Anime/Manga Thread

Come on guys, no spoiler :SHOCK: I'm planning to watch NGE later . i've been busy lately so no anime for me for the last 3 months :(

@Madmac79 , please add spoiler tag to your posts, luckily i've only read few paragraphs of yours :(

@Hayes as you are the special one here, i need your help. I used to love the sports related anime, back at the times. On of my most favourite, maybe my most, was Slam Dunk, don't know the Japanese name, the one with the Shohoku team.

So from what i understand, cause i watched mixed greek dubbed and then Japanese dub with English subs, the anime ends in the "all-star" friendly match after the regional qualifications, while the manga goes up to Japan nationals?

Or wasn't it supposed, that they aimed to go to America for the International School Championship?

Not sure , cause the Greek dub , mistranslated a lot of things, and i were confused,for example the word "Regional" can have two opposite translations in Greek.

Also, if you know again, IIRC, manga got past the 2nd year, where Gori-lla and the others 3rd grade went to university, the freshmen were 2nd Grade, practically a year had passed. Not sure if it was original content, or fanmade. 😅

I am asking, cause i stepped into this recently, and I can't understand what is it about? A reboot? A continuation of the plot, where anime was left? Or whatever?

Man i wish i could help but i only watch few eps of Slam Dunk and that was almost 20 years ago and i don't read Slam Dunk manga :( As far as i remember the anime didn't get fully adaptation in my country back then, maybe this will answer your question.

Also if you love sports genre Below here are on my watchlist, havent watch it yet idk when i could watch it, lol.

Ao Ashi : Football, aired last year
Haikyuu : Volleyball, there's 3 seasons or so incl OVA & Movies, etc.
Run with the Wind/Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru : Running, now this one is interesting. Some say it's one of the best sports anime, probably need a bit of patience to reach the climax in final eps.

Ever since i watch Anime i rarely read manga, only pick the one that interest me. Infact, Berserk is the first time i read manga again in months since Attack on Titan. Berserk is probably one of..if not the best manga i've ever read so far. This sounds a bit cheesy but after reading for a week until new chapter it's leaving me stunned for 3 days, lol.

Uhhm.. what? I said literally nothing about the plot in all my post. I don't name characters, situations, plot points.. nothing at all. How is saying that something as a whole is irrelevant (which was an opinion, by the way) or confused/not of my liking a spoiler in your eyes? I don't get it.

Uhhm.. what? I said literally nothing about the plot in all my post. I don't name characters, situations, plot points.. nothing at all. How is saying that something as a whole is irrelevant (which was an opinion, by the way) or confused/not of my liking a spoiler in your eyes? I don't get it.
If he only read the first paragraph, maybe he was afraid there'd be spoilers and didn't read on... :LOL: Either way, better safe than sorry.

Just to chill things up 🐱🤣

I would love also some volleyball anime. Not sure if this Haiku is the one i have in my mind, or something older.

At general i always have a feeling, that basketball and volleyball are more cinema/anime friendly than football, don't know why.

Especially each time I've watched a movie that was more "focused" on the action in the pitch, i felt something was off, as how the sport is depicted. Like in the GOAL movie.

The only exception are some anime classic like Captain Tsubasha and Benjamin (the clone of Captain Tsubasha with the protagonist from Italy, Genoa, IIRC it was "MOERO! top striker " the international name).

I assume basketball and volleyball are more highlights related sports, thats why they work better on screen.

Of course there are some good football movies, like Damned United or even the comedy Mike Basset, but those movies i feel the protagonists are focused outside of inside pitch action.

Man i wish i could help but i only watch few eps of Slam Dunk and that was almost 20 years ago and i don't read Slam Dunk manga :( As far as i remember the anime didn't get fully adaptation in my country back then, maybe this will answer your question.

Also if you love sports genre Below here are on my watchlist, havent watch it yet idk when i could watch it, lol.

Ao Ashi : Football, aired last year
Haikyuu : Volleyball, there's 3 seasons or so incl OVA & Movies, etc.
Run with the Wind/Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru : Running, now this one is interesting. Some say it's one of the best sports anime, probably need a bit of patience to reach the climax in final eps.

Ever since i watch Anime i rarely read manga, only pick the one that interest me. Infact, Berserk is the first time i read manga again in months since Attack on Titan. Berserk is probably one of..if not the best manga i've ever read so far. This sounds a bit cheesy but after reading for a week until new chapter it's leaving me stunned for 3 days, lol.
Exactly, Slam Dunk didn't adapt the manga in its entirety and ends with a match that doesn't happen in the manga.
I would add Hajime no Ippo to your list of sports anime, it's about boxing, I'm not a fan of this sport but it motivates you a lot, one of my favorites.

Talking about sports, All Rounder Meguru is also a very good portray of MMA/combat sports life. If you aren't passionate about that world it will probably fall flat tho. Same author of Eden: it's an Endless World, by the way, futuristic/cyberpunk manga I absolutely loved.

I was scratching my head to recover from my memory an old Mecha Anime, i used to watch in VHS tapes, when i were kid. Apart from the anime itself was cool, the localised DUB of my country, which i assume follow a foregin DUB, had the Soundtrack that was used for the American Dub.

Lucky enough, the show was in the 80's, so i assume the copyright was less strickt, in different occasion, they would go bankrupt by episode 1! :)

The name of the anime, GoShogun or Macron 1 (The USA/English European Version). It seems the american syndiation butchered 2 different animes, and merged the clips, in order to create episodes able to be broadcasted in weekdays syndication.

The European Intro

The good part was, they used some crazy songs for the action scenes!!!! :COOL:

"Beat it!" by Michael Jackson!!! :CALM:

"Safety Dance", and "THE HEAT IS ON"can't find footage about those, and i am pretty sure, in the Greek DUB version, which was only a 3-episode version, they used the OG "Beverly Hills Cop" theme . :)

The most strange part is, there are various versions around, all with differnet editing, so in order to have the OG feeling, someone has to watch the original Japanese RAW version. There is one for US, another for UK and rest Europe due to english dubbing. Then the mighty Italians and French, due to being true heros, they have their own Italian and French releases, which are almost 99,9% true to the original, only in dubbed language.

1679589392175.png1679589507039.png

Speaking of Hajime No Ippo,they've uploaded the series on Netflix! (not sure if it's on the entire platform worldwide or only for Latin America, but still wanted to give you guys a heads up). :TU:

Really nice thread, here i will try to recommend some rare/underrated/unpopular/overlooked ones that i really like, in no particular order:

- 20th Century Boys (The same autor of Monster, both great thrillers, bit only Monster has an anime adaptation, pretty good by the way)

- Akira (I think the movie was made before the manga but i'm not sure, both are really good, the movie is beautiful and just pure retro feel)

- Bungou Stray Dogs (EVERY character has the name of a writer, either occidental or oriental, and has powers according to his most famous books, i will leave the rest to your imagination)

- Michiko to Hatchin, Terror in Resonance and Samurai Champloo (All from the same director of Cowboy Bebop, all short but great animes to watch in a long weekend for example)

- Bakuman (This is a manga about creating mangas, but is also a romance manga??? hahah, same author of Death Note, but it's not remotedly similar in any way)

- Vagabond (Same author of Slam Dunk, illustrates the story of a famous Samurai named Miyamoto Musashi as realystically as posible but still adds some mysticism, good story in my opinion and again the drawing is insane, sadly it's on hiatus/pause indefinitely and doesn't have an anime adaptation)

I may update this post if i mamage to remember other mangas/animes, best regards.

Well I don't use to post about famous people, but Toriyama was so influential, Dragon Ball and Crono Trigger in the west, in the east also Arale, Dr. Slump, and other gag style manga and anime.

This person had so much influence in our childhood and the popular culture of our world at general.

It's really sad news.

Man, I LOVED Chrono Trigger, one of the best SNES games and overall games of all time. What a story, what great characters and art! Crono, Frog, Robo, Ayla, Lucca and Marle Forever!

I will post this picture as tribute to Toriyama.. Rest In Peace Akira, what a fantastic artist.

1709897623640.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom