Active Soccer 2023

I'll try to answer to everything here, sorry if I miss anything.

I know what you mean, in Active Soccer 2023 the slide is remapped to Cross button like in PES
That's great! I know it's just me not adapting to a different control scheme easily enough, but I really think that a "PES-esque" control scheme with player change set to 'LB' and slide tackle set to 'B' would help people coming from eFootball feel "home" 😁

With the shooting and crossing button the more you hold the button the more higher / longer the shoot / cross will be. Did you try it?
Yeah I tried that and it works well. The fact that I was asking for a "one button does all" control scheme is just because I'm still playing SWOS on Xbox One from time to time and I find it intriguing. I agree it's not "modern" though.

In Active Soccer 2023 (and if I remember well in AS2019 as well) you must press once the dash button to control the player and move him freely.
Well, thank you! I didn't know that but I'll definitely give it a try. 😉

May I ask if you would like to have in AS2023 the option to disable all the assistance? I mean everything full manual, including pass reception and dribbling?
I'd like to try it, yes. I'd definitely like to. This would then probably spark the "usual" discussion about stats not mattering if one plays full manual and such, it's been discussed here many times already (this is one of them but not the only, and this is my "updated" take on manual passing and stats working together if you fancy a read). Of course I quoted examples of posts of mine as I knew where to search for them, but I'm sure it's been discussed many times elsewhere on these forums. As I said, it's kinda recurrent.

Last edited:
Personally, I would like to have the option of everything full manual, provided the game still works well, unless it is very difficult to program whilst retaining a decent level of coherent gameplay. And to help balance the gameplay, it's possibly important that if the player is on full manual (and that makes that game more difficult to play), that the cpu team is also somehow less "assisted/scripted" .

In terms of multiple buttons, do you think there's scope to have a button to specifically choose to header the ball. As you know, when receiving a high ball in PES, you press the shoot button and the game decides whether to perform a normal kick, chest the ball, overhead kick or header, based on context but sometimes makes a choice that you didn't want. It would be interesting to see if you could implement a control system where the user always decides what action to perform in those situations, even if it means that if they make a bad choice, the outcome is the player you're controlling makes a mess of it on the pitch. eg. they receive a high cross and press kick instead of header and completely miss the ball or attempt an overhead kick, or they receive a lower cross and press header instead of kick, so the player dives down to try to header it and either pulls of a diving header or makes a mess of it. Possibly do it on top of existing pass and shoot buttons as a button combo, eg. pressing shoot + L1 = headed shot, pressing pass + L1 = headed pass.

It possibly adds too much complication for you to program that?
I would add, let a button to perform low+strong shots. Not totally linear though, (as we already know from real life football it's impossible), but at least don't be binary like in footy games now: Full power gauge= shot height, little power gauge= low height.

Let as have an option to shoot, or try to shoot low, and let the stats and the context or the momentum decide the height, i mean, IN REAL LIFE, you can apply an approx height to your shot, depending on the angle of your upper body, the part of your foot you kick the ball, and the spot you kick it. Now the height usually varies, depending on the moment, the positioning, and the tecnhique of the shooter.

In football games, it is usually the longer you press the button, the higher the ball goes, but this removes the possibility to to hit a low+strong shot. So a modifier for low+strong shot, would be good.

And to make it more SIM-like, i would suggest if possible, the height of the shot to be dependant on other variables i told before, IE shooting with full power gauge with Sami Hyypia, cannot result to low shoot, even if you applied the button combination, but shooting with prime Cristiano Ronaldo, to result to a low enough shoot.

Last edited:
I am quite busy but I am reading all the discussion. There are many interesting ideas here.
I actually love "full manual" but when I play against people with assistance I feel the game is unfair because I play having less accuracy. In Active Soccer there is a "mild" assistance on pass, if you impress a wrong angle the pass will be wrong.
Great idea about low height "full power" shot.
Of course these are all ideas that can be implemented in the next editions of Active Soccer, there is not enough time.
@*aLe I confirm player switching is assigned to LB in Active Soccer 2023

I actually love "full manual" but when I play against people with assistance I feel the game is unfair because I play having less accuracy
Full Manual is usually used to balance imperfectly implemented AI difficulties.
Normally in all recent football games - the higher the difficulty - the more unnatural AI plays.
All teams becoming Barcelona in its prime, with perfect ping pong passes and laser shots.
A lot of people play on Lower difficulties, where AI is much more "human" and balance it with Full Manual, so the game remains challenging.

When it comes to online, against people - full manual can be fantastic, providing other person is also using it.
Hence its important to implement Similar Settings/Assistance Filter when searching for opponents. Its what Pes used to have and eFootball severely misses.

I would add, let a button to perform low+strong shots. Not totally linear though, (as we already know from real life football it's impossible), but at least don't be binary like in footy games now: Full power gauge= shot height, little power gauge= low height.

Let as have an option to shoot, or try to shoot low, and let the stats and the context or the momentum decide the height, i mean, IN REAL LIFE, you can apply an approx height to your shot, depending on the angle of your upper body, the part of your foot you kick the ball, and the spot you kick it. Now the height usually varies, depending on the moment, the positioning, and the tecnhique of the shooter.

In football games, it is usually the longer you press the button, the higher the ball goes, but this removes the possibility to to hit a low+strong shot. So a modifier for low+strong shot, would be good.

And to make it more SIM-like, i would suggest if possible, the height of the shot to be dependant on other variables i told before, IE shooting with full power gauge with Sami Hyypia, cannot result to low shoot, even if you applied the button combination, but shooting with prime Cristiano Ronaldo, to result to a low enough shoot.

I wonder if the old-school after-touch would accommodate that. When pressing shoot, pulling back on the left-stick would cause the ball to rise, pushing-forward would cause the ball to dip/stay low, and pushing left and right would cause swerve in those directions. That always felt very natural and adding player stats in to the mix to affect the outcome could be a really nice control. Adding context on top of that would be particularly impressive.

Another suggestion is to have pitches of different dimensions. I think the FA (&FIFA) guidelines permit pitches to be between 90m-120m long and 45m-90m wide, so plenty of scope for variation which could lead to more variety in the type of match, with some more expansive with plenty of space down the flanks, others much more scrappy with the play crowded into the midfield.

If PES implemented this, it would probably go a long way to resolving its problem of way too much space in midfield.

Last edited:
@TheFoxSoft Hi there! Wondering what news regarding Active Soccer lately? Would love to hear any updates/developments or how it's been going with the game in general. :) Hope that the whole designing process is great and that you're having a great time with it!

I haven't written much but I'm working hard on a playable demo to exhibit at the Milan Games Week event this Friday.
Recently implemented features:
- sensitivity of player selection
- rebound of the ball when players collide
- goalkeeper adjustments
- Localization: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Dutch
- music in the menus
- title screen
- rewrote a lot of CPU code to make it more aggressive and hard
- refined the graphics of the weather effects
- squad update with world cup lineups

I was getting kinda worried indeed. 😅
Hopefully everything went well at the MGW, and of course I hope you managed to get some valuable feedback from the people who tried it "hands-on" if you managed to bring the demo.

Keep us posted man, we're on your side! 💪

Hope that everything went well in the Milan Games Week Event! That's great that you're working on all those updates, sounds really good!

I thought of another idea, I don't know if it might be too difficult to implement. Perhaps you could put "realistic transfer nationality limits" depending on the league? For example..

- K-League: Maximum of 5 foreign players per team. One of these foreigners must be from an AFC nation and one from an ASEAN country.
- Argentinean League: Maximum of 6 foreign players per team. Maximum of 5 foreign players in the matchday squad.

etc..

I know this sounds actually pretty hard, and don't know if it can be implemented in the code.. But if it was possible to do something of the sort, man I'd think it'd be revolutionary in football gaming. These changes could be optional when starting career mode, it would really add to the realism and immersion!

Best of luck man!! Hope the design's going great!! :BSCARF:

I have not been able to update you on developments as I am 100% focused on releasing the game by March.
I think I will eventually choose to use the Early Access mode as I would like to evolve and balance Active Soccer 2023 together with the community.
The first version might exclude the online mode and replays, those ones will be included in the final version.
I have also recently introduced other weather conditions such as light/heavy rain, light/heavy snow, fog and wind to make each match unique.

Last edited:
I have not been able to update you on developments as I am 100% focused on releasing the game by March.
I think I will eventually choose to use the Early Access mode as I would like to evolve and balance Active Soccer 2023 together with the community.
The first version might exclude the online mode and replays, the will be included in the final version.
I have also recently introduced other weather conditions such as light/heavy rain, light/heavy snow, fog and wind to make each match unique.
I'm looking forward to playing this game, looking forward to the release

I haven't written much but I'm working hard on a playable demo to exhibit at the Milan Games Week event this Friday.
Recently implemented features:
- sensitivity of player selection
- rebound of the ball when players collide
- goalkeeper adjustments
- Localization: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Dutch
- music in the menus
- title screen
- rewrote a lot of CPU code to make it more aggressive and hard
- refined the graphics of the weather effects
- squad update with world cup lineups
If you can, at least one day, may you send me the database or some teams i will ask? Just to see the way of it. rating and facemaking are both a bit my specialities.
Because there's tons of leagues without information. And doing them with FM is the same as doing them randomly (as for less known players : they got a different set at each save)
I can work with you at first to help, and then if you will needs me and like my ideas, i can be like your "employee" in the future lol. That's not for money but by passion.

I think about a system since a long time with stats on 20, and one idea i got since more than 15 years on 20 (or -0 to -20 i don't know how to interpret it): negative stats or easier, negative players behavior and/or technical or physical for X positions.
A CB playing too high for example. It's a bit special but it's doable : just needs time. But not for now : i would like to check only the way you rated players ;)

There's should be limitation regarding age as they will evolve, and one kind of pyramidal system for stats. BUT not the same stats for each player by position. SMF global "Attack" for example should include "crossing" more than "shooting" in the equation :).

Several People here could work on it : we got a football basis. Me for the database and the system to create players, @Chris Davies for the AI, @Emroth as a main beta tester and could work on Career mode with Chris, still tons of members (Slamsoze, Madmac, millosobek, etc. i forgot tons of people that may help you after march for "Active Soccer 2 > New season :ROCK:

One thing you need to found an alternative for your career mode if you plan it offline : Regens. Taking a CR7 with a stats a bit changed and youth...
Also player growth shouldn't be something settle and that's all, but dynamic. Such as training.
As you know i got tons of idea as i kinda studied PES stats logic and even FIFA stats since Fifa 09 or 10 to FIFA 16.
Also one thing pretty important : don't do live update. It's taking too much time and you will got to create players from the bench who will never ever be there again...
Just one update for the most used players formations, used ones and main 1st team bro. Time loss and randomization for players no one will play with...

Now, it's an Arcade game. I would like a version, still simple and accessible but less "arcade" > i mean less spectacular thing in the game. Not sim neither but Action Football like older PES and FIFA PS3 would be great.
With some changes you could do it in a future. 2 versions or 2 modes "sim" (just for the name) and "arcade" like in old FIFA. And a filter for it online or course but MANUAL should be totally manual : shoots and pass (here i talk for my manual lover friend, i play with 1 bar assistance ;))

And finally, don't assist too much. Or manual/half assisted/assisted : Half assisted should be like PA1 in PES 2021 or better, PES 2015, or like Semi on FIFA.

Sorry bro i don't ask you everything i just trow ideas that cames to my mind i wanted to say since the beginning 🤣 . I thrust in your game in term of fun, and it's perhaps Arcade but i see logic while players are turning etc. / Only ball physics management is arcade and spectacular shoot like bicycle kick pretty strong etc.)
All my love for the upcoming game ❤️ i'm pretty sure that it wil sell : i'm convinced with all the details you've added already in 2 years it's incredible;

Last edited:
Several People here could work on it : we got a football basis. Me for the database and the system to create players, @Chris Davies for the AI, @Emroth as a main beta tester and could work on Career mode with Chris, still tons of members (Slamsoze, Madmac, millosobek, etc
... :LOL:
You cant just come in and volunteer people to do stuff they might not have time/interest/skills for!
What are you like?? :LOL:

... :LOL:
You cant just come in and volunteer people to do stuff they might not have time/interest/skills for!
What are you like?? :LOL:

No you all just shut up and work on Active Soccer it's your duty as a.... a... Just work on it that's all

Well in fact i only purposed people qualified for some stuffs take it as compliment :SHAKE::SMOKIN:
I forgot to mention "if they want to" or something like that sorry guys :JAY: :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
When Sensei Vialli says it... It's your duty!!!!! :SAL: hahahahaha I love how you just recruited half of evoweb without them knowing LOOOL it really cracked me up :LMAO: :LMAO:

I actually like a lot of your suggestions! I like the "semi-assisted" passing option (I am also a 1-bar assist player), like PES 2021 or 2015 it's a good balance, with stats weight into account.. I also like the dynamic growth patterns, I am sure @TheFoxSoft is creating a great game.. we are all waiting eagery for Active Soccer. :)

I am ESPECIALLY excited about the number of different announced "obscure" leagues. :)

Last edited:
Well i purposed but i was so focus on remembering stuffs to add that i mentionned some members and when i read it again it looks like they will help in anytime and it finished to "work with" lol.

Edit:
I only send half of my idea, but it's not my game. If i could do something regarding stats and create a system for it (if he didn't got one already : he's smart)

Just beta test his game and send him feedback is already very good for him it's certain.
But at least saying a bit how you would doo what you mention : he's very talented but he doesn't got telepathy already (in his next evolution)
And remember it's an open-source, don't remember what engine through

For console a bit later then?
Can't wait to try it. I rarely found an Arcade footie game fun but from the vids, it really looks fun.
In fact, there's a retro-touch i like.

Looks highly promising. You already have the basics down for my dream retro game. I'm not a developer, so I'll just tell you my idea and hope you can do it :)

SWOS + Pro Clubs mixed together.

Meaning you can add curve to your passes, crosses and shots, player attributes matter and you can perform regular ground pass, chipped pass, through ball etc and ideally you can play manual/semi assisted. Then, you have an online mode much like Pro Clubs. So 11v11 games online where everyone only controls 1 player. Or even 5v5 would be great. I think this social gaming + retro football game would be totally unique and really help sell the game and help people recommend and share it with people online. You could even expand and add Pro Clubs leagues/cups and generate revenue by offering Pro Club teams the ability to upgrade their stadium and make small cosmetic changes for a small fee, say 50p. As long as gameplay changes weren't affected. I think it would be a good way to increase your profits, but not negatively affect the gameplay.

I think those improvements could be in a future update, i will ddl on Steam (my gfx card would be good) so i can test some stuffs.

I noticed that the game is very aerial based (so a bit too easy to play high ball and receive it), i want to check having the confirmation.

What i would like, is as the game is clearly retro-indie Arcade based, to get at least... The physics fundamental, like we said in the Retrogaming thread or Retro PES : the games from Arcade which was supposed to be easy like Super Sidekicks wasn't, and following the physics logic.
Example, when you run fast it should be harder to stop, like when you turn from a big angle it would take more time to change direction. All of it is lost more or less in actual "fake sim" games... They litteraly erased stuffs which every games got in common.

Also shooting in a different position would be harder from a position, the shoot would loose power and directions etc.
All of it related to stats of course ;)

Well in few words "the very basic Fundamentals of football games"... Which aren't even in Fifa since 22 and disappearing in Efootball from version to version.

I think those improvements could be in a future update, i will ddl on Steam (my gfx card would be good) so i can test some stuffs.

I noticed that the game is very aerial based (so a bit too easy to play high ball and receive it), i want to check having the confirmation.

What i would like, is as the game is clearly retro-indie Arcade based, to get at least... The physics fundamental, like we said in the Retrogaming thread or Retro PES : the games from Arcade which was supposed to be easy like Super Sidekicks wasn't, and following the physics logic.
Example, when you run fast it should be harder to stop, like when you turn from a big angle it would take more time to change direction. All of it is lost more or less in actual "fake sim" games... They litteraly erased stuffs which every games got in common.

Also shooting in a different position would be harder from a position, the shoot would loose power and directions etc.
All of it related to stats of course ;)
Yes it is easier to play high ball respect to other games mostly because the player speed is high and the inertia is less present respect to the real counterpart..
Anyway this is something I would like to improve in the next editions (if any)

Do as you want, if you found it more fun that's a gameplay choice ;) @TheFoxSoft
Now, i know it's more arcade so it's better to do acrobatic stuffs. Well you may try thing in the next iteration, a bit less aerial but with a trick to push the ball up and makes volleys or Bicycle ;) as long as it doesn't always work (like with your Keeper etc.)

As you're searching fun, i found enjoyable in an arcade based football game to makes stuffs, it may gives some good feelings, to shoot when the you just upped the ball for it, having different possibilities regarding ball physics, power depending how you've performed the volley would gives great sensations.
Well it's my point of view :). I'll explain better, a combo command to up the ball for doing aerial stuffs i mean.
But it shouldn't be more effective and as often performed than a simple shot, just more fun to do and beautiful when the timing is perfect.

Just a basic idea for a simple possible movement if you decide to keep the game as much aerial than on the ground. To me as long as i got fun to play with your game and a good retro feeling, that's enough + your career system which seems fantastic, that's enough to spend good hours in front of my screen.

I suppose you based from what i saw, an instinctive commands system and movements, more than super hard tricks to do with the pad which are simple IRL to do. All about the feeling right? I'm on.
Hope people will follow your game and then you will get more possibilities. Like mixing between "sim" (even if the engine is simple) and "arcade" for speed and all related. Well PES/FIFA are Action football, not sim, but it's just an appellation to say that the game is closer to reality regarding some aspects.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom