PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I've just gotten into PES 17 and am reading all the positivity here so I may have to give this one a go. Funny enough I never quite enjoyed that much at the time, probably because I played passing assist on whereas not Im fully manual. Only way to get the most out of these games imo.

Another interesting perspective is that when I played PES 15-21 I always revisited PES 5,6 & 13...

Now that this generation is finished with and PES has gone to sh** with the eFootball announcement I am now revisiting PES 17, 18 and perhaps 19. 15&16 are no goes for me.

At the time however when each of these games were released there was individual criticisms of each iteration documented on this forum. This for me had an impact on me playing and enjoying the game unwittingly and was a contributing factor to stopping playing each and picking up the older games. More fool me eh!

I think it may be the case that you learn to appreciate the good these games had in them years down the line when you hear all of the negative noise about the current PES and also the eFootball announcement, and coupled with this you hear tales like in these threads of how good things were in comparison to how bad things are!

I hope that makes sense somewhat.

At the time however when each of these games were released there was individual criticisms of each iteration documented on this forum. This for me had an impact on me playing and enjoying the game unwittingly and was a contributing factor to stopping playing each and picking up the older games. More fool me eh!

I think it may be the case that you learn to appreciate the good these games had in them years down the line when you hear all of the negative noise about the current PES and also the eFootball announcement, and coupled with this you hear tales like in these threads of how good things were in comparison to how bad things are!

I hope that makes sense somewhat.
It makes perfect sense to me, that's my experience as well. Generally a lot of people holds the latest game on the market to impossibly high standards, regardless of the actual value of the title. Then it's indeed hard to not be influenced by negative feedback and really difficult to not see the emphasis on the flaws.

I re-evaluated in a positive light a really good number of football games in the last 2-3 years.. even cause the more the industry change focus towards things I don't enjoy anymore, the less I see the shortcomings of what we had and the more I see the positive points now totally lost. However, there are also a lot of older titles I tried again that I didn't liked at all, so in the end I just think that playing a game without it being under the lens simply makes you more objective and honest if anything.

It makes perfect sense to me, that's my experience as well. Generally a lot of people holds the latest game on the market to impossibly high standards, regardless of the actual value of the title. Then it's indeed hard to not be influenced by negative feedback and really difficult to not see the emphasis on the flaws.

I re-evaluated in a positive light a really good number of football games in the last 2-3 years.. even cause the more the industry change focus towards things I don't enjoy anymore, the less I see the shortcomings of what we had and the more I see the positive points now totally lost. However, there are also a lot of older titles I tried again that I didn't liked at all, so in the end I just think that playing a game without it being under the lens simply makes you more objective and honest if anything.

Just wanted to join this and say I've have experienced this exact same thing. Once you read a criticism, it can be hard to ignore ot. Truth be told, if I'm enjoying a football game, i dont even see its faults, not for months as I rarely played more than 3-4 hours a week.

Now, if I'm enjoying a pes or fifa game and want to read the forums, I skip over any criticisms that might influence my enjoyment...

PES 2017 is the best PES since PES 5 (obviously just my opinion).

Don’t even bother with 2018. I’ve persisted with it, and I’ve even tried to enjoy PES 2019. But no game gets me out of my seat like PES 2017 does. The AI is something else. Fouls, free kicks, yellow cards, red cards, penalties (remember them?!) - the AI plays in so many different ways.

I play PES 2018 and the CPU just spams through ball over my defence over and over again - doesn’t matter if it’s Real Madrid or Burnley.

I can’t tell you what they are like pre and post patch I’m sorry, I always pull down the update.

As far as you can remember, does pes 17 have manual passing?

Pes 17 is the last game I really remember where the teams had personalities and I'd leap out of my chair screaming when I scored...

I think I'll get it this week ...

It does, altho it feels more "stiff".
Its hard to explain, but it doesnt feel like you can send the ball anywhere on the pitch, as it feels like its "rounding it up" to a more clear angle..
Like, for example, if you want to kick the ball at 35° - it will make it 45°.. at least thats how it felt to me.

..didnt stop me from playing 5 Master League seasons tho..
To me it was last Pes where ML felt... fair. I was hammering shit teams and struggling against good teams. As it should be.

Going through my bi-annual "play every football game I own" phase and recently installed PES 2018. I enjoy the dribbling in 17, 18, and 19 (especially 18/19), but PES 2018 feels great right out of the gate from a dribbling perspective. I can achieve some level of joy on 2020 and 2021, but that requires PC mods in order to massively improve player responsiveness.

I mean, right here I felt like Messi and this is vanilla gameplay.

It's probably my favorite looking football game of all time as well.

Watching him retain possession with that low center of gravity is:
ColorfulWellgroomedKatydid-max-1mb.gif

What's not tasty is the lack of awareness from your players during loose balls and player switching. A trademark of modern PES, unfortunately. This was also one of those PES games where backheels were extremely pervasive.

Last edited:
It does, altho it feels more "stiff".
Its hard to explain, but it doesnt feel like you can send the ball anywhere on the pitch, as it feels like its "rounding it up" to a more clear angle..
Like, for example, if you want to kick the ball at 35° - it will make it 45°.. at least thats how it felt to me.

..didnt stop me from playing 5 Master League seasons tho..
To me it was last Pes where ML felt... fair. I was hammering shit teams and struggling against good teams. As it should be.

Yeah, I played 3 seasons as Leicester and had the best time since pes 5.

That kind of manual doesnt necessarily sound too bad. Almost semi-annual.

Cheers

That kind of manual doesnt necessarily sound too bad. Almost semi-annual
It doesnt, but it restricts you somewhat. Its especially visible in tight spaces, where you'd like to create precise openings. I got used to it tho. Physicality was so good that it paid for everything else.

Thats where my main gripe with Pes18 was. They added a lot of freedom, great dribbling, but almost destroyed physicality. You barely got any fouls.
And rocket shots on 18 after a while got a bit too common.

It doesnt, but it restricts you somewhat. Its especially visible in tight spaces, where you'd like to create precise openings. I got used to it tho. Physicality was so good that it paid for everything else.

Thats where my main gripe with Pes18 was. They added a lot of freedom, great dribbling, but almost destroyed physicality. You barely got any fouls.
And rocket shots on 18 after a while got a bit too common.

Yeah my other problem with pes 18, as much as I enjoyed it, is the players felt indistinct, they lacked substance,which occasionally gave me that fifa 'empty' feeling.

Pes 17 felt very grounded, very gritty.

I installed it on my PS5 last weekend and had tons of fun with it. It's really a breath of fresh air compared to the stiffness of PES2021. The dribbling is awesome.
Have to admit I had way more fun than when I played PES17 on my PS4 a few days earlier, even if I miss the physicality.

I am tempted to start a new ML, but unfortunately it seems there is no option file available anymore, every link I found was dead. Does anybody have a working link?

Pes 17 is the last game I really remember where the teams had personalities and I'd leap out of my chair screaming when I scored...

I think I'll get it this week ...
Couldn’t tell you sorry mate I use default assists.

I installed it on my PS5 last weekend and had tons of fun with it. It's really a breath of fresh air compared to the stiffness of PES2021. The dribbling is awesome.
Have to admit I had way more fun than when I played PES17 on my PS4 a few days earlier, even if I miss the physicality.

I am tempted to start a new ML, but unfortunately it seems there is no option file available anymore, every link I found was dead. Does anybody have a working link?
Sorry mate was going to reply to you yesterday and then got sidetracked - I’ve got an option file if you’re still looking for one? PS4 right? It’s an All-in-One option file too.

Playing this a little bit latelly, just to enjoy the smoothnes and the responsiveness.

Well this game and 2019 have some good aspects, (besides some very obvious given flaws of course), and combined with the old school R2 functions, it could be as playable as 2020 and 2021 are.

The very specific problem i spot, that is totally game breaking for me, is the softspot i hit with the difficulty in Master League. In TopPlayer it becomes too unchallenging as soon as i adapt, in Superstar it is always a crazy psychotic mess, no stats matter, no learning curve nothing. And that's the reason i will play for some time, 1 or 2 weeks maybe and then i will go back to 20 & 21.

Honestly, MAster LEague even with high Team Spirit has some serious issues. It is like just a very difficult, but bad difficult video game. I strips away any stats, any skill, anything.

Well i know that every person adapts different VS AI, others can handle LEgend difficulty, other struggle in Proffesional level. But this ciffficulty concept in here is just something crazy.

I was playing yesterday an old ML save. Tried superstar. My team is 4* by now. First match against a 2* team. Goaless draw 0-0. Second match against a 2,5*. I conceade one for the 0-1, i equalise the game latter. BTW the GKs went so Superman mode , that the only goals i scored were headers or rebounds after GK crazy deflections. 1-1.

Incoming message from the club owner, i have not got a win 3 matches in a row , and i must win the very next one. I play against a 4* club. I win 4-0 hands down, but it was really easy honestly, suspiciously easy.

Next match against a 2* team again, in my home field. I win 1-0 until 60', then they go berserk and the game ends 1-4. They shattered me apart, no stats matter, no TS , nothing.

It was so incosistent and crazy and psychedelic that i returned again back to TP. Basically all games were like pushing a wall. It is like the CPU AI in ML was programmed by someone sadistic.

I exclude PES 2019 from this, cause the CPU AI is also broken. I mean "at least" (if you can say at least) in 2018 the CPU goes berserk, but it plays also spacestellar football, the good old Huddersfield transforms to BArcelona and scores 3 goals in 9 chances. In 2019 it is so broken while sadistic in the same time that Huddersfield, while seem helpless and desperate and cannot hold more than 40% ball possesion, it can score 3 goals with 2 shots on target!

The common in both games is the passing accuracy of COM teams, even the worst team can hold a 90+% succesfull passes.

But really shame, if it was just playable for me on Superstar, it could be a good alternative.

Playing this a little bit latelly, just to enjoy the smoothnes and the responsiveness.

Well this game and 2019 have some good aspects, (besides some very obvious given flaws of course), and combined with the old school R2 functions, it could be as playable as 2020 and 2021 are.

The very specific problem i spot, that is totally game breaking for me, is the softspot i hit with the difficulty in Master League. In TopPlayer it becomes too unchallenging as soon as i adapt, in Superstar it is always a crazy psychotic mess, no stats matter, no learning curve nothing. And that's the reason i will play for some time, 1 or 2 weeks maybe and then i will go back to 20 & 21.

Honestly, MAster LEague even with high Team Spirit has some serious issues. It is like just a very difficult, but bad difficult video game. I strips away any stats, any skill, anything.

Well i know that every person adapts different VS AI, others can handle LEgend difficulty, other struggle in Proffesional level. But this ciffficulty concept in here is just something crazy.

I was playing yesterday an old ML save. Tried superstar. My team is 4* by now. First match against a 2* team. Goaless draw 0-0. Second match against a 2,5*. I conceade one for the 0-1, i equalise the game latter. BTW the GKs went so Superman mode , that the only goals i scored were headers or rebounds after GK crazy deflections. 1-1.

Incoming message from the club owner, i have not got a win 3 matches in a row , and i must win the very next one. I play against a 4* club. I win 4-0 hands down, but it was really easy honestly, suspiciously easy.

Next match against a 2* team again, in my home field. I win 1-0 until 60', then they go berserk and the game ends 1-4. They shattered me apart, no stats matter, no TS , nothing.

It was so incosistent and crazy and psychedelic that i returned again back to TP. Basically all games were like pushing a wall. It is like the CPU AI in ML was programmed by someone sadistic.

I exclude PES 2019 from this, cause the CPU AI is also broken. I mean "at least" (if you can say at least) in 2018 the CPU goes berserk, but it plays also spacestellar football, the good old Huddersfield transforms to BArcelona and scores 3 goals in 9 chances. In 2019 it is so broken while sadistic in the same time that Huddersfield, while seem helpless and desperate and cannot hold more than 40% ball possesion, it can score 3 goals with 2 shots on target!

The common in both games is the passing accuracy of COM teams, even the worst team can hold a 90+% succesfull passes.

But really shame, if it was just playable for me on Superstar, it could be a good alternative.
Completely agree.

I can't get over how damn good this game looks. No modded version of any later Pes comes close to my tastes, they truly achieved near perfection in my eyes. I still re-play it from time to time just to enjoy the general atmosphere.

Unfortunately, regarding gameplay itself, while in cups and friendlies it's more or less fine, ML is really, reaally hard if you want to play football. As you said it's not even a matter of it being difficult or challening, but more of it not making the slightest sense in regard of the CPU, and your teams value. It's a damn shame cause when it clicks it's quite fun despite the flaws. When I'll feel more masochistic I may re-try a proper run just to see how crazy it can get lol.

Completely agree.

I can't get over how damn good this game looks. No modded version of any later Pes comes close to my tastes, they truly achieved near perfection in my eyes. I still re-play it from time to time just to enjoy the general atmosphere.

Unfortunately, regarding gameplay itself, while in cups and friendlies it's more or less fine, ML is really, reaally hard if you want to play football. As you said it's not even a matter of it being difficult or challening, but more of it not making the slightest sense in regard of the CPU, and your teams value. It's a damn shame cause when it clicks it's quite fun despite the flaws. When I'll feel more masochistic I may re-try a proper run just to see how crazy it can get lol.
What's more crazy is, there is already the "bonus" Legend difficutly in this game. So if someone loves Worms Armageddon diffictuly, they could leave all levels from regular to superstar in usual PES learning-curve levels, and just do crazy shite only LEGEND difficulty, for those who love post-apocalyptic games.

And i remember that in the very first datapacks Superstar was crazy, but still kind of playable. LAtter it became even more grind to win. I can understand the first shock, as many people, basically Youtubers complained that 2017 felt a little bit easy on Superstar, and made it a little bit berserk in early versions, but from that point to the final result, nobody asked for more difficulty, i do not know where they drained their feedback and made it more"broken"...

What's more crazy is, there is already the "bonus" Legend difficutly in this game. So if someone loves Worms Armageddon diffictuly, they could leave all levels from regular to superstar in usual PES learning-curve levels, and just do crazy shite only LEGEND difficulty, for those who love post-apocalyptic games.

And i remember that in the very first datapacks Superstar was crazy, but still kind of playable. LAtter it became even more grind to win. I can understand the first shock, as many people, basically Youtubers complained that 2017 felt a little bit easy on Superstar, and made it a little bit berserk in early versions, but from that point to the final result, nobody asked for more difficulty, i do not know where they drained their feedback and made it more"broken"...
Yeah, Legend was crazy. No idea if it's still like that on more recent releases as I've never really explored it on 19 onwards, but on 2018 it was completely nuts. I have the memory of starting a ML on it out of curiosity with Lazio only to be be steamrolled without any possibility or rationality by all the few teams I faced. I mean on SS, while it was as already said quite unfair, sometimes you had close battles or CPU starting to cheat just from a certain point onwards, on this level instead it was like a desperate guy fighting Skynet with a knife and a fork from the get go. I vaguely remember that on the third, or fourth match I faced Benevento and I was like 3-0 for them after 30 minutes.. noped out of it at that point.

Don't really get either the sense of doing it this way but.. whatever. Maybe they wanted to build the ultimate challenge or something. Stopped trying to figure them out a long time ago :D

Don't want more responsiveness from 20-21 (also 19) as i found it more realistic in the feeling i got while dribbling running, turning, defending, to me that's how players moves. But one thing which can be annoying, is the timing. It's the most important thing on those version : if you want to pass a defender with speed : timing while you will start your run. And i don't feel at all players moving like tanks, it's more like i feel players moving too quick on the olders versions, after retry. But it doesn't bother me on the 17 as it's not the same system : smaller pitch like PES 15 so more contacts, more dynamics, well shoots variations is above PES 18 as the pitch was smaller : no need bullets to reach the goal etc. etc.

2018 is too empty, shoots too straight and yes, there's "bad difficulty" i don't feel in others version. It's like the remake of the 16 with a bigger pitch : enjoyable to handle, pass etc. but awful to shoot and too empty, there's no contact as the bigger pitch is bad handled so no fault.
That's probably the second version i hate the most from the PS4 era. I even prefers the super basic PES 15... But even with flaws, the 14 with his very latest patch still got flaws of course, but it's balanced.
One issue is you have to do all by yourself : pushing forward the "barycentre" to make your player weight going forward > you can try, but on 1V1 it's too hard to pass someone.

I don't have that issue even if players talk about "missing responsiveness" on PES 21, it depends of players stats (attack and def awareness gives more or less reactivity), with patch you get back to the past where there wasn't inertia a looks like a mix of FIFA and PES 13. Well i won't talk about that version.
Just that mods doesn't always does the best : it "improves" a feeling but it's a full physical engine you're retouching, and it causes flaws and fakes steps etc. i saw in vid and said in myself "that shit is not what i'm playing"

I got the joke with the "no catch up bug" in PES 2014. It makes the game worst, the last patch corrected it more or less already... Also a timing mater and i figured out to overlap defenders, it's not my biggest issue with the game. More Keeper super good on long distance and pretty bad on short.
But it was harder of course on that version as PES 14 got more input lag (and no justified "unresponsiveness" because you direct an human being, just real input no responding when you push it)

Last edited:
sharemods is working (all others are dead)

I tried as i got the issues with PS2 tools especially but also 2017, 2015, 2014 patchs etc. and links where often all deads on every websites.
Some others websites directly hosted on their websites like some tools on PesSoccerWorld or WinningElevenGames.

http://sharemods.com/2vzoh2wsbc1t/PES2K18-OF-EMERSON-V6-WWW.PESNEWUPDATE.COM-.rar.html

PASSWORD : www.pesnewupdate.com

Even if i never got to use their password, and copy it for nothing tons of times for nothing... We never know.

Hello, I want to ask to convert PC face to console, if the face high win32 file has a file size of 300KB, why can't it be converted, is there a way to convert it?

I've been playing this again lately, and still really enjoy the football it has to offer, when I'm on the ball at least, I've found a good spot in FUMA & Professional, as the increased error while passing makes it so the lower difficulty isn't too easy, while said lower difficulty makes sure my mistakes aren't too punishing, as the CPU makes mistakes too, which makes it more realistic in my eyes, both sides making mistakes instead of getting every pass and shot right, it plays well. Also, -1 for a balanced pace. Only things that hold this back for me are the lack of fouls, because you'll be lucky to get a single foul in a match, and the CPU attack, which is subpar, as they play the same way no matter the difficulty or team, all that changes is how good they are at this single strategy, direct passes to bypass the midfield, an over the top through ball to the wings, then either crossing or dribbling into the box... defending is repetitive and skips the midfield.

I'd say that pretty much everything else besides these issues, even though they're major ones, is quite good, my other problems are more superficial, though they still bother me... I dislike the UI full of boxes within boxes, I'm more fond of round corners and prefer PES2019's UI to this one, and my last gripe, which is also aesthetic, is related to lighting and turfs, they look off here for some reason, which is a shame because the models are probably the best in the series.

I wish I could play this with PES5's kit mixing, Winning Eleven 2002's or PES2015's CPU attacking variety, PES2015's or PES2019's turfs, PES2019's lighting and snow weather, PES2011's UI and OST, and FIFA08's Tele camera... it'd be perfect, but by that point it'd just be a completely different video game really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom