Football Manager 2022 [PC/XBS]

5 way title with 30 games gone..

title.png

5 way title with 30 games gone..

title.png
I really don't know how you do it, unless you download all the best tactics and/or training regimes and/or buy wonderkids.

I don't think I've been sacked on Football Manager before, but I went from winning 10 in a row (before the patch that toned down headed goals from corners), to losing six in a row and getting sacked - as Chester down in the Conference North. I was shocked.

Every single one of those six losses, we had higher xG but barely scored. Several chances in the box each game, 0-1 goals each time, while the opposition scored 2 minimum. I felt like the patch just absolutely broke my game.

So I'm starting again today - not sure who to terrorise this time...

I really don't know how you do it, unless you download all the best tactics and/or training regimes and/or buy wonderkids.

I don't think I've been sacked on Football Manager before, but I went from winning 10 in a row (before the patch that toned down headed goals from corners), to losing six in a row and getting sacked - as Chester down in the Conference North. I was shocked.

Every single one of those six losses, we had higher xG but barely scored. Several chances in the box each game, 0-1 goals each time, while the opposition scored 2 minimum. I felt like the patch just absolutely broke my game.

So I'm starting again today - not sure who to terrorise this time...

It gets much more difficult the higher up the divisions you go.
Getting up the first few divisions to the Championship, is normally pretty straight forward.
You just need to go to the U23 youth teams of Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and then try your luck on loaning as many players as you can in the positions you need to improve - As most players in the U23 teams will have better potential and most probably the most likely a better current ability too - L2/L1 players really aren't that good.

Once your in the Championship, then I try and re-sign loan players who were incredible and then mix it with players who have been released by Premiership teams, so you can sometimes get some above average released 19-22 yo players.

Then once in the Prem, I sign released players so you can get average players like Troussad joining you, they are not amazing but good enough to keep you in the Prem.
By this time as well you should also have 2/3 scouts who are rated very highly 17+ for judging player potential and current ability - At this stage you can now fully trust your scouts when they have an idea of how good a signing would be and at this time you can start looking around for potential future wonderkids.
Playing some of these kids with a mixture of the older players when your established in the Premier League, you can really then start working on improving up the league + as the game goes on, year by year, I find that the computer gets weaker, it does not sign young players and doesn't take gambles, therefore any potential decent kids are never snapped up by the AI.

As for tactics, as stated in the past I semi cheat on this, as I run quite a few holiday games before I start playing to find out what over achieves.
Then when you start playing you have a very good base of what tactics will work well, and with some tweaking depending on the players you have and the division your in, you can very much over achieve.
I know this is kind of cheating, but I don't really have time to waste playing lots of seasons to which tactics work - I probably run about 20 seasons of holiday games, which I know realistically IRL just wouldn't work for me and therefore would struggle quite a lot.

Logo Graphics Updates:-

There is multiple different logo graphics which are now available therefore, I have uploaded them all to OneDrive.

Metallic Logos:-
metallic_logos.png

Vapour Logos:-
vapour_logos.png

Steel Logos:-
steel_logos.png

Stone Logos:-
stone_logos.png

First I want to thank bsmaff for keeping FM up to date, especially graphically! I was wonder if anybody had scans or pdfs of the old Official Championship Manager magazine and Official Football Manager magazine?

I started a new game on this, unemployed (which I don't usually do). This is after my first save as Chester ended with a sacking before I'd even got to Christmas...

Curzon Ashton are managerless at the start of the game (in the National League North), so I got the job. Holy shit it's difficult. It's unbelievable. No good players are interested in coming, even on loan, and there's no money to sign players. All you can do is sign players on "pay as you play" deals, and the quality of those players is far below the standard that can even keep you in the league.

Not only that, but ~250 people turn up each week, so there will never be any money to spend. In Football Manager world (and maybe real-life), nobody cares about this club (which comes from a Manchester region surrounded by higher-level professional clubs, so it's understandable).

From the start of the season, we went on an 11-game run without a win, rooted to the foot of the table on 2pts. Two of those games were close right up to the 90th minute, when our constant pressing just tired them out too much and a silly goal was conceded at the worst possible time.

Then came AFC Telford. The team second-from-bottom. We were away, but the "tactical cohesion" level had gone from ~40% to ~80% after sticking rigidly to one way of playing and one starting XI for game after game (which introduces complacency, but it's a hit we had to take).

After 20 minutes, I changed the system a little to play the wide midfielders higher, and to press more often than usual, based on the way they were recycling possession and clearly playing for a draw (unlike every other team who set up to batter us, and usually succeed).

We ended up 2-0 at half time, drawing 2-2 after 60 minutes (trying to hold onto a lead seems impossible), and 4-2 winners at full time (including a 93rd minute penalty).

Why am I telling you this? Because I have honestly not felt so much joy in winning a game of anything since I was playing PES as a kid. I was bordering on emotional. I've nearly given up on FM so many times this year, and I've only stayed in the job because the board recognise the hopelessness of the situation (my first year goal was to "fight bravely against relegation", not even to avoid it).

It was an incredible feeling to see the tactical changes make just enough of a difference to tip the balance - and, incredibly, we managed to win the following game against mid-table Darlington 2-0 as well.

It feels like absolute magic to me - that a game can make me feel so good about being in 20th place (out of 22), in the worst league in the game.

I really do think that this is something I should try on FM, a guy at work does this as well start unemployed and see where it takes you.
He is currently manager of Hertford Heath.

It does seem so much of a challenge down there rather than working your way up from L2 where you can still improve year on year.

BTW I really dislike Cousin Ashton.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7700353.stm

I really do think that this is something I should try on FM, a guy at work does this as well start unemployed and see where it takes you.
He is currently manager of Hertford Heath.

It does seem so much of a challenge down there rather than working your way up from L2 where you can still improve year on year.
I usually start as Chester (the most local team in the lowest playable division) and it's tough, but players have had enough standout attributes to build a winning team and - as you say - (up until now) you could sign youngsters on loan from the big leagues and elderly free agents who have amazing attributes other than the physical ones.

However, in FM22, it's totally different. The youngsters have no interest in joining at the National League North/South level any more, attributes seem to be much worse (with precious little difference between all your players and very few who have attributes over a maximum of 12/20), and signing players outside of your own league seems much more difficult (in terms of their motivation to join, and financially).

I've not been able to find a tactic that always works because of the quality of the players (direct football is recommended but all that happens is we kick possession away 9 times out of 10, but try and keep possession and you are almost guaranteed to never create shooting opportunities) - and because the teams are all part-time at this level, training makes barely any difference. You have to focus on the absolute basics (physicality and cohesion) and hope for the best.

I'd say it's much more realistic (before I'd even applied any of the Daveincid Realism Megapack, which I highly recommend). Hard as nails, and absolute hell at times. But if you start at a club who aren't expecting to achieve anything, you're given time to establish yourself, and every victory means absoutely everything to your survival. I love it.

I usually start as Chester (the most local team in the lowest playable division) and it's tough, but players have had enough standout attributes to build a winning team and - as you say - (up until now) you could sign youngsters on loan from the big leagues and elderly free agents who have amazing attributes other than the physical ones.

However, in FM22, it's totally different. The youngsters have no interest in joining at the National League North/South level any more, attributes seem to be much worse (with precious little difference between all your players and very few who have attributes over a maximum of 12/20), and signing players outside of your own league seems much more difficult (in terms of their motivation to join, and financially).

I've not been able to find a tactic that always works because of the quality of the players (direct football is recommended but all that happens is we kick possession away 9 times out of 10, but try and keep possession and you are almost guaranteed to never create shooting opportunities) - and because the teams are all part-time at this level, training makes barely any difference. You have to focus on the absolute basics (physicality and cohesion) and hope for the best.

I'd say it's much more realistic (before I'd even applied any of the Daveincid Realism Megapack, which I highly recommend). Hard as nails, and absolute hell at times. But if you start at a club who aren't expecting to achieve anything, you're given time to establish yourself, and every victory means absoutely everything to your survival. I love it.
Hiya mate will it work with this what i am using really interested in giving the realism megapack a go thank you

Hiya mate will it work with this what i am using really interested in giving the realism megapack a go thank you
Not sure what you mean by "this" sorry, but if you mean graphics packs etc. (the stuff @bsmaff so kindly compiles for us here) then yes - all works perfectly for me.

The only issue I have is that there's a Scottish kits FMF file that doesn't work (the game states it was built in an older version of the editor) - but it does no harm. The kits still work, it's just that the colours of some of the Scottish clubs will be slightly off.

Not sure what you mean by "this" sorry, but if you mean graphics packs etc. (the stuff @bsmaff so kindly compiles for us here) then yes - all works perfectly for me.

The only issue I have is that there's a Scottish kits FMF file that doesn't work (the game states it was built in an older version of the editor) - but it does no harm. The kits still work, it's just that the colours of some of the Scottish clubs will be slightly off.
Thanks for the reply mate will give it a try

February Update - Includes January Transfer Update:-

Data Update - 01/02/22 - Includes transfer deadline transfers
Faces - Updated to 2022.06
Metallic Logos - Updated to 2022_v3

I will upload another Data Update on Friday, just incase any transfers were missed in the current file.
Hi mate, I have a question about the faces.

Do I need all the update files or only the latest one, if I only have the complete file?

And thousand thanks to you. :BEER:

Hi mate, I have a question about the faces.

Do I need all the update files or only the latest one, if I only have the complete file?

And thousand thanks to you. :BEER:

You need to install the complete pack first..
Then you install the updates in order.

TBH, I install the main complete pack and have never updated the game after that.

You need to install the complete pack first..
Then you install the updates in order.

TBH, I install the main complete pack and have never updated the game after that.
Thanks bro, I will download the others then.

March Update:-

No Data Update this month - With the January Transfer Patch now available - The data update has been discontinued for a few weeks.

Kits - Updated to 1st March 2022 - Not worth the download if you got already, hardly anything new.
Faces - Updated to v7
Metallic Logos - Updated to v3
Steel Logos - Updated to v2
Stone Logos - Updated to v2
Vapour Logos - Updated to v2
Backgrounds - Uploaded and updated to v3

I've said it before, but, I love you for doing this @bsmaff - thank you.

Back on FM after months of trying to swallow FIFA/PES. Though as soon as I loaded my save, I remembered why I stopped... Second from bottom with absolutely no joy in improving the situation, despite reading 10 blog posts about how to get the best out of non-league players. This time... I will do it.

April Update:-

Kits - Have not been updated this month, as there is nothing new.
Backgrounds - Updated to 2022.05 (So 2 updated this month)
Faces - Updated to 2022.08
Metallic Logos - Updated to 2022.04
Steel Logos - Updated to 2022.03
Stone Logos - Updated to 2022.03
Vapour Logos - Updated to 2022.03

There is no Data Update as SI completed their final Winter Update about a week ago.

EVO-WEB FM World Cup - 2022

As stated at the beginning of the season, I stated this year we could try and arrange a FM World Cup.

There are 2 ways to do this:-
1. The game will be accelerated until the day the 2022 WC Squads are to be picked, therefore everyone will get the opportunity to pick their own WC squads.
This tournament will be played over 2/3 evenings where 1 evening the players select their squads then we all continue the game until the start of the tournament.

2. The game is accelerated until the date of the 1st game and everyone just get the squad picked by the AI.
This is the quicker way to do the tournament and the game can be played over 1/2 nights for group and knockout games.

This is a taster to see if anyone would be interested in this.
How we pick teams and everything can be decided by either selecting your team on a first serve basis - Or we use a randomiser to determine the team you are selected.

Please just comment and say whether you would be interested.
You can also invite friends if you like to boost numbers.

As stated at the beginning of the season, I stated this year we could try and arrange a FM World Cup.

1. The game will be accelerated until the day the 2022 WC Squads are to be picked, therefore everyone will get the opportunity to pick their own WC squads.
This tournament will be played over 2/3 evenings where 1 evening the players select their squads then we all continue the game until the start of the tournament.

2. The game is accelerated until the date of the 1st game and everyone just get the squad picked by the AI.
This is the quicker way to do the tournament and the game can be played over 1/2 nights for group and knockout games.

How we pick teams and everything can be decided by either selecting your team on a first serve basis - Or we use a randomiser to determine the team you are selected.

I would absolutely bloody love this. Please put my name down, however you choose to organise it. Random teams works for me!

I don't play fm regularly nowadays, but a few years ago there was a mod to start the season at a custom date.

This way it would be possible to start in the end of the first season and the players stats would be similar to reality.

I don't know if it's still possible.

May Update:-

Kits - Quite a big update to Kits this month - So probably worth a download just for the Nation kits
Backgrounds - Updated to 2022.06
Faces - Updated to 2022.09
Metallic Logos - Updated to 2022.05
Steel Logos - Updated to 2022.04
Stone Logos - Updated to 2022.04
Vapour Logos - Updated to 2022.04

I have decided there will be no further updates to the Kit files.
These will be updated again in August when the new season kits start becoming available.

Last edited:
Due to lack of interest the WC does not appear to be happening this year.

However Chris, if you are interested..
I have a couple of mates who would be up for doing a WC, so PM me if you and anyone you know would be interested in doing this.

Back
Top Bottom