FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

Haven't had a single free kick given for or against me.
My last wee flame of hope was just extinguished.
No matter how you play - free kicks in football should always happen and they are one of the absolute basics of the game.
Lack of it is simply unacceptable for me..

Ah well..
1jOF-B.gif

West Ham have the ball, central just outside the centre circle I'm controlling Sissoko right of a midfield pair, trying to keep shape. My team in 2 banks of 4.

There's a player between Sissoko and Winks, but closer to Winks, close enough for him to mark him. Antonio is between my LB and CB

My other centre midfielder let's does nothing, not the guy next to him or drop off to get the guy in front of the back 4. By this time Antonio has moved to between my Cb's, defence dont squeeze on him either.

Winks takes a few steps backwards creating more of a passing lane for West Ham.

Ball goes into Antonio who's in 5 yards of space as defender's haven't moved. He starts dribbling diagonally up the screen. Now everyone comes alive. Winks and my centre backs all are drawn to the ball, Winks starts chasing Antonio, the cb's bunch together then one drops off to cover a run before the run has even been made playing everyone onside.

Because Winks came alive but to the ball, the original passer has made a run and is now 1v1 with my keeper as Antonio passes it back to him. In the space of 2 seconds I've gone from good shape to complete disarray.

My Lb never moved throughout.

Gonna go have another session today, but as I'm thinking about the game it's annoying me even more how it's just built for attacking. Worse is that the CPU defensively even seems better. Like I said City play a good realistic press.

It's just the ability of the human to defend is so inept.

Like I said City play a good realistic press.

Is there a midfield or can you reach their final 3rd with a couple of passes / a sprint without thinking about it much?
That's really awful in 20 with teams with 4-3-3 formation that press & the way they rush for the ball leaving you with an obvious option going forward.

It’s odd that both games suffer with this mannequin syndrome for defence.....makes me think that it’s clearly done deliberately to raise the score.

Can anyone confirm if the game is actually difficult in Career Mode on Legendary/Ultimate?
As it stands, from everyone I've spoken to - yes. But there's a beta patch landing any day now, and this time last year (and the year before), the beta patch resulted in a speed increase, and the ease of gliding past the AI increased, which ruined the game.

Hold onto your hats...

Time to take a break from this "realistic" football. Let's load FUT with Neymar, and Mbappe 99 pace, 99 shooting, 99 dribbling.

As it stands, from everyone I've spoken to - yes. But there's a beta patch landing any day now, and this time last year (and the year before), the beta patch resulted in a speed increase, and the ease of gliding past the AI increased, which ruined the game.

Hold onto your hats...
Thanks Chris. I’ll hold my breath!

It seems Eurogamer.net writers are also confused by how FIFA favors the physical attributes over mental ones.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...obstacles-thomas-muller-ugly-football-and-you

Not a bad article but takes fifa a bit too seriously. Just because EA loves the word "authenticity" doesn't mean you should believe their garbage rather than your own eyes. You don't have to overanalyze the stats in a game where defenders will not defend, you can pass the ball with a freaking bicycle kick and finishing in the near post is more effective than the far post. It's not a game about "football intelligence" or a game that rewards it. It rewards spending money only.

Last edited:
I did not know that about FIFA ratings. Dirtier overalls than a bad painter decorator.

It's FIFA's biggest issue in microcosm: AI, sports - it's not in the game. It's all on you, Mr Username, we won't get in your or your opponent's way, for better or for worse.

Not a bad article but takes fifa a bit too seriously. You don't have to overanalyze the stats in a game where defenders will not defend, you can pass the ball with a freaking bicycle kick and finishing in the near post is more effective than the far post. It's not a game about or a game that rewards any sort of footballing intelligence.

I see your point but why shouldn't it be? Would you not rather it was a game for football fans rather than a game for FIFA fans?

It seems Eurogamer.net writers are also confused by how FIFA favors the physical attributes over mental ones.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...obstacles-thomas-muller-ugly-football-and-you

Firstly, Muller has low technique? In FM he is rated 12 technique? He scores all types of goals and does all types of things. He may look clumsy doing it but the results seem evident by themselves. Maybe I don't watch enough Muller but lack of technique was one of the last things to come to my mind to describe him.

Secondly, the article is fairly spot on at point out the problem and reason behind that problem. FIFa is controlled by a user so a lot of the mental and decision-making side is invariably.. controlled by the user. One can't help but feel the mental side of the game is also deliberately being held back though, and it makes you question whether EA have decided that a team that functions too well off-the-ball makes for a less fun and unbalanced match for the userbase as a whole. I mean if all the players are making their real-life attacking and defensive runs how much is left to the actual player to do? (and that's not even accounting for the ridiculous assisted controls which would further exemplify the ease of the game in such a scenario).

No doubt the mental side is difficult to recreate but it also feels purposefully stifled, too.

I tried the 21 Beta on the highest difficulty with that new "competitor mode" feature turned just to see if it would maybe up the mental side of the game, and maybe it did (I didn't play enough to properly find out as I find the AI boring to play on such high difficulties), but mostly what I witnessed in my short playing time with that feature was the AI doing a bunch of skill moves and drag backs over and over and over again. Was pretty laughable.

I see your point but why shouldn't it be? Would you not rather it was a game for football fans rather than a game for FIFA fans?

It doesn't want to be a game about faithfully representing football though. In that sense it doesn't fail at anything it sets out to achieve. Pointing out how the game fails to portray intelligent footballers is also taking EAs marketing BS about authenticity for granted. It's only skin deep authenticity.

I suppose my point is that everything about fifa 20 is dumb and not by accident. How do you then portray intelligent football(ers) on top of that foundation? I don't think you can. But sure, I'd love it if they somehow took any of that on board and made a game about football.

Last edited:
Good article, again though it makes me think back to Winning 11 and the fact that they managed to replicate these things correctly

I remember having Gattuso and Pirlo in a midfield two. Both different, with different strengths, no game since has managed to replicate a slow, technical passing midfielder in the same way. You could run games with Pirlo's passing. Gattuso just in front as his enforcer.

Now everything is just reduced to fast and strong.

Not really related but the player ratings in Fifa are not in colleration with the attributes. Messi could be a 60 if you set his values by modding (unlike in PES).
In FUT yes, in all other game modes no. Just edit Messi in the game and decrease his stats and you will see that his overall goes down.

There's a setting in this beta Attributes.on Classic or Default. I still can't work out what it means;

By setting this to Default, attributes are based on the position of the player to provide the recommended gameplay experience. Turning the setting to classic will provide the classic FIFA gameplay experience.

Edit;

'This feature modifies players’ attributes to provide an enhanced and friendlier gameplay experience. When turned on, the increase in relevant attributes makes players feel more responsive and accurate, providing a similar experience as when playing FUT with high chemistry.'

Basically a stat boost.

Defenders and Defensive Midfielders
  • Acceleration +6, Sprint Speed +4, Aggression +2
  • Vision +2, Short Passing +4, Long Passing +2, Reactions +4, Composure +4
  • Interceptions +8, Defensive Awareness +10, Stand Tackle +8, Slide Tackle +4
I tried it and my defenders were less like traffi comes.

Last edited:
'This feature modifies players’ attributes to provide an enhanced and friendlier gameplay experience. When turned on, the increase in relevant attributes makes players feel more responsive and accurate, providing a similar experience as when playing FUT with high chemistry.'

Basically a stat boost.

Defenders and Defensive Midfielders
  • Acceleration +6, Sprint Speed +4, Aggression +2
  • Vision +2, Short Passing +4, Long Passing +2, Reactions +4, Composure +4
  • Interceptions +8, Defensive Awareness +10, Stand Tackle +8, Slide Tackle +4
I tried it and my defenders were less like traffi comes.

Huh, this is confusing. I don't mean what you've typed, which is clear and detailed. I mean the purpose/idea behind this option, "enhanced and friendlier" means nothing. Previously it sounded to me like an option to have more realistic defending offline (more AI), but it's basically another option to fut-ify the game? Can you opt out of the added speed/responsiveness? Why isn't this defensive awareness thing a slider? Seems a bit important.

But interesting that defenders are less dumb in fut, where most people don't want "AI". Maybe I'm still not getting it, but what a confusing mess!

And now that basic football brainz are a stat... Does that mean that in a lower league with lower stats, there is just no defending? That would be hilarious.

Last edited:
Huh, this is confusing. I don't mean what you've typed, which is clear and detailed. I mean the purpose behind this option. Previously it sounded like an option to have more realistic defending offline (more AI), but it's basically another option to fut-ify the game? Can you opt out of the added speed/responsiveness? Why isn't this defensive awareness thing a slider? Seems a bit important.

But interesting that defenders are less dumb in fut, where most people don't want "AI". Maybe I'm still not getting it, but what a confusing mess!

And now that basic football brainz are a stat... Does that mean that in a lower league with lower stats, there is just no defending? That would be hilarious.

So yeah it's a bit weird, gives you an artificial stat boot that can only be used in Kick-off but it says this is the preferred way to play the game and replicates the boots you get in other UT.

So they've just come out and said that playing it the 'classic' way, (with normal stats) is wrong.

Also it default (boosted) mode did have an effect on my defenders abilities for the better. So those pro players are playing with enhanced defenders that defend better than guys who play Career Mode, which is kinda the opposite of what both parties want.

Playing with anyone outside of the top 5/6 teams will render you defence pointless. I play with Tottenham and I struggle.

@fernadez really appreciate all your detailed info on FIFA 21,the good and obviously a lot of bad stuff.
I'm not touching this game if all the things implemented works like you've described it.
Always been defense guy first,and it's so bad that they've tone down one of the most important things in football and made it in to this (FIFA 20).
Thanks buddy

So those pro players are playing with enhanced defenders that defend better than guys who play Career Mode, which is kinda the opposite of what both parties want.

Hyped!
If this is true and defending is better in FUT than in CM then 21 is about to reach a whole new level of ridiculousness I never thought possible.

Back
Top Bottom