VAR is destroying my soul

I honestly think VAR is a good thing. It had a terrible start, but its slowly getting better. The fact that they are now asking ref to go and have a look himself is a good thing. Its what they should always do.

There is one big problem with VAR. On the slow mo - small little touch quite often looks like a big foul. Refs are being mislead by it and quite often call fouls for nothing. Especially when you have all the actors diving.
Rules should be somewhat relaxed and they shouldnt look at every millimetre and every little touch, coz its getting ridiculous.
Speaking of diving actors - VAR should also work retrospectively. If they see on a replay that some mupped is falling down over nothing - players should start getting little notes after the match - yellow card for diving.
Maybe all the divas would stop their dramatic performances if couple of them had to miss few matches coz of that.

Said right after the Moroccan goal got disallowed:)). I actually think it can be a good thing if the rules are made to be a bit more lenient

yeah, it was funny coincidence, but it really pissed me off when it was not used against belgium vs canada (it should have been another penalty) and between portugal vs ghana (it was not penalty for cr7). and again today with belgium vs morocco.

also rudiger's goal vs spain tonight...

only thing that actually works great with modern technology in football is goal line tech. and i like that.

Gone to another level today, Uruguay were robbed. Gimenez was using his hand to support himself, no intention there, he was just unfortunate that he made contact with the ball.

The worst part is the smug face and the body language of a referee who knows all the cameras are on him
image_2022-11-28_212115706.png

Gone to another level today, Uruguay were robbed. Gimenez was using his hand to support himself, no intention there, he was just unfortunate that he made contact with the ball.

The worst part is the smug face and the body language of a referee who knows all the cameras are on him
Is it really VAR or the new handball rule ?

Could be the new rule, you might argue that Gimenez's hand was in an unnatrual position, but in the context of a sliding tackle, it was in a natural position

Is the new handball universal across all leagues and international football? Cos I'm a bit confused.

I was sure that whether handball was "deliberate" or not was removed from the text of the rules, because of the argument that you can never truly know a player's intention (someone could intentionally and deliberately exaggerate a run or jump to make sure their arm/hand was covering a potential shot path, but if it was still in a "natural" position, nobody would know).

A quick Google (source here) seems to suggest this is correct:

The new rule falls into line with what is currently in use in the UEFA Champions League and major leagues across Europe. In its essence, it removes intent from the handball law. Therefore, if a defending player handles the ball in the penalty box with his arm away from his body, then a penalty will be given no matter if it’s accidental or deliberate.

But when that handball was given against Uruguay where the guy is propping himself up, the English (ITV) commentary team referred to the referee having to decide if it was intentional or not.

I mention all this because - you can see from the replays that, if the defender isn't propping himself up (if he somehow levitates), the ball is going straight through to the striker for a fairly easy goal. So in that sense, it's unfair, it's prevented a goal and I think a penalty is the right thing to do. If that was the 90th minute of England v Wales and Grealish was stopped from threading the ball through to Kane by a Wales defender's arm... I'd sure as shit want a penalty.

BUT... if that's not why the penalty was given - if it was only given because the referee seriously judged it as deliberate, as the ITV commentators said... then that's clearly an absolutely terrible decision.

EDIT: I suspect the ITV commentators just had no idea what they were talking about.

However, IFAB issued this example of what is and isn't a penalty under the current handball rules, and... it clearly shouldn't have been awarded, by their own laws (source here):

vaFER37.png

new football rules past years specially about the hand and the VAR are 2 opposite things and they don't serve the same thing .also the VAR they don't use it as a VAR concept that all ppl think .
I think VAR is more useful to punish referees since the last ones are always > VAR .

yeah, another idiotism caused by var. this needs to stop or football could become another basketball.

it's better to have additional two assistent refs on both sides of the goals instead of this.

but, on the other hand, maybe it is not all for var to blame, new rules should be blamed too. also it seems that using var is not defined like it should be, since we see it is used randomly.

Back
Top Bottom