UEFA Champions League 2013/2014

in pictures

blsors11.jpg

imo there is a bigger chance for Chelsea to go through from this one, Atletico would be happier if they would got Real, Chelsea is an uknown opponent basicly, Real is not, Barca was not.

I think Courtois will play. To a degree a precident was already set when Mo Bangura played for Elfbourg (a Swedish team) against Celtic. At the time Bangura was loaned to Elfbourg by Celtic (who owned him), Celtic didn't want him to play in the CL Qualifier match but he did.

in pictures

blsors11.jpg

imo there is a bigger chance for Chelsea to go through from this one, Atletico would be happier if they would got Real, Chelsea is an uknown opponent basicly, Real is not, Barca was not.

I'm not sure about that. they seemed clueless in both copa del rey games vs real this year.

Is Bayern switch the power button off? I know the Bundesliga title is in the bag, and Pep Guardiola try a diffent system ( a type of 3-6-1 system with an extreme high line), but you play with your A-team against your bigger opposition and give just an appalling effort and exibition. The team looked so lethargic. Also in th CL, they give Man U plenty of changes to win, and only seem to really try to win the game after United had scored. This side have a chance to make history, and have perfect conditions to achieve that (apart fo the GK situation, let's see what extensive is Neuer's calf injury).
Let's see if Pep can put the fire back on the team.
PS: Only seen second half and highlights.

and he will soon sign a new contract! Good news for both teams I guess.
Yeah. But hope them sell him. Cech has another 5 years at the top level. Courtois has been amazing, but still think Cech is more complete, plus he is already a proven big team/EPL GK. No reason to roll the dice on Courtois (IMO).

Courtois is the best goalkeeper in La Liga, though. And by a mile. In a competition with lots of great goalkeepers.

No, he is not. Courtois is amazing but Casillas is still the best keeper! I feel very sorry about him...

I disagree completely. If Casillas had played a decent amount of matches, then we could compare them, but you can't live from the past.

But even so, Casillas is in a very low form and don't save difficult situations as he used. On the other hand, Courtois did incredible matches against Barcelona and Madrdi, both in the league and the Champions league.

Ok: maybe for half a mile, then? :))

I disagree completely. If Casillas had played a decent amount of matches, then we could compare them, but you can't live from the past.

But even so, Casillas is in a very low form and don't save difficult situations as he used. On the other hand, Courtois did incredible matches against Barcelona and Madrdi, both in the league and the Champions league.

Ok: maybe for half a mile, then? :))

Yes, i agree that Courtois is a totally awesome GK. He is not only a young talent, he is already one of the bests in the world. About Casillas i agree that he was better a few years ago but he is still Casilas and a great keeper! Ancelotti is blind... In my opinion he is still one of the bests in the world!

Well, that's a debate that belongs to the Real Madrid thread and was quite heated for some time. I don't understand what happens with Casillas anyway, it must have something to do with his contract, his relationship with Florentino or something else. Because he's indeed a great goalkeeper and a nice guy as well.

Cortouis in mine opinion is a top 5 gk today (in a non-specific order, the others are Neuer, Cech, Handanovic and Buffon). Cech is more complete, since he has the range, but is more agile and have better position, altough Cortouis is much better coming out of the goal, on one-on-one situations (Cech has a what is called a defensive stance, is more likely to be close to the goal). The only knock on Cech game was his mental approach, he seemed sometimes unattached to some games. But Mourinho seemed to have fixed that.
Cortouis deserves to be sold to a top team (included Atlético), to consolidate his career. He is incredible. Best GK in La Liga by far. It's a good move for Chelsea. €25/35 Million help them go for a big name striker. And in 5 year another top young keeper will appear (Neuer, for example, wasn't suppose to start in South Africa, only a injury to Adler gave him the nod and now he's the best GK in the world, IMO).
As for Casillas, he has the problem that most smaller, more athletic GK's had in the past (with the exception of Michel Preud'homme - god, I loved to see him play till his 40's). When they became older, when the agility start to disappear, they cannot reach to the same balls that they used to. Look at Buffon, is athleticism is almost gone. In the second ball, if he is on the floor he takes so long to get up. But because is a tall keeper, with the best position that I ever saw (last 15 years or so), and because of that is able to compensate and still remain at a high level.

i wanna see atlético and chelsea draw over the 2 legs and then see courtois score the winning penalty to send chelsea out:BOP:

Even for Mourinho’s standards this was a shameful performance. He did not only parked the bus, he parked the whole fleet. 0-0 against a counter-attack team like Atléti isn't that much of a result to bring home.

Even for Mourinho’s standards this was a shameful performance. He did not only parked the bus, he parked the whole fleet. 0-0 against a counter-attack team like Atléti isn't that much of a result to bring home.

I agree, but i think (and i don't know why) that that was the result that Mourinho was looking for. In the second hand, i think Mourinho will make their players playing with all their energies. He will do all he can to be in the final! But Atletico will be a very very difficult opponent!

And certainly there is a smart reason for Mourinho makes Chelsea play the way they played today...

chelsea defended well, kept diego costa out of the game and were organised and that, but 0-0 is almost never a good result for the team that plays the 1st leg away. if atlético score 1st in 2nd leg it will be game over, chelsea will then have to attack and atlético will just dick them on the counter

That was just pitiful. I generally have no problem with defensive sides in important matches but there are defensive and DEFENSIVE. Chelsea didn't even attempt to attack and that's just disrespectful towards the people in the stands, to the sport in general and to themselves.

I wasn't really hoping for Chelsea to begin with but after this I hope they get a thorough beating unlike anything previously seen this late in the CL competition ever. That would serve them right.

Back
Top Bottom