FiFA [2006-2011] Next gen ports via RPCS3 and Xenia

FIFA WC 2010 was a true love letter to football and is a sombre gift as the producer of that game, Simon Humber passed away around four years later. His influence was truly felt in the latter FIFA's up until around 14 when the true FUT poison kicked in on current gen.

I'd love to play WC 2010 & 11 in high resolution, Though as RPCS3 is more CPU intensive then GPU, I feel my 15 may not do it justice.

However i'm hopefull Xenia will support FIFA 06 RTWC as it's not so much a great football game, But from a preservation standpoint, It's the first true HD football game, The first one i played on my Xbox 360 that i foolishly brought on launch and actually has damn good art direction and presentation compared to every other FIFA until 11.

You can still give it a try and see if it at least runs in playable speed during gameplay. Although it's worth mentioning- if your framerate drops below 60 fps- it doesn't really slow down the gameplay but the physics breaks. So there's that.

RTWC 06's cutscene animations look better than all other 7th gen fifa games. Even the cinematic presentation of the cutscenes were natural and more realistic than rest of the 7th gen games. Facial expressions are better than other fifa games upto Fifa 16.

And the lighting just looks better than all other fifa games and looks even better than current gen fifa games in some cases. Not to mention the presence of 3D grass which was removed from main cutscenes ever since fifa 09.

As for the game itself, it doesn't feel good as Fifa 06, but it's honestly and okay game. I just wish they kept the same graphics and animations and instead just improved the gameplay from that point and make slight optimizations.

Tested Fifa World Cup 14 and while it runs, it's really not playable with my CPU. Getting random slowdowns during gameplay unlike Fifa 10 wc. However, it does run perfectly with better CPUs like 9900k

EDIT: Nevermind, it runs in playable speed. Only reason it stuttered was cause I disabled SPU loop detection, which prevented audio stutters- bu my CPU isnt strong enough to run the game without it.

So basically what it means is that on i7 6700k range of CPUs you can still play these games but will have audio stutter.

To play the game without audio stutters while having full speed- you need better CPU than mine.

Last edited:
Would love to see footage of WC 14 sometime, It's probably the only FIFA i literally haven't played because i sold my PS3 & brought a PS4 hoping the WC game would get ported, Only we didn't and got 1 WC stadium on FIFA 14 next gen for the FUT mode.

Would love to see footage of WC 14 sometime, It's probably the only FIFA i literally haven't played because i sold my PS3 & brought a PS4 hoping the WC game would get ported, Only we didn't and got 1 WC stadium on FIFA 14 next gen for the FUT mode.

Okay, will capture a footage of both 14wc and 10wc at 4k with fps counter on

Footage of playing FiFA World Cup 2014 on my PC. Finishing a match likely crashes the emulator on my PC. But it seems like on better CPUs the game doesn't crash at all.

Anyway, FiFA 14 wc and 10 wc runs fairly well in my PC with less crashing.

However FiFA 10 has the missing goal keeper bug on my PC. FiFA 08 freezes before or after half time now. FiFA 09 freezes eventually too. But another user, playing the USA version of these 3 games isn't facing the crash/ bugs. I have the EU release of these games. I wonder if the bugs/ freezes are related to different versions of the game? Or it just might be my pc.

If anyone else here has Fifa 08 and 10, let me know if it runs without freezing/ or missing GK in case of fifa 10. Also mention what region your game belongs to.

By the way, the graphics of Fifa 14 wc is trash AF. The lighting is better than Ps3 Fifa 14 but it still doesnt look anywhere close to Fifa 10 wc or fifa 11, 12. And what the hell happened to the 3D models of the jerseys? It looks like a plastic cylinder and the kit wrinkles look unrealistic af.

And the 3D grass sometimes appears if you get yellow/red card. EA couldnt be bothered to fix the 3D grass ever since fifa 09 [They fixed it in Fifa 16 I think since I saw 3d grass during goal celebrations in gameplay footages].

Base_Profile_Screenshot_2020.03.16_-_22.46.34.46.png

Last edited:
@Sami 1999 Wow thanks, The resolution looks razar sharp and excellent, This a damn shame we never got a PS4 port or even a PC version the bastards. Even the Euro 2012 DLC for FIFA 12 seems to be bloody vaporware at this point, So much for preservation.

But i agree on the aesthetic, I could never un see nor understand how the models and jerseys looked so offensive and shambolicly proportioned. I wonder how much those artists were paid and this is the measure of their artistic eye?

Even the worst PES games still had great and consistent art direction. This just feels like throwing a handful of different artists with different perspectives and their workflow into one project and getting away with it because who ever signed off on the finished project was blind.

Nonetheless, IT's great to see progress being made on the preservation of the trapped sports games of the PS3 era.

Not sure if you're a boxing fan but i wonder what the potential must be for Fight Night Champion on this emulator. Unlike FIFA, That was also made by EA but had utterly stunning visuals and models for it's time. Though the framerate and resolution take a hit on native hardware, I bet that game could reach it's full potential on an emulator.

@Sami 1999 Wow thanks, The resolution looks razar sharp and excellent, This a damn shame we never got a PS4 port or even a PC version the bastards. Even the Euro 2012 DLC for FIFA 12 seems to be bloody vaporware at this point, So much for preservation.

But i agree on the aesthetic, I could never un see nor understand how the models and jerseys looked so offensive and shambolicly proportioned. I wonder how much those artists were paid and this is the measure of their artistic eye?

Even the worst PES games still had great and consistent art direction. This just feels like throwing a handful of different artists with different perspectives and their workflow into one project and getting away with it because who ever signed off on the finished project was blind.

Nonetheless, IT's great to see progress being made on the preservation of the trapped sports games of the PS3 era.

Not sure if you're a boxing fan but i wonder what the potential must be for Fight Night Champion on this emulator. Unlike FIFA, That was also made by EA but had utterly stunning visuals and models for it's time. Though the framerate and resolution take a hit on native hardware, I bet that game could reach it's full potential on an emulator.

Yeah they didn't even try. It's not like we needed super realistic graphics [although from a full priced game from AAA company like EA- I expect both high quality gameplay and graphics] but they could at least make decent graphics. Or you know? Just don't freaking downgrade the graphics? Just copy paste Fifa 10 wc's graphics if it feels really hard to make decent graphics. Why do they downgrade stuff?

EA also removes FiFA from origin after their music license expires. So much for preservation. And for reasons not gonna mention- FiFA 16 PC port will be lost after few years. It can't be preserved at all.

I tried Fight Night Round 4 and that ran fairly well. But on my CPU the opponent AI broke and only made jabs. It happens if there's performance drop. The AI goes braindead. But I haven't tried it since early 2019. Maybe it will work now?

Some users are reporting fight Night Champions is playable with modern high end CPUs but I myself haven't tried it. Ir probably wont run on my i7 6700k given how graphics intensive it looks.

I will benchmark Fifa 10, 10wc, 08 with latest versions of the emulator as well. It's been a while since I tested those games.

EA also removes FiFA from origin after their music license expires. So much for preservation. And for reasons not gonna mention- FiFA 16 PC port will be lost after few years. It can't be preserved at all.
Wait you mean to tell me EA just flat out removes the games from origin if the music expires? Whar if we've already brought the game, Does it stay in our library forever though?

Might have to go buy FIFA 16 on Origin before it becomes obsolete then!

Wait you mean to tell me EA just flat out removes the games from origin if the music expires? Whar if we've already brought the game, Does it stay in our library forever though?

You should still be able to download it if you already bought it.

Like majuh said, you can still download the game if you already bought it.

But imagine someone else wants to buy the games in future/ someone looses their old account and wants to buy the game again. They can't.

Not just music, maybe licenses for other stuff too like the kits? Also once EA decides to kill Origin or go out of business or anything like that, you will loose access to those games. This is why DRM sucks and only best digital store is GoG since you can still play the games as long as you have a backup of the game files. But for other stores like steam and Origin with their DRM, you are screwed.

Well it's a luck that emulators for Ps3 are on the rise and will probably be fully functional in the next few years. It would pain me to lose all Fifa 16 mods, but at least you'll always be able to play the base thing.

Well it's a luck that emulators for Ps3 are on the rise and will probably be fully functional in the next few years. It would pain me to lose all Fifa 16 mods, but at least you'll always be able to play the base thing.

This is why I stick with Fifa 15 even though Fifa 16 is better. Fifa 15 will be preserved in the future.

At least we can still mod Fifa 16. With the introduction of frostbite engine, the modding has become so limited that I lost interest in these games.

First FIFA game to become playable on Xenia emulator: UEFA Euro 2008

Playble performance on my 980 Ti+ i7 6700k with default settings:

With 2x res scale, it's not exactly playable on my PC. However, it does manage over 30 FPS all the time during gameplay. So if you are fine with 30 fps gameplay, you can lock it to that and prevent the stuttery mess that you can see on the footage below:

First FIFA game to become playable on Xenia emulator: UEFA Euro 2008
I remember how positively received this was back at launch but it's one of those early 7th Gen FIFA games that really don't hold up very well at all. Visually it looks like it was designed by another species who was basing the players off of some kind of interpretation of what humans must've looked like or something.

I remember how positively received this was back at launch but it's one of those early 7th Gen FIFA games that really don't hold up very well at all. Visually it looks like it was designed by another species who was basing the players off of some kind of interpretation of what humans must've looked like or something.

It's not that bad. But I can't just get over the grass color. It looks so awful and very bright [you can notice I had to reduce the brightness of the game just to make the grass bearable].

By the way, I noticed something interesting. FiFA 08 Ps3 port looks way too much inferior compared to Xbox 360 port! The jersey wrinkle normal maps are inverted and looks awful compared to x360. X360 port even has 3D grass in cutscenes [although the draw distance and density is too low] whereas Ps3 port doesnt have 3d grass at all.

This also means fifa 09 was the one where EA fuked up the 3d grass rendering and removed it from cutscenes on both x360 and ps3.

So for fifa 06-fifa 09, xbox 360 port is the definitive version. Fifa 09 too since the normal maps are inverted on ps3 port.

As for fifa 10 world cup, I haven't seen any difference between the ps3 and x360 port yet. Now if only it was possible to get the 3d grass to render in 2010 world cup, that would look great. The overall graphics of 2010 world cup isn't bad at all and the gameplay is nice too.

does anyone know why older fifa pc games (fifa 08, fifa 09) lag on win7 and quad core cpu?

i played them on my old dual core pc with win xp on highest setting and they didn't lag, but on my current machine they lag.

does anyone know why older fifa pc games (fifa 08, fifa 09) lag on win7 and quad core cpu?

i played them on my old dual core pc with win xp on highest setting and they didn't lag, but on my current machine they lag.

Same reason Grand Prix 4 never worked on Windows 7.

You need to load the game then press CTRL ALT DEL, then task manager and change the fifa.exe to only use one core.

If you need further instructions how to do this then google will be your friend, as the instructions if you dont know how to do this would take a while to type and someone on google probably has full instructions.

Also this is a thread for PS3 emulation for old FIFAs not classic FIFA PC games.
So if you need to respond to this post, then please post in PC Gaming Thread.

Same reason Grand Prix 4 never worked on Windows 7.

You need to load the game then press CTRL ALT DEL, then task manager and change the fifa.exe to only use one core.

If you need further instructions how to do this then google will be your friend, as the instructions if you dont know how to do this would take a while to type and someone on google probably has full instructions.

Also this is a thread for PS3 emulation for old FIFAs not classic FIFA PC games.
So if you need to respond to this post, then please post in PC Gaming Thread.

Also setting render rate to "2" in the cfg_pc_h/m/l.ini files helps a lot.

Have you played fifa 05 by the way? The pc port seems to be locked to 30 FPS internally, that is the FPS counter shows 500-600 fps but it's just 30 fps duplicated to multiple frames so it feels laggy and unsmooth just like 30 fps. I then tried the og xbox version and that ran at 60 fps during gameplay and felt smooth like it is supposed to be.

As for the pc ports, most of the ps2 gen pc ports looked worse than xbox ports unfortunately, including fifa 06 and 06 world cup [yeah 06 world cup had 3d grass and depth of field on og xbox port].

Fifa 09 on pc seemed to be at least decent in graphics [fifa 10 even when moddded, doesn't look good as 09 and the grass texture is rendered at low res regardless of modding the files]. But on my new pc, I can't ply Fifa 09 because of this:

FIFA_09_Screenshot_2020.01.07_-_00.01.44.80.png

Everyone became Jesus Christ on my new pc lol.

Also setting render rate to "2" in the cfg_pc_h/m/l.ini files helps a lot.

Have you played fifa 05 by the way? The pc port seems to be locked to 30 FPS internally, that is the FPS counter shows 500-600 fps but it's just 30 fps duplicated to multiple frames so it feels laggy and unsmooth just like 30 fps. I then tried the og xbox version and that ran at 60 fps during gameplay and felt smooth like it is supposed to be.

can editing .ini files help without having to change fifa.exe to only use one core? or is it mandatory to use both?

i tried also to play fifa 2004 but it doesn't have 1920x1080 resolution option and it has same stutter like fifa 08 and 09.

to tell you the truth, this thread and your videos made me wanna try those old fifa games i played back then in their times :)

can editing .ini files help without having to change fifa.exe to only use one core? or is it mandatory to use both?

i tried also to play fifa 2004 but it doesn't have 1920x1080 resolution option and it has same stutter like fifa 08 and 09.

to tell you the truth, this thread and your videos made me wanna try those old fifa games i played back then in their times :)

On my pc with i7 6700k, I managed to get rid of stutters by setting the render rate to "2" and refresh rate to 60Hz + Vsync forced on fifa 10, 09, 08 and 07.

Didn't work for fifa 04 though.

Which build did you use? I still get the black stripes on the player bodies.
I always update my build. I get the black stripes on the player bodies rarely on the replays. Use the %400 resolution and activate the "Write Color Buffers", so you have to activate "Read Color Buffers" which is under the "Advanced" section. Unless you don't activate read color buffers, you get so many crashes.

settingsgpu.jpgsettingsjpg.jpgadvanced.jpg

I always update my build. I get the black stripes on the player bodies rarely on the replays. Use the %400 resolution and activate the "Write Color Buffers", so you have to activate "Read Color Buffers" which is under the "Advanced" section. Unless you don't activate read color buffers, you get so many crashes.

Thanks for the info.

Usually when I enable write color buffer, the game suffers from performance drop and also crashes midgame. Disabling it fixes the crash but some stadiums suffer from overbright pitch, making it unplayable.

I will enable write color buffer and read color buffer at the same time to see if that stops the crash. That way I can use those stadiums.

I will update this post if I find improvements on my end.

Edit: Aah, crashes on my pc. RIP.

Could you tell me your specs?

Thanks for the info.

Usually when I enable write color buffer, the game suffers from performance drop and also crashes midgame. Disabling it fixes the crash but some stadiums suffer from overbright pitch, making it unplayable.

I will enable write color buffer and read color buffer at the same time to see if that stops the crash. That way I can use those stadiums.

I will update this post if I find improvements on my end.

Edit: Aah, crashes on my pc. RIP.

Could you tell me your specs?
Enabling color buffers drops the perfomance a little bit. My specs are Ryzen 5 2600 and GTX 1660 Super, 8GB Ram.
I also updated the FIFA 08 to 1.10 version.

I cant get reshade to work for some reason. It just doesn't hook with rpcs3. Reshade vulkan selected.

Edit: Got it to work but it seems like it causes performance drop even with effects disabled on my pc unfortunately. So I'll wait till I upgrade.

Last edited:

FiFA 2007 Xbox 360 port finally goes in game. Unfortunately it still crashes right after you start a match.

FiFA 2006 world cup also crashes right before a match starts now unlike before where it went in a match and then crashed after few seconds.

Still, there is some hope for fifa 07 and 08 on xenia since 2 people seem to be working on finding the cause of the crashes.

FiFA 2007 Xbox 360 port finally goes in game. Unfortunately it still crashes right after you start a match.

FiFA 2006 world cup also crashes right before a match starts now unlike before where it went in a match and then crashed after few seconds.

Still, there is some hope for fifa 07 and 08 on xenia since 2 people seem to be working on finding the cause of the crashes.
Hey man, Good to know you're still testing. My dream is to play the very unique Road to World Cup 2006 game one day Xenia, Which of course crashes on startup.

The emulator is progressing, But very slowly and it's understandable, It's hit and miss with a lot of games unfortunately.

Hey man, Good to know you're still testing. My dream is to play the very unique Road to World Cup 2006 game one day Xenia, Which of course crashes on startup.

The emulator is progressing, But very slowly and it's understandable, It's hit and miss with a lot of games unfortunately.

Same. 2006 rtwc to 2008 is my dream games.

Also back in 2006 on news papers all the screenshots of fifa wc 06 were of xbox 360 version. Back then I had no internet. Suffice to say, I was so confused and disappointed when I installed the game on pc and found outi t looked nothing like the screenshots.

As for the emulation, there is hope for fifa 07 and 08 now since two of the emulator devs owns fifa 07. So they can figure out the cause of crash. However since they don't have a copy of rtwc 06 and wc 06, I dont know if we will see any improvements on those 2 games.

Back
Top Bottom