Gran Turismo 7 [PS5]

Screenshot 2022-03-02 113839.jpg
I would really like to try this, if only to see (or rather, feel) how they have implemented the haptic feedback.

IGN only gave it a 9, which is worrying..
Any Sony game on IGN is always guaranteed a 10 no matter what game it is, so really shocked they gave it a 9.

IGN only gave it a 9, which is worrying..
Any Sony game on IGN is always guaranteed a 10 no matter what game it is, so really shocked they gave it a 9.
I mean it has been a while since it came out, but... Horizon Forbidden West "only" got a 9.

And this just changed my decision and I guess I'm not buying this one:
"For all its positives, Gran Turismo 7 is not perfect. While the game marks the triumphant return to the classic, single-player gameplay experience that made the series famous, it stumbles when it comes to the actual racing itself.
The computer-controlled cars — I hesitate to use the term “artificial intelligence” here — are shockingly bad drivers. Even on the most difficult opponent settings, they are laughably slow and downright hazardous to drive against.
Most of the races consist of rolling starts, with you starting all the way at the back of the field. Your task, then, is not really to race against the other cars, but simply to pass them all before you run out of laps. This has been unfortunately typical in Gran Turismo games for quite some time now, but the implementation in GT7 is somehow more egregious and frustrating than ever. For such a highly polished and otherwise brilliantly executed game, this awkward gameplay mechanic stands out.
The problem is exaggerated by the fact that Gran Turismo 7’s main characters are essentially the cars themselves, many of which you will first be exposed to as opponents in these opening races. It is strange, then, and somewhat embarrassing to see a car sputtering around the track, right after you have just been told about its impressive performance characteristics. If the car is so good, why is it struggling to pass another car thirty or forty years its senior? The whole situation creates a sort of awkward disconnect between what the game is telling you versus what it’s actually showing you."

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-7-review-return-of-the-king/

It's shocking how in 2022 they can't still implement even a decent AI system. In games like ACC we have AI aggression options etc.

Reading the reviews they have all pretty much said the game is an evolution of GT Sport in regards to the actual gameplay.
And the game has always been designed to be a PS4 title with additional bits for PS5.

Disappointed that Ray Tracing is not available in the actual game and is only used in the showroom and replays.

And this just changed my decision and I guess I'm not buying this one:
"For all its positives, Gran Turismo 7 is not perfect. While the game marks the triumphant return to the classic, single-player gameplay experience that made the series famous, it stumbles when it comes to the actual racing itself.
The computer-controlled cars — I hesitate to use the term “artificial intelligence” here — are shockingly bad drivers. Even on the most difficult opponent settings, they are laughably slow and downright hazardous to drive against.
Most of the races consist of rolling starts, with you starting all the way at the back of the field. Your task, then, is not really to race against the other cars, but simply to pass them all before you run out of laps. This has been unfortunately typical in Gran Turismo games for quite some time now, but the implementation in GT7 is somehow more egregious and frustrating than ever. For such a highly polished and otherwise brilliantly executed game, this awkward gameplay mechanic stands out.
The problem is exaggerated by the fact that Gran Turismo 7’s main characters are essentially the cars themselves, many of which you will first be exposed to as opponents in these opening races. It is strange, then, and somewhat embarrassing to see a car sputtering around the track, right after you have just been told about its impressive performance characteristics. If the car is so good, why is it struggling to pass another car thirty or forty years its senior? The whole situation creates a sort of awkward disconnect between what the game is telling you versus what it’s actually showing you."

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-7-review-return-of-the-king/

It's shocking how in 2022 they can't still implement even a decent AI system. In games like ACC we have AI aggression options etc.
It is not in the game yet. Sophy AI will be released later.

It is not in the game yet. Sophy AI will be released later.
That's what they said and if they patch it later it will be only on PS5. This is no excuse though of not having an AI at all and play catch the carrot with rolling starts almost in the whole single player campaign of the game.

Well not really got into the game as yet.
You have to watch a well boring video you can’t skip at the beginning, followed by the most boring and demoralising tutorial I think I have ever played in a game.

So after about 30 mins, I had to turn it off as never been so bored in all my life, and yes I have seen The Last Jedi.

I've seen lots of Xbox fanboys (and I much prefer the XSX to the PS5 myself) slamming the graphics, posting chase-cam footage where everything looks fairly simplistic and dull - and these posts get loads of traction from trolls.

I said even before release that I thought the track graphics look fairly bad in places. I haven't changed my mind - no doubt, the graphics in Forza Horizon are 10x better.

However, I think the gameplay is superb. The feel of each car, the physics, controller feedback (which is a game-changer for me), and progression feeling a bit like Pokémon... Not just "collect 'em all" but in terms of bite-size "battles" that slowly but surely rank you up and get you better at the game.

For me, Forza Horizon is a "hold RT" simulator. I want to love it, but I don't. I find it boring as hell, partly because it's trying so hard not to be boring with all of its crazy collectables and "woah rad drifting dude" voiceovers - and partly because it's trying so hard to be accessible.

What I wanted, GT7 does - but I think it does take a certain mindset. I love the license tests, for example. They're challenging, frustrating, so satisfying to complete and don't require your car to be dropped out of a plane. It's "good"-boring (like Football Manager), and I love it.

I have not seen the GFX of Forza, but GT7 certainly doesn't blow away.
It looks pretty good, but it is good they disabled RT in the actual game to get it up to 60FPS.

Yes some of the track textures around the track aren't the best and they have clearly lowered this to make the cars look as good as possible and run at a native 4K instead of adaptive resolution which all games on console are doing these days.

Personally I think it looks really good considering the limitations of the hardware.

My main problem with it, is the actual gameplay and how boring the tutorial is.
The game is using the same engine as GT Sport and you can tell as the game plays the same.

I am sure once I get past all the boring mundane stuff at the beginning, I will start enjoying the game.
But there is no doubts this is PS4 game and PS4 engine, with some graphical improvements done for the PS5.

I've seen lots of Xbox fanboys (and I much prefer the XSX to the PS5 myself) slamming the graphics, posting chase-cam footage where everything looks fairly simplistic and dull - and these posts get loads of traction from trolls.

I said even before release that I thought the track graphics look fairly bad in places. I haven't changed my mind - no doubt, the graphics in Forza Horizon are 10x better.

However, I think the gameplay is superb. The feel of each car, the physics, controller feedback (which is a game-changer for me), and progression feeling a bit like Pokémon... Not just "collect 'em all" but in terms of bite-size "battles" that slowly but surely rank you up and get you better at the game.

For me, Forza Horizon is a "hold RT" simulator. I want to love it, but I don't. I find it boring as hell, partly because it's trying so hard not to be boring with all of its crazy collectables and "woah rad drifting dude" voiceovers - and partly because it's trying so hard to be accessible.

What I wanted, GT7 does - but I think it does take a certain mindset. I love the license tests, for example. They're challenging, frustrating, so satisfying to complete and don't require your car to be dropped out of a plane. It's "good"-boring (like Football Manager), and I love it.
FH is just a fun arcade racer.
How's the AI in GT7 eventually? Is there at least a challenge when you set up custom races? I'm not that interested in MP, I don't have time for destruction derbies without visible damage. 😜

FH is just a fun arcade racer.
How's the AI in GT7 eventually? Is there at least a challenge when you set up custom races? I'm not that interested in MP, I don't have time for destruction derbies without visible damage. 😜
I've not seen much race customisation, but to be fair I'm not looking for it. Just loving the experience of entering the cups and tournaments in a car with the power rating they recommend.

The AI is a bit rubbish - most of the fun I'm getting is racing against the clock. The Music Rally thing is INCREDIBLY difficult to get all golds on (or maybe it's just me)... But yeah, when I have played the AI, I've usually steamed past them all in lap one up to the car in first place, and then into first place in lap two. But I'm only just starting out.

The AI seems the same as it's always been. Definitely should be better at this point, but it seems they've put all their AI dev time into Sophy.

What amazes me is how much fear it can induce. I don't know how... But I fear hitting a wall much more in GT than I do in other games, despite the lack of damage. Maybe because I know it cripples your lap time.

This video... I can barely watch. It makes me feel sick!

Like @Chris Davies , i also want at least one realistic racing game, with many cars brand on it like it's always been in GT, totally good to play with a gamepad.
I don't have the place to buy a full seat with wheel and pedals.
It's true that i tried it even some average or old games : it's hard to come back to a classic controller for racing game after having that experience. I don't imagine with a VR stuff or whatever.

But even if i got the place, it's way too expensive : you need to be not "rich" but having enought money to spend and be a racing game fan.
And, i'm not a super racing game fan : i like it like everyone but aint a "fan".
GT is the kind of game you can play with a simple controller without too much issues and feel the game, i didn't brought the 4 and 5, but that one looks way better.
A bit like some FPS can be played without mouse and fit for controllers (such as Destiny or Doom) and you can still +- good as a guy playing keyboard+mouse...

Well, i don't believe you could be as good vs a guy with a 1000 euros seat lol + VR glasses lol, but whatever. I don't really play online since a long time. I will try of course, but won't invest on it like i did with fighting games (Tekken and MK X), figthing sports (UFC, and i will with Esport Boxing Club) others Tennis games such as Ao Tennis or of course some football games when it was enjoyable.

Like @Chris Davies , i also want at least one realistic racing game, with many cars brand on it like it's always been in GT, totally good to play with a gamepad.
I don't have the place to buy a full seat with wheel and pedals.
It's true that i tried it even some average or old games : it's hard to come back to a classic controller for racing game after having that experience. I don't imagine with a VR stuff or whatever.

But even if i got the place, it's way too expensive : you need to be not "rich" but having enought money to spend and be a racing game fan.
And, i'm not a super racing game fan : i like it like everyone but aint a "fan".
GT is the kind of game you can play with a simple controller without too much issues and feel the game, i didn't brought the 4 and 5, but that one looks way better.
A bit like some FPS can be played without mouse and fit for controllers (such as Destiny or Doom) and you can still +- good as a guy playing keyboard+mouse...

Well, i don't believe you could be as good vs a guy with a 1000 euros seat lol + VR glasses lol, but whatever. I don't really play online since a long time. I will try of course, but won't invest on it like i did with fighting games (Tekken and MK X), figthing sports (UFC, and i will with Esport Boxing Club) others Tennis games such as Ao Tennis or of course some football games when it was enjoyable.
Is GT really playable with the controller? Whenever I didn't have time to set up the wheel I tried GT Sport with the controller and it was completely unplayable for me. Using the motion controls though was alright.

More than Assetto Corsa or others "simulation" title yes, to me at least it's more "controller friendly". But if you played before with a wheel, yes you will found it "unplayable". If you start with a controller and analog, it's okay, you can be "competitive".

If we got to buy a Wheel + pedal for every realistic racing games... It's dead for everyone except racing super fan with (lot of) money to spend.

But personnally i'm way more fun racing games. Such as Wipeout, Burnout, Mario Kart etc., but GT could be the exception as i want at last one realistic racing game.

Is GT really playable with the controller? Whenever I didn't have time to set up the wheel I tried GT Sport with the controller and it was completely unplayable for me. Using the motion controls though was alright.

GT7 is playable with a controller, however you are in the same position as me..
You own a wheel and normally play on a wheel, so playing on a controller just feels out right rubbish.

It is not that the game is unplayable, you just can't go back..

Last edited:
GT7 is playing with a controller, however you are in the same position as me..
You own a wheel and normally play on a wheel, so playing on a controller just feels out right rubbish.

It is not that the game is unplayable, you just can't go back..

Exactly and it will be the same even if you replay Sega Rally 95 on PS2 (half arcade, half simulation)

I noticed there's a "motion control" setting - I imagine it's rubbish, but I'm interested to try it out at some point. That would be my ideal solution to not having the space for a wheel...

@vialli82 Have you played the latest Assetto Corsa with a controller? I'm interested in giving it a go, but I feel fairly certain it'll be frustrating with a controller and I don't want to be punished for not having the time or money to buy a steering wheel setup...

I noticed there's a "motion control" setting - I imagine it's rubbish, but I'm interested to try it out at some point. That would be my ideal solution to not having the space for a wheel...

@vialli82 Have you played the latest Assetto Corsa with a controller? I'm interested in giving it a go, but I feel fairly certain it'll be frustrating with a controller and I don't want to be punished for not having the time or money to buy a steering wheel setup...
Yes, at least i tried, it's super hard. It's probably conceived with a wheel and then adapted to a controller.

I don't know if there's a demo or whatever else for you to try but when i was playing all where coming to my head was "if only i could play with a wheel..."
There's some calibrations settings btw. But pretty hard to found your balance.

Edit: It's a game for hardcore racing games fans made by hardcore racing game fans, to me.

Motion controls on GT are the best alternative option to the wheel. It's far more precise than using the analogue stick. It feels like you're holding a small wheel. Give it a try with some assists enabled first.

For sure, i will first play with assists. Then i will decrease them one by one.
If it's too hard... Whatever, back with assist. I'm not searching neither a super hard game, but a realistic / in terms of controls, (again) physics, and more than all > SPEED / racing game.
In terms of speed, yes, the last vids posted by @Chris Davies scared me as the feeling of speed was so, so well represented that after seeing that tweet, i was like a kid "i want it!" lol. With the current gen, it's very impressive and i really want to got that scary feel without even being on the car (just imagine how F1 pilots... They're crazy) while playing, as it's a first to me, at least at this point.

Also cars representation and abilities reproduced perfectly, to feel the difference (that's why i loved Gran Turismo on PSX : i conducted some of the cars who were available) but now it's a bit less important. Just feeling a difference is okay.

Your comparison doesn't make any sense. The equivalent to Gran Turismo would be Forza Motorsport, not Forza Horizon.

Your comparison doesn't make any sense. The equivalent to Gran Turismo would be Forza Motorsport, not Forza Horizon.
People don't seem to regard GT as a sim in any way, given the likes of Assetto Corsa and iRacing appearing in the last decade. So I don't think they're considered to be that different from each other - "two fun car games that aren't sims". I disagree, but that's why I compared the two - because other people are.

I also see both as a mix sim/fun in terms of controls but realistic for all the rest, as racing games (Forza M. and GT)
And Assetto for racing hardcore gamers.

GT isn't a sim guys. I would call it a semi-sim but nowhere near a pure sim physics wise. iRacing is a sim, ACC is nearly there and PC1 was a sim especially in early stages dev builds I was testing back then.

With GoW and HZD coming to PC, what are the chances Sony releases it there too? They could compete with FM8 in that platform. Plus take more advantage of the hardware
Don't know if it's a "system seller" as the ps5 is gonna sell anyway.

Would be nice to see, the game looks great. Somewhere in between a sim and arcade racer, just like F motorsport.

With GoW and HZD coming to PC, what are the chances Sony releases it there too? They could compete with FM8 in that platform. Plus take more advantage of the hardware
Don't know if it's a "system seller" as the ps5 is gonna sell anyway.

Would be nice to see, the game looks great. Somewhere in between a sim and arcade racer, just like F motorsport.
Not a chance. I think Sony is not releasing certain games on PC because of the modding capabilities. This is the reason imo they're also not releasing The Show. PC modders can easily expand this kind of games.
Imagine dozens of mods on GT PC with new tracks, new cars, maybe AI tweaking, this would be a disaster for PD and Sony. The same on The Show, historic rosters with seasons, new players etc. You won't even need to buy a new iteration as the gameplay is nearly perfected, it's baseball after all, pc gamers even play the fully modded MVP 2005 in 2022. I even play the modded Madden 08 more than the last console Madden.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom