Virtua Striker 4

NickSCFC

Banned
18 July 2003
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Stoke City/Liverpool
Just wondering if anyones actually played this and whether they could give some impressions on it. Used to be a bit of a fan of the game myself, gameplay was solid enough, always loved the style, all footie games should let you play in a sunset ;)

sega_virtua_striker4_cabinet.jpg

Have played it, tis same old Virtua Striker, cept it now has a sprint button! Great for an arcade experience, or playing with mates, but not alot has changed bar the sprint button and more selection of tactics, think you can actually change your players before kick off too.

I've tried all the games of the series and in my opinion VS4 plays slightly different from the other VS games, I think it's more "tactical" with subs and so on.

It disappointed me a bit to be honest. the graphics are better than every other VS but in my opinion the gameplay doesn't provide the same "true" feeling as the previous games.
they slowed the game down (slower than VS2002 imo) and added some other simulative features (like subs for example) but the game ended up being a little too slow.
shooting is worse compared to other VS releases (too easy in VS2 where nearly every long-range was a goal.. in VS2002 it was perfect: difficult enough, but with a bit of practice you could place the ball within an inch from wherever you wanted) and you can get past the opponents too easily imo.

in the end it's good, gameplay is not that deep anymore (well, never been very deep but at least until VS2002 it provided a very good feeling) and that's the reason I still prefer the 2002 edition to be honest..

mmmh.. VS4 on gamecube?
technically it's possible: VS4 was originally developed for triforce which is more or less a gamecube (just a little more powerful), so I wouldn't be surprised if you were right..

atm I am pretty sure the only gamecube porting was VS3:2002 (called simply VS2002 here in Europe if I don't remember wrong though it was different from the "real" VS2002 of the arcades), I never heard about a VS4 conversion too but this doesn't mean it doesn't exist of course..

some people, some time ago, rumoured about a probable brand new release for PS3 (they talked about VS5) but it never got confirmed and nothing happened since..

Last edited:
I never really clicked with this series, as I didn't find kicking and running constantly particulary fun. I remember returning the GC release within a couple of days of purchase.

However, the series always includes plenty of Sega touches (the players celebrating with the water bottle in the goal on 2002 or the beautiful sunset in the distance) and usually has amazing graphics for its time, which always result in me sucumbing and buying the console ports on release (I'm clearly just a Sega-whore).

I played VS4 at my local arcade recently, and despite the added sprint button it felt like more of the same. Its a shame, because as I said before, the graphics and atmosphere of the game is great, but has never really delivered gameplay wise.

I'd still take ISS 64/98 for my 3D arcadey football thrills over any game in the VS series.

Last edited:
sounds like a bit of OT but that's it: providing a good environment has always been a key feature in sega's games, even more than providing a deep gameplay..
did anyone try F355 challenge? also in that game, the sunset was truly amazing.. especially at Monza, it seemed real (though the game was developed for the oooooooold NAOMI board) but for the ones that never played it, just have a look yourselves:
f355_screen.jpg

..better than VS2, isn't it?

Forgot to post this šŸ™ƒ

Virtua Striker 4 is finally emulated on PC

Dolphin Triforce brodostar and settings for low-end PCs http://www.emuline.org/topic/2728-e...ws-pc-dolphin-emulator/page/2/#comment-124473

Virtua Striker is a series of association football sports video games released by Sega.
Virtua Striker 1 released for arcade machines, 18 years later ported to XBLA and PSN.
Virtua Striker 2 released for arcade machines, ported to Sega Dreamcast.
Virtua Striker 3 released for arcade machines, ported to Nintendo GameCube.

Last game in the series, Virtua Striker 4 released for arcade machines and never got a home console port. It only released for arcades but arcade machine it released for was Triforce, a machine based on Nintendo Gamecube. Triforce is an arcade system board developed jointly by Namco, Sega, and Nintendo, with the first games appearing in 2002. The system hardware consists of a retail GameCube motherboard, with custom devices interfacing with the EXI, SI and DI, as well as a custom IPL.

Dolphin is a successful GameCube emulator, it had a branch for emulating Triforce but not getting updated for the last 8 years! Brodostar managed to do his own version to run Virtua Striker 4. In his words "The latest version of Dolphin Triforce technically already emulates VS4, but whatā€™s preventing it from running is the Media board boot/firm version check at boot, and the incorrect input mapping for the game (VS4 is the only game in the franchise with analog lever input)."

Virtua Striker 4, along with many Triforce games was already getting emulated on Wii and Wii U thanks to Nintendont compatibility layer. Virtua Striker 4 released in 2004 and 18 years later, finally emulated on PC. In this video I played Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006 (Export). As for personal opinion, I don't enjoy Virtua Striker games at all. I already uploaded a short video for Virtua Striker 1. I don't recommend them but I'm happy that they are getting available and preserved.

Oh yes, Brodo did a wonderful job with this! ā¤ļø
I came here to post exactly the same thing (the link to the original thread) as I spent several hours playing Virtua Striker 2002 over the weekend, but I'm late to the party it seems.

As I said in different occasions: I'm not that interested that much in Virtua Striker 4 anymore (despite having played it to a considerable extent back in 2004 when it started replacing 2002 at the arcades I was usually going to, before novelty started to wear off and I realized that I was still liking 2002 more)... Looking back to it now, it looks to me that the game kinda lost its roots with that release.

I've been waiting for a lot of time to play Virtua Striker 2002 on Triforce again though, and Brodo finally made it possible.
The emulation isn't perfect yet (it slows down occasionally, and it has a couple of glitches like the ball becoming stuck to a player's face for some seconds from time to time which is pretty hilarious to see, and the replays not working properly) but hey, it's playable. And enjoyable.

Needless to say (but it's the inner toddler speaking here), the "BEVI-ILBRODOSTAR" (which in Italian means "drink the Star broth") board ID has me giggling every single time I boot the emulator.

Last edited:
Was a big fan of the 1st and especially the 2nd, never played in another plateform than the 2 on Dreamcast/Arcade and the 1st on Arcade.

The 4 looks pretty fun and following some football logic even for an Arcade base game. Will try to get it on Windows then
It's one of the rare 128 bits games i can play at least more than 2 games. @Theshy7 thanks a lot for the info. Will install it sooner or later for sure.

sounds like a bit of OT but that's it: providing a good environment has always been a key feature in sega's games, even more than providing a deep gameplay..
did anyone try F355 challenge? also in that game, the sunset was truly amazing.. especially at Monza, it seemed real (though the game was developed for the oooooooold NAOMI board) but for the ones that never played it, just have a look yourselves:
f355_screen.jpg

..better than VS2, isn't it?
I brought that game on Dreamcast, was the only cars game which was appealing at the time (graphisms and animation were spectacular, "real lify"
As the Arcade version was an... Arcade game, the Dreamcast version was pure simulation. Too hard for me lol, but very advanced cars physics and representation of a real one, the F355, for that time.

Back
Top Bottom