Tranmere Rovers Thread

@Chris Davies I’ve always wondered, what is the Tranmere fanbase relationship with Everton and Liverpool like?

Is it a rivalry or a healthy relationship? Or a bit of both?

Eg. QPR fans hate Chelsea. The clubs have no time for each other despite being world’s apart in terms of success and wealth. But then Barnet have a good relationship with Arsenal and they usually arrange a pre-season friendly at Barnet’s stadium every year.
We have a pretty decent relationship - their fans hate each other (some in a "brotherly" way but as time goes on, less so), but seem to like us because we're a grass-roots team with a bit of history.

We've also had ex-players of both sides as our manager - one of whom being John Aldridge, who got us to the league cup final in 2000 (one of the best days of my life) - so we like them too!

We usually have a pre-season friendly with Liverpool at the start of each season, which Klopp attended the first time and was absolutely mobbed. More Liverpool fans than Tranmere fans turn up (because so many on the Wirral can't be arsed supporting a non-EPL team when there's two just over the Mersey).

We also loan their younger players occasionally - less so Everton's - so yeah, it's a decent relationship I think!

We have a pretty decent relationship - their fans hate each other (some in a "brotherly" way but as time goes on, less so), but seem to like us because we're a grass-roots team with a bit of history.

We've also had ex-players of both sides as our manager - one of whom being John Aldridge, who got us to the league cup final in 2000 (one of the best days of my life) - so we like them too!

We usually have a pre-season friendly with Liverpool at the start of each season, which Klopp attended the first time and was absolutely mobbed. More Liverpool fans than Tranmere fans turn up (because so many on the Wirral can't be arsed supporting a non-EPL team when there's two just over the Mersey).

We also loan their younger players occasionally - less so Everton's - so yeah, it's a decent relationship I think!

What's the view of Aldridge now? Read a few things about him that suggest he was/is an awful man.

What's the view of Aldridge now? Read a few things about him that suggest he was/is an awful man.
He's still loved here for what he did. He played for us and scored absolutely bags of goals (as did Pat Nevin years before) - then became manager, got us to the league cup final in 2000 (which was absolute dreamland for a club like us), and then got us relegated one year after (resigning just before it was confirmed).

It was a mixed bag, but he himself gave us much more than he took away (even if the relegation was the beginning of an absolutely horrendous slide out of league football altogether, and nearly ended us).

The view of his management skills is that basically, he was an excellent motivator but not a good tactician. Sir Alex in terms of the hairdryer, the sense of occasion and the determination on behalf of the fans, but none of the brains.

We came back from 3-0 down to beat Southampton 4-3 in what is often referred to as an archetypal FA Cup match, but from what I've read, it was largely because the players were absolutely lambasted on a whole new level at half time.

(I had tickets but had the flu, and was in bed watching on TV. I turned it off at half time and went to sleep. An hour later, I was woken up by the shouting of my dad as he walked through the door, "FOUR THREE!! FOUR THREE!!" and I realised what I'd missed.)

He's still loved here - anything that is said outside of that era isn't really heard on Merseyside, I don't think. He even has a weekly column in the Liverpool Echo that most seem to enjoy.

He's still loved here for what he did. He played for us and scored absolutely bags of goals (as did Pat Nevin years before) - then became manager, got us to the league cup final in 2000 (which was absolute dreamland for a club like us), and then got us relegated one year after (resigning just before it was confirmed).

It was a mixed bag, but he himself gave us much more than he took away (even if the relegation was the beginning of an absolutely horrendous slide out of league football altogether, and nearly ended us).

The view of his management skills is that basically, he was an excellent motivator but not a good tactician. Sir Alex in terms of the hairdryer, the sense of occasion and the determination on behalf of the fans, but none of the brains.

We came back from 3-0 down to beat Southampton 4-3 in what is often referred to as an archetypal FA Cup match, but from what I've read, it was largely because the players were absolutely lambasted on a whole new level at half time.

(I had tickets but had the flu, and was in bed watching on TV. I turned it off at half time and went to sleep. An hour later, I was woken up by the shouting of my dad as he walked through the door, "FOUR THREE!! FOUR THREE!!" and I realised what I'd missed.)

He's still loved here - anything that is said outside of that era isn't really heard on Merseyside, I don't think. He even has a weekly column in the Liverpool Echo that most seem to enjoy.

When you read about players leaving the game or getting to the brink of suicide because of his treatment you do wonder just how bad it was; especially given that was a different era, when such motivational tactics were more commonplace.

I saw someone being interviewed for a podcast (I think it was a Tranmere-specific one) who painted a pretty grim picture of life as a young player at Tranmere during his reign. Not only Aldridge, but the senior pros in the squad.

I would've absolutely caved in that environment!

Interesting, thanks mate.

I see you’ve poached Logan “supernintendo” Chalmers from his loan at Ayr. Capable of creating something from nothing and some lovely skill (look at his goal against Partick and the set up for an assist v Raith last month) but equally capable of being anonymous for large spells. Sad to see him go, hoped he would finish the season at least with Ayr but I don’t think he’s necessarily un-replaceable in terms of work rate. Not sure that league two and the Scottish Championship are miles apart in terms of standard but definitely they are in terms of finances, so good luck to the lad. That’s a couple ex Ayr players down that way now…

I see you’ve poached Logan “supernintendo” Chalmers from his loan at Ayr. Capable of creating something from nothing and some lovely skill (look at his goal against Partick and the set up for an assist v Raith last month) but equally capable of being anonymous for large spells. Sad to see him go, hoped he would finish the season at least with Ayr but I don’t think he’s necessarily un-replaceable in terms of work rate. Not sure that league two and the Scottish Championship are miles apart in terms of standard but definitely they are in terms of finances, so good luck to the lad. That’s a couple ex Ayr players down that way now…

Really hoping nothing derails Ayr's or Queens Park's season. Basically anyone other than Dundee or either Thistle getting promoted. Would love to see something different in the top flight!

Cheers for this, I was going to see if I could find some thoughts on Chalmers through Twitter but you've saved me a job!

Re: Ayr players coming down this way - I think it's the Micky Mellon connection. Not only does he seem to have a few talent-spotters up there but he managed Dundee United for a short spell (fairly poorly, if the match reports are anything to go by).

Tranmere are in a bit of trouble at the moment. The chairman put out a statement pre-transfer-window along the lines of "we know our problem, we're creating chances and not finishing them, and we promise we will bring in a strong finisher before the window shuts"...

...which was refreshing AND alarming at the same time. Nice to hear a club being open about their transfer window goals, but also, odd hearing it from the chairman and not the manager (and also, will that not raise a few asking prices, if clubs suddenly know we're desperate for strikers).

But so far, we've brought in a defensive midfielder (Brad Walker) and, in Logan, a winger... As well as selling one of our most promising strikers. The fans are getting a bit nervous.

To be fair to Chalmers, he's great on the front foot and plays some great passes and get a great shot off.

I'm not entirely sure he's what you need in a relegation fight but he'll definitely get your attack firing better.

Really hoping nothing derails Ayr's or Queens Park's season. Basically anyone other than Dundee or either Thistle getting promoted. Would love to see something different in the top flight!
Hopefully. We've hit a sticky patch with injuries and dropped points lately but we are still there or thereabouts. Keeping Dipo will be massive for us.

I'm not too fussed on Queen's Park. They have a tiny fanbase and are bankrolled by a sugar daddy, spending well beyond what they generate. Anyone who followed the Gretna "fairytale" will know it won't necessarily end well.

Back
Top Bottom