The 'Things That Are Great' Thread

Shiit ,guess most of you guys outside mainland Europe watch a lot of handball?
But Jesus what a game i just saw France v Sweden (33-34).
The sheer toughness and size of those guys.
Brilliant sport

One of the many, many things I dislike about the UK is how narrow-minded we are when it comes to sports. Where I'm from you play football and/or golf and anything else is seen as a curiosity. We miss out on these other great sports!

One of the many, many things I dislike about the UK is how narrow-minded we are when it comes to sports. Where I'm from you play football and/or golf and anything else is seen as a curiosity. We miss out on these other great sports!
Handball is a great sport ,very fun and physical.
Same with hockey.
Though my main sport outside of football is basketball.
Rugby is brilliant too

Handball is a great sport ,very fun and physical.
Same with hockey.
Though my main sport outside of football is basketball.
Rugby is brilliant too

Handball is good. Ice hockey is growing - I do enjoy going to watch it, as I may do tomorrow night.

I played basketball when I was younger (a would-be Gary Payton) so I saw first hand how difficult it was to play anything other than football and it's still the same. It's our loss.

Rugby's in third place here behind football and golf. Although rugby people tend to be awful.

Handball is good. Ice hockey is growing - I do enjoy going to watch it, as I may do tomorrow night.

I played basketball when I was younger (a would-be Gary Payton) so I saw first hand how difficult it was to play anything other than football and it's still the same. It's our loss.

Rugby's in third place here behind football and golf. Although rugby people tend to be awful.
Aah ,Gary Peyton!!!
Brilliant player ,the biggest shit talker too (massive trash talker)
My all time favourite is John Stockton ,looked like a teacher ,but was deadly in ball handling.

Hockey feels like it's growing over there ,I have two Scottish guy in my online NHL team.
Man it took some time to get a grip on their accent:)
Golf has never been my thing ,I appreciate a driving range ,but got no patience for 3-4 hrs of frustration.

Aah ,Gary Peyton!!!
Brilliant player ,the biggest shit talker too (massive trash talker)
My all time favourite is John Stockton ,looked like a teacher ,but was deadly in ball handling.

Hockey feels like it's growing over there ,I have two Scottish guy in my online NHL team.
Man it took some time to get a grip on their accent:)
Golf has never been my thing ,I appreciate a driving range ,but got no patience for 3-4 hrs of frustration.

Stockton was nearly my reference but Payton got the nod as I preferred the Sonics! Payton/Kemp had more appeal to the young me over the more reserved Stockton/Malone. But I was a reasonable point guard.

Hockey's always had a strong cult following over here, particularly on the east coast (Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh) but it's definitely becoming more mainstream. As a spectator sport it's a no-brainer. It's the same principle of football but with no rain and wind. And fighting!

I understand why people both love and hate golf. It gets a bad rap because most people who are into golf are absolute twats.

Stockton was nearly my reference but Payton got the nod as I preferred the Sonics! Payton/Kemp had more appeal to the young me over the more reserved Stockton/Malone. But I was a reasonable point guard.

Hockey's always had a strong cult following over here, particularly on the east coast (Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh) but it's definitely becoming more mainstream. As a spectator sport it's a no-brainer. It's the same principle of football but with no rain and wind. And fighting!

I understand why people both love and hate golf. It gets a bad rap because most people who are into golf are absolute twats.
Been rumours since a new ownership took over Minnesota Twolves that a move to Seattle is very likely.
Loved The Sonics.
Speaking of hockey I just watched the jersey retirement ceremony for one of the great goailes ,Henrik Lundkvist of the NY Rangers ,pretty emotional stuff.

When it comes to golf ,I'm pretty sure if I started playing I'd be manic about it.

Still watch a few NBA games per week ,love that sport ,and happy to have a equally great game to live out my NBA dreams with

Been rumours since a new ownership took over Minnesota Twolves that a move to Seattle is very likely.
Loved The Sonics.
Speaking of hockey I just watched the jersey retirement ceremony for one of the great goailes ,Henrik Lundkvist of the NY Rangers ,pretty emotional stuff.

When it comes to golf ,I'm pretty sure if I started playing I'd be manic about it.

Still watch a few NBA games per week ,love that sport ,and happy to have a equally great game to live out my NBA dreams with

Watched some University Hockey live when I was in Canada and really enjoyed that and it seemed a really good standard. One of the players got signed by the Edmonton Oilers but I don't tink he ever made it beyond triple A. Also watched one game in the QMJHL as a team not too far away played in it. Also watched a fair bit on TV. Always intended to go see Montreal Canadiens but tickets were bloody expensive and it was also about 9-10 hours to get there :LOL: Seriously Canada, there's no reason to be that bloody large.

Basketball, just can't get into it, never have been, I was tall enough but never played it other than in games lessons at school

Enjoy golf but strictly amateur level.

Watched some University Hockey live when I was in Canada and really enjoyed that and it seemed a really good standard. One of the players got signed by the Edmonton Oilers but I don't tink he ever made it beyond triple A. Also watched one game in the QMJHL as a team not too far away played in it. Also watched a fair bit on TV. Always intended to go see Montreal Canadiens but tickets were bloody expensive and it was also about 9-10 hours to get there :LOL: Seriously Canada, there's no reason to be that bloody large.

Basketball, just can't get into it, never have been, I was tall enough but never played it other than in games lessons at school

Enjoy golf but strictly amateur level.
Cool ,how long did you stay in Canada?
And most importantly Matt ,did you end every sentences with "ey"?
And did you change about to aboot?

I had a bunch of years between 99-2005 when I had a 'long weekend" in New York every year ,like Wednesday-tuesday and i watched at least one game (more often 2-3) each time.
And yes quite expensive to watch hockey ,though going to Long Island or New Jersey to see the Devil's or Islanders were pretty much half price Vs MSG.
Not to mentioned NBA ,those tickets were very expensive.

Watch very little hockey nowaday ,watched last night though when they had Henrik Lundkvist jersey retirement ceremony ,some emotional stuff!

Loved The Sonics.

Franchising will never not be weird! But yeah Sonics were my team. Nearly men. Great team but, unfortunately, there were greater.

I've never managed to get into hockey on TV. Just in the flesh at Aberdeen and a couple of times in Germany. At the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin and Olympiastadion in Munich - pretty cool venues!

I only play golf about once or twice a year. If I didn't hate driving (a car) so much I'd probably play more.

Franchising will never not be weird! But yeah Sonics were my team. Nearly men. Great team but, unfortunately, there were greater.

I've never managed to get into hockey on TV. Just in the flesh at Aberdeen and a couple of times in Germany. At the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin and Olympiastadion in Munich - pretty cool venues!

I only play golf about once or twice a year. If I didn't hate driving (a car) so much I'd probably play more.
Hockey should be watched live ,not a big fan of TV hockey ,I enjoy a few NHL games per year (winter classic outdoor is one) but I watch the world championship every year ,my favourite though is the junior world championship ,played over the Christmas holiday period ,always a lot of fun

Cool ,how long did you stay in Canada?
And most importantly Matt ,did you end every sentences with "ey"?
And did you change about to aboot?

I had a bunch of years between 99-2005 when I had a 'long weekend" in New York every year ,like Wednesday-tuesday and i watched at least one game (more often 2-3) each time.
And yes quite expensive to watch hockey ,though going to Long Island or New Jersey to see the Devil's or Islanders were pretty much half price Vs MSG.
Not to mentioned NBA ,those tickets were very expensive.

Watch very little hockey nowaday ,watched last night though when they had Henrik Lundkvist jersey retirement ceremony ,some emotional stuff!

Must have seen some good games! I was there five years. What do you mean, ey? :) Didn't pick up that or the aboot! Great place though really loved it. Going back to your comment the other week of that English women saying Sweden was like England in the 80's. That's exactly what Canada reminded me of. The quieter and more relaxed times. I dare say the big cities like Toronto and Vancouver feel more American though but never went to either of those. All in all a great place although wind chill can piss right off when it's already -15! Only thing I missed, apart from family obviously, was football, it might as well have not existed. Could have gone to Montreal I suppose but again 9 hours for MLS, don't think so!

Agree re hockey live, play offs were ok to watch on tv but regular season nah

Must have seen some good games! I was there five years. What do you mean, ey? :) Didn't pick up that or the aboot! Great place though really loved it. Going back to your comment the other week of that English women saying Sweden was like England in the 80's. That's exactly what Canada reminded me of. The quieter and more relaxed times. I dare say the big cities like Toronto and Vancouver feel more American though but never went to either of those. All in all a great place although wind chill can piss right off when it's already -15! Only thing I missed, apart from family obviously, was football, it might as well have not existed. Could have gone to Montreal I suppose but again 9 hours for MLS, don't think so!

Agree re hockey live, play offs were ok to watch on tv but regular season nah
I think that's one of my deal-breaker if ever living in North America ,no football.
Can't see myself becoming a NY Redbull fan exactly:)
Both NA countries have intrigued me a lot ,the big open skies etc ,would love to experience both the wilderness of Canada and the US

Both NA countries have intrigued me a lot ,the big open skies etc ,would love to experience both the wilderness of Canada and the US

Wilderness won't be a problem. Never seen so many stars either! Ask someone there how far to somewhere and they tell you in time. Always found that amusing, where as here we'd say oh it's 10 miles away. There everything is so far it's just measured in time. :LOL: Where I was the next city was the best part of two hours away and it was city/outskirts/trees for 90 mins/outskirts/city with pretty much nothing else in between. And by city we're only talking about 150k people.

I always remember camping at one of the National Parks in Cape Breton (if you ever go for a holiday, that's a brilliant place to go, there's a road goes all around it and you can make a few days of it stopping at various places including Whale watching tours. It's just breathtaking view after breathtaking view) One of the rangers at the park there said, if you get chased by a bear and want to know which type it is, go up a tree. If it follows you up it's a black bear, if it shakes you out of the tree it's a grizzly :LOL:

Wilderness won't be a problem. Never seen so many stars either! Ask someone there how far to somewhere and they tell you in time. Always found that amusing, where as here we'd say oh it's 10 miles away. There everything is so far it's just measured in time. :LOL: Where I was the next city was the best part of two hours away and it was city/outskirts/trees for 90 mins/outskirts/city with pretty much nothing else in between. And by city we're only talking about 150k people.

I always remember camping at one of the National Parks in Cape Breton (if you ever go for a holiday, that's a brilliant place to go, there's a road goes all around it and you can make a few days of it stopping at various places including Whale watching tours. It's just breathtaking view after breathtaking view) One of the rangers at the park there said, if you get chased by a bear and want to know which type it is, go up a tree. If it follows you up it's a black bear, if it shakes you out of the tree it's a grizzly :LOL:
Ha ha bears!
I saw bears during my military time in northern Sweden ,from a distance ,but shit...up and close and I'd shit myself automatic rifle or not!
Sounds fantastic ,guess like up north here , mosquitoes are pretty much a deal breaker going in to the woods.
I remember when the locals who live far from everything always said "nah it's not far to drive it's only 150 km etc.
I get cranky down here if having to take the bus/metro two stops.

It's on my bucket list mate.

Me and my nieghbours listening to Ozzy/Black Sabbath the same album and the same song at the same moment. I have cool neighbours.

🤡😇🙃

European championship in handball ,what an insane finish!
Sweden gets the ball with 10 sec left ,26-26.
Penalty with a second to make it 27-26.
Fucking brilliant game!!!!

When I listen to Black Sabbath ,so does my neighbor's!
And my neighbours now listening Motörhead. And it seems they like it a lot, because they knocking the wall at the same rythem. :TWIST:

Congratulation mate for your win at the EC mens Handball. The danes are 3rd place. :TU:

And my neighbours now listening Motörhead. And it seems they like it a lot, because they knocking the wall at the same rythem. :TWIST:

Congratulation mate for your win at the EC mens Handball. The danes are 3rd place. :TU:
Seems like good neighbors:)
Thanks brother ,4 very good teams in Spain Sweden Denmark and France in the semi's.
Next year we have WC in Sweden ,can be epic!

Seems like good neighbors:)
Thanks brother ,4 very good teams in Spain Sweden Denmark and France in the semi's.
Next year we have WC in Sweden ,can be epic!
Hopefully we will have all got vaccinated and beated the damn virus till then.

Faith no more finally cancelled on me after waiting two years with a ticket. Going to see Ghost in April if everyone isn't dead.
Sucks!
Haven't seen FNM since the 90s.
Ghost ,man i loved their (his) first two albums ,think it's gone a bit sideways since ,same same so to speak.
Still great though

Electricity is great. Just been without for a few hours and I've no idea how humans went without it.

Looks like Aberdeen got it really bad. The size of that tree they showed on the news that was blown over from the storm, bloody hell.

Faith no more finally cancelled on me after waiting two years with a ticket. Going to see Ghost in April if everyone isn't dead.
Wouldn't Ghost be dead anyway? ;)

Back
Top Bottom