DIY SimRacing Rig - a 2021 Covid Project

Super short update:
The cockpit has been moved in the room it’s in, I created some pictures I want to put on the wall, and tomorrow I’m going on the train ride to Frankford to pick up an oculus quest 2 set for cheap.
i want to be even more immersed and I know I will be. :D

I second this... Why don't you just buy a second-hand car and enjoy taking some rides in the country? :P :D :BRMM:
Well, I could go in detail here but the short answers is: you can’t buy a GT3 car for 5000 Euro!
let alone the fees for a track day… :)

Small update:
i just came home from Frankfurt where I bought a used windshield for my rig. Yes, 2 new windshields to be precise. :D
I know… I couldve bought a new rear view mirror for a real car... But I’m addicted to sim racing these days! :LOL:

88695555-03D1-43DF-9D2D-4B1D730EAE5B.jpeg

will be cleaning it now and then doing the installation… I freaking can’t wait to ride the Porsche 911 over the Nordschleife! :LOVE:

What can I say?! Virtual reality is just awesome when doing some racing!
The oculus quest 2 ain’t the best headset around but it sure delivers immersion.
After two days of fiddling with the settings and racing in VR, I just had one race on my 55 inch 4K screen today and I have to say… VR turned my head around (but for real)! :D
I was going for triple screens soon but VR really is another dimension when sitting in a cockpit!

i don’t like the casual VR games that you can play on the headset too much but the racing sims and MSFS on PC are another level now.
i drive so much better in VR, getting the apex right, being more daring… it’s a joy! :D

maybe I’ll sell the 55inch tv and the quest 2 and go reverb g2 or primax. Need to test drive a triple screen setup before I settle for a final screen solution.

Looking for an entry rig myself. Gonna start with the g29 perhaps. Do you have a list of stuff one needs perhaps? I'm thinking of a triple monitor setup as those usually have better refresh rates.

Looking for an entry rig myself. Gonna start with the g29 perhaps. Do you have a list of stuff one needs perhaps? I'm thinking of a triple monitor setup as those usually have better refresh rates.
Plan ahead. Thats the most important part. I still do learn every day, while spending money for nonesense, but it’s getting better... PLAN AHEAD!! :LOL: what’s your goal? a real cockpit, triples, motion...?!
So much stuff to consider. And even when you do serious planning, failure is part of the process and new ideas arise. I love it.

We can go more in detail if you want, I’m still a rookie myself, but I am happy to share what I’ve learned so far. :BYE:

Last edited:
Happy Gamer here...! :D

A friend of mine send me a pic last Tuesday of hardware his company wanted to throw away... he was sending this pic because he knew my heart would be bleeding when I saw it.
I asked him the favor of asking his boss of approving a pickup by myself and put that hardware to good use. To our surprise, it was granted...

3 hours of work, I wanna call it fun time, and here we have a monitor stand separated from the cockpit, so 25Nm rocking my wheel ain’t gonna shake the screen no more. And im loving it!! :D

D1E2EAFE-826B-4949-AE13-C412079A85B5.jpeg

7519040F-A415-473A-A482-3A85B7B66B19.jpeg

8BE87A03-4B6C-457E-A222-90BC3DD0EE1E.jpeg

153443D8-4F7B-44FD-8BC4-442199B1FE62.jpeg

Last edited:
@PRO_TOO Nice job! :)) Are those shoes remote controlled for the pedals :D
Thanks pal!
…it’s like with those automated pianos in theme parks, imagine my shoes dancing on the pedals without someone sitting in the seat! :LOL:

i haven’t decided on what karting shoes to get, so I use this old pair of sneakers (very lightweight adidas). The soles of these shoes are very thin (one shoe is about to get a hole), as they were worn a lot the last years. The shoe became super comfy over time, you know how it is with old sneakers, so its a perfect fit for sim racing now. comfortable to wear (slipping in and out with ease), and a super thin sole to have a good feedback from the pedals (I had to learn how important that is).

Last edited:
Maybe they already have or maybe I've just launched an idea here but I'm surprised they haven't made a crash helmet with VR in the visor yet to go the whole way for immersion.

So I’m at the sim racing expo at the Nuremberg Ring and having a lot of fun. Thing is, I’m so addicted to sim racing these days, that this expo is making me wanna explode. in a good way! :D
met some guys, some Sim racing Youtubers, and had awesome conversations. I went to Heusinkveld and got all the information I wanted about the paddle sets. They are amazing buil quality and look stylish as F! Very good presentation and the guy instructing me was a delight as well! So polite and helpful.
had good chats with Arie from SimLabs as well… this community is something special. Really.
i am full of joy and just wanted to share!

my new YouTube channel just went online today, so please give it a try and check it out. That will be much appreciated.

hatm1kwg.jpg

https://youtube.com/channel/UCZ6CKOES_mASHlHmnTQM00w

edit: I am back home, pretty exhausted and tired but happy! I met so many awesome people, had chats (mostly in English and I enjoyed that a lot) with them… Jimmy, Dave, Chris, Marco, Chepi… all guys I know from watching their YouTube channels. I felt a bit like a kid meeting his/her fav. foottball player… and I’m 41! :LOL:
If you guys are interested I’d tell more.

happy PRO here… really! :LOVE:

Last edited:
Good luck mate! Not that you are doing it for the views, I can tell you love it! Have a blast!
I will leave first comment for someone close to you, or maybe a new fan ;))
Thanks pal!
I really do enjoy my time with the new hobby!
today I rearranged the whole cockpit, moved seat (and tilted it some more ), moved the wheel arms, set the pedals higher.
i got a lot of good ideas at the expo and today was another small step towards my dream cockpit. :D

I know I was saying a while ago that you could have just bought a car. The amount of time this is taking, you could have probably built one.

;)

Sim Racing vs. Real Racing - Costs Compared​

We compare how much it costs you to go racing in the real world versus just racing from your living room

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/sim-racing-vs-real-racing-costs-compared-ar188762.html

Comparing Sim Racing vs Motorsport in “real life”​

https://simracingcockpit.com/sim-racing-vs-motorsport-in-real-life/

Last edited:
Bought a Samsung Odyssey G5 34. A basic sim rig will be ready soon. I love the ultrawide, just need to tweak the FOV a bit and I can see the mirrors without having to look to the side in game.

Some of those machines & the driving wheels are insane!

Some nice cars too, I remember the first time I saw a genuine F1 car up close, I was shocked at how big they really are.
Watching on TV they looked like upsized go karts to me :LOL: Then you realize they are massive because they accomodate a jet engine!

Wait ... you're NOT Doug Heffernan? Dammit my whole life is a lie! :LOL:

This video never happened in my mind. You are still Doug .. Emroth is still depressed Pique & SuperLeeds is Bielsa giving me the hairdryer :))
Oh, noob. This is not Dougles Heffernan. This is Kevin James for sure. 🤪🤭

I just found out from the FIFA thread that you're also into sim racing.

I had a mini sim rig with a thrustmaster base, round wheel and the t3pa-pro pedals like 6 years ago, and lent it to a friend before moving to another apartment. A couple years I wanted to try sim racing again and got my gear back, only to find out that it was in really bad shape. I just put it in my locker and forgot about it. Last year I wend and bought a Fanatec CSW V2.5 base, with a F1 Esport wheel and CSL + Load cell pedals. The only thing is that I had to buy a GT Omega Apex stand, because I don't have the space for a permanent rig. I've been close to buying the Sim-Lab GT1 Evo rig, but that would probably end up in a divorce!

Anyways, I'm glad that I could find some other guys that also share my interests. I mainly play formula type cars much more than GT, and I probably have all the sim racing games available, minus iRacing. So if any want to play with me someday, I'm up for it. I pretty much suck though.

I bought a Logitech G29 and have finally started my own (somewhat) sim journey. However, I have realized that I suck. Guess we all start somewhere. I'm 2 secs slower in F1 than my keyboard pace however I feel more on the limit now. I guess pace will improve.

Assetto Corsa however, keep locking up the formula hybrid brakes, expected with the G29 brake pedal, and end up understeering stock cars because of the urge to brake while steering.

When are you gonna post some lessons? :LMAO:
Also, how much FOV should I set for 34" ultrawide?

I bought a Logitech G29 and have finally started my own (somewhat) sim journey. However, I have realized that I suck. Guess we all start somewhere. I'm 2 secs slower in F1 than my keyboard pace however I feel more on the limit now. I guess pace will improve.

Assetto Corsa however, keep locking up the formula hybrid brakes, expected with the G29 brake pedal, and end up understeering stock cars because of the urge to brake while steering.

When are you gonna post some lessons? :LMAO:
Also, how much FOV should I set for 34" ultrawide?
Use a FOV calculator.
I’m one with the FOV police!! ;)
If you have further questions setting up you rig or wheel, let’s have a voice chat. There are a lot of topics here...

Any questions regarding the driving itself? Feel free to ask; I’m happy to help.
Is it finished yet?
Such a build is never really done. :D
I have so many plans of stuff to include. It’s far from done; it’s ready to use though.

Back
Top Bottom