Active Soccer 2023

@millossobek
Really an interesting reading.

1. There is a career mode really close to SWOS one. It means you can purchase / sell players, each players has a value and a wage but it is something really simple and not boring. Of course the game manages bookings and disqualifications, as well as injuries that can happen in the pitch or while training. About tactic designer, each player has his own zone. If you place a player outside this highlighted zone he will decrease his performance. Each player has a form, ie: it is better to play with a 3 stars player in a good shape instead of playing with a bad shape 4 stars player. Also at the end of the season there is an assessment, each players in the Active Soccer world will modifiy his stats accordingly to their seasonal performance, including the player values. National teams at each new season will be formed with the best players of the current seasons; the teams are dynamic.
About youth system it is an idea will be implemented in the next Active Soccer editions. I consider AS2023 a starting point, I would like to expand the managerial part in the future.

2. There are dozens of leagues all over the world. The major countries have more divisions (ie: England has 5 divisions, Germany 3 divisions, Italy, Spain and France 2 divisions and so on). The game currently support really an impressive number of teams. You can play the south korean league, or the brasilian league, or the norwegian league. The list is really long, I can't mention all of them.

3. I agree 100% with you, Although it is something that can be improved, passing made by Modric will follow accurately your gamepad direction while a low passing stat player would pass a slow not accurate ball.

4. About customization it is something I would love to add. I Just feel I have not enough time to make the game customizable already in this edition, I hope in the future updates to make the game moddable.

You can play the south korean league, or the brasilian league,
This is music to my ears!! :BSCARF:

Thanks a lot for your response. I can't wait to try out the game and all that wonderful variety of leagues!! I'm also glad that you agree with the stats part as well. The managerial part of the game also looks really well thought out, getting very excited about this and will be looking forward to even more developments and news!!

You're welcome, also... i know you said no online mode (which i totally understand, it means a lot of maintaining to another new stuff and probably a whole group to support the server) but how about lan party? like pes4 or fifa11 used to have, that will allow us to play with friends from any place with just a vpn software
You can play the game up to 4 local players,
Online is something that I am going to implement. I don't exactly know if it will be available at the release or it will be available in a update.
I am not a Steam gamer but I suppose the Remote Play on Steam can let you play the game online, isn't it?

You can play the game up to 4 local players,
Online is something that I am going to implement. I don't exactly know if it will be available at the release or it will be available in a update.
I am not a Steam gamer but I suppose the Remote Play on Steam can let you play the game online, isn't it?

Mmm yesn't, its like parsec, for a soccer game its quite sensitive i believe because it will depends on the internet conection, here's an example:

i'm the host, i will have to transmit the game as a live broadcast and host the match but this also will allow my friend to play has a guest like teamviewer, the downside? it will consume upload for the video transmition and if the other user doesn't have a good internet to view the video of what he's playing there'll be delay, as in video and input delay. i'm a pro remote play i love it, but for some games doesn't work really great, using a simple tcp/ip protocol from the game side like lan party it will consume less resources from both sides. well that's my networking knowledge talking. but also if you manage to do a online server will be amazing :)

Steam store link added to first post. Thanks for chiming in here, @TheFoxSoft , would be great to be kept in the loop!

Nice thing you were able to get Chris Hülsbeck involved, btw. Being German myself the man's still a legend for everyone who grew up playing Turrican :D
I listen to the Turrican II soundtrack every week, there's some amazing tunes in that game.

Back on topic, really looking forward to this for a quick blast. I've got to a point with work and personal life where I don't really have much time to play games any more. Having played both the previous versions on mobile / tablet, this could fit be a perfect pick up and play game for those spare 30 mins I get every now and again.

I put a stupid amount of hours into Active Soccer 2 on my old iPad when I was commuting 3-4 hours every day. As an old SWOS fan, this was very similar but with elements of Kick Off 2 in there as well (similar ball trapping mechanic). Added to my wishlist on Steam

Last edited:
@marqisspes6

I understand, so no server is involved.

I have so much task to do before the release but I will try to include online playing in the very first release. I can't promise anything, but I will do my best :))

@Tom
Yes, it is very cool having Chris involved in the project!
I am a huge fan of Chris, I listen Apidya, Turrican and other albums on a daily basis.
Chris Huelsbeck has also a Patreon channel in which he releases one new track per month; I suggest anyone to give it a try.

Wow, this is really interesting! Player models and graphic style reminded me of the intros to early PES games. If this game will be open for modding it will be really cool! I also hope that in this game there will be a difference between the players (depending on their stats) and the tactics of teams. Already on my wishlist!

@TheFoxSoft I really love the looks and aesthetic of your game, i'm really looking forward to it!

If I may make a small suggestion, Many of us like to have the choice to remove certain HUD elements such as radar and playe indicators etc for immersion... Will you be enabling us to toggle these on or off too?

@TheFoxSoft I really love the looks and aesthetic of your game, i'm really looking forward to it!

If I may make a small suggestion, Many of us like to have the choice to remove certain HUD elements such as radar and playe indicators etc for immersion... Will you be enabling us to toggle these on or off too?

Ok I add this request in my to do list. What about the player indicator? How can you detect the player you are controlling if you turn it off?

All this sounds really promising and the minute it hits xbox - im getting it no matter what, coz developers like yourself might be only hope for offline players in the future. I really wish you all the best!

As for the game itself and another little suggestion - there is one thing I always wanted to have in a football game, but I didnt see it in any since International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (or was it one of the early Pes games?) - When you are selecting kits before a match - can you implement separate selection of shirt/shorts/socks?
So people could mix and match during matches? Its such a small detail but adds so much in a long run.

Last edited:
Ok I add this request in my to do list. What about the player indicator? How can you detect the player you are controlling if you turn it off?
Maybe you could add the names above players heads for both teams, Like on PES/eFootball?

You can disable the actual indicator but the player name above the head will behave as the indicator instead

@Emroth
Thanks again for the kind words.
This is exactly what I have implemented :)) You can choose home / away kit or a mix, selecting shirt / shorts / socks Independently

View attachment 184406
Holy moly this game literally came out of nowhere and it makes me more excited than all others combined in recent years.😂

I'm not that much into arcade games in terms of football but seeing the passion and effort you are putting into this game will make me open an exception*.

Added to my wishlist and will keep look into this topic and your twitter.

Hope you the best in this project!

Last edited:
If your football game will have decent AI with various patterns of play, bringing unpredictability on the pitch - thats a great start.
If player attributes really matter and make the difference - fantastic.
If you have fouls, injuries, cards that happen organically - amazing.
Pretty much this.
And if you feel brave, you may have different managers resort to different types of football instead of bring it team-based.

I mean... If Islington (guess who they are) have Mr. Andrews as a manager and he likes to play wide on the wings and have a tall centre striker who is supreme at heading the ball in (say someone like Bierhoff used to be), they'll play like that and try to sign players functional to that style of play.
One day Mr. Andrews and Islington's roads part: Islington sign Mr. Zapatero whose style of play is, basically, pass-the-ball-into-the-net. They should adapt to the new manager's style of play either in terms of how they play on the pitch (formation, patterns of play) and off the pitch (in a perfect world, they should be also very active on the transfer market to, say, sell that Bierhoff-like striker and to buy someone who's shorter and quicker and has better feet, no matter if he can't head a ball in to save his life).
On the other hand, Mr. Andrews joining AC Navigli would bring there his "hug the touchline and cross it in" style of play, and the team should be on the lookout for players matching that style of play.

And yes, please, no regens. I definitely hate seeing Z. IBRAHIMOVIC retiring and then coming back as a 16-year-old wonderkid.
Something like FIFA's style of creating newgens would be more than enough.
Or something like this, which in my opinion is the ideal solution.

By the way, are you Italian? If so (and if you are OK with this) I'll write you a PM in italian so to make sure to not have any language barrier. 😉

Keep it up, man! We're all looking forward to this as you can see. 💪

Last edited:
@TheFoxSoft may i ask about the system that the game runs on, is it a custom made engine or something that's publicly available?
The game changed game engine several times.
With Active Soccer 2023 I felt the need to change the engine in order to improve the game. AS2023 is built wih Unreal Engine 4.27 and it allows to display thousands of real 3d crowd maintaining low requirements

All this sounds really promising and the minute it hits xbox - im getting it no matter what, coz developers like yourself might be only hope for offline players in the future. I really wish you all the best!
Well, if you don't want to wait... There's the 2019 version of the game (which I just bought by the way, and which I can't wait to try): https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/active-soccer-2019/9pnnqm55l3jv

Thanks @millossobek for letting us know about this game, and of course all the best to @TheFoxSoft for the new installment. 💪

@*aLe
just consider Active Soccer 2023 is a huge step forward in all aspects
Yeah it can be seen from the videos, and that’s why I’m looking forward to the new version!
Yet, I played a handful of matches with 2019 on Xbox One and… Well it actually feels rough and a bit “stiff”, the keepers need sorting in some occasions (they somehow concede goals that should never go in), the UI can be polished… But the “late ‘80s, early ‘90s arcades” feeling is there.
I got a “Konami Premier Soccer” kind of feeling more than a Sensi/Kickoff one but hey, it felt good.
I don’t know if this is a “one-man work” or the product of a small indie studio (if this is the case… How many people, if I could ask?) but it is a good starting point and if you say 2023 is better in many aspects (keepers for example seem way better in the 2022 videos and in the 2023 trailer, and it looks also the UI has been refined which is a good thing) it’s definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Thank you and keep it up!

if this is the case… How many people, if I could ask?
I was wondering the same thing..
The way I see it - its like @Chris Davies said - there is more than enough small developers that create retro-fun-arcade football games that comes and go without much notice.
Football games these days really need a brave developer, who will create something like "Dark Souls" of football. Something that will not be pick up and play, but rather - practice and be rewarded approach.
Im aware that Active Soccer might not be that from the get go, but if I was to make ultimate suggestion - small developers should explore this avenue. Create a game that requires grind and effort to get good. Coz struggle like this means that football fans will get hooked instead of getting bored.

Back
Top Bottom