Thoughts on best FIFA just on the field?

I always felt like the World Cup specific games played best over the years. 2010 was probably the best of the bunch, but I think 2014 also played very realistic on the pitch. Maybe the WC-branded games had better gameplay because the development team didn't have to focus on so many other things (stadiums, kits, etc.).

I always felt like the World Cup specific games played best over the years. 2010 was probably the best of the bunch, but I think 2014 also played very realistic on the pitch. Maybe the WC-branded games had better gameplay because the development team didn't have to focus on so many other things (stadiums, kits, etc.).
The World Cup games ALWAYS looked better and played better and I never understaood why that didn't carry over to the next year. I played 2010 the other day with the start of the World Cup rosters I created and it was still so much fun even though mostly everyone is retired now.

Which football game for you was the best in terms of organic and AI, fifa 14, fifa 16 or PES6? I tried to play them all and I still find myself back in PES6, it seems to me the most pleasant and cool to play!

Which football game for you was the best in terms of organic and AI, fifa 14, fifa 16 or PES6? I tried to play them all and I still find myself back in PES6, it seems to me the most pleasant and cool to play!
You need to start your own thread. This isnt about PES and you're changing the subject of the question. 👍

#1 FIFA 16 PC: Because of the responsiveness
#2 FIFA 23 Swtich: it's a FIFA 16 with added movements, what I really appreciate.
#3 FIFA 14/15 PC
#4 FIFA 08/10 Xbox 360: far from the other ones, but I had a great time playing them

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's so funny how polarising sports games can be when it comes to specific years. In the NBA 2K series there are some people that passionately insist 2K11 is the greatest game ever and others that claim it's the worst. In the NHL series, you get the same thing with NHL2004. In Baseball, some people absolutely adore 2K12 and others think it's awful. And I feel like FIFA 16 is the same. There are people who absolutely adore it and others who think it's one of the worst FIFAs. Very interesting.

Just in case it helps, for me it's:

#1: FIFA 18
#2: FIFA 17
#3: FIFA 16
#4: FIFA 14

I still play a LOT of FIFA 18, I absolutely adore the gameplay. The only thing that feels overpowered are long shots, but the rest feels incredible. FIFA 17 is a bit more stiff, but it's very similar. I'm not a BIG fan of 16 and 14 because sometimes they feel more erratic, but if that makes it feel more realistic for you then those two can also do the job. I feel that the best gameplay era is between 17-19, having played since 2011.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's so funny how polarising sports games can be when it comes to specific years. In the NBA 2K series there are some people that passionately insist 2K11 is the greatest game ever and others that claim it's the worst. In the NHL series, you get the same thing with NHL2004. In Baseball, some people absolutely adore 2K12 and others think it's awful. And I feel like FIFA 16 is the same. There are people who absolutely adore it and others who think it's one of the worst FIFAs. Very interesting.
I think there are few PES games who have that same treatment, 2013 and 2014 come to mind. There are people that both love and hate them both from what I've seen :LMAO:

After playing A LOT of FIFA the last few weeks, it's probably time to re-think my rankings. Here are my top 5 at the moment, although this might be subject to change!

#1. FIFA 16
#2. FIFA 19
#3. FIFA 14
#4. FIFA 23 (Switch version only)
#5. FIFA 11

I have to give FIFA 17 and 18 more playing time, so my opinion on those games is still not fully formed. But for now, these are my rankings. :)

After playing A LOT of FIFA the last few weeks, it's probably time to re-think my rankings. Here are my top 5 at the moment, although this might be subject to change!

#1. FIFA 16
#2. FIFA 19
#3. FIFA 14
#4. FIFA 23 (Switch version only)
#5. FIFA 11

I have to give FIFA 17 and 18 more playing time, so my opinion on those games is still not fully formed. But for now, these are my rankings. :)
FIFA 19?? Above 14 and 11?
This is vanilla... or modded? Has to be modded right?
I understand that 19 was the last Fifa before 1v1 swamped in 20 and got really bad 21 onwards, but 19 being THAT high, is really surprising.

Do you have any videos of gameplay or reasons as to why its that high? I remember playing 19 for a while in 2021 - I remember it being a very easy game - it wasn't awful , it was ok ish but very easy and a bit boring honestly.

But talking about updating rankings, I think last time I probably placed 14 or 11 as my top FIFA?
Well its been a while, and more time spent with 14 , 15, 16 , 17 (and a little with 20) later:
* I'll elaborate

1. FIFA 16
2. FIFA 15*
3. FIFA 14
4. FIFA 11 (PC)*
5. FIFA 17*
6. FIFA 18
7. FIFA 19
8. FIFA 20

Now I know FIFA 15, is maybe a surprise, and maybe even too "arcady" / fast for a lot of Realism (Masochism) Enjoyers or Simulation Enjoyers - of which I am too, only partially - it has a really good balance. It has a really good balance between Defending and Attack, I think I've said this about 3000 times here about FIFA 15 - but it is just true. The midfield because of this is very proactive , both up and down the field - compared to 16 where its a bit more of an Attacking Midfield, compared to the more Box-to-Box nature of 15's midfield.

On the topic of 17, I think its not too bad. I infact really really liked it first time I played it after years a few weeks back.. Fouls, AI, Midfield etc. I even really forgot about that Ball Size people hate.. and hence its right behind 11 - but it tends to be very inconsistent with how games play out. At least in terms of stats. A very similar score like 3-2, has produced a game with 20+ tackles and 8 fouls for me - and also produced a game with like 15 tackles and 2 fouls. But still a nice game.

The reason FIFA 11 - at least PC version - drops for me is, its a really good game for its time , but you can feel the limitations while playing it. I'm sure its better on the PS3 / 360, but PC version is lacking a bit - Still a really good game. FIFA 14 is basically the less true-to-life version of 15 and 16 combined so its quite good.

18 I remember being easy too , similar to 19, but it was sort of challenging on Legendary, if I remember correctly. 20 gets really boring to me after a bit, I know this because I've spent so much time on it trying to do everything. I gave up. And to think that 21/22 are worse...

@cleanslate Can't really explain it yet in a "substantial" way bro! :) All I know is that I've really enjoyed My Player Career, it always gives me that "next match" feeling, and I've also played quite a bit of exhibitions, which I've also really liked. The best way I can explain it is, it feels really fun and right to me. Then again, I haven't played Career Mode with a team or any long-term tournaments or Cups, but I've very much liked the rhythm of the game (a bit faster but still I feel it is balanced)! All I'm using is Operation Sports sliders, no gameplay mods, but to my playing style it just "feels" very enjoyable, pacey and dynamic but still with midfield battles! I know also not strictly "gameplay related" but I really really love the game's presentation!

The only gameplay I've recorded so far is in My Player Career, maybe not a good way to see the gameplay overall since I'm only controlling one player (Milo Mugosa is an invented Montenegrin striker playing for Admira Wacker in the Austrian Bundesliga. He is the "invented" younger brother of one of my favorite players, Stefan Mugosa, who plays for Incheon United in the K-League!), and it doesn't really show the overall gameplay, only a couple of goals, but I've uploaded it anyway. :LOL:

Last edited:
@cleanslate Can't really explain it yet in a "substantial" way bro! :) All I know is that I've really enjoyed My Player Career, it always gives me that "next match" feeling, and I've also played quite a bit of exhibitions, which I've also really enjoyed. The best way I can explain it is, it feels really fun and right to me. Then again, I haven't played Career Mode with a team or any long-term tournaments or Cups, but I've very much enjoyed the rhythm of the game (a bit faster but still I feel it is balanced)! All I'm using is Operation Sports sliders, no gameplay mods, but to my playing style it just "feels" very enjoyable, pacey and dynamic but still with midfield battles! I know also not strictly "gameplay related" but I really really love the game's presentation!

The only gameplay I've recorded so far is in My Player Career, maybe not a good way to see the gameplay overall since I'm only controlling one player (Milo Mugosa is an invented Montenegrin striker playing for Admira Wacker in the Austrian Bundesliga. He is the "invented" younger brother of one of my favorite players, Stefan Mugosa, who plays for Incheon United in the K-League!), and it doesn't really show the overall gameplay, only a couple of goals, but I've uploaded it anyway. :LOL:

Nice goals there. What i love about recent FIFAs, from 2016 to 2020, is the shoot variations and possible outcomes, when you shoot, mostly inside the PK box. Feeling that in the other game, the ways a shoot can result to a goal, are bery limited, i would say about 3 or 5 specific sequences where the ball goes inside.

I don't include the body stance, or the general context, but starting from the point that the foot kicks the ball , to the end point where ball lands.

I've been giving a whirl to old FIFA games, comparing to FIFA 16 which was always my favorite. However on console where I cant mod to EXE 1.00 I am finding FIFA14 very enjoyable. I find it plays really nice and at least fully patched for me has been able to find a middle ground in the AI difficulty as where in FIFA16 sometimes the ping pong tiki taka in WC was a bit too much while professional was too easy.

What really surprised me was FIFA 14 in PC (not ignite), I dont know if its because its different but I find it hard to create chances and pretty fun.
FIFA 15 is fun, but I can def tell its a bit more arcady and fast, still a good time and the AI really goes all in when they are down

How different is the next gen version of FIFA 14? I've only played the pc port and wasn't a fan of how unresponsive the dribbling felt. But I've enjoyed fifa 16, is the next gen version of 14 has similarities with 16?

How different is the next gen version of FIFA 14? I've only played the pc port and wasn't a fan of how unresponsive the dribbling felt. But I've enjoyed fifa 16, is the next gen version of 14 has similarities with 16?
I saw people here says that 14 has better physicalty and inertia than 16. Actually i don't agree. In my opinion PS4's version fifa 14 is really good. It Is quite responsive,but the dribbling is not as sharp as on 16. Plus the first touch physics is way more dull. What i prefer about 14 over 16 is that it is more challenging, and it plays good even with default slide setup on both slow and normal Speed), while 16 needs way more tweaks.

I've updated my rig and started playing some old FIFA games again, specially FIFA 20 / 21.
And holy shit. It's incredible the difference between playing in old hardware at 60 fps (what I considered it was very acceptable) and playing the same game at +120 fps. Then I realized this better performance and the increased level of responsiveness is one of the reasons why I usually prefer older FIFA games.

@cleanslate Can't really explain it yet in a "substantial" way bro! :) All I know is that I've really enjoyed My Player Career, it always gives me that "next match" feeling, and I've also played quite a bit of exhibitions, which I've also really liked. The best way I can explain it is, it feels really fun and right to me. Then again, I haven't played Career Mode with a team or any long-term tournaments or Cups, but I've very much liked the rhythm of the game (a bit faster but still I feel it is balanced)! All I'm using is Operation Sports sliders, no gameplay mods, but to my playing style it just "feels" very enjoyable, pacey and dynamic but still with midfield battles! I know also not strictly "gameplay related" but I really really love the game's presentation!
For some reason I didn't see this, so here I am 4 months later :)

I was never into the controlling 1 player thing so that might also play into the experience of the gameplay and all.. but do you still like it 4 months later?

I think last fifa I could tolerate was 18 even though I could tell it was scripted. FIFA 19 I remember felt just easy. FIFA 20 felt like neither my players or the AI gave a shit*. Haven't played a new fifa really properly since (or bought one)

* This is all how I felt after a long time with those games, not my initial memory or thoughts of those games.

So personally, for me, its between FIFA 10/11, 14,15,16 for on the pitch FIFAs. Haven't played 12, I thought 13 was way too fucking fast for me, although slowed down it would definitely feel more like football than anything 19/20 and onwards.

# 17 - some of the best attacking AI and the best Frostbite version without mods
# 12/13 - balanced but old school mechanics
# 19 - most balanced of the recent memory and it shows when you can apply a locale.ini mod only to fix small AI issues
do u recommend reinstalling for career mode? and fix ai issues?

d
Thanks for all the replies, guys.
I've been playing FIFA since FIFA International Soccer, as most of you probably have as well. And despite the fact that we all actively compain about one thing or another with the series, I believe it's the only EA Sports property that has come to be a game that has improved over time and is still a strongly playable game, which I don't believe can be said of their other sports titles (small exception for Rugby which isn't around any longer but was always an amazing game).

14 - I've always loved 14, especially when that Classics Patch was made. But on a purely personal level it's also one of the only FIFAs where I haven't been able to create my mod that disables/turns off all injuries. The setting isn't in any ini file I've ever been able to find. So because I like to play with no fantasty injuries or transfers, 14 becomes a bit unplayable to me. The sliders as you surely all know have never turned them off only lessened them, even at 0.
16 - Bitter sweet situation with it, modding was -- I believe -- at its peak with 16. The MW mod made the game incredible. But I spent a long time struggling to get sliders to do good things for the game and it was starting to feel like being able to override default elements in the game was slipping away from our control. Not until @paulv2k4 's mods a couple of years later did FIFA become fully playable again. but 16 was excellent. I just feel the constant struggle with sliders is why I spent most of that year with PES 2016 instead.
19 - Again, with Paul's mod, this is probably in my opinion in the top 2 FIFAs.

The reason I was asking this is to know what others think to see if I've maybe missed something. I'm not surprised the number of people that like 16, it's a solid game. I'm surprised more people didn't mention 19. I think games are too subjective for their modes, which is why I was asking JUST about on the field action.
doesnt 19 have the midfield not tracking back issue? or is it decent game?

I remember not understanding why everyone hated it so much. Didn't make sense.
I feel the same about 16, actually. Felt a bit like an action game version of FIFA and it's the game I spent most time with sliders desperately trying to make it work better.
You should play 14 a bit just to see how it feels. Raw, no mods, just straight up. Would be really interested in your thoughts on it.
(Which PES do you like?)
is fifa 14 pc same as ps4?

Nice goals there. What i love about recent FIFAs, from 2016 to 2020, is the shoot variations and possible outcomes, when you shoot, mostly inside the PK box. Feeling that in the other game, the ways a shoot can result to a goal, are bery limited, i would say about 3 or 5 specific sequences where the ball goes inside.

I don't include the body stance, or the general context, but starting from the point that the foot kicks the ball , to the end point where ball lands.
Brilliantly said, so.many variations in fifa sequences to score, this is my main gripe.in the other game

For some reason I didn't see this, so here I am 4 months later :)

I was never into the controlling 1 player thing so that might also play into the experience of the gameplay and all.. but do you still like it 4 months later?

I think last fifa I could tolerate was 18 even though I could tell it was scripted. FIFA 19 I remember felt just easy. FIFA 20 felt like neither my players or the AI gave a shit*. Haven't played a new fifa really properly since (or bought one)

* This is all how I felt after a long time with those games, not my initial memory or thoughts of those games.

So personally, for me, its between FIFA 10/11, 14,15,16 for on the pitch FIFAs. Haven't played 12, I thought 13 was way too fucking fast for me, although slowed down it would definitely feel more like football than anything 19/20 and onwards.
Sorry for the super late reply!

I haven't played my Player Career in a few months, but not for gameplay reasons, but because I've been much more involved in my other ML stories. :) But my plan is to come back to it soon. It may sound boring to some, but I've loved playing as a striker, waiting for my chances, goal poaching and looking for an advantage. Another thing I like about FIFA 19 is that there seems to be more freedom to dribble, as in other FIFAS I have to tweak the sliders a bit to give myself more room and/or have my team pressure the CPU. To me FIFA 19 is high in the fun factor and I've really enjoyed scoring a variety of goals. :)

Back
Top Bottom