Winning Eleven (1995 - 2022) Tier List

MKC

Garra! Força! Tradição!
16 May 2019
Curitiba, Brazil
Coritiba F.C.
I don't know how everyone here feels about tier lists, but I've always found them to be charming in a way, a fun distraction when you have some time to spare, they're a good way to visually represent one's thoughts about an interest, ranking things without having to choose a specific order for all elements present. Well, since this is a forum dedicated to football video games above anything else, especially Konami's main football franchise that we all know and love, I thought it'd be fun to see how everyone's tier lists would look like, how we all rank the installments in our beloved Winning Eleven franchise from 1995 all the way to today.

I'll start with mine, and I know that, from the get go, it looks quite off, I mean, where are all of the PS2 PES installments? Well... I only played PES6, though all of them are in my bucket list, for sure, all I need is a PC that can run PS2 emulation without lagging much and I'll be good to go... hopefully soon. I'd say the PS1 reached perfection after WE3FV, so all of them from that point onward are 5* to me, alongside PES2011, which was a true simulator, and PES2012, Seabass' swan song that managed to do some things better than its predecessor, even if it did some worse here and there. 4* starts with PES6 because it's been a long time since I've played it in a more serious manner, even though it was excellent, PES2013's here because it had no League Mode, and all of FOX PES' here because of a lack of fouls and the introduction of micro transactions into the franchise. 3* has a couple of titles I find to be good and fun, but too clunky to be truly enjoyable in the long run. 2* has the original because it was a rough start, and PES2014 because of the way it launched, which hurt the franchise quite a lot in my eyes. 1* has eFootball, which plays well on the pitch, but it's a disaster in every other way, perhaps eFootball2024 can climb up those tiers when it comes out, we'll see...

Here's the link:
https://tiermaker.com/create/winning-eleven-1995---2022-15499885

Attachments

• Winning Eleven (1995 - 2022).png
    Winning Eleven (1995 - 2022).png
    432.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
This is a cool idea, but the website won’t allow to share my tiers, tries to make me sign up for some bullshit.
I see, I believe you need to sign up in order to do things like saving into your account with other tier lists on the site, or sharing on social media more easily, but it's still possible to save your tier list into an image like I did if you'd like, all you have to do is click the blue "Save or Download" button under the tier list, and then click the gray "Download Image" button that pops up, and it'll be saved into your computer or phone as a .png file that you can post anywhere.
Computer passes too well, back heels, too fast. The grass looks awful, like plastic sheet.
PES2018 could've been a perfect installment if not for these things to me, it feels lovely when you have the ball, though that's standard for Fox Engine PES in general, but when you don't have it... defending against the same attack over and over gets quite stale, the same quick back heels to the striker until he plays a lobbed through ball to the wingers, all the while you're forced to look at a turf worse than the one in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.
But visually it’s probably the nicest looking W11 (on the field; menus are depressing)
I'll never understand how Konami made PES2019 look so good, with lighting and turfs that finally felt like the generational leap we were waiting for... only to regress so much in PES2020/2021 and eFootball2022/2023 after it, I mean, if it ain't broken... then don't fix it! Konami really dropped the ball there, I loved the way PES2019's turfs looked, alongside the lovely lighting, I hope eFootball can look as good as that in the future, or even better, though I'm pessimistic.
Tier 5: eunuchFootball - still don’t understand wtf that was supposed to be.
I feel like eFootball2022 and eFootball2023 will both be in the last tier for most people here, and it's fair, afterall it felt like a genuine betrayal, while also not having anything for offline players even after a year, I'd say both had versions where they played fine on the pitch, but having all settings be limited on offline, no modes, awful graphics, running poorly... I could go on and on, anyways just a disaster for Konami on all fronts, I don't know if they can recover from it.

For me putting PES 2011/12 so high is ridiculous... About PES 2011... to some extent I can understand, it was a new and fresh start after Disasters PES 2010, and it had interesting ideas and mechanics, but it's not a 5 or even 4-star game... but PES 2012 is one of the worst in the history of the PES series. It was so broken.
Haven't played the first versions of Winning Eleven, so I can't comment there, and I don't understand why you rated them so highly.

I agree with most of the ratings to be fair, just i always PES 6 as GOAT, for me.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: MKC
First I want to apologize to MKC. This is your personal list, when I think about it, I was quite emotional when I was making my list...these are the games that have brought the most emotions, it's not always related to being the BEST game.
You have the most fun/good memories of these games, for one reason or another, so I respect your opinion.

Screenshot-96.png

Last edited:
For me putting PES 2011/12 so high is ridiculous... About PES 2011... to some extent I can understand, it was a new and fresh start after Disasters PES 2010, and it had interesting ideas and mechanics, but it's not a 5 or even 4-star game... but PES 2012 is one of the worst in the history of the PES series. It was so broken.
Haven't played the first versions of Winning Eleven, so I can't comment there, and I don't understand why you rated them so highly.

I agree with most of the ratings to be fair, just i always PES 6 as GOAT, for me.
I definitely recommend giving PS1 Winning Eleven a try, the earlier ones might feel a little rough to play nowadays, but everything from WE3FV onward is superb, refreshingly simple, but respecting football's fundamentals more than a lot of modern stuff, Konami pulled off impressive feats for the hardware they were working on. About PES2012 specifically, it was my main football video game for 3 years, so while the flaws were infuriating to me at first, I sort of learned to get around it all, got used to it and with time everything started clicking, however I need to play on specific settings to get the most out of it, really.
First I want to apologize to MKC. This is your personal list, when I think about it, I was quite emotional when I was making my list...these are the games that have brought the most emotions, it's not always related to being the BEST game.
You have the most fun/good memories of these games, for one reason or another, so I respect your opinion.
No need to apologize, I recall finding PES2011 and PES2012 quite frustrating at first for a variety of reasons, so I understand why one might look at them rated so highly and find it odd, but I agree that a list like this really depends a lot on emotions and memories, which is why I rated a lot of installments higher than they deserved, and some lower, I'm sure that if I spent more time with PES6 it'd be 5* for me, or if I had spent less time trying to learn how to get the most out of PES2012 I might've rated it lower, either way that's the fun part I think, seeing everyone's special installments, and how different everyone is.

About your tier list, seeing eFootball 2022 and eFootball 2023 at the bottom will always be funny, and I have the feeling that it'll be the case in about 90% of the tier lists in this thread, maybe even 100% and Konami deserve it for messing it up so badly, they turned their backs on us and downright insulted us at points, so gaining back our trust and making us feel anything but resentment for these installments won't be an easy task, especially when it's still bare bones even a year later, with no modes for players that stuck around back when offline was the focus. A good list overall, I agree with most of it to be quite honest.

Cool Idea: Here is my list (PES 5 would be Tier 6* ;)
I can't help but feel that, looking at everyone's tier lists and seeing the patterns between them, that if/when I manage to play all of the PS2 era installments I missed, especially PES3 and PES5, my tier list itself could change dramatically, with these installments I mentioned specifically, I can't help but feel that I'd fall in love with them both, either way time will tell. Overall a very interesting tier list, it's interesting to see how opinions on specific installments can differ so much between people here, besides eFootball2022 and eFootball2023 at the bottom, that's probably the main recurring theme so far, and rightfully so I think.

1671739104082.png

Without thinking about it too much, here's mine. :)

I haven't played the editions outside of the tiers, so I can't rank them.

If international superstar soccer deluxe was in there, it would be in tier 4. :)

Last edited:
The results so far:
Nice work. :) I'd like to make a suggestion though.. How about averaging the votes and not counting the empty ones, that way you're not penalizing a game for "not being played" or not being included in the tiers?

For example, I haven't played the ones I left out, but that doesn't mean I give them a bad rating. :TU:

Nice work. :) I'd like to make a suggestion though.. How about averaging the votes and not counting the empty ones, that way you're not penalizing a game for "not being played" or not being included in the tiers?

For example, I haven't played the ones I left out, but that doesn't mean I give them a bad rating. :TU:
Yeah, in this algoritam, not picking the game is the worst what you can do for this game :D But let's also have the opposite situation, if someone plays a game, only he did it and gave it a 5, then if no one votes, then that game will have the highest rating and it won't be fair for these games which are played the most.

Reactions: MKC
btw, no one is wrong in their own personal opinion of a game 🙂.

No cap. The most important thing to remember here. Whether you hit us with a tier list or 2,000 word essay on why you think a game is better than others, it's all but one opinion at the end of the day!

I'd love to give this a go but only if I had strong opinions on all of them. The seventh generation games were pretty much lost on me - I hadn't played most of them until a couple of years ago!

The results so far:

Nice idea. When you update, can you sort them by current votes, as well as by order of release? This one quoted is just by order.

Also, winning eleven 2002 and pes 2 are doubles though, should just be PES 2 then :)
I ended up playing the remaining ones i missed via emulator, so i added every to the list minus the duplicate.

tYvp3yJ.png

Some aged well to date, some i would say not.

5* - PES 3 to 6 improved every game, plus PES 2, and my favorite of the last decade PES 2019 with so many mods and stadiums.
4* - PES 2011 to 2013 set with all the features, together with PES 2017, 2018 and 2016 when it began to recover leading to 2019.
3* - PES 2014/2015 those two damn years, same with 2008 and 2009, 2020 and 2021 barely improved 2019, except in gameplay.
2* - PES 1 actually did not improve a lot over the previous game, PES 2010 i hated after 08/09 when FIFA took over + a few olds.
1* - Original one is cute to play but not something i can enjoy in 2022, same with the efootball 2022, 2023 only barely improved.

1681517772259.png

After much thought, I've changed my PES Tier a bit!

- 5 Stars: PES 2017 remains my favorite sports game of all time, and in my top ever. The vanilla gameplay is awesome, and is the only modern title that IMO doesn't need any gameplay mods! Still very well supported by the community! This is followed by (modded) PES 2021, which I think will keep going strong for many years to come and continue to receive massive support by the community, followed by the classic and eternal PES 6 (need I say more?) and PES 2019! (The hardest installment of them all, but a great atmosphere and gameplay).

- 4 Stars: PES 5 falls in here for me, the original reaistic and unforgiving gameplay which has stood the test of time, followed by PES 2010 (yes! 2010! The best color pallette in the series, and very playable with mods), followed by PES 2013 (the biggest change! I realized that I had played previous versions of the .exe and DLC which made the game not to my liking, but now playing with the latest exe and gameplay, I've really learned to appreciate its arcade gameplay which is unique in the series!)

- 3 Stars: PES 2018 is here (a great looking game, a modern one with a video-game like pallette. Like someone said earlier it looks like a video game, which is good. It doesn't have the best defensive system, but this is solvable with gameplay mods. This is followed by PES 2009 and 2008! I know these are unpopular choices, but I really like them, something about them is classic and yet very playable, followed by PES 4, and PES 2014. 2014's gameplay is entertaining, but the lack of rain and dull Master League mode (the least developed in the entire series), detracts from it.

- 2 stars: PES 3 would be much higher in this list if it weren't for one simple point: Players don't retire, and I'm not sure if there is growth in ML. Even though the gameplay is great and is rightly still considered a classic, for an ML-head like me, the lack of player development and aging is a big minus here.. PES 2015 and 2016 follow them. These are deeply flawed games which have solid gameplay but have two really glaring flaws. Inflated and unrealistic ML simulated scores (7-3 is not uncommon) in PES 2015, which is a shame because the game is otherwise solid but this REALLY detracts from it IMO and really really bad keepers in PES 2016. PES 2011 is sandwiched in there too.. (in between 2015 and 2016) A game which has great reviews in the community but that I have struggled to enjoy in terms of pacing and physics.

- 1 Star: The E-football ones. Not even PES for me anymore.

The rest of the games I haven't really played so I can´t rank them! I know that my rankings are different and perhaps not that usual with most PES lovers, but thinking about it really deeply, I will stay with this ranking!

Last edited:
That's really a very interesting table. I am actually quite surprised to see PES 3 ranked so high, I would've thought PES 5 would take the cake!

BTW bro, are my ratings in the lowest row? Because if that's the case, I think you might've missed a few ones.. :) For example PES 5 and PES 2016 which are blank and I actually rated them. :TU:

That's really a very interesting table. I am actually quite surprised to see PES 3 ranked so high, I would've thought PES 5 would take the cake!

BTW bro, are my ratings in the lowest row? Because if that's the case, I think you might've missed a few ones.. :) For example PES 5 and PES 2016 which are blank and I actually rated them. :TU:
Yes, you rate PES 5 with 4 and as you see the last rating there is 4 , same for PES 2016, the last is 2 * ! Just somebody before you did not rate these games.

About PES 3, a lot of people PES 3 is the first touch with the PES series, it was the first big mainstream Konami football game, it was everywhere, and it was pretty amazing to be fair :D

1681627969449.png

Ok, I don't know if I'm missing something here. :LOL: The last row is my latest ratings I'm assuming. If you look at the empty ones that I circled in blue, they are empty yet I rated them..

View attachment 212126

Ok, I don't know if I'm missing something here. :LOL: The last row is my latest ratings I'm assuming. If you look at the empty ones that I circled in blue, they are empty yet I rated them..
Ok, we're already entering the wacky zone, I'm explaining, but you refuse to understand it, so I think I won't explain anymore, but let's ask questions, maybe you can come to an answer yourself! What is your explanation for all these remaining empty areas?
Untitled-1.jpg

No. With all due respect, I'm not refusing to understand: I just don't understand.

Now, I'm going to try once more: The empty slots are unrated games I am assuming. In your screen and mine, the last row is now different. In the one I sent you, I was under the impression that the last row were my ratings. When I said delete them, I thought you meant ALL my previous ratings and replace them with the new ones.

One last time: PES 5, PES 2016 and efootball 2023 were rated. But in my screenshot they are empty. I don't quite understand the order of your last screenshot,

I guess it's pointless to discuss this if we're just not understanding each other. 🤷‍♂️ Cheers.

Last edited:
No. With all due respect, I'm not refusing to understand: I just don't understand.

Now, I'm going to try once more: The empty slots are unrated games I am assuming. In your screen and mine, the last row is now different. In the one I sent you, I was under the impression that the last row were my ratings. When I said delete them, I thought you meant ALL my previous ratings and replace them with the new ones.

One last time: PES 5, PES 2016 and efootball 2023 were rated. But in my screenshot they are empty. I don't quite understand the order of your last screenshot,

I guess it's pointless to discuss this if we're just not understanding each other. 🤷‍♂️ Cheers.
THEY Are EMPTY because somebody from all 8 voters did not pick them... is that hard to understand :D I don't know. Empty one up or empty one down... it's empty anyway.Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom