Liverpool Thread

And tactically the insistence to stick with a high line in defence, even when our centre back pairing consists of Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips who have done well but are not fast by any means, is extremely confusing. Last season teams could play the game of their lives against us yet we'd still find a way to get the three points. This season, teams just need to sit back and then look for the long ball over the top, guaranteed success pretty much. It doesn't explain why suddenly we can barely create any chances going forwards but I'm sure it plays a part.

I thought he'd do something about playing so open in that way after Villa absolutely tore them apart doing it and if memory serves, Van Dijk was still playing then as well? I'm surprised it took that long really because they were that open last season too but nobody seemed to take them on that way. Maybe in the same way a couple of years ago when teams wouldn't attack Man City when that was really their only weakness, a fact proven against yesterday.

It is a huge failure of the club that we didn't have a centre back signed on the 1st January this year. We knew Van Dijk and Gomez were out for the season weeks before the transfer window opened. Yet we did nothing, and mostly likely if Matip didn't get a season ending injury just before the window closed, we'd probably not have signed anyone on the cheap and somehow be in an even worse situation than we are now.

The two CB signings he did make were real head scratchers for me. Signing a guy from a team bottom of the Bundesliga to play for Liverpool? Then the lad from Preston who can't even appear to get near the team with the three main CB's out, two midfielders preferred there and then Phillips and Williams as well? What exactly was the point of signing him? Knowing nothing about him I had presumed he was a young kid, signed for the future but isn't he 25 or something? Two very strange signings.

I thought he'd do something about playing so open in that way after Villa absolutely tore them apart doing it and if memory serves, Van Dijk was still playing then as well? I'm surprised it took that long really because they were that open last season too but nobody seemed to take them on that way. Maybe in the same way a couple of years ago when teams wouldn't attack Man City when that was really their only weakness, a fact proven against yesterday.

The two CB signings he did make were real head scratchers for me. Signing a guy from a team bottom of the Bundesliga to play for Liverpool? Then the lad from Preston who can't even appear to get near the team with the three main CB's out, two midfielders preferred there and then Phillips and Williams as well? What exactly was the point of signing him? Knowing nothing about him I had presumed he was a young kid, signed for the future but isn't he 25 or something? Two very strange signings.

Yeah we were having defensive issues before losing our 3 senior centre backs to be fair. At the start of the season a high line became our only form of defence for whatever reason. :D I wanted it gone then and sure as hell want it gone now! I know it's not as simple as that but there must be a way to make the opposition have to do more than a few long balls to get a good sight of goal!

The signings our weird, with Ben Davies I've seen murmurs that the plan is to sell him for profit in the summer. Wouldn't be surprised but feel for him if that is the case. Although like all other defenders he has been injured for most of the last 5 weeks or so. Kabak one was strange also, basically came down to finances. We got him on loan for about £2m, with an option, not an obligation to buy in the summer for £18m. This is a young player coming into a team with a defensive crisis on the back of an even worse crisis with Schalke. Apparently Caleta-Car from Marseille was our first choice but we bid for him the last day of the window and Marseille didn't have time to sign a replacement... if only the transfer window was longer than a day eh? :D

Baffling all round this season...

I fear that Liverpool might be headed in the same direction with injuries as last year, but this time with midfielders. Last year people talked about them needing a defender, they didn't bring one in and then the defenders got injured before the end of the year and Liverpool had a really poor run. This year there was talk about Liverpool needing a midfielder, again no midfielder brought in and after Sunday the midfield seems really thin...

Still, 0-5 eh? That's something.

I fear that Liverpool might be headed in the same direction with injuries as last year, but this time with midfielders. Last year people talked about them needing a defender, they didn't bring one in and then the defenders got injured before the end of the year and Liverpool had a really poor run. This year there was talk about Liverpool needing a midfielder, again no midfielder brought in and after Sunday the midfield seems really thin...

Still, 0-5 eh? That's something.
Yeah it does look like that but I assume them getting Harvey Elliott back from loan was kind of seen as a "signing" but then he got injured as well.

Sorry but I'm with this guy:

I don't get Liverpool's obsession with entire songs for chants. I get that it's a repurposed Beatles song but those lyrics are absolutely embarrassing, it's just a dragged out, slow love letter. It's weird.

I can think of better, catchier ideas involving Beatles songs off the top of my head. Change "She Loves You yeah yeah yeah" to "We Love Jür-gen, gen gen".

@Chris Davies Don’t be sorry. 😊

lately I have been doing some covers of songs as well, for the sim racing community I’m involved with and liking so much.
im really happy with the sim racing and everything regarding that! 😍
you wanna have a listen?! 😊

edit: 😂 you want to!
so the first one I did, and please don’t forget I just have a lot of passion but can’t sing! 🤷‍♂️😂

https://sndup.net/spxx/

so every Friday we have our community „main event“ and I’m really enjoying the voice chat, racing and everything…
Andy is our mod.
Fridays - I drove it my way

And now, the race is near,
And so I face, a lap of formation,
My friend, I’ll make it clear,
I’ll stay my line, of wich I’m searching,
I’ve driven, a Porsch that’s cruel,
I drove it straight into a byway,
But more, much more then this,
I love to drive on fridays!!

Regrets, I’ve had a few,
But then again, let’s all blame Andy,
I did, what I had to do,
Even when my tank was pretty empty,
I planned, pitstops of course,
Each careful setup, I did my way,

Yes there were times, I’m sure you knew,
When I steered off, off the line I choose,
But through it all, when there was doubt,
came back to track, following my route,
I faced it all, tried not to stall,
Every Friday...

the original song should be guessable. 😉

Last edited:
@Chris Davies Don’t be sorry. 😊

lately I have been doing some covers of songs as well, for the sim racing community I’m involved with and liking so much.
im really happy with the sim racing and everything regarding that! 😍
you wanna have a listen?! 😊

edit: 😂 you want to!
so the first one I did, and please don’t forget I just have a lot of passion but can’t sing! 🤷‍♂️😂

https://sndup.net/spxx/

so every Friday we have our community „main event“ and I’m really enjoying the voice chat, racing and everything…
Andy is our mod.
Fridays - I drove it my way

And now, the race is near,
And so I face, a lap of formation,
My friend, I’ll make it clear,
I’ll stay my line, of wich I’m searching,
I’ve driven, a Porsch that’s cruel,
I drove it straight into a byway,

Regrets, I’ve had a few,
But then again, let’s all blame Andy,
I did, what I had to do,
Even when my tank was pretty empty,
I planned, pitstops of course,
Each careful setup, I did my way,

Yes there were times, I’m sure you knew,
When I steered off, off the line I choose,
But through it all, when there was doubt,
came back to track, following my route,
I faced it all, tried not to stall,
Every Friday...

the original song should be guessable. 😉
A fitting tribute to the sim racing lifestyle I think! You've got a better voice than me, that's for sure!

He is very good, very very good!

The better additions to EPL is Darwin & Julian Alvarez and dare I say not Erling; price tag way too heavy

Dare you say what now ? 🤣

Lol the irony of this comment.

Nunez is like 100M € uruguayan andy carrol while haaland breaking records here and there makes his price look like a steal.

Steven Gerrard?

Are you an Everton fan?
Hi Chris, yes Steven Gerrard :PINKS:. And no, not an Everton fan.

Gerrard made a good job with Rangers and Villa. But if you mean he would the same manager like Lampard with Everton? I'm not sure with it.
And Klopp lost the connection to the players I think. The team spirit is not the same like the first 2 ~ 3 season's.

:)) just my opinion.

Wow, Liverpool's descent is really surprising to say the least. Haven't really watched their games this season, but taking a quick look at the standings and their recent form.. And after watching Klopp's revolution in the past few years, it's totally unexpected. What would you guys say are the main reasons behind it? Been out of the Liverpool loop for a while.

Hi Chris, yes Steven Gerrard :PINKS:. And no, not an Everton fan.

Gerrard made a good job with Rangers and Villa. But if you mean he would the same manager like Lampard with Everton? I'm not sure with it.
And Klopp lost the connection to the players I think. The team spirit is not the same like the first 2 ~ 3 season's.

:)) just my opinion.
Good job with Rangers, not so much with Villa. And lots of people around both clubs said that Michael Beale was responsible for the tactical part; once he left Villa for QPR, everything went downhill quick.

Wow, Liverpool's descent is really surprising to say the least. Haven't really watched their games this season, but taking a quick look at the standings and their recent form.. And after watching Klopp's revolution in the past few years, it's totally unexpected. What would you guys say are the main reasons behind it? Been out of the Liverpool loop for a while.

Their midfield sucks.

The problem with Liverpool is that our media was hyping them up as the “best team ever” when in reality they won 1 league title and 1 CL (and 2 domestic cups?) under Klopp and I don’t see them winning any more under him - he looks out of ideas. Don’t get me wrong, I would kill for Villa winning those trophies again but Liverpool haven’t dominated like Sky Sports and the tabloids want us to believe.

They haven’t been the same since their transfer guru / sporting director (Michael Edwards?) walked and these days it’s rumoured that Klopp has been buying the players and getting it badly wrong. He’s a head coach, not a football manager - and he looks uncomfortable with his new role. (I’m getting this information from the Athletic podcast and they’re usually on the money).

I’d have Klopp at Villa tomorrow of course but it looks like his best days at Liverpool are in the past. Plus there are comparisons to his 7th year at Dortmund being bad and now his 7th at Anfield is heading that way. I still think they’ll give Chelsea a hiding on Sunday mind you :LOL:

Good managers are rare, I think firing Klopp would be silly. He might leave if he doesn't get good spending money in the summer though. Although frankly I am not sure the Liverpool owners are really that tight with money, it seems more to me that everyone else has gone absolutely mental with their spending. The January window is usually rather slow but for instance Chelsea just went out and bought a whole team, and not a team of nobodies either (ok it was just 10 players and not 11 but seriously f**k off Chelsea).

The idea of some Qatar owners for Liverpool is hideous to me. I'll cross that bridge when we get there but I don't think I will be very enthusiastic about watching my club if that happens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom