The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Here’s an interesting and unique game on the Neo Geo CD which I plan to eventually try out. I guess it can be described as a first person slash em’ up!

@PES4eva That does look interesting! It's kind of like those early 90's PC shoot-em ups meets King of Dragons! :TU:

I've been playing Super Ninja Kun for SNES lately, and I'm finding the world/gameplay very charming. It retains similar elements to the NES versions I posted earlier, but instead of having to beat all enemies on the screen, it has a more traditional move through the stages type of setup. All in all, I find the Ninja-Kun world very fun, and well even though it wasn't very popular outside of Japan, I would've liked to have seen a sequel to it in the 32 bit generation, or even some indie retrogames! I like its simple and colorful approach. :)

@PES4eva That does look interesting! It's kind of like those early 90's PC shoot-em ups meets King of Dragons! :TU:

I've been playing Super Ninja Kun for SNES lately, and I'm finding the world/gameplay very charming. It retains similar elements to the NES versions I posted earlier, but instead of having to beat all enemies on the screen, it has a more traditional move through the stages type of setup. All in all, I find the Ninja-Kun world very fun, and well even though it wasn't very popular outside of Japan, I would've liked to have seen a sequel to it in the 32 bit generation, or even some indie retrogames! I like its simple and colorful approach. :)
I do like a good platformer. I’ve not heard of this or seen it before so thanks for the tip. Kind of reminds me of Alex Kid in Shinobi World.

I've been playing "The Mark of Kri" lately for the PS2 and I've been really enjoying it! I love these type of games, similar to Xbox's Jade Empire (which is one of my favorite games of all time). Not too heavy on the RPG text but with a good story, good action and ambiance, and culture based on Ancient China (I really love the world it's set in). The PS2 is such a massive console, and I'm just discovering their huge catalog, there's so many genres to choose from. But in anycase, "The Mark of Kri" has been a really cool experience, the characters are well developed and the action is intense. :TU:

Another great action RPG adventure but set in the future is Rogue Galaxy!
I don’t think many people would have heard of it. Bad promotion of the game I’d imagine. A shame because it’s a real gem:

Rogue Galaxy looks cool! Even though I am more of a medieval or ancient civilizations fan, I like the fact that it's sword-based!
Great presentation and the action looks great. Will put it on my list for sure! :TU:

Rogue Galaxy looks cool! Even though I am more of a medieval or ancient civilizations fan, I like the fact that it's sword-based!
Great presentation and the action looks great. Will put it on my list for sure! :TU:
Maybe Drakengard 1 & 2 would be more your thing:

Sword play and riding dragons. What’s not to like

Here's another forgotten PS2 game that I discovered recently: Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy! Another one in the BTA genre (one of my favorite), this one has a bit more of a puzzle/adventure twist! Besides Ancient Chinese culture, I've also always been fascinated by Ancient Egypt, so anything that has to do with the pantheon and the Egyptian Legends and Gods is a great addition in my book! I'm a few hours in and I have to say that this game has really caught my eye, I will definitely be taking my time with this one!

Always loved the F-Zero games, so cool and great fun factor!
Never played the Gamecube version but it does look real fun and intense. :TU:

---------------------------------

Guys, Abathor has been released on Steam. I've been waiting for this release for a long, long time! I really love the pixel art, the similarity to Rastan and other retro arcade platformers, another great addition to the indie retrogaming world! As a huge fan of platformers, this is right up my alley! :TU:

Now that we're in Olympics time, here's a NES classic!! 🎮

I think with the first track and field there’s a rare version they did for a Nintendo event and it’s worth thousands. The series I’ve never played though so I got no idea if it’s good or not. Doesn’t look too great

I got a Gamecube to play Resi 4 back in the day but a few years later I sold or gave it to my nephew.
Going through some old family stuff in boxes, I stumbled opon all my old Gamecube games - And instantly regretted selling it. - My nephew is now looking to save a bit of money so I am trying to buy the Gamecube back from him, hoping it still works.
This will probably sound a bit silly once I tell you grand list of my Gamecube games:
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Zero
Resident Evil 4
Virtua Striker 3
Wave Race Blue Storm
Star Wars Rogue Leader

Not excactly a full library but it will be worth it for the nostalgia. Also, if the console is still fully operational, I might look to buy some more games on ebay.

edit:
Oh sh*t, Abathor is out on console as well! Time to get buying! :APPLAUD:
Where is the online co-op though :( would have like to grab a game with some of you lot!

Last edited:
I got a Gamecube to play Resi 4 back in the day but a few years later I sold or gave it to my nephew.
Going through some old family stuff in boxes, I stumbled opon all my old Gamecube games - And instantly regretted selling it. - My nephew is now looking to save a bit of money so I am trying to buy the Gamecube back from him, hoping it still works.
This will probably sound a bit silly once I tell you grand list of my Gamecube games:
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Zero
Resident Evil 4
Virtua Striker 3
Wave Race Blue Storm
Star Wars Rogue Leader

Not excactly a full library but it will be worth it for the nostalgia. Also, if the console is still fully operational, I might look to buy some more games on ebay.

edit:
Oh sh*t, Abathor is out on console as well! Time to get buying! :APPLAUD:
Where is the online co-op though :( would have like to grab a game with some of you lot!
Can I suggest you buy the Dol-001 model rather than the Dol-101 model.
The Dol-001 has the digital AV output.
Even with the better output it will look like shit on a modern HDTV so I’d recommend getting a HD adapter You do get what you pay for so don’t buy a cheap one. This one is supposed to be pretty good but will only work with Dol-001 model:

https://kaicolabs.com/product/nintendo-gamecube-hdmi-display-adapter/

Also look into GameCube SD2SP.

Can I suggest you buy the Dol-001 model rather than the Dol-101 model.
The Dol-001 has the digital AV output.
Even with the better output it will look like shit on a modern HDTV so I’d recommend getting a HD adapter You do get what you pay for so don’t buy a cheap one. This one is supposed to be pretty good but will only work with Dol-001 model:

https://kaicolabs.com/product/nintendo-gamecube-hdmi-display-adapter/

Also look into GameCube SD2SP.
cheers for the advice but concerning the output I actually still have an old 20 inch TV which is perfect for these older consoles.

cheers for the advice but concerning the output I actually still have an old 20 inch TV which is perfect for these older consoles.
A CRT tv great. It will look fantastic on a tube TV. I’d still get the Dol-001 model though incase you ever need to hook it up to a modern tv. Anyway, happy GameCube-ing!

I just discovered that Deluxe Ski Jump 2 is available for Android phones. I used to play on the computer as a kid and I really enjoyed that. For some reason, ski jumping was quite popular around the year 2000 in Czech :)) The Android version is 100 % the same as a computer and it is maybe even better controlled by touch controls and tilt than it is with a keyboard and mouse.

Nice nostalgia!

I just discovered that Deluxe Ski Jump 2 is available for Android phones. I used to play on the computer as a kid and I really enjoyed that. For some reason, ski jumping was quite popular around the year 2000 in Czech :)) The Android version is 100 % the same as a computer and it is maybe even better controlled by touch controls and tilt than it is with a keyboard and mouse.

Nice nostalgia!

Looks like it could be fun. Was this on PC or another computer?

Been having quite a bit of fun with this one lately: Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master for Genesis/Megadrive! I find the combat system to be quite unique, with the limited shurikens and other aspects of it! Looks to me like Shinobi was kind of like a Sega response to Nintendo's Ninja Gaiden (which coincidentally, I can't understand why SNES never released a Ninja Gaiden). In anycase, the Megadrive's catalog is surprising me even more and more as time goes by, and I consider Shinobi 3 to be an underrated gem! :)

Continuing on with my recent discovery of Genesis/Mega Drive games, I just found this one, which looks great: Pulseman! Released in 1994 (a bit later in the Mega Drive history), this definitely looks like a Genesis response to Megaman, and definitely underrated! The gameplay looks really smooth and action-packed, and the world is colorful and I find very well made. It is interesting that this game never became popular, perhaps due to its release and timing, but still, it looks like an excellent addition to the platformer library! :TU:

@Badger Mushroom Yeah that thing looks sick. It’s like the holy grail of GameCube.

@millossobek not played that one. I do have about 15 mega drive games gameplay coming to my channel soon though so maybe you’ll discover some more!

@Isslander Did you end up buying the GameCube?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom