The Last Of Us

Is that meant to be PS4 footage??

It looks identical. I have pre-ordered it so will have a look at it when it is released, but I get the feeling this is going to be a very lazy port with no real improvements.

LOL yeah I saw some site making a big deal out of the gif comparison and I definitely cannot tell the difference, these two:

i27zFh1aRNgcw.gif

Ok I can see sharper textures on the leaves on the right so presumably that's PS4!

The one on the right looks slightly better but still can't really tell much difference.

It just looks like they have used slightly higher res textures on backgrounds.

Screenshot tool????

I would want this because??

Or is this a new so called next gen thing which has been available since Windows 3.1 by pressing print-screen....

Also just read this about the game on PS4..

"you'll be able to lock the framerate at 30fps for added stability should you wish"

That is a disappointment, as clearly stats the game is a rush job.

I would of preferred a decent job done and a later release date... But still really looking forward to playing it again.

LOL yeah I saw some site making a big deal out of the gif comparison and I definitely cannot tell the difference, these two:

i27zFh1aRNgcw.gif

Ok I can see sharper textures on the leaves on the right so presumably that's PS4!

Definitely not enough of an incentive to warrant a re-purchase. Will be a nice treat for those who have not experienced this adventure though.

Pretty good interview by Last of Us developer as to why 60FPS is a must for NG.

At 60 frames, seeing his breathing change, or when a Clicker shows up and you hear that sound and the way he moves changes, because all the animations are that much more fluid, I think that comes across even more now. That's going to change the play experience just a little bit in the way the players experience that."

"It was a toss-up before; people were saying that you lose quality and graphics and what not," Gregory said. "But being able to compare apples to apples like we have now with The Last of Us, going back and playing the 30 [FPS] version feels, to quote some people in the office, 'broken.' There's something that can't be captured in screenshots and playing an adventure game where you just walk around and experience the world at the smooth 60 [FPS]. You really just have to feel it."

And when asked if 60 FPS will become the new standard for games, Gregory was optimistic. "We hope so," he said. "It used to just be that first-person shooters were 60 by default, but a lot of other games didn't feel the need for it. I think we're showing that it does make a difference even in a non-FPS type game."

Isn't the point meant to be that on PS3 a lot of the shots being used in comparison vids were pre rendered using slightly better versions of the in-game models, whereas on PS4 it's rendered in real time? Otherwise, we'd just be comparing one pre-rendered cutscene with another, which is pointless.

Last edited:
See, that's the first comparison of gameplay vs gameplay. I think it was Polygon I read today where they confirmed the PS4 gameplay uses the PS3 cutscene models, which certainly implies that those previous comparison videos where both versions looked the same were of PS3 cutscene vs PS4 in-game.

Did anyone try the dlc on ps3? I read a few comments saying it was as good as if not slightly better than the SP story. looking foward to trying it out.

It also seems like we get future dlc for free too rather Tha having to buy a separate season pass

Did anyone try the dlc on ps3? I read a few comments saying it was as good as if not slightly better than the SP story. looking foward to trying it out.

It also seems like we get future dlc for free too rather Tha having to buy a separate season pass

Left Behind was amazing, not much action but 2-3 hours of incredible story telling.

Obviously won't go into details but the DLC was brilliant.

As for the screenshots of the graphics, those screenshots are just much higher res textures and what is expected.
I am more interested in whether they have improved the character models and textures of the clothing - and really hope they have improved and added AA, as being a PC gamer and self confessed graphics tart jagged edges in games is an absolute no no...
I also have concerns about how well the game is going to run, especially after Naughty Dog have added the option to lock the game at 30FPS to improve stability - 2014 and games can't even run at 60FPS..

But will only find out the answers when I re-play the game when it is released in 2 weeks time.

I ended up getting the DLC and I recommend it. Without giving anything away, it was shortish but very well done, in my opinion.

Left Behind was amazing, not much action but 2-3 hours of incredible story telling.

Obviously won't go into details but the DLC was brilliant.

As for the screenshots of the graphics, those screenshots are just much higher res textures and what is expected.
I am more interested in whether they have improved the character models and textures of the clothing - and really hope they have improved and added AA, as being a PC gamer and self confessed graphics tart jagged edges in games is an absolute no no...
I also have concerns about how well the game is going to run, especially after Naughty Dog have added the option to lock the game at 30FPS to improve stability - 2014 and games can't even run at 60FPS..

But will only find out the answers when I re-play the game when it is released in 2 weeks time.

Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Remastered, which launches July 29 on PS4, looks to be the definitive version of one of the best games of 2013. The package collects the game and all its single-player and multiplayer add-ons onto one Blu-ray Disc, which makes it a good deal. But the strongest reason for most people to buy the PS4 port will be the visual upgrade it offers, which is considerable.

In addition to using cutscene-resolution character models during gameplay, The Last of Us Remastered features twice as much detail in shadow mapping as the original PS3 game, and four times as much detail in texture mapping. The increased texture resolution makes the biggest difference, according to Eric Monacelli, community strategist at Naughty Dog.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/16/5902983/the-last-of-us-remastered-ps4-preview-graphics

And for the record I completely buy that the 30fps lock is solely for aesthetics, rather than because The Last Of Us can't handle 60fps. I buy it because I was one of the people who desperately hoped Naughty Dog would give us that option, for the same reasons.

Other than crisper textures, I don't see anything that justifies buying the game if you have the PS3 version. This serves as a testament of how amazing tha game was on PS3.

The game was shipped for me today, so when it arrives I will past judgement but I reckon the 60FPS alone will be worth the upgrade.

Got the US digital version earlier. Having not played the PS3 version, it does look pretty great though there are some bits like expressions which do remind me of PS3.

Back
Top Bottom