FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

First thoughts. Graphically improved (of course). The new camera compliments the stadiums so well. Now the array of stadiums in the game aren’t so useless, I’m looking forward to testing it out on some of my favourite stadiums in Germany and Spain. Gameplay is practically the same. Back with FIFA 14 I felt the Next Gen upgrade covered all areas, but with this Next Gen upgrade it’s visually much better whilst the game feels exactly the same.

First thoughts. Graphically improved (of course). The new camera compliments the stadiums so well. Now the array of stadiums in the game aren’t so useless, I’m looking forward to testing it out on some of my favourite stadiums in Germany and Spain. Gameplay is practically the same. Back with FIFA 14 I felt the Next Gen upgrade covered all areas, but with this Next Gen upgrade it’s visually much better whilst the game feels exactly the same.
It’s sad that the biggest problem we have in football games now is the philosophy of the people making them...

I played almost four hours straight, so there's that. Does that mean anything? I'm not quite sure myself.

They should make the gap between the back four and the midfielders much smaller when out of possession so it's harder for the attacking team to break into that space. Also, defenders should be better at tracking striker runs. That would be enough already. The AI is not supposed to actually win the ball for you. Just switch to the correct defender and tackle the opponent yourself when the opportunity arises.

We actually mostly agree. Although I think 1v1s should be shot dead and you think 1v1s should be shot in the foot and somehow survive.

The space available between the lines (and midfielders not tracking back) is a huge part of 1v1s. It's no accident that when they marketed fifa 20, Rivera used the exact words: "You'll have more time and space to take on people 1 v 1". So once you've addressed that you're half-way there. The killing blow would be second man press that actually works. Then we're back to playing football like when fifa was actually decent. It's the same tired argument that every fut player uses. The AI should not defend/win the ball for you. To which I only have 2 things to say:

1) First a huge plot-twist: The player controlled with second man press is not an AI controlled player! It's a second player 100% controlled by user input! Then again the average fut player is not very bright I suppose to realize that second man press is controlling 2 players at the same time. Who would have thought that people shouting "No AI defending" and "Git Gud" about the new ... "no defending" system, would get this wrong? :)

2) Online you can see who the selected/active opponent player is. The meta is not playing football. It's "just avoid the big bad wolf with the red arrow over his head, the other 10 guys can't hurt you". That's just idiotic. But if they want to keep it... hey I don't care. I won't play fut in a million years. Offline it makes no sense. I don't care who I lose the ball too, I just want to play football. No matter how you define "AI defending", it should 100% be a thing offline, all 11 opponent players are cpu controlled anyway, lol.

Last edited:
Yes it still looks a bit too easy and open but have to say, some of what I've seen on youtube looks pretty good.
A tempo and rhythm to the ball and players I havent seen in fifa before.
Great teammate attacking AI.
Games look exciting and dynamic like real matches. The ball looks exciting on shots.
Graphics pretty good for now. Pretty great in some settings.

Also, in some videos, opposition CM's are really closing down the player, snapping at then in middle of pitch..

With Matt's sliders this could be worth looking at.

I'll wait for your impressions here but this could see a ps5 order for me..

(I can look past skating and wonky animations, I dont know why but fifa's freedome compensates...)

So much of this looks good. (Yes, weird animations still there, accepted).

Imagine this, but less open, with those pesky CM's not switching off when you get 40 yards from cpu goal.

You can see great moments of Allan covering the DM area at times, even looking round for who he should be covering, but then, they just disengage.
Why would EA sabotage their own game like this??

Maybe this game is.more.amenable to Matt's sliders...

Matt tweeted a few hours ago that the problems with midfield tracking are always the same. Hope he'll pass here to expand a bit about it.

I think the game play has improved personally. Not huge strides, but certainly noticeable.

Players feel more weighted to their physical attributes, the ball physics are the best they have ever been. Midfield battles seem a thing now too.

Defending is still...... meh.

Loving the new camera. And graphically, it's as you would expect, wonderful.

Overall, I'm enjoying it.

So much of this looks good. (Yes, weird animations still there, accepted).

Imagine this, but less open, with those pesky CM's not switching off when you get 40 yards from cpu goal.

You can see great moments of Allan covering the DM area at times, even looking round for who he should be covering, but then, they just disengage.
Why would EA sabotage their own game like this??

Maybe this game is.more.amenable to Matt's sliders...

Good to see the fans being more detailed than the referees:D

What do I have to do to update the game with the NG update?!
My version is at 1.09. last update yesterday 8:17 pm.

get the next-gen version, log into your PS5 or Xbox Series X or S with the platform account associated with your last-gen copy of FIFA 21, pop over to your game library, and you should see the icon for the free PS5 upgrade. Buy this (it should be free) and then you can download the next-gen version. On PS5 you're looking at a download of around 50GB.

get the next-gen version, log into your PS5 or Xbox Series X or S with the platform account associated with your last-gen copy of FIFA 21, pop over to your game library, and you should see the icon for the free PS5 upgrade. Buy this (it should be free) and then you can download the next-gen version. On PS5 you're looking at a download of around 50GB.
Found it. Thanks man!! :TU:

Please report back once you've played it!
I will my friend!!

Thing is, there was no tile in my library. I had a search for it and then it was shown.
currently downloading, 1,5 hours to go...

so sad Sony not mentioning that those cross gen games with a PS5 Update take double the space on our ssd’s.
i only have one of those games by now... but could/should be better. Anyway... I take it as a flaw of generation transition (I don’t bother to much as it’s only for some time).

I'm currently on Xbox series S and when playing at night, the player shadows disappear sometimes. Is this happening to anyone else?

I will my friend!!

Thing is, there was no tile in my library. I had a search for it and then it was shown.

so sad Sony not mentioning that those cross gen games with a PS5 Update take double the space on our ssd’s.
i only have one of those games by now... but could/should be better. Anyway... I take it as a flaw of generation transition (I don’t bother to much as it’s only for some time).

Surely though, once you download the PS5 version you can delete the PS4 version or there no option to do that?

Hi folks!
My personal footage of FIFA 21 on PS5. Enjoy. FUMA and Legend, no sliders, 8 minutes by half
Liverpool - PSG :

Olympique Lyonnais Vs AS St Etienne

England vs France

I will my friend!!

Downloaded at lunch.
You can delete the PS4 version of the game.
I just went to my collection and selected the PS4 version and deleted.

First impression is good. Graphically it's nice, thanks to the new animations the game feels much better. Gameplay is improved but still close to the PS4 version. For now it's okay but I must test it more.

Is the gameplay any better ?

Yes yes ans yes.
Gameplay is better, ans slower.
Contacts between players are really great. IA styles on legend are more variée. No more fun from the side, more construction.
With default sliders, i have centers, shoots from outside the surface, headers. The New view IS really great but sometimes there are some slowdowns on my PS5 and my Series X.

You can't see really the difference in my videos for graphics but there are damned clean. Some Bad LOD for Lloris for exemple but I haven't seen aliasing

Yes yes ans yes.
Gameplay is better, ans slower.
Contacts between players are really great. IA styles on legend are more variée. No more fun from the side, more construction.
With default sliders, i have centers, shoots from outside the surface, headers. The New view IS really great but sometimes there are some slowdowns on my PS5 and my Series X.

You can't see really the difference in my videos for graphics but there are damned clean. Some Bad LOD for Lloris for exemple but I haven't seen aliasing

Thanks for posting!

I've seen those slow.downs on YouTube.

Is the midfield any better at offering some resistance?
I'm not expecting fifa 16 levels of clogging the midfield but is it any better than ps4?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom