The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Unexpectedly I'm actually pretty hyped to play this again in its full glory on PS5. I'm close to finishing Elden Ring for the second time and this will tide me over nicely until DLC hits.

If anyone knows ... is it going to be possible to jump into an ongoing old campaign and enjoy next-gen goodies, visuals at least? Or is starting a new campaign going to be mandatory?

edit: found some info on IGN's wiki, seems to be a mixed bag:
The easiest way to jump back into The Witcher 3 is to load an old save file from wherever you last left off. If you're upgrading to the next-gen version on Xbox or PC, you should be able to simply install the update file, launch the game and load your save. If you're playing on PlayStation 5, however, you'll need to download the PS5 version of the game rather than simply updating the PS4 version.

But then the next passage says:

Using Original Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Saves on Next-Gen​

Unfortunately, it seems that it will not be possible to import save data from previous editions of The Witcher 3. Only save files from the Game of the Year/Complete Editions of The Witcher 3 are compatible with the next-gen version, ...

Last edited:
Yeah I just downloaded the PS4 version as well to see if there was a way to transfer the saves, but even that came up empty, like I didn't have any saves at all. I supposed it's possible that I forgot to upload them to the cloud when I got a PS5, but according to the IGN stuff above even that would not change anything. I finished it a while ago, but I had a lot of side stuff in Skellige I never got to. I don't have another 300+ hours to replay this game so I guess this is the end of the line for me and The Witcher 3 then 😔

Does anyone know if the free upgrade works cross platform? I've got it on PC and have had it for years. However I want to continue on PS5 since that is the more practical and powerful machine.

They did say Game Saves will be cross platform even, as long as you register to some Witcher Overlord account, or something..

I was planning to replay this game for a long time, as I never even reached 50% in my previous run and skipped the starting area altogether by accident.
So this patch has me hyped for months now.

Only question is - where to play it and in which mode, but I think I'll go Series X and performance mode.

If anyone knows ... is it going to be possible to jump into an ongoing old campaign and enjoy next-gen goodies, visuals at least? Or is starting a new campaign going to be mandatory?

edit: found some info on IGN's wiki, seems to be a mixed bag:

But then the next passage says:
I figured it out!

You have to "claim rewards" on both versions, you will be prompted to do this I think when you start the game. You can log into GOG with the link provided, use a phone or whatever. The rewards will show up. Now, with your old PS4 game, start the game and play from your most recent save or whatever save you want to start with on PS5. Maybe you can manually save at this point, but I just walked around for a bit until I saw the autosave icon. Now, when you go to load or save, you will see a cloud icon beside your latest save. That means it has entered cloud city. Load up the PS5 version and you can now load the game.
This does require both versions to be installed which can be a hassle. I also made sure that I had installed both DLCs in both versions as well so everything would be as compatible as possible.

Last edited:
Im over 50hrs in, further than I've ever been. Was afraid it will be exhausting, especially knowing that I have good few new games I want to play, but I got drawn into it - big time.

Didnt even touch both DLCs yet and few of my mates said they are the best DLCs ever created, so looking forward to them as well.

One thing I wanted to mention. Im very impressed how they managed to merge flow of the story with dialog options.
Normally when the game has dialog options - its a risk to the overall rhythm.
Lets take Last of Us, as an example. You just watch cutscenes and if they are well done, with good voice acting and animations - its great.
But when all this is chopped with dialog options - its difficult to keep the flow and immersion.
Here, before a big battle, build up was so well done! I felt like I was watching a movie, while I still had an impact on how the battle will play out and what plan we should execute.
Rarely in games you can feel like a part of the story, rather than awkward, necessary addition.

Im over 50hrs in, further than I've ever been. Was afraid it will be exhausting, especially knowing that I have good few new games I want to play, but I got drawn into it - big time.

Didnt even touch both DLCs yet and few of my mates said they are the best DLCs ever created, so looking forward to them as well.

One thing I wanted to mention. Im very impressed how they managed to merge flow of the story with dialog options.
Normally when the game has dialog options - its a risk to the overall rhythm.
Lets take Last of Us, as an example. You just watch cutscenes and if they are well done, with good voice acting and animations - its great.
But when all this is chopped with dialog options - its difficult to keep the flow and immersion.
Here, before a big battle, build up was so well done! I felt like I was watching a movie, while I still had an impact on how the battle will play out and what plan we should execute.
Rarely in games you can feel like a part of the story, rather than awkward, necessary addition.
That's an apt description really. There's some open world games that are mile wide and an inch deep. Witcher 3 is both very broad and deep at the same time. Everything oozes quality and that goes for dialogue input and output as well.

If you haven't touched the DLC yet, you're in for a massive treat :) enjoy the ride!

enjoy the ride
Thanks! I will. Im lvl31 now and playing it the way I would have acted. I find it the best way to immerse myself.
My choices already kicked me in the arse few times, which was great to see.
Also - crafted myself a Witcher TV show armor and although its not the best looking one - I like it and it adds another layer of immersion. This time im playing it properly - spending some time on crafting and alchemy, without going too deep into it, just to keep myself occupied. Havent touch any other game for over 3 weeks now!

I would definitely recommend finishing the main story before the DLCs. Every one of them has such a great core story that it would be a bit of shame to mix them up I think.

I've played it just for a few hours, so I can't have a full picture on how W3 could be. I don't know very much what is all about; from what I saw it's a cool game...

Witcher 3.jpg

Joking... :LOL: I did the 100% completionism thing some years ago in a single playthrough. I'll do it again of course because of that remastered update, and how impactful feels on Geralt's decisions via roleplay. This game has 36 different endings, and besides that, those side quests and both expansions are even better than the main plot (are so captivating, long and intense like playing a new witcher game in the franchise), so you shouldn't ignore any of them...

I'm sure after you'll play the Hearts of Stone expansion (being familiarized with the main villain) without spoiling it, you'll think very loudly: "what the fuck !!!"

I'll do it again of course because of that remastered update
Yeah its well worth it. Game looks gorgeous now and new camera angle is very immersive. I always thought original Witcher camera was too far away. This one makes chopping off limbs ever more satisfying.

I guess what also helps keeping me in the zone are Witcher audiobooks that I started recently. They are all on youtube. Just needed to google in which order to play them. Finishing book 2. Its a great way to pass time when driving to/from work.

Yeah its well worth it. Game looks gorgeous now and new camera angle is very immersive. I always thought original Witcher camera was too far away. This one makes chopping off limbs ever more satisfying.

I guess what also helps keeping me in the zone are Witcher audiobooks that I started recently. They are all on youtube. Just needed to google in which order to play them. Finishing book 2. Its a great way to pass time when driving to/from work.

Not to mention that fabulous soundtrack... When I'm thinking about Witcher 3, the first part that kicks in my head is the music fading slowly with an emotional vibe watching those graphics with the sun going off the sky during those colorful evening skies when I'm exploring all those woods, hills or mountains:

... or when I was at a tavern:

... or when I was in a intense combat situation giving me some badass goose bumps during the action:

Don't have words to describe my full 400+ experience... Just a memorable game in everything. The only game for me that was so immersive as W3 reaching those high standards and surpassing it was just Elden Ring (that btw, I also have 400 hours in it :LOL:). Witcher III is a PURE MASTERPIECE in any shape or form... :LOVE:

Hold on, there's a new camera angle as well,? Hmmm

What order do these audiobooks go in what's first might give it a go thanks

What order do these audiobooks go in what's first might give it a go thanks
Screenshot_20230129_095921_Chrome.jpg
This is what I follow.
The guy reading it is quite decent. Does all different accents (including mandatory Scottish dwarfs :LOL: ) and even sings Dandelions songs!
His Geralt mumbles a bit, but I got used to it.

Each book is about 10hrs long, but youtube remembers where you were, so just search "witcher audiobooks" and continue on whenever you fancy.

This is what I follow.
The guy reading it is quite decent. Does all different accents (including mandatory Scottish dwarfs :LOL: ) and even sings Dandelions songs!
His Geralt mumbles a bit, but I got used to it.

Each book is about 10hrs long, but youtube remembers where you were, so just search "witcher audiobooks" and continue on whenever you fancy.
Brilliant thanks for this appreciate it

Read somewhere that cdpr were preparing a big update for consoles concerning issues with pop ins, framerate and others. Honestly, if it was playable on rtr on, id have given it a bash, but 4k 60fps on series x wasnt as appealing.

Im about 85hrs in now, finished main story, Heart of Stone DLC and Im about half way through Blood&Wine (which is so good that it should be separate game).

Obviously there are still lots of contracts and sidequests left, but I never was one for 100% completion. So Im nearly there.

And I feel like at this point I can already say that, from storytelling point of view, its - by far - the best game I have ever played.
No other game was so consequences heavy.
But its not just decisions/consequences mechanics that make this game so amazing. It goes much deeper than that.

Its the fact that all other games that try to introduce consequences - do it in quite predictable way. You spare a guy - you get some honor. Or he will help you later.
Or he will tell you some secret.
Even Mass Effect, which I absolutely loved, consequences were shallow and one dimensional. Yes - they did change the story a bit, but in a predictable way.

In here - its a complete mystery. I dont know how many times I was stuck on a simple dialog option, because I knew that my answer can cause an absolute calamity. And the worst part was - I didnt know how.
I was sitting there, analysing what can happen after. Trying to prefict every scenario, so it didnt come back to haunt me. Because simple, insignificant dialogs can be the difference between life and death of fucking everyone, not only the person you are talking to.

Truth be told - I made a lot of wrong choices and barely scraped by to get a good ending in main story.
And only because
I was a good dad for Ciri. My support for her kept alive, even tho I have fucked up with all others, who could have helped to save her.

No other game was able to bring such complex scenarios, where often you really cant tell whats gonna happen.

Masterpiece.

Been playing this one off and one for a few years now. Recently did the ps5 upgrade/update and got into it again.
So far I have finished the main game and hearts of stone.
Don't want to do Blood & Wine just yet, so I'm now just roaming the country exploring the question marks.

It just feels so good riding my horse and looking at the beautiful scenery. I absolutely love the music, it's so relaxing too.
Love Skellige, the mountains, the lakes.
No other game has drawn me in as much as this one.
Without a doubt the best game I have ever played.

I cant get into this. Either. Every open world game after the first 2-3 hours loses its weight for me. I also stopped playing Spiderman Miles Morales too.
I might be crazy.

Hi fellas, do someone can recommend me some "must have" mods on nexusmods for the game on steam? If anyone of the evowebers playing it still yet.

Thanks in advance.

And big EDIT: how to instal these mods to the game?

Back
Top Bottom