The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Yoshi's Island is on another level of creativity.. I discovered it later on with emulators (never played it as a kid), but was astounded at how fun and different it was from any other platformer. It's like the creators came up with a crazy idea, completely off the wall (let´s have Baby Mario ride an egg-throwing Yoshi in a world that looks like an impressionistic painting, and then have a wailing Mario move away in a bubble!) and somehow pulled it all together. It's absolutely brilliant!

Since I'm enjoying Kirby's Forgotten Land a lot lately, I'm tempted to go back and try the SNES versions as well. :)

Guys, speaking of tough games.. I tried playing KID ICARUS lately.. Holy crap what a tough one.. So unforgiving and unrelenting! This has to rank with Ghosts n Goblins as the toughest NES game of all time :LMAO:

Would've loved to have seen a SNES sequel to this. :)

How teh fak, did you controlled Yoshi Island on mobile phone??? With touch screen?? How many egg throws did you waste???
Oh man - you wanna see me launching them eggs! I was EGGcellent!!! :LOL:
Now I did have a lot of issues when I had to press sprint, direction and jump at the same time, coz my phone didnt want to register 3 buttons at times.. but I somehow got there. To be honest - I struggled more with Super Mario World. There were more sequences there, that required full speed and quick high jumps.
I really missed my SNES controller there!😂

Oh man - you wanna see me launching them eggs! I was EGGcellent!!! :LOL:
Now I did have a lot of issues when I had to press sprint, direction and jump at the same time, coz my phone didnt want to register 3 buttons at times.. but I somehow got there. To be honest - I struggled more with Super Mario World. There were more sequences there, that required full speed and quick high jumps.
I really missed my SNES controller there!😂
Just found it, World 6-7 Stage, name: KEEP MOVING!!!!!!!!! It took me about 2 weeks to beat this stage back at 1997 summer, and i was almost ready to give up game, due to this stage. You must be some kind of pro-player!!1 :P

06:25:45

Just found it, World 6-7 Stage, name: KEEP MOVING!!!!!!!!! It took me about 2 weeks to beat this stage back at 1997 summer, and i was almost ready to give up game, due to this stage. You must be some kind of pro-player!!1 :P

Every time I see gameplay from Yoshi's Island, my eyes get watery with retrogaming joy! :LOL: The brilliance of this game is unbelievable. :WORSHIP:

I remember this one!
What can I say:
Tilted phone, middle finger on the sprint, pointer finger doing all the jumping, left thumb on directions. :LOL:
Its far from comfortable, but it worked!😂
I am far from pro, my friend! I play most of the games on Easy these days! I just had to beat it, coz I didnt want to embarrass myself in front of my 8 year old..😂

I remember this one!
What can I say:
Tilted phone, middle finger on the sprint, pointer finger doing all the jumping, left thumb on directions. :LOL:
Its far from comfortable, but it worked!😂
I am far from pro, my friend! I play most of the games on Easy these days! I just had to beat it, coz I didnt want to embarrass myself in front of my 8 year old..😂
This type of stages, is the reason i prefer to replay the NDS Yoshi Island instead of the SNES. Cause i am a "snowflake" :BRMM:...Just kidding :P
But i find the Yoshi's Island for NDS goes softer with difficulty!! And i need to be as soft as possible. :D

Haha, you know some games I find easier to play on keyboard emulator than SNES controller!

For example, a lot of platformers like DKC, Mario, etc.. It's easier to time the jumps with the keyboard, plus no blisters!! haha..

Whatever works for you, my friends. :)

Hey how about most infuriating retro game?
For me it was
23-1494870901383_480w.jpg
Jesus Christ how I hated this game! It had most awkward and unresponsive controls I have ever experienced. This game taught me what it means to rage quit and if I didnt get rid of it fast - Id end up like these youtube kids that are destroying their TV's and hit their heads against the bed, sticking controllers up their bums.. 😂😂😂

Looool never played that one.. It does look hard though, not even taking into account the controls (took a look at the longplay!)

Here's another insanely hard game which I was NEVER able to beat, no matter how hard I tried! The original TMNT for the NES, featuring Kylian Mbappe! :LMAO: Holy crap that was a tough one.. Does anyone remember the insane water stage? Or the millions of insects that would come crawling from anywhere? I've heard that Shredder, of course the final boss, was really hard to beat.. I never even made it that far. haha... And I tried playing it for years.. Maybe I need to take out my emulator and give it one more shot, although something tells me the result will be the same! :LMAO:

Last edited:
If Yoshi Island was so beautiful, it's not only a matter of creativity but technically too, so much colors etc. thanks to the SuperFX2 :)
If only they sorted out sooner the SFX2 and maked games in 2D with it, it was almost Arcade level. It looked like a 32x game.

2 games in 2D got that chip, the second is the super nice port of Street Fighter Alpha II... And as it was Capcom behind it : they were well know about slowdown on the console! Like Super G'n'G, some part in Megaman X and Demon Crest. Like the first thing that tilted me when i tried that game, was the image stopping for some small second before the game (not the sound).

If they would have built SFII Alpha with Nintendo themselves, the game would have practically looked like the PS1 version almost, technically when you see what Nintendo did with Yoshi Island, it was a miracle...

But it was already a miracle than Nintendo let another editor using their SFX2. Then working with them in more when they were on others projects was probably too much (and Japanese culture rarely dare to ask for any kind of help, especially the proud Capcom)

If Yoshi Island was so beautiful, it's not only a matter of creativity but technically too, so much colors etc. thanks to the SuperFX2 :)
If only they sorted out sooner the SFX2 and maked games in 2D with it, it was almost Arcade level. It looked like a 32x game.

2 games in 2D got that chip, the second is the super nice port of Street Fighter Alpha II... And as it was Capcom behind it : they were well know about slowdown on the console! Like Super G'n'G, some part in Megaman X and Demon Crest. Like the first thing that tilted me when i tried that game, was the image stopping for some small second before the game (not the sound).

If they would have built SFII Alpha with Nintendo themselves, the game would have practically looked like the PS1 version almost, technically when you see what Nintendo did with Yoshi Island, it was a miracle...

But it was already a miracle than Nintendo let another editor using their SFX2. Then working with them in more when they were on others projects was probably too much (and Japanese culture rarely dare to ask for any kind of help, especially the proud Capcom)
Well that pretty match explains the cost of the cartridge. The day i bought SNES + Yoshi's Island:

SNES console cost= 30,000 Greek Drachmas = 90€ without any inflation

Yoshi's Island cost= 36,000 Drachmas = ~102€ without inflation.

Well while it sounds cheaper to today's modern. consoles, it is not due to the inflation. Also take in mind that people in second hand sites today sell their old SNES consoles for 100€, and the "brand new" aka Sealed boxed SNES consoles from base 300€. Well it's different, cause for technology especially video gaming, it was supposed to be a very expensive hobby, in the 90's, becoming cheaper and more accessible in the early 2000's , and after PS4 generation release , i think it started becoming more "expensive" again.

My N64 new console in 2000 or 2001, also costed 36,000 Drachma, while in the end of its life cycle.
Now i had an issue to convert that 1996 EUROs to today's EUROs, doing an approx evaluation from what i said above , i would ''RANDOMLY" say that 90€ οf 1996 in Greece are 300€ of today.

Also it was different PURCHASING POWER, while drachma was a very weak currency, in the regional market, with 1,000 Drachma you were 'rich', well not rich, but you could buy a lot of every day staff.

Well 1,000 Drachma = 3 €. With 1,000 Drachma you could buy 10 cheese-pies, now 1 cheese-pie costs 2,00 €.

Finally, "funnily" enough, as 'funny' as may sound, i would make an analogy with salary or a rent, but the lowest salary in Greece was around 200,000 (200k) Drachmas, which without inflation is 600€, while today it's the same or slightly bigger, something 650€, after the haircuts in salaries of 2010, while the cost of life since 1996, has raised over 1,200%. :P:BAND:

Last edited:
To relativise an overall big value of something, i still in my head count in "Belgian francs/Francs belges" too :LOL:
It's an habit, i never loose it since.

When i remember the most expensive game i brought was Street Fighter II : World Warriors (so the first one) for 100 euros exactly (4000 belgian francs).
But if i'm right, Mortal Kombat II was sold approximatively the same price or 85 euros minimum.

Cartdriges was direct, no loading time and decades of duration : from 1982-83 so 40 years old still run on their support, now about CD/DVD lol...
Now thanks that Blu-ray and new format are by far much more solid than the firsts version of all kind of "Compact Disc".

Well, cartdriges were super expensive with the recoil : and as in Snes they owned one or two extra chip, the cost was always bigger than on Megadrive.

With the exception of Virtua Racing and the similar chip like Super FX, and the system was different as the Megadrive didn't owned 2 chips ports... So the game was litterally a mini add-on like the 32X. It's not abnormal than their chip (don't remember the name) was practically twice the cost of a SFX1 let's say (the SFX1 was pretty cheap in comparison to the next one)

For me it was
Jesus Christ how I hated this game! It had most awkward and unresponsive controls I have ever experienced. This game taught me what it means to rage quit and if I didnt get rid of it fast - Id end up like these youtube kids that are destroying their TV's and hit their heads against the bed, sticking controllers up their bums.. 😂😂😂
A friend told me once that except "Castle of Illusion" and "Legend of Illusion", the others Mickey games he tried were pretty bad.
I never tried that one, only "Fantasia"... And yes except animations, the game was awful.

The "Magical Quest" seems to follow that rules mixed with some platform style.
From Disney i loved too the Donald Duck on Master System but Quackshot on Megadrive was outstanding graphically at the time.

On MS there were 2 games one from 1991 i owned, and the other from 1993 "Deep duck trouble starring Donald duck" i never tried. Gameplay mecanics are almost the same with some adds and graphisms better.

Donald Duck : The lucky Dime cap (Master System)

Quackshot (Megadrive) / One of the most known game from that console

@vialli82 you really know a lot about chips, capabilities, the technical aspects of the old-school cartridges and consoles! I wonder how you know so much about that stuff, actually I find it very interesting to read! First Street Fighter Alpha, now Yoshi's Island, cool. ;)

Speaking of another game which I thought really pushed the boundaries of the SNES cartridge, I have to include Seiken Densetsu 3, another one of my favorites. In fact (I included this one before), I'd have to say that Seiken is one of my favorite 5 games of ALL time, in ANY console. Just the sheer enjoyment of it, the story, the soundtrack, how fun it is and how beautiful it looks.. I think it is a Masterpiece. The perfect balance between action and RPG to me, and a game that I still to today play often, switching up the different parties, and trying different class combinations.

1672966535691.png

The light/dark class changes were amazing in this game.. From being able to take a light/dark path not once, but twice, and seeing how powers changed depending on what road you took.. was so satisfying.. I still remember my favorite party.. Amazon/Knight/Thief, which eventually turned into Dragon Master, Duelist, Ninja Master.. And all the possible combinations within, the replayability is insanely high.. And the game itself, not too difficult, not too easy, just the right length and an engaging story and really fun combat system that keeps you engaged all throughout. Real personality in Seiken 3!!

Man, how I love this game. You guys have to try it. :)

Last edited:
I've been taking a look at a list of underappreciated SNES games to check out, and stumbled upon "Hagane: The Final Conflict", it's been a while since I played a pure side-scroller, and I remember seeing this one back in the day in gamepro magazines, but never had a chance to check it out. What a solid game! It reminds me a bit of Strider in terms of gameplay and setting, can't believe I'd never played it. One thing though is that the difficulty level is quite steep so I might spend a long time sorting this one out,, but man I'm glad to have found this one! :TU:

For me it was

For me it's this one, lol :PINKS: I'll admit i play this only for shit & giggles turned out this game is hard there's something wrong with its control.

Now this one isn't really hard but it makes your controller broken, lol.

For the funniest PSX game i've ever played has to be these two

Warning : Multiplayer required to get more FUN :D

1. Crash Bash, the AI is savage. I don't recommend it to play single player. Invite your friends, family or even enemy to play this game. Funniest game i've ever played

2. Road Rash Jailbreak. Whenever i play this game with friends, i rarely finish the game. Mostly i used to kill the cops. Or when i play Co-Op, i used to kick my teammate and let him walk, lol

For me it's this one, lol :PINKS: I'll admit i play this only for shit & giggles turned out this game is hard there's something wrong with its control.

This game appears in my nightmares occasionally.

I used to work in Sony QA. One of the guys there used to have a saying; "it's not GTA that makes your kids violent, it's Barbie Explorer".

It was our job to finish every PS1 game, with a time limit - three days max. At that point, you'd get a black mark against you and someone else would have to take over (and they'd be annoyed with you).

This game, alongside a few Disney games, had the entire department almost smashing their controllers against the desk, and I'm not exaggerating here. They were hell on earth. I remember Barbie Explorer, and I think it was Disney's The Little Mermaid, and Tomb Raider, causing people to nearly come to blows with the supervisor.

I'm not joking about the nightmares thing.

Speaking of tough games, have any of you guys been able to beat the original Contra or Super Contra (for NES) without the 30-lives cheat code? I tried to play the original one lately with the 3 lives and wasn't able to get past the fourth stage, even with continues! Even as a kid, I was never able to beat it without the code haha.. Seems like I have a new challenge for my NES emulator coming up soon,, An insanely hard game, and a rightful classic in terms of fun factor, it just never gets old.. (Now Contra 3 the Alien Wars for SNES is almost impossible as well, perhaps the toughest SNES game of all time). :LOL:

I've been taking a look at a list of underappreciated SNES games to check out, and stumbled upon "Hagane: The Final Conflict", it's been a while since I played a pure side-scroller, and I remember seeing this one back in the day in gamepro magazines, but never had a chance to check it out. What a solid game! It reminds me a bit of Strider in terms of gameplay and setting, can't believe I'd never played it. One thing though is that the difficulty level is quite steep so I might spend a long time sorting this one out,, but man I'm glad to have found this one! :TU:

I believe i already posted it, not at lauch for X reason we got no idea (not as much exposure) but the game was not Japan only etc.
But very rare to found... Perhaps the team who build the project was small.
Now : with the recoil HAGANE is often listed on the 10 top games (often some games are there by "names" but overrated in my opinion).

It's perhaps the best action-plateformer game from that console, i only see some basic plateform as good or others type, but less action oriented.

or it was another similar game from PC-Engine (very very close : but Hagane got a more badass stylish overall) >

Ninja Spirits (coming from Arcade, but on PC Engine too very close to arcade)

Last edited:
Speaking of tough games, have any of you guys been able to beat the original Contra or Super Contra (for NES) without the 30-lives cheat code? I tried to play the original one lately with the 3 lives and wasn't able to get past the fourth stage, even with continues! Even as a kid, I was never able to beat it without the code haha.. Seems like I have a new challenge for my NES emulator coming up soon,, An insanely hard game, and a rightful classic in terms of fun factor, it just never gets old.. (Now Contra 3 the Alien Wars for SNES is almost impossible as well, perhaps the toughest SNES game of all time). :LOL:

The arcade version is similar in fact, a very good port, only with a long vertical screen like for shooter, but a nightmare if you want to finish the Arcade one.
Limited to 3 continues even if you put 1000 euros you will restart from level 1.

Perhaps you can "cheat" as i searched for unlocking the locked only 3 continues (impossible to finish the game!) but no answer.

So, even if graphisms and all are better : i prefers recommand the NES version or but also trying that one just for the experience.

Especially we lost a bit that "thing" about Shooters, i noticed it about every Shoot (with a plane, or a player) that i got by far harder to avoid shoots.
Before : it was like instinctive.

Contra : Arcade

This game appears in my nightmares occasionally.

I used to work in Sony QA. One of the guys there used to have a saying; "it's not GTA that makes your kids violent, it's Barbie Explorer".

It was our job to finish every PS1 game, with a time limit - three days max. At that point, you'd get a black mark against you and someone else would have to take over (and they'd be annoyed with you).

This game, alongside a few Disney games, had the entire department almost smashing their controllers against the desk, and I'm not exaggerating here. They were hell on earth. I remember Barbie Explorer, and I think it was Disney's The Little Mermaid, and Tomb Raider, causing people to nearly come to blows with the supervisor.

I'm not joking about the nightmares thing.

I knew something was off when i played this game.

I think there's some decent disney games, Tarzan is one of my fav alongside Toy Story

Damn, gotta miss the 90s & early 2000s when almost every movies had its own games, lol

Yes often because of some atrocious port of movies/animés games or more larger : games with licences.
The others good games were hard for the testers to judge, there were planning something suspicious in testers head due to some painful experience.

The best ones i remember are the ones no following the movies story, but just inspired by the concept and characters of the movie.

I remember like Ghostbuster in Megadrive was a pretty good one, and it was an action-plateformer. Still the thing when you beat a boss : to capture it with the ghost trap.

Quick google, this is from 9yrs ago

I think best answer is right here

Yeah, the fact is, I've already read all those, not sure if i convinced myself, cause i think there are old games, in similar status.

What i can guarantee is, having played both PS2 amd Dreamcast Versions on Emulator, the Dreamcast version is far superior than PS2.

IIRC PS2 version was missing some critical feature that DC did have, can't recall which unfortunately.

I got it on PS2 real hardware, needs to check a comparison on Youtube but both could run that game easily without one being far superior.
Emulation on DC for 2D even if background is on 3D, is better i trough. Well on my PC it's running with less slowdown or micro-bugs etc.

But the version i own on PS2 and the one out on Dreamcast were both "Arcade perfect" if i remember well at the time. PC version should follow the same path i believe.

Last edited:
Yeah, the fact is, I've already read all those, not sure if i convinced myself, cause i think there are old games, in similar status.

What i can guarantee is, having played both PS2 amd Dreamcast Versions on Emulator, the Dreamcast version is far superior than PS2.

IIRC PS2 version was missing some critical feature that DC did have, can't recall which unfortunately.
Yes, the rarest and cleanest version you can get, the highest the price will be. If it's a game launched like 6 times then back to his box and untouched since 2003 (don't remember the release date), the price will be high.

Now, their format "GD-Rom" having twice the size of a double CD (so 1400 mb) is practically impossible to found. But the Dreamcast didn't even need a chip, just a simple program to burn any bin cue on your GD-Rom. I never take a look if you can add something like an HDD on the real Hardware instead, but i believe there's should be things to mod your DC like for PS2, Wii etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom