General Sim Racing Thread

Work, kids, family.. haven`t enough time to play online, that`s why racing against ai is my thing. I see that the more sim is popular and it`s online modes are growing the more toxic becomes, just like in football games. I play only rFactor 2, Raceroom and a little good old Assetto Corsa just becouse of this. rF2 and RR have amazing ai and physics, AC for mods. Sadly I can`t say this for any football game, repetitive ai, issues with physics...
Got ya.
I do like my races vs. AI in ACC, AC and AMS2 (my 3 favorite sims). Online races are the cherry on top, as I was able to find out (and you probably know, I can sure make myself a pleasant day while enjoying a good single player game).

So there was no hurdle from the technical viewpoint, to start with. No lags or such are hampering the experience. No lengthy searches for players, no filter for different difficulties.
The drivers, 99%, are likeminded. They all want to sim, not to need for speed. No hurdle here as well.
And then there is striving for victory, wich presents itself here much more natural and grown up. We do have live debriefings after races and do discuss in discord, using the replay from the race. So if there was an incident, we talk about it. Helps all users involved and next time you’ll have a better race (hopefully).
These are just 3 points who differ from what I experienced in football games over the decades. 🤷‍♂️
I could go on in more detail or with different points…

As you said, AC for its amazing modding options… wich are insanely good. (from graphics, to cars, to tracks, to apps….). I don’t know a game that even comes close. My only sim where I can drive the Nordschleife. Did some VR here as well.
AMS2 (for now without season pass) for the gfx and performance! Nice collection of different car series and variety in tracks. 2 weeks ago I installed me some bass shaker to my rig and oh my… it’s another level of immersion now. Love it! ❤️ AMS2 gives such good feedback to the app controlling the basses. Ace.
ACC is the main sim. Best physics imo. I found a lovely community where we race but more for fun. We have standings and such… but it’s more about the community doing good races together. And rookies can learn so well here… I am for sure.

Public is another story and I can see you are right here.
Then there are pro leagues and events. The guys usually know what they are doing so I see it like real motorsport and it’s shenanigans (See F1 for example).
I’d say, the audience playing these sims could be described as the pyramide flipped over i guess, compared to football games. And it shows in the behavior, imo.
In our community, we have a very passionate and awesome mod. everybody is welcome, alien or rookie, just do behave and we’ll all have fun. 🤷‍♂️😊

brumm brumm… 😊

Last edited:
I’d say, the audience playing these sims could be described as the pyramide flipped over i guess, compared to football games. And it shows in the behavior, imo.
In our community, we have a very passionate and awesome mod. everybody is welcome, alien or rookie, just do behave and we’ll all have fun. 🤷‍♂️😊
People might be welcoming when you join certain sim racing communities, but outside of these bubbles, sim racers are constantly hating on each other. On RaceDepartment, every news thread basically turns into a flame war after a few posts.

People might be welcoming when you join certain sim racing communities, but outside of these bubbles, sim racers are constantly hating on each other. On RaceDepartment, every news thread basically turns into a flame war after a few posts.
i just download stuff there, not to involved into discussions.
yeah, a community is always mixed with different people. 🤷‍♂️

And I don’t race too much on public server.

Got ya.
I do like my races vs. AI in ACC, AC and AMS2 (my 3 favorite sims). Online races are the cherry on top, as I was able to find out (and you probably know, I can sure make myself a pleasant day while enjoying a good single player game).

So there was no hurdle from the technical viewpoint, to start with. No lags or such are hampering the experience. No lengthy searches for players, no filter for different difficulties.
The drivers, 99%, are likeminded. They all want to sim, not to need for speed. No hurdle here as well.
And then there is striving for victory, wich presents itself here much more natural and grown up. We do have live debriefings after races and do discuss in discord, using the replay from the race. So if there was an incident, we talk about it. Helps all users involved and next time you’ll have a better race (hopefully).
These are just 3 points who differ from what I experienced in football games over the decades. 🤷‍♂️
I could go on in more detail or with different points…

As you said, AC for its amazing modding options… wich are insanely good. (from graphics, to cars, to tracks, to apps….). I don’t know a game that even comes close. My only sim where I can drive the Nordschleife. Did some VR here as well.
AMS2 (for now without season pass) for the gfx and performance! Nice collection of different car series and variety in tracks. 2 weeks ago I installed me some bass shaker to my rig and oh my… it’s another level of immersion now. Love it! ❤️ AMS2 gives such good feedback to the app controlling the basses. Ace.
ACC is the main sim. Best physics imo. I found a lovely community where we race but more for fun. We have standings and such… but it’s more about the community doing good races together. And rookies can learn so well here… I am for sure.

Public is another story and I can see you are right here.
Then there are pro leagues and events. The guys usually know what they are doing so I see it like real motorsport and it’s shenanigans (See F1 for example).

brumm brumm… 😊
I agree with everything you said. I like AMS 2 and bought it even before it was released, when beta testing began. It's amazing how Reiza succeed to transform PC2 engine to this level but, big BUT some stuff is like hardcoded in the madness engine, some physics stuff and the main issue for me, braking. It was so inconsistent sometimes that made me to turn off the sim.
I will suggest you to try rFactor 2 and Raceroom. rFactor 2 has best ffb, best physics, nothing comes close belive me, ai is good, tracks are the most detailed out there, mods in 90% of the time are great. No other sim gives me feeling like I was in the car and feel and feel every inch of the tyres, how it behaves, it was the best. The negative side is online, you have to be part of some league to have good online races, lack of offline championship mode and tinkering with word file for some stuff. Aside of that rFactor 2 has best rain implementation of all sims, only negative side is that air temperature doesn't affect tyres and track state which is very well done in AMS2.
Raceroom on the other hand doesn't have these fancy stuff but it was closest to rFactor 2 in all regards minus weather and night racing. Raceroom ai is best from all sim racing titles, has mind blowing variety of official car classes, old and modern. Physics based ffb which is awesome. Online is also where Raceroom shine, for me it was the best experience I ever had. Tried iracing before but I can't compare them becouse iracing is made for online racing but it's toxic behaviour of the people there is getting ridiculous. Only one stuff I like about iracing that are the tracks. If you want to race I mean purely racing go for Raceroom!
Just one more thing, I have a friend who drives Porsche Carrera Cup car in Porsche Carrera Italy competition, I asked him what he use for practise while at home? His answer was:
- when I learn new track and want to feel the car rFactor 2, when I want to practise for consistency, and have actual race Raceroom. He didn't mention these other titles...
Have a nice weekend mate and drive what made you happy and satisfied, that's the best thing in our hobby, satisfaction :)

I agree with everything you said. I like AMS 2 and bought it even before it was released, when beta testing began. It's amazing how Reiza succeed to transform PC2 engine to this level but, big BUT some stuff is like hardcoded in the madness engine, some physics stuff and the main issue for me, braking. It was so inconsistent sometimes that made me to turn off the sim.
I will suggest you to try rFactor 2 and Raceroom. rFactor 2 has best ffb, best physics, nothing comes close belive me, ai is good, tracks are the most detailed out there, mods in 90% of the time are great. No other sim gives me feeling like I was in the car and feel and feel every inch of the tyres, how it behaves, it was the best. The negative side is online, you have to be part of some league to have good online races, lack of offline championship mode and tinkering with word file for some stuff. Aside of that rFactor 2 has best rain implementation of all sims, only negative side is that air temperature doesn't affect tyres and track state which is very well done in AMS2.
Raceroom on the other hand doesn't have these fancy stuff but it was closest to rFactor 2 in all regards minus weather and night racing. Raceroom ai is best from all sim racing titles, has mind blowing variety of official car classes, old and modern. Physics based ffb which is awesome. Online is also where Raceroom shine, for me it was the best experience I ever had. Tried iracing before but I can't compare them becouse iracing is made for online racing but it's toxic behaviour of the people there is getting ridiculous. Only one stuff I like about iracing that are the tracks. If you want to race I mean purely racing go for Raceroom!
Just one more thing, I have a friend who drives Porsche Carrera Cup car in Porsche Carrera Italy competition, I asked him what he use for practise while at home? His answer was:
- when I learn new track and want to feel the car rFactor 2, when I want to practise for consistency, and have actual race Raceroom. He didn't mention these other titles...
Have a nice weekend mate and drive what made you happy and satisfied, that's the best thing in our hobby, satisfaction :)
Ah… that’s an answer. 👏

And I’ll start with the end! Yes, that’s it. nail on the head. It needs to be fun first, satisfying your personal needs! Then the rest can follow…

As it’s super cheap, I’ll give rfactor2 a try this Sunday. Like to test the ffb. What I actually don’t need is more content. I have plenty with the 3 sims I mentioned. But you know… I’m curious now. 😊

Raceroom i deinstalled just this week. It’s ok, but not mine really… and again, I have plenty of content in other games already. The FOV setup is ace though. Top class!

edit: just bought it. Downloading now. Let’s see what the ffb brings to the table. Really curious now… 😂

Last edited:
Ah… that’s an answer. 👏

And I’ll start with the end! Yes, that’s it. nail on the head. It needs to be fun first, satisfying your personal needs! Then the rest can follow…

As it’s super cheap, I’ll give rfactor2 a try this Sunday. Like to test the ffb. What I actually don’t need is more content. I have plenty with the 3 sims I mentioned. But you know… I’m curious now. 😊

Raceroom i deinstalled just this week. It’s ok, but not mine really… and again, I have plenty of content in other games already. The FOV setup is ace though. Top class!

edit: just bought it. Downloading now. Let’s see what the ffb brings to the table. Really curious now… 😂
Will wait for your report if you liked it :)
One suggestion, since ffb in rFactor can be set globally and per car, don't forget to enter in the settings menu before session and to lower ffb. Load controller before seetting and assign comands in settings (if you use fanatec, osw, thrustmaster load that profile). I found mine sweet spot at 20-25% generally, some cars have stronger ffb by default or setup so keep that in mind, you have to do this once. Also I use 30 Nm OSW whell, if you use lower torque wheelbase you can increase these numbers but don't go very high becouse ffb in rf2 can be nasty becouse it's very precise, one bump on the road can cause pain even injury if ffb is set too strong.
If you need help pm me :)

After more than a year, it was time for me to get some new gloves. the old ones are worn out a bit and will become guest driver gloves!
…and how the new ones fit the livery of the new car I’m using so well! 👌 coincidenc!? 😉

A cockpit to my liking… 😍 👏

…one day…! 🤞
Bro, do you have or plan to buy a full combo Seat/wheel/pedals ? I ain't interested by SIM racing because without it : it's too hardcore.
I made some exception with Gran Turismo as it's "controller playable" a bit more, and i grown without it (except in arcade games) so one or two days and i'm a bit used to the analog.

(Or accel/brake on the wheel too is okay, even if i prefers pedals)

Sorry but if i start to read a thread i don't feel concerned to search, i prefers to ask and it's more convivial :)

I just installed me some pure clouds for AC. Well worth some euros, imo! 🤩👏

Hey Pro. Quick stupid question. How can you access content manager from in game? Im trying to access the options menu but everytime i have to quit race and chamge from there. Thanks. Dipping my toes for first time in AC as someone totally casual and im really impressed

Hey Pro. Quick stupid question. How can you access content manager from in game? Im trying to access the options menu but everytime i have to quit race and chamge from there. Thanks. Dipping my toes for first time in AC as someone totally casual and im really impressed
great you try it, it’s a huge bag of racing fun. 🥳👏

during a race, go with with mouse cursor to the right side of the screen. A menu should pop up.

great you try it, it’s a huge bag of racing fun. 🥳👏

during a race, go with with mouse cursor to the right side of the screen. A menu should pop up.

Thanks! Yeah I can't believe I overlooked it. Again Im not hardcore but I enjoy the races.
I tried loading from in game and it works. Thank you!!! Doesnt work in the pause menu but itll do

Thanks for your help, Im still browsing thru all the options available.... its ovewhelming but damn it looks nice for it to be an +7 year old game

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah I can't believe I overlooked it. Again Im not hardcore but I enjoy the races.
I tried loading from in game and it works. Thank you!!! Doesnt work in the pause menu but itll do

Thanks for your help, Im still browsing thru all the options available.... it’s ovewhelming but damn it looks nice for it to be an +7 year old game
8D1EB713-AD77-4410-8F63-FD8D6BE38AA1.gif
if there is anything i can help you with, just ask.
send me a DM for steam, we could even chat about it.

yeah, you can set everything up in CM itself, before a race, and enter that ingame menu. I usually set it all up once (like I have to do this weekend after a fresh windows installation last week) and tinker later with minor stuff only.

View attachment 186621
if there is anything i can help you with, just ask.
send me a DM for steam, we could even chat about it.

yeah, you can set everything up in CM itself, before a race, and enter that ingame menu. I usually set it all up once (like I have to do this weekend after a fresh windows installation last week) and tinker later with minor stuff only.

Thanks so much man!

Really enjoying it and as I said I'm very pleasantly surprised. Just as I went thru installing all the footie games last year this year I installed and tried almost all the driving games (I dont even own a wheel).
I installed SOL and CSP. Now... do I need "Pure"? I haven't been able to find the right difficulty just yet, its either me jumping in the front fast, but if I increase the difficulty just a tad, the first 2-3 cars just disappear way too far ahead. But I'm sure I'll find balance

Im a very (very) casual player but what I enjoy in these sims is that I'm not racing every time to be first (as in Forza / FHorizon or more arcady games, which by the way are fun in another way), I enjoy just battling out a few laps to gain one or 2 positions even if I'm in the middle of the pack.

Thanks so much man!

Really enjoying it and as I said I'm very pleasantly surprised. Just as I went thru installing all the footie games last year this year I installed and tried almost all the driving games (I dont even own a wheel).
I installed SOL and CSP. Now... do I need "Pure"? I haven't been able to find the right difficulty just yet, its either me jumping in the front fast, but if I increase the difficulty just a tad, the first 2-3 cars just disappear way too far ahead. But I'm sure I'll find balance

Im a very (very) casual player but what I enjoy in these sims is that I'm not racing every time to be first (as in Forza / FHorizon or more arcady games, which by the way are fun in another way), I enjoy just battling out a few laps to gain one or 2 positions even if I'm in the middle of the pack.
No, you don’t need to get on Patreon for just the pure clouds. It’s super nice looking but only something for the niche users. 😂
na really, for screenshots and videos ok but I forget about it while racing.

I've downloaded a lot of racing games recently and one of my favorite ones is Raceroom, however is it normal to have long loading times? I usually want to turn it on, but the loading times turn me off.... Don't know if it's my PC or that's the way it is.
Really love the game but frustrates me if its a setting I have wrong... It can take a good minute to load to main screen and another minute to get to a race
Doesn't seem much but compared to any other game its very slow

I've downloaded a lot of racing games recently and one of my favorite ones is Raceroom, however is it normal to have long loading times? I usually want to turn it on, but the loading times turn me off.... Don't know if it's my PC or that's the way it is.
Really love the game but frustrates me if its a setting I have wrong... It can take a good minute to load to main screen and another minute to get to a race
I get you. rfactor is the same on some tracks… loads like forever. That’s a pro point for ACC. Gosh, I love the loading times there.

RaceRoom always needs to download some stuff from their servers, so depending on your ISP, loading times can be a bit longer there. It might be better with a VPN.

Assetto Corso 2 has been kind of announced and will be released Spring 2024.

1679072344314-png.647875

Back
Top Bottom