EA SPORTS PGA Tour [PS5/XBS/PC]

New course and patch dropping tomorrow.

Still no sign of "turn order" i.e. being able to watch your opponent's shots online, which is the only thing I care about right now. Playing against a friend feels like playing on your own...

New course and patch dropping tomorrow.

Still no sign of "turn order" i.e. being able to watch your opponent's shots online, which is the only thing I care about right now. Playing against a friend feels like playing on your own...

Good to see they're updating the game but I'm afraid it will be dead on PC if they don't speed up major updates with specific features. No turn order, no option to choose number of rounds, idk why they're not pushing these "fixes".
Numbers on Steam don't lie. Nearly 22000 sales, 400 playing the game on "peak" hours. The other golf game gets a daily increase in players reaching 2500.

Good to see they're updating the game but I'm afraid it will be dead on PC if they don't speed up major updates with specific features. No turn order, no option to choose number of rounds, idk why they're not pushing these "fixes".
Numbers on Steam don't lie. Nearly 22000 sales, 400 playing the game on "peak" hours. The other golf game gets a daily increase in players reaching 2500.
I'm surprised at those numbers - I have to admit I've found a surprising bit of depth in this game the more I've played it (unlike a lot of EA SPORTS titles), and I've been enjoying it. I wish it was much, much more punishing off the tee, but I've warmed to it quite a bit.

Re: turn order... I have a really horrible feeling it's something that won't be a case of a quick patch to fix it, but rather something that will need a heavy code rewrite to accomodate. (However, until they do, online play is genuinely a no-go for me because it's the most boring experience imaginable.)

What makes me say that is, for example - you can't have multiple human players play each other on the same console/machine. You can create four golfers, but when you select one, you "log in" as them, and the other golfers are unavailable (even though your experience can be shared amongst them).

It's an incredibly weird way to do things, and it means I can't play a round in couch co-op with my friends. Frankly, and I don't say this lightly, it's one of the most mind-bogglingly stupid design decisions I've ever seen - to completely screw up something that's been possible with every other golf game ever up to this point, whatever their logic may be.

But the fact that it's coded this way, and that even watching your online friend finish off their round locks you to the most bizarre dev-mode camera hovering a mile above the green, makes me think the core of the multiplayer code might be a bit of a mess.

I'm surprised at those numbers - I have to admit I've found a surprising bit of depth in this game the more I've played it (unlike a lot of EA SPORTS titles), and I've been enjoying it. I wish it was much, much more punishing off the tee, but I've warmed to it quite a bit.

Re: turn order... I have a really horrible feeling it's something that won't be a case of a quick patch to fix it, but rather something that will need a heavy code rewrite to accomodate. (However, until they do, online play is genuinely a no-go for me because it's the most boring experience imaginable.)

What makes me say that is, for example - you can't have multiple human players play each other on the same console/machine. You can create four golfers, but when you select one, you "log in" as them, and the other golfers are unavailable (even though your experience can be shared amongst them).

It's an incredibly weird way to do things, and it means I can't play a round in couch co-op with my friends. Frankly, and I don't say this lightly, it's one of the most mind-bogglingly stupid design decisions I've ever seen - to completely screw up something that's been possible with every other golf game ever up to this point, whatever their logic may be.

But the fact that it's coded this way, and that even watching your online friend finish off their round locks you to the most bizarre dev-mode camera hovering a mile above the green, makes me think the core of the multiplayer code might be a bit of a mess.
Unfortunately these numbers are true. If EA won't react quick enough the game will be dead by July. It's bonkers. There's so much potential and this company manages all the time to bottle it. My opinion is that they have 20yrs old devs and management are forcing these decisions on them in every single release.

Those numbers are for Steam. I think they sell most of their games on EA Play.

Yeah I tried Turkey but struggling to pay with my Wise card or Paypal but I'll try tomorrow with Revolut, thanks :)

So I ended up trying about 10 payment methods, Wise virtual cards (4), Wise physical card, Santander UK physical card, Nordea Sweden physical card, Paypal Sweden, Paypal Sweden other account, Revolut virtual cards and none worked, tried for days and then gave up mid April, tried again yesterday and today and nothing worked. In the end I had to buy 7 x 15EUR gift cards (at 13.55EUR each) and redeemed them one by one until I had 105 EUR on the balance then it cost 99 EUR for a year, apparently Sweden isn't in Europe so I had to do it via France, shame as 999kr would have been 85 EUR.

So is the Deluxe edition just extra points to spend on your golfers attire?

Tried a few games of match play today after the update, it was fun but it only took two games to be matched up against the number one on the leaderboards. Something tells me most people have in fact stopped playing this.

@fear Did you ever come back to this game?

I still, a long time after release, can't decide if I love it or hate it...

I find myself struggling and not really understanding why - I don't see how it's possible to stop a ball on the green, on the sim settings, unless you have a fairway running up to the green that you can bounce the ball off of first...

Yet I keep coming back to it, because it makes 2K feel a little too - not "easy" (because it's absolutely not), but, slightly too formulaic (in terms of consistency of shots)...

@Matt10 Do you still play this?

@fear Did you ever come back to this game?

I still, a long time after release, can't decide if I love it or hate it...

I find myself struggling and not really understanding why - I don't see how it's possible to stop a ball on the green, on the sim settings, unless you have a fairway running up to the green that you can bounce the ball off of first...

Yet I keep coming back to it, because it makes 2K feel a little too - not "easy" (because it's absolutely not), but, slightly too formulaic (in terms of consistency of shots)...

@Matt10 Do you still play this?
I abandoned the EA game. The 2K one is better for me, I even prefer the graphics style more. Career mode might be lacking but having hundreds of custom built courses is great for me.

I have to admit, now that this game has been patched solidly for a year (and added "turn order" online, AT LAST), and now that I've given it a real chance... I think this is probably the best golf game I've ever played.

I have to think about strategy in a way I simply don't have to in any other game, because in most other games there's always a flop-shot-type option that will land you on (or close to) the hole every time.

Here, you have to run the ball up to certain greens (as you would have to in real life) - and although you can use the shot types to make your life easier, you can't simply do the old video-game-golf formula of "add backspin and it'll stop like magic".

So often I'm forced into a certain approach, and the commentary will remark that, on this course/hole, that's what everyone has to do (and detail exactly why) - which then makes you realise, holy shit, the game made me do what I would have had to do in real-life.

The physics side of things is far deeper than just "uphill add a club, downhill go down a club". You have to take so much more into account because sticky greens are hard to find, except for the very easiest courses. On top of that, when you use a marked ball so you can see the spin on the ball more easily, you realise just how accurate the model is.

Playing on "sim" swing and "sim" putting (but with the "tour" green grid and wind direction/speed), I'm having such a good time in career mode as I learn how to approach each course - which truly play so uniquely, it adds real depth to your shot choices.

I'm not shanking shots off the course entirely like I would in the 2K games, which I would like a bit more of - but I'm still shanking them enough that I end up in hazards that make life miserable.

Add to that the player attributes system, being able to pair up with AI players and challenge yourself against them during each round* as well as against the whole field, an amateur tour before you reach the PGA Tour and how nice the graphics are... It's right up there for me. I'm in love with this game right now.

*Excluding the amateur tour, and limited to the handful of licensed players only, which is one of my biggest issues!

I'd love it if I could play on the European tour as well, not just the American one - but you can't have everything...

Last edited:
Just been added to the Game Pass now. I'll give it a try this evening. Any chance to have some kind of Evo-Web Tour? I know we had some issues with the 2k game.

Just been added to the Game Pass now. I'll give it a try this evening. Any chance to have some kind of Evo-Web Tour? I know we had some issues with the 2k game.
I don't think the interest would be there for a commitment sadly, but I'd love to play a few games on Tour difficulty (or even Sim - I prefer the swing/putting difficulty on Sim, but hate that you can't have a green grid).

Are you on Xbox? There's no crossplay sadly. If you are, add me to your friends list and let's play one night - my gamertag is UK Jack Bauer.

No crossplay in EA game? Wow, didn't even think about that.

And I thought that the magic of golf games "multiplayer" is that you do not need to play together. You just set some timeslot (weekend, week, whatever) in which you need to finish 2-3 rounds and then you wait for others to finish :)

No crossplay in EA game? Wow, didn't even think about that.

And I thought that the magic of golf games "multiplayer" is that you do not need to play together. You just set some timeslot (weekend, week, whatever) in which you need to finish 2-3 rounds and then you wait for others to finish :)
Yeah, unfortunately neither of those things are in this game... We could manually post our scorecards in here I guess, but everyone would be using their own settings, weather conditions etc... It would be a bit of a mess (and we're the only two interested anyway)...

Yeah, unfortunately neither of those things are in this game... We could manually post our scorecards in here I guess, but everyone would be using their own settings, weather conditions etc... It would be a bit of a mess (and we're the only two interested anyway)...
That's really a shame. Would be nice to have some kind of community like that. Maybe in some other game in future :)

I don't think the interest would be there for a commitment sadly, but I'd love to play a few games on Tour difficulty (or even Sim - I prefer the swing/putting difficulty on Sim, but hate that you can't have a green grid).

Are you on Xbox? There's no crossplay sadly. If you are, add me to your friends list and let's play one night - my gamertag is UK Jack Bauer.
I'm on Xbox, I'd be up for this. Actually I just started playing Links 2003. You guys must have played it? I never did, but it's really great. Just feels so mature, serious and sim like.

We can all play that using LAN and Gameranger app.

Back
Top Bottom