FIFA 23 Nintendo Switch

After the release of No Mans Sky i am really thinking about buying a switch...and i like what i am reading here.

The vids seem a bit fast for my taste. Did anyone fool around with sliders to reduce the overall pace?

My son's got FIFA 21 & 22 for his Switch so I've played plenty of these games and I can thoroughly endorse them. In some ways they are better than the 'next-gen' offerings. There's a tried-and-tested solidity to these 'legacy' editions of FIFA with less of the bullshit that blights FIFA 23 (my son also has that on his Xbox). Even the visuals aren't too bad when playing on a big TV, considering the low specs of the Switch.

Why the Switch versions of FIFA review so poorly is beyond me. These games are decent.

My son's got FIFA 21 & 22 for his Switch so I've played plenty of these games and I can thoroughly endorse them. In some ways they are better than the 'next-gen' offerings. There's a tried-and-tested solidity to these 'legacy' editions of FIFA with less of the bullshit that blights FIFA 23 (my son also has that on his Xbox). Even the visuals aren't too bad when playing on a big TV, considering the low specs of the Switch.

Why the Switch versions of FIFA review so poorly is beyond me. These games are decent.
Because the reviewers don't really know anything about football or the fundamentals you'd know and love in good football games and all they care about is features. And because the Switch versions don't actually implement any new features, then it's judgement by default, even if it does offer a more stimulating experience than it's sexier yet vapid next gen counterpart.

I ain't familiar with the Switch, but i found some in discount... I was about to brought one in "destock-occasion" store. Not for Fifa especially, but tons of nintendo exclusive, as a Mario Kart old fan.

-The only thing i saw is the controller/screen (portable). I remember there was a support above the tv at my friend house : is that something apart to play on TV (that's what's interest me) or perhaps it was something else
-Is the "Lite" version, except the smaller screen, got exactly the same capacities? I suppose "yes" but ain't sure

and O.T.
There's were PSVita too. And some 2D DS... But i much more interested by the 3DS for the effect, but it's super rare to found. We talked about it in retro place. I wanted a 3DS XL (or XXL). PSP only if it's super cheap and the screen is not too much attacked by a cat as it's easy to jailbreak.

There's many PS2 but with better graphisms (between PS2 and PS3) on 2DS and 3DS, except the 2014 only in Japanese. And i tried in 3D many game included one PES i loved the "not exactly 3D" but cool old holographic effect, like the small card we got in the 90's and before.
Real 3D helmet, i tried but it's... Scary, i can't stand it every day, i trough i was in Disneyworld Cinema.

I would like some actual games with simple glasses and holographic image... But it's probably "too retro".

this is not totally true anymore than the switch version uses fifagen4
the same engine as fifa 19 ps4
only that the option is not activated. ea has simply restricted the skills of the game. it is enough simply to exchange the attribdbgameplay files of fifa switch with that of fifa 19; fifa 20 or fifa 21 which are countable.
also if anyone has the fifa 23 attribdbgameplay version please share it if i am looking for it for a mod.

this is not totally true anymore than the switch version uses fifagen4
the same engine as fifa 19 ps4
only that the option is not activated. ea has simply restricted the skills of the game. it is enough simply to exchange the attribdbgameplay files of fifa switch with that of fifa 19; fifa 20 or fifa 21 which are countable.
also if anyone has the fifa 23 attribdbgameplay version please share it if i am looking for it for a mod.

Switch or PC ?

Is it just me or did they just completely abandon this game mid-season? Didn't even bother to do the January transfers

I just gave a shot to the Switch version with the Yuzu emulator and it is in my opinion the best version hands down, despite the bugs that comes with the emulator (no controlled player cursor, no players shadow, some graphic glitch). It feels like a mix between FIFA14 and 16 with a more modern representation of the game on the pitch.

Here is a short video I am uploading:

I just gave a shot to the Switch version with the Yuzu emulator and it is in my opinion the best version hands down, despite the bugs that comes with the emulator (no controlled player cursor, no players shadow, some graphic glitch). It feels like a mix between FIFA14 and 16 with a more modern representation of the game on the pitch.

Yeah its very good. Such a shame about the graphical bugs. I tried messaging the Yuzu developers on Discord but they made it clear that its not a priority as its A - a sports game, B - a yearly entry and C - apparently just a rubbish EA cash grab port of a previous gen version which while technically true actually weirdly makes it one of the best versions haha. Oh well fingers crossed they or the Ryujinx devs eventually fix the bugs with it one day soon!

The Switch version is great. No 1v1!

(Moved all of the Switch posts from the PC thread to the Switch thread, prepare to be confused. :D)

I really struggle to enjoy the Switch version because of the controls - I have the Switch Lite and something about the stick/button form factor feels cramped and awkward to me.

I've been tempted to upgrade to the Switch OLED in order to connect to a TV and/or use a controller, but 1) I don't have any free HDMI ports in the TV because I've got that many consoles hooked up to it already, and 2) I don't think the detachable controllers look that much more comfortable...

...and I already find the Switch too wide to be comfortable beyond 30 minutes of play anyway (with something like a Game Boy, the arms are in a more natural position, but with a Switch they're further apart and I find it difficult to maintain that position without my arms aching like mad).

Perhaps I'm just too old...

(Moved all of the Switch posts from the PC thread to the Switch thread, prepare to be confused. :D)

I really struggle to enjoy the Switch version because of the controls - I have the Switch Lite and something about the stick/button form factor feels cramped and awkward to me.

I've been tempted to upgrade to the Switch OLED in order to connect to a TV and/or use a controller, but 1) I don't have any free HDMI ports in the TV because I've got that many consoles hooked up to it already, and 2) I don't think the detachable controllers look that much more comfortable...

...and I already find the Switch too wide to be comfortable beyond 30 minutes of play anyway (with something like a Game Boy, the arms are in a more natural position, but with a Switch they're further apart and I find it difficult to maintain that position without my arms aching like mad).

Perhaps I'm just too old...
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is the way to go Chris....All the way....A little bit pricey, at least for Greek market standards, but worths the money all the way. It's durable, ergonomic, and the battery life is the best i've seen, in rechargable controllers ever.

Well i don't know to be honest, if LITE is comfortable with controller. If it can connect, i assume you must find a life hach to let the LITE standing somewhere.

Also, when i'm playing in my bed, portable, i usually switch to assisted passing, in order to fight the soft sticks.

I think they are still present in both, but I haven’t tried Ryujinx for 3/4 months so not 100% sure about that one.

Thanks! Tried it. It seems there's some good stuff there, but at least what I ran it felt very buggy (plus the shadows, colors and no player indicator made it look pretty bad). Could be my Yuzu or my settings or just thats the way it is. Hope they can figure it out as there might be something fun there

Is the game that bad graphically on the Switch or is it just emulator issues?

It looks like a Xbox 360 game at times!

Is the game that bad graphically on the Switch or is it just emulator issues?

It looks like a Xbox 360 game at times!
Well it is based on the PS3/360 legacy code, the Switch isn't very powerful anyway so ouldn't handle anything much more advanced. Zelda on it is a techilogival marvel but it also relies on the cel shading to mask the lack of actual graphical fidelity there really is. It's quite a clever workaround to make it an intentional part of it's art direction but i digress.

But thank god for this legacy port. It preserves the old fundementals of football FIFA perfected once upon a time, just a shame this is the only incarnation of an offical modern FIFA, hidden away on a throwaway version. It's accidentally a treasure of an afterthought.

But I agree with Chris, it's a shame a consequence of the downgrade is the less sophisticated controls and Yuzu is the only way of preserving the possibility of a high quality version but it's not accurately emulated unfortunately and if history has ever taught us anything, the Switch versions never will be emulated correctly.

It is the same case for PES 2008-2014 from PS2 or Wii even. People always disregard them as PES 6 clones/cash grabs but whenever I boot them up I always find something interesting that surprises me. There are many things added and improved (new animations - especially for goalkeepers, new goalnets physics, stadiums never seen in any other platforms, i.e. Artemio Franchi) but the gameplay itself is tweaked and polished and each version feels different and unique in a way. They are also great for assets mining :P Things like new stadiums, body models, kits and faces every year are ported to FIFA 14/16 and keep them alive for another year. But the cycle is coming to an inevitable end when Frostbite completely takes over.

The emulated version of this game is nowhere near playable because of all the bugs.
It saddens me tremendously, because it feels like a more balanced grounded version of FIFA 16 with also more CPU team identity (which is the biggest FIFA 16 let down in I'm opinion) but also more CPU player identity (second biggest let down from 16 for me).
I feel like I had glance of the best combination of physics and AI to date, while I am stuck without a proper footy game to play. 16 despite is greatness, feels close to a dead horse to me now and pes21 feels too limited in terms of possible outcomes.

Last edited:

I feel it is like a FIFA 16 2.0, or what FIFA 17 would has been without the engine swap. I love the added movements and animations, specially new shooting.
I regret trying it, because the current bugs make it not enjoyable at all, and now I know there's a better FIFA 16 somewhere else. At the point I haven't played FIFA 16 in the last 4 months. :SHOCK: :BRICK:

A couple of months ago, I randomly met one of the developers that works in Yuzu team. We recorded many videos, tested different versions and settings combinations, and made several attempts to help the main developers debug the issues the emulator has in this game in particular. Unfortunately, no luck at the moment.

Also, with other guy we tried porting the gameplay files from 23 Switch version to FIFA 16 PC. But as someone said before, diving deep into the files we realized they're totally different games, because 23 Switch is based on PS3 / Xbox 360 FIFA 16. So no luck neither.

My last hope is on Yuzu / Ryujinx teams (the other Switch emulator), discovering settings for other games that would ease fixes for FIFA series.

The emulated version of this game is nowhere near playable because of all the bugs.
It saddens me tremendously, because it feels like a more balanced grounded version of FIFA 16 with also more CPU team identity (which is the biggest FIFA 16 let down in I'm opinion) but also more CPU player identity (second biggest let down from 16 for me).
I feel like I had glance of the best combination of physics and AI to date, while I am stuck without a proper footy game to play. 16 despite is greatness, feels close to a dead horse to me now and pes21 feels too limited in terms of possible outcomes.
so to play it properly you should buy a nintendo switch? right?

so to play it properly you should buy a nintendo switch? right?

For now yes. But is really not my intention.
I have used yuzu to dump the game files and access the attribdbgameplay files and also the fifacamera.dat.
I have tried to use them in FIFA16 but I am getting similar result than with FIFA15 files. It is impossible to shoot. Also I am not convinced that it changes anything else to the gameplay. The camera files might do something I am not sure yet.

For now yes. But is really not my intention.
I have used yuzu to dump the game files and access the attribdbgameplay files and also the fifacamera.dat.
I have tried to use them in FIFA16 but I am getting similar result than with FIFA15 files. It is impossible to shoot. Also I am not convinced that it changes anything else to the gameplay. The camera files might do something I am not sure yet.
Hey, can you upload this attribdbgameplay files please? I would like to try this with PS3 FIFA 16 (RPCS3 emulator)

This is so much better than FIFA on next gen it’s not even funny.

It’s actually the best football game around at the moment which feels like such a strange thing to say.

Just good fun. Graphics aren’t as bad as I thought they would be either - looks nice on the switch oled.

Back
Top Bottom