Microsoft Flight Simulator [PC/Xbox]

Well the patch is incredible for PC.
I can't believe how well they have now optimised the game, I am not sure either if they have lowered the textures or what.

But I have just tested the game and I get 38FPS on Ultra flying through New York and 44FPS flying through Paris.

There is still shuddering and drops to 25-30 when rotating around the plan and changing view, but so far it is a massive step in the right direction.

Well the patch is incredible for PC.
I can't believe how well they have now optimised the game, I am not sure either if they have lowered the textures or what.

But I have just tested the game and I get 38FPS on Ultra flying through New York and 44FPS flying through Paris.

There is still shuddering and drops to 25-30 when rotating around the plan and changing view, but so far it is a massive step in the right direction.

Same here. It has fixed all my stuttering while flying. Before patch I had the problem of 20fps no matter what settings. Now on Med-high Im getting 35-40fps which is great (trying to find the sweet spot to crank the graphics up a notch if it means losing a few fps. Extremely happy about this and keep in mind my pc is not a powerhorse so this def bodes well for the optimizations they made.
For some reason the update deleted all my files and had to redownload all 100GB of the game , seems I need to do something or else next update will wipe it again

Series S also is playing great but I have the console in the living room and theres too many keys to bind and too many navigational systems to keep an eye out for while playing on couch with a controller. Will see if I can work around this. Great update so far. Also seems my controller settings screw up my xbox controller settings which is a pain

Last edited:
So my gaming PC build is done. :APPLAUD:
Last night I installed windows and all the necessary software. I got myself the game pass ultimate from Microsoft and installed flight simulator and all the updates overnights. I picked London Heathrow as my starting airport and set the graphics to 4K, everything on ultra. I had FPS of around 35 with its dips to 25 and up to 44. I am quite satisfied for now and will continue optimizing windows and will start using the Radeon software to optimize my graphic settings. The dips I don’t like. But let’s see what those menus and options from the software offer to tweak out the most.

So my gaming PC build is done. :APPLAUD:
Last night I installed windows and all the necessary software. I got myself the game pass ultimate from Microsoft and installed flight simulator and all the updates overnights. I picked London Heathrow as my starting airport and set the graphics to 4K, everything on ultra. I had FPS of around 35 with its dips to 25 and up to 44. I am quite satisfied for now and will continue optimizing windows and will start using the Radeon software to optimize my graphic settings. The dips I don’t like. But let’s see what those menus and options from the software offer to tweak out the most.

When do you experience the dips?
I only get them when changing camera view and then moving the camera position around the plane.

TBH it is annoying, and is still clearly a game engine issue, but I am starting to think the drops I am experiencing is down to the CPU needing to load the information rather than the GPU.

When do you experience the dips?
I only get them when changing camera view and then moving the camera position around the plane.

TBH it is annoying, and is still clearly a game engine issue, but I am starting to think the drops I am experiencing is down to the CPU needing to load the information rather than the GPU.
I only was in Cockpit, but yes, when I moved the cam using the mouse to look around.
edit: nope. The intros to flights are dipping hard to.

bought ACC and will move the Computer over to the other room and start installing and setting up the wheel from fresh Later.
let’s see how the racing sims are doing.

Still I have so many questions, like how I get into real full screen mode?! What are the best settings for my radeon graphics card?! What are windows tips to improve gaming?! What driver for a 4K hdr tv (it’s still on old generic pnp monito)?! sooo many questions.
plis, I have tearing.

I did the usual already like the energy plan on high performance and game mode in windows. installed newer drivers to nvme, sata, gfx, chipset.

Last edited:
I, myself, being in simulation heaven for a week now, I sure can’t let go of MSFS... this Sim is awesome!

That being said... have a look...
...and live your dreams!! 😂👏

this game really is my new personal "Flower"!

when i had the controller connected and working, when i was done setting up the graphics to produce 60fps@4k (occasional stutter and dips to 45fps), when i set up the controllers sticks sensitivity, when i finally turned off all airlines radio traffic, i was just gliding the skies... relexad and in piece with myself. :D
it can be a beautiful game... just breathtaking beautiful. :SHOCK:
the dual sense sticks are a blast when controlling the camera, much smoother than i can do with a mouse. i have the keyboard near by but try to play it relaxed for now so its controller only.
the intro scenes to each flight, when the plane is pinned in the sky not moving and the external cam pans and moves around the plane, catching the scenerie so lovey... it works for me, it just works.
i did all the basic flight school trainings (5x A grade, 3x B grade), as they are perfect for getting a feel for the game, imo. i will go on tonight, completing more of those training missions, learining more about basic flying and the controls needed.
i am pretty sure the standard version will keep me busy for quite some time. a lot of places to discover, a lot of planes to be flown, a lot of adventures awaiting... :LOVE:

so lets talk business now. ;) how did they downgrade the gfx with the latest update?! i was able to gain some quality back by editing the userCFG and enabling some options but hey... hotfixes are on the way as i heard.
when i got all my other games running in full screen mode now using an option hidden in the comp. tab of a games exe (disabling fullscreen optimization and setting highDPI to application), MSFS just wont do it. even editing the userCFG and setting window to 0 and fullscreenborderless to 1 did not work. its that one game not working in real full screen mode (dont mean max windowed!!) for me.

playing with the developers console is nice thing to have! showing fps and changing settings on the fly is really handy in certain situations. never thought i'd be a customer for that kinda stuff but i am, a tinkerer with the computer settings... :D yeah, i'm that guy setting up minor options for hours, starting and quitting and restarting games left and right... repeating test patterns and such... sometimes even getting lost a bit, forgetting to actually play a game...
but yeah, i really like the options presented to me here.

maybe its because i've been using consoles for comfort for a long time now... but i see, i have fun with all those settings and actually operating stuff and so on... i dont really need that big a comfort (or i could say: i have it now on my PC as most of the stuff is running super fine, like on a console). even recording in the background is as easy as on PS5 (will have to look for a software recording in the background like 1 hour in the past (buffered)). a bit of exploring and setting up and trying to optimize stuff sure isnt everyones business... but i am well busy with that stuff and i have a lot of fun while it happens. :D
this could look like work to others... i get that, in times where users dont bother entering the settings menu of a game at all (and thats fine!!). i'm just a bit more on the nerdy side i guess! :LOL:
the sim genre is really taking advantage of all the PC possibilities... maybe i was good in the past with what i had on console and i'll play some more titles on PS5 for sure. But the sims, racing and flying, really are at home on a PC!

edit: btw, i tried playing at 30fps, and it works, but i do prefer this sim in 60fps (even when that means i have to tinker with the graphics settings)!
it is a beauty!!
i disabled film grain in the userCFG and will have a look for more gfx options to edit here for an even more immersive expirience!
the weather... guys... the weather... :LOVE:

Last edited:
i became tired of the hickpups produced when i targeted 60fps vsync. the game was running in 60fps when i set the render scale to 80 and some options like shadows to high. the dips when turning the cam or having huge airports near by werent acceptable for me at all. i want a smooth experience! so i set everything to ultra, LOD 200 and went for 30fps cap with vsync.
turning the cam now is smooth as 30fps can be. the horizon aint stuttering no more when turning.

i took some flight lesssons last night. the basic stuff like trimming and landing and such... i learned a lot while doing those short missions where you are guided by a flight instructor. its pretty well done to get newbs into the genre/game.

Last edited:
One old friend is playing it, and at the landing he became a genocider :LMAO:
It's pretty hard, but so fun to read how people he killed virtually at every landing

Graphics, especially as he got a VR with him, he said "never thinked that i would have seen that level in my life, i really believe that it's what you see when you're over the clouds. No joke"... And he's one of the most harsh player i never talked with in game.

One old friend is playing it, and at the landing he became a genocider :LMAO:
It's pretty hard, but so fun to read how people he killed virtually at every landing

Graphics, especially as he got a VR with him, he said "never thinked that i would have seen that level in my life, i really believe that it's what you see when you're over the clouds. No joke"... And he's one of the most harsh player i never talked with in game.
I set all assists to real life now, started with mixed/medium settings.
the landing challenges are some fun too, even when it’s pretty hard for me, but also satisfying.

ordered a cable for my new VR headset and it should arrive today. I can’t wait to use it in MSFS. :)

Don't hesitate to gives your impression a VR headset mate ;)

I'm not interested at all about the game itself, but never been about Flight simulators since a long time (first was on Amstrad then Amiga i saw my uncle playin with)
It's the kind of game i prefers to watch than play. There's many type of games like on my library, i watch YT vids and i'm good with it lol.

Don't hesitate to gives your impression a VR headset mate ;)

I'm not interested at all about the game itself, but never been about Flight simulators since a long time (first was on Amstrad then Amiga i saw my uncle playin with)
It's the kind of game i prefers to watch than play. There's many type of games like on my library, i watch YT vids and i'm good with it lol.
I will surly post my impressions.
But first thing I want to do is a race in AMS2! :)

the postal truck is late today… no cable yet.

Consoleros listen…

PC users who are missing the update in the Microsoft store can download the Xbox app and get the update from there.

edit: anything to fix the 99% GPU usage in the menus while downloading the update?!
man, 250watt for an update!! :BLINK:

Last edited:

Still the most impressive title available.... Also MS hits it out of the park with these trailers.

I got a better laptop and a game pass trial, so I finally decided to take the plunge and download this. Is there an extension or way you can have the CPU take over and fly the entire flight? I will do some of the tutorials and learn, but mainly my enjoyment out of this is going to come from watching relaxing flights, and not the nitty-gritty bits about flying an actual jumbo jet. Is there a "passenger" mode that would allow for this? I have seen some videos of shots looking out the passenger window, but I don't know if that is a replay or something.

I got a better laptop and a game pass trial, so I finally decided to take the plunge and download this. Is there an extension or way you can have the CPU take over and fly the entire flight? I will do some of the tutorials and learn, but mainly my enjoyment out of this is going to come from watching relaxing flights, and not the nitty-gritty bits about flying an actual jumbo jet. Is there a "passenger" mode that would allow for this? I have seen some videos of shots looking out the passenger window, but I don't know if that is a replay or something.

Im pretty much same as you. To be honest Id recommend using the Cesna or another airplane with a propeller to do sightseeing. Do the tutorial on autopilot and you should be good. The jets and airliners are a bit complex for me and go pretty fast to do sightseeing.

Yes, there is an AI pilot feature where the AI follows your flight plan. You can also cycle through various cameras depending on the plane.

Yes, there is an AI pilot feature where the AI follows your flight plan. You can also cycle through various cameras depending on the plane.
I found the AI controls plane switch and found it does what I need, and does a pretty good job at it. I like doing general aviation and flying myself with smaller planes and taking a look around, but for longer hauls I like to be a passenger and do other things. This "game" is incredibly relaxing and enjoyable.

Love the game and I'm really enjoying my journey around the world, but it's absolutely shocking how shitty it's optimised on series X.
Multiple times already I had Xbox shutting down on its own with a message after restart that it was overheating.
No other game ever did this, have it all dust free, but it still does it randomly. Sometimes I can fly for hours, sometimes its shutting down after 20mins. Regardless whether it's populated area, or not, it's all just random.
Since it's supposed to be one of the flagships of Xbox - it's a bit of a disgrace and makes me want to delete it all. Don't even want to know how it runs on series S.
Also - later this year MSFS 2024 is coming out. Bigger and better.
Scared to think how they will have this running on Xbox.
In general - looking at all the exclusives and smash (s)hits like Starfield - I'm starting to think that Xbox X/S is a wasted generation.

• Wow
Reactions: Tom
Back
Top Bottom