldn't be possible with any basic chip they add on Snes.

It's the second demo with Yoshi Island to what a 2D game would looks like if they introduced Super FX 2 for tons of games at the end of the console.
So yes : it's running under SFX2 mate, it's practically a miracle for a snes to make that game turn. So it's lets say a... 20 bits game 😂
Or better : a FULL 16 bits as there's several chip on every "16 bits" console which are 8 bits only.

I checked Arcade comparison and excepted the resolution.... Very, very similar

I often play it with different characters but on Snes version as i love good ports :)
...Also the samurai wearing urban clothes real name on Final Fight is "Sodom", they changed it of course :LOL:, but Final Fight hack there's names restoration.

EDIT/ Play those games in the native resolution if you can : 8:7. that's the size of Jap TV. You can try on SEVERAL games, you'll see how clean and very beautiful they are "in reality". Well it will looks small and we're used to 4:3 so we can handle it. But just try.

There's many games who just stretched to 4:3 and others who were recreated for Europe/America on 4:3. Even games made by Nintendo, even Super Mario World ;) (here from Capcom it's very rare : Street Fighter, Megaman X, Final Fight)
I suppose that they stretched it regarding the resolution/number of pixels too demanding.

Edit 2: your video or SF Alpha 2 is on 8:7 ;)
I recognise from the size but if it was on 4:3 : check the round stuffs (anywhere on the screen) if they're not really rounded but stretched horizontally.
Then your game is mean to be played in 8:7. If it's the opposite, round stuffs or square stuffs will looks long vertically.

Last edited:
That's interesting to see the limits of 16 bit cartridges pushed to the max.. I find it interesting to see the very late 16 bit games, all of them are really very well done and really great pieces of work.. There are several games like this, released in 94-96 which like you said, filled every chip in the cartridgue. Some of these "20 bit games" are amongst the very best in SNES.. I can think of quite a few, besides the aforementioned Street Fighter Alpha Zero 2, but one of my favorites which I think also fits this bill is Seiken Densetsu 3! :TU:

Also Rendering Ranger R2 (I really liked this one as well, pushed the limits of SNES!)

Some games like Rendering Rangers are not too demanding in technical terms : but they included many "tricks" regarding graphics like taking a screenshot from a synthesis image, then recolored and redisigned it (that was a pretty rare thing, often they just copied the thing and that's all).

I tried it, the game is pretty good but not extraordinary, but graphisms scotch you to continue playing lol.

There's also tons of Megadrive games that pushed the console limit.
I already mentioned "Toy Story" color system and "Contra : Hard Corps" which is super fast and looks 100% like an arcade games with all those sprites and special effects.

Now the game you posted i misunderstood the name often with a Megadrive game which pushed the limits too : Rangers X. Looking at it, i don't know in what they pushed the limits, there's others games technically more complex.
Also, to me the best horizontal Shoot-them-up of all time, arcade 100% too : Thunder Force 4

Rangers X (its a shoot but you can separate the driver or transform your vassel in a tank)

Thunder Force 4, no comment needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note about one particular console :

1671044622368.png

I just learn the specs on full power... And that console is a bit stronger than the PS1, no joke (more polygons like 500.000 vs 550.000,1 vs 1.6 special ship relative to the rams etc.)
BUT it was so hard for the developers to conceive a game on it... That it failed.

Now, if you look at Virtua Fighter II : the game is on high resolution, no idea how much it was for the time (900 pixels vertical?) and super close to arcade
Sega Rally Port was also very impressive as Gran Turismo... But GT don't have to manage the decor behind, races are simple

Virtua Fighter II ARCADE VS SATURN

Sega Rally ARCADE VS SATURN

Note that the Model 2 was as powerful as a Dreamcast ;).

That's what the Saturn was able to do.
If they didn't added 2 chip and transformed the console in a Rubicube... It would have been a success. Sonic would have been released in 3D but was cancelled (due to programming) etc.
... But i still believe than the PS1 would have won at the final, they created tons of exclusives. Well we will never know ;)

Sega Saturn is kind of a "mystery" console to me (actually most of the 32 bit generation is!), since I never owned one or played it! made the jump from SNES to N64 and PS1 games directly.. But the 32 bit generation looks so interesting and looks like it has some really fun games. :) I've been looking to start exploring its catalog.. Taking a look at it it has a nice variety of genres, action/adventure, BTA, RPG, racing, etc.. I'd love to explore and see if I can find some Final Fight/Streets of Rage games, (maybe start with these, and move on to other genres as well)! I think 32 bit is a very underrated generation of games..

This is one that caught my eye immediately! :TU:

PS: I do remember playing Virtua Fighter on the Arcade several times but never on console. Amazing game which is very well done.

Last edited:
I get a Saturn on loan, nothing to say but Sega know how to do design their console (to me the most beautiful console until... Know. I don't see any other so classy)

Yes, the Saturn was first made for Arcade 32 bits and some polygons games but not "full 3D" at first. It's the second best console of 16-32 bits generation which rivalise with Neo Geo in 16 bits, Saturn got more effects, and with the RAM card to add behind for many games, it was Arcade perfect.
On comparisonS from Arcade games, every ports were rated more on Saturn than on PSX. But we didn't see any of it on your old TV lol, was the same for people.

Then, Sega was pretty sure about their console (you can check the story) after they saw the PS1 demonstration a micro-poop on the Sega producer appeared on their pants like magic : it was still in construction but close to be out, they added 2 chips on last minutes on it to handle 3D aswell.

But even if they could reproduce what a PS1 could do, programming was way, way too hard. Last minutes, 4 chips to handle many different stuffs, in comparison the PSX was as easy for a console developper to create a game like on on PC...

It's not really people who left and quit the Saturn, but the devs in fact. Only SEGA games shows how that console was capable of...
Well, not Virtua Fighter / the very best version is on 32x by far, neighter Virtua Racing and Daytona : the 3 first games at launch that even Sega didn't know how to program correctly lol. Until Sega Rally.

But as you love 2D actions games @millossobek : you can check on the Saturn catalog there's tons of exclusives and enhanced ports (better than arcade)

Back
Top Bottom