FIFA (All Versions) Career Mode Stories

I find balanced best for counter attacking. Fast build up is if you want to play Man City type football with your right and left backs pushed up high at all times. Very dangerous tactic against good sides but a great way to dominate matches.
But if you mix fast build up attacking with drop back defending, your side backs should stay in reasonably safe position.
I usually use them both together.

This is a different game in Broadcast. It’s harder which is all I want because the rest of the gameplay is great.

Plus the stadiums look amazing.

No fouls is annoying too but we’re all used to that. It’s ridiculous really.

This is a different game in Broadcast. It’s harder which is all I want because the rest of the gameplay is great.

Plus the stadiums look amazing.

No fouls is annoying too but we’re all used to that. It’s ridiculous really.
If you want it difficult I'd start with one of the worst teams in the division as opposed to one of the best! I think that makes more of a difference this year than ever before - either that or I'm just terrible (I'm really struggling on Ultimate with Newcastle, and that's with a few star purchases)...

This game is so different depending on where you play, that at the minute I have 3 separate CM on the go.

Mallorca in spanish d2
Energie Cottbus in 3rd Bundesliga
And Bradford City in League One.

Playing with crappy teams is so much fun. First big team you meet is always a big thing and feels special.
Love the way game is fair from the get go. I enjoy all pre season tournaments and dont skip them like in Pes. Youth Academy in all three saves is coming along nicely.
Real shame about fouls, but at this point its definetely not a gamebreaker to me. Rest makes up for it.

I've finally started a proper career on 19 after all the comments, in these past days. I choosed Parma, mid-low table Serie A team with some players I like. Ultimate level, sliders a mix of Krebstar, Matt and personal tweaks.

I've sold Iacoponi (already have two right fullbacks, one around his overall and one younger) and Scozzarella (out of my project), and put all my efforts on Tonali, serie b central, young midfielder, the supposedly heir of Pirlo. Brought him in for around 8 mln. My market ended there and I saved like 2 mln of budget.

Well the playing start was a bit of a shock, was eliminated just by Tonali's team Brescia in the first Coppa Italia round :P with a 0-1 in which I maybe underestimated them a bit, then Serie A started and the first game was a 0-0 against Udinese.

Then.. I had Juventus.. and man. Don't know how to put it.. they kicked me in the balls! Maybe I shouldn't have started with the equilibrated formation, but I did and immediately took two goals, which lead me to put the guys on offensive.. and.. in a few words, I ended up losing 0-7 :BLINK:.
Learned my lesson and then went against Inter at San Siro parking the bus from the get go.. which after a whole game of great pression by them, granted me a nice 0-0 in which I even failed a good chance on a counter attack last action of the game.

Looks promising!

@Madmac79 - make sure you use L2 advanced tactics in squad menu. Set up individually all the ultra-defensive-attack formations and tactics and just flick between them depending on the situation.
By default they were all changing my formation to 4-5-1 even tho i play 4-4-2 so I had to personalise them all.
And I found that I really need to change them during matches, as AI is proper clever on ultimate.

One annoying bug - sometimes after I make small adjustment my team is changing the players positions. And I mean - all over the place. CM up front, ST as CDM... i was wondering why my team feels like no one knows what they're doing and only then I realised all my players were swapped around. So after any adjustment I got a habit to check if they are still where they supposed to be.

Last edited:
@Emroth Yeah I set them all up individually- Don't know if it's just me tho, but I find it a bit counterintuitive. I mean, it would be nice to have an option that set a determinate thing (a module or a players position) for all the kind of mentality options, without having to edit every single one.. but it's not possible isn't it, or am I missing something?

@Emroth Yeah I set them all up individually- Don't know if it's just me tho, but I find it a bit counterintuitive. I mean, it would be nice to have an option that set a determinate thing (a module or a players position) for all the kind of mentality options, without having to edit every single one.. but it's not possible isn't it, or am I missing something?
On FUT, you can copy/paste your changes between slots (for tweaking a base formation). In Career Mode, the option isn't there. For absolutely no reason...

If it is - i dont know how to.
I did them all individually.
I basically set them having different different mindsets in mind
- ultra def: park the bus
- def: playing against stronger teams, or when im up 1-0
- attack: having to push a bit harder, or get a goal back
- ultra attack: gloves off/fuck all to loose.
:LOL:

I restarted my CM , FIFA 19*, after latest update, fourth reboot, same team ,HSV, same first signing. Erick Aguirre from Pachuca, he is my favorite wonderkid since pes2015.
What I feel a little different this time, it seemed the transfer frequency is a little bit higher this time. There are almost 5 transfers close to 100 million Euros, which is something rare for first summer and for the first time and a reason I can’t explain , maybe the offer to Pachuca triggered some event? 4 Mexican clubs have made offers to 4 German players of mine.

Last edited:
I thought i would get a quick game in. I was halfway through downloading the update and the PS4 turned off and now it wont come back on. I press the controller button and it begins to boot up but then goes off again. Is it the ‘Blue Light of Death’? :(

I cannot hold the off button in for 7 seconds as suggested because that button has not worked since it fell on the front about 2 years ago.

Any ideas?

I thought i would get a quick game in. I was halfway through downloading the update and the PS4 turned off and now it wont come back on. I press the controller button and it begins to boot up but then goes off again. Is it the ‘Blue Light of Death’? :(

I cannot hold the off button in for 7 seconds as suggested because that button has not worked since it fell on the front about 2 years ago.

Any ideas?

Got it working again now but don’t know how.

Anyway I just played Middlesbrough who are top and got hammered again 3-0. Since beating Millwall 0-2 I have lost 3-0, 0-4, 3-0. We are now in the relegation zone and cannot buy a goal. :(

Got it working again now but don’t know how.

Anyway I just played Middlesbrough who are top and got hammered again 3-0. Since beating Millwall 0-2 I have lost 3-0, 0-4, 3-0. We are now in the relegation zone and cannot buy a goal. :(
I was flicking between the three careers, depending on my mood and I was having fun. Wasnt really invested into any of them.
But I've realised that, even tho all teams are similar (stats wise), I struggle most with Bradford City. That got me picking this save more and more and last few days this is the only way I play. Really tough. Got eliminated from Carabao cup in first round (penalties after 1-1 draw).
Yesterday I finally had my first league win.
Until now I was circling around relegation zone, but after this win I jumped to 16th.
To be honest I thought League One will be walk in the park and proper challenge will start higher up. By the looks of it - ill be lucky if I dont get kicked out to League Two. :LOL:

I enjoyed this match Wigan v Blackburn, 21st v 24th a relegation battle already and only in November.

Brief highlights here....

Great game. Id say it kept you on your toes!

Ps. Does it not annoy you when they keep abusing this poor corner flag? :LOL:
I always keep controlling player after the goal and divert them somewhere else triggering random celebrations. Cant look at this corner flag ones anymore.

Great game. Id say it kept you on your toes!

Ps. Does it not annoy you when they keep abusing this poor corner flag? :LOL:
I always keep controlling player after the goal and divert them somewhere else triggering random celebrations. Cant look at this corner flag ones anymore.

Heh heh it annoys me too. I don’t know how to change the celebrations and i’m worried in case i skip the replay. It’s a shame that they don’t have automatic random ones and also individual ones like they do in PES. I used to love the one when the team gets a goal back and the player grabs hold of the ball and runs to the center circle giving a fist pump along the way. It really added to the atmosphere and tension whatever side you was.

Question, lads.
Anyone tried Player Career? Is it worth to invest time? Is it fun?
And one last question - when you pick your manager avatar, there are few empty slots. Is it for when you do player career and later on transform into manager? Does this avatar stays there?

Heh heh it annoys me too. I don’t know how to change the celebrations and i’m worried in case i skip the replay. It’s a shame that they don’t have automatic random ones and also individual ones like they do in PES. I used to love the one when the team gets a goal back and the player grabs hold of the ball and runs to the center circle giving a fist pump along the way. It really added to the atmosphere and tension whatever side you was.
You can still control player after scoring a goal. So you can run around, which will stop him (going to a corner flag anyway.)
As long as you dont press X it shouldnt cancel replay. As for celebrations - there are triggered by combo of buttons (apart of X button) square and triangle, or L1/L2, R1/R2 together with square, triangle or circle. Even right sticks do some (similar to skill moves)
There are tons of them..
To be honest with you I've no idea which are which, i usually press few buttons and see what happens.. :LOL:

You can still control player after scoring a goal. So you can run around, which will stop him (going to a corner flag anyway.)
As long as you dont press X it shouldnt cancel replay. As for celebrations - there are triggered by combo of buttons (apart of X button) square and triangle, or L1/L2, R1/R2 together with square, triangle or circle. Even right sticks do some (similar to skill moves)
There are tons of them..
To be honest with you I've no idea which are which, i usually press few buttons and see what happens.. :LOL:

I will try that next time hopefully i wont get any like this ...

Number 2 is the funniest one :LOL:

Question, lads.
Anyone tried Player Career? Is it worth to invest time? Is it fun?
And one last question - when you pick your manager avatar, there are few empty slots. Is it for when you do player career and later on transform into manager? Does this avatar stays there?
It's rubbish!
Absolute shit.
I've played it from fifa 15 and onwards,nothing has changed,you start off with an everlasting contract (no years specified) once you get better,you'll only end up in city/United/Chelsea/Arsenal etc.

It's ok the first two season when you're a 70 -75 ovr playing lower league (if you chose such team)
But it gets boring real fast.
Btw,don't create anything over 6 feet,you'll be slow as fuck forever.
Only upside Vs Pes player career is that you can control your player or the whole team.
Stay away from it,it's so bad!

Yeah,when you retire,your avatar goes into management

It's rubbish!
Absolute shit.
I've played it from fifa 15 and onwards,nothing has changed,you start off with an everlasting contract (no years specified) once you get better,you'll only end up in city/United/Chelsea/Arsenal etc.

It's ok the first two season when you're a 70 -75 ovr playing lower league (if you chose such team)
But it gets boring real fast.
Btw,don't create anything over 6 feet,you'll be slow as fuck forever.
Only upside Vs Pes player career is that you can control your player or the whole team.
Stay away from it,it's so bad!

Yeah,when you retire,your avatar goes into management
Thanks, pal.
So basically only good thing about it is the avatar bonus at the end..
I played few matches there with a really handsome bloke that I created from scratch. Most of haircuts were locked, which annoyed me from the get go. Matches itself werent bad, but I was aware it will become really boring really fast. So after few games went back to my Bradford City.

Currently on 12th place. Really challenging but really fun.
I've discovered L1 close dribbling and some cool, weird mutation - L1+sprint, which is sort of like Pes dribbling. Feels like less directions but more smooth at the same time. You ever tried it?
There is so many "hidden" controls in this game..

Thanks, pal.
So basically only good thing about it is the avatar bonus at the end..
I played few matches there with a really handsome bloke that I created from scratch. Most of haircuts were locked, which annoyed me from the get go. Matches itself werent bad, but I was aware it will become really boring really fast. So after few games went back to my Bradford City.

Currently on 12th place. Really challenging but really fun.
I've discovered L1 close dribbling and some cool, weird mutation - L1+sprint, which is sort of like Pes dribbling. Feels like less directions but more smooth at the same time. You ever tried it?
There is so many "hidden" controls in this game..
Theres a lot of good stuff in FIFA's dribbling, love that aspect.
Watching Leeds v Villa right now,that's how a football game should be,I'm sure you'll see the highlights later in if not seen it, absolute bonkers that game.
I'll return to fifa when it looks like that:)

Just pity that EA focus so much on english football, leaving the rest bit behind.
Its not only about stadiums (altho its a huge part), the whole presentation, chants, everything is way more polished there.
Dont get me wrong, its still great to see D2's in other leagues (even D3 in germany), but it just feels more shallow there.
Example - Mallorca, D2. No third kit, they rarely even say "Mallorca", there is no commentary names there.
Bradford - basically D3 - commentator knows every single name in my squad. You can hear stadium announcements with full names who is getting substituted by who.
Atmosphere is way more immerse.
Wish they did the same in whole Italy, Spain and Germany. A lot of third kits are missing, even in top divisions. Altho the last issue is also in Premier League.
Little bit more love would be nice.

Just pity that EA focus so much on english football, leaving the rest bit behind.
Its not only about stadiums (altho its a huge part), the whole presentation, chants, everything is way more polished there.
Dont get me wrong, its still great to see D2's in other leagues (even D3 in germany), but it just feels more shallow there.
Example - Mallorca, D2. No third kit, they rarely even say "Mallorca", there is no commentary names there.
Bradford - basically D3 - commentator knows every single name in my squad. You can hear stadium announcements with full names who is getting substituted by who.
Atmosphere is way more immerse.
Wish they did the same in whole Italy, Spain and Germany. A lot of third kits are missing, even in top divisions. Altho the last issue is also in Premier League.
Little bit more love would be nice.
The idea/illusion of an amazing Premier League with its tremendous atmosphere,especially at Utd and chelsea... (hate hearing that one/two chants going around for 90 min) is what sells.
And most people buy into that,regardless if Spain/Italy/Germany/France has better atmosphere and often better teams/players (not this year though if looking at the CL) but I don't think they're interested in that after paying huge sums for a PL licence!
Besides,can't beat what a gazillion TV supporters wants right?

And i agree,it would be a deeper experience for us if they did,most disappointed with the BL and Serie A licence they have,and hardly any stadiums (5 in BL 1 in BL2 and three Serie a stadiums)

Last edited:
The idea/illusion of an amazing Premier League with its tremendous atmosphere,especially at Utd and chelseas is what sells.
And most people buy into that,regardless if Spain/Italy/Germany/France has better atmosphere and often better teams/players (not this year though if looking at the CL) but I don't think they're interested in that after paying huge sums for a PL licence!
Besides,can't beat what a gazillion TV supporters wants right?
Yes, but the things I mentioned dont require money, just a bit more love.
I dont need to have D4 in Spain.. but its nice to hear some names being called out by commentator. Little things like that add up. ;)

Yes, but the things I mentioned dont require money, just a bit more love.
I dont need to have D4 in Spain.. but its nice to hear some names being called out by commentator. Little things like that add up. ;)
Agree,but then again,focus is on PL/championship,which means why would they?
I think La Liga has a good package,I'm a bit more offended pissed off when they have a licence,which no one else can use,and don't really care about it.
They should have 50-100% of the stadiums they have licences for.
Nevermind a call name for a La Liga 123 club(which is also licensed)

Still enjoying it a lot. 9th in the league with Bradford. 6W4D5L.
Defending is proper nerfed in compare to fifa18, probably due to better response. They move really fast and its hard to time a tackle. So I changed formation to 4-5-1 with two DMF's in order to focus more on interceptions rather than 1-1 tackles.
There are moments when, after scoring a goal, you can "feel" AI going a bit mad. Once they get to a shooting opportunity they can have an absolute screamer from outside the box, even in League One with crappy players (and high shot error).
But its nothing in compare to Pes19 and its blatant AI boosts.
There are few games out there which caught my attention, but next few weeks will be a bit busy, so for the moment ill stick to this CM.
Its a really enjoyable campaign.

Edit: lowering Acceleration to 45, even tho it felt fantastic at the start, failed in a long run.
It was worth doing tho. It taught me a lot how to defend and when to tackle. Its kinda like learning your moves in Karate by doing it slow at the start. :LOL:
At the end it didnt fail because of stamina, which I got used to after a while and didnt bother me.
It failed as players start to the ball was very sluggish. I dont mind slow tempo of the matches, but it started getting in a way when defending or attacking. Every deflection, every ball that i should get to, just wasnt happening. I conceded few goals as my defenders didnt get to the ball in time to clear it, i didnt score few goals as my striker didnt get to tap the ball to an empty net.
Basically it looked like someone was holding them back for a second or two before they started running.
So im back to 50/50, with much improved defending skills that I learned from it.
Only downside is now i need to readjust to stamina depletion again. My players cant do full 90mins sprints on Contant Pressure anymore. :LOL:

Last edited:
I finally finished November and it was a bit of a strange month. I went on a bit of a losing run and decided to change the camera view because i was struggling on broadcast. Then we got a couple of wins and finished off with a thriller!

We played...

(h) Leeds (17th)
(a) Middlesbrough (1st)
(h) Reading (11th)
(h) Blackburn (24th)
(a) Bolton (21st)

We have been hovering in and out of the relegation zone the whole month. Hopefully starting to pick up now. Enjoy the 25 goals scored in this latest video.

Tiny off topic, but wanted to share something weird..
I think Fifa has ruined Pes17 for me.. :LOL:
I came home after weekend at work, watched some shit movie and decided to play few matches.
Played two, lost both (0-1, 0-2)
Coz I was really tired, I thought to myself
"Nah, Fifa is a bit too hectic for my reactions today, ill put Pes17 on"
I remembered my ML career was easier than FIFA career, still challenging, but easier.
So before I started I raised difficulty on Pes.
I played 3 matches - won 6-2, 5-0 and 6-0..:BLINK: it... wasnt fun at all.
Everything in Pes was easier! Most shots were going on target, i was dancing around AI, not to mention defence.. i was taking the ball away like candies from children..
Whatever way FIFA plays on ultimate, it really taught me great deal about defending, tackling and positioning..
Going back to my League One tonight!

Last edited:
I am getting slightly concerned with the game as there are goals flying in everywhere now.

Sheff U 3 v Wigan 0
Wigan 0 v Leeds 4
Middlesbrough 3 v Wigan 0
Wigan 4 v Reading 1
Wigan 3 v Blackburn 2
Bolton 4 v Wigan 4
Wigan 6 v Derby 4

In the last two games i was 2 goals behind in about the last 10 mins and i was finding so much space. It’s as if the CPU needed more goals. And in the last match i scored 4 goals in the last 10 mins. I was quite confident too because of the space.

Hmm.... not sure what it is as i am playing on Ultimate and full manual. The only thing is i have my passing and shooting accuracy at 50. Maybe i should raise it.

Actually i just remembered that i had given myself a point advantage over the cpu in Top Speed and Acceleration. So that may have something to do with it too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom