Microsoft Flight Simulator [PC/Xbox]

Started playing it a month ago but at time felt impossible to play with a controller because of yoke/analog stick difference.

Then I gave it another chance this week and finished training and this is one of the best things I've ever played. I would still love to get a proper setup but even with a controller it's such a fun game to play

Doing Rijeka - Santorini run. Got lost on first leg and took me 40 mins to get back on track. Second leg was much easier and way more fun after figuring things out

So I took a quick flight around Paris and can confirm that my PC took quite a big hit in performance.
Although there was no actual massive visual stuttering the frame rate did drop to at times 15-17FPS, with it mainly resting around the 21-24FPS range.
This is a change from the 32FPS I was getting when flying from Gibraltar to Barcelona.

I would also like to point out, I did a take off from Gibraltar again and noticed that using Windows 11, my PC took about a 10% performance hit from doing the upgrade.

There is meant to be a massive update coming at the end of July, I assume to coincide with the Xbox release, which is meant to bring a big performance increase - But then so did an update in May.

@PRO_TOO

I have tested the joystick now, and as a reasonably priced joystick for beginners it isn't too bad.
However not having force feedback is a bit of a let down.
I used to own a Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback, which unfortunately isn't compatible with Windows 10 and Flight Sim, without changing loads of settings.

If you want something decent to add immersion then I would recommend to try and find a force feedback one, unless you are simply just buying it for fun and it is a million times better than a controller.

But one question, I got to ask you - Could you imagine playing AC and turning off all your Force Feedback?

@PRO_TOO

I have tested the joystick now, and as a reasonably priced joystick for beginners it isn't too bad.
However not having force feedback is a bit of a let down.
I used to own a Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback, which unfortunately isn't compatible with Windows 10 and Flight Sim, without changing loads of settings.

If you want something decent to add immersion then I would recommend to try and find a force feedback one, unless you are simply just buying it for fun and it is a million times better than a controller.

But one question, I got to ask you - Could you imagine playing AC and turning off all your Force Feedback?
Absolutely not. It’s vital now.
I used to own this one, back in the days:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002JXB...-417128147.1625090636&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

what huge forces are working in a cockpit these days anyway?
I wonder if I could use my f1 wheel as a rudder control in a flight Sim.

Last edited:
There is meant to be a massive update coming at the end of July, I assume to coincide with the Xbox release, which is meant to bring a big performance increase - But then so did an update in May.

All my hopes are on that update. Not to mention how it'll be in series S. Below are expected improvements vs current update. This is without DX12 implementation

I am sure once this game is released on Xbox the performance updates will keep coming.

As in the games current state it won't be until the RTX 5090 is released before the game is playable in Ultra.

The performance update sounds promising, threading to specific cores and making more use of GPU.

My FPS is generally satisfactory except over major city centres, so hopefully this will help boost those areas.

July 15th, 2021 Development Update​

https://www.flightsimulator.com/july-15th-2021-development-update/

2Rn.gif

lets have a look then… :)

That LOD on the series X looks pretty good. 30FPS in the series S over NY is looking not bad at all. The SeriesX does seem like a big improvement in detail both close and far. Cant wait to try it, hope the controls are OK

It will be interesting to see what DF find when they do a comparison against PC.
I am more interested in knowing roughly what settings are used.

The Series X looks pretty impressive, but the Series S running side by side clearly as the draw distance at the lowest setting and not very good LOD compared to the X in comparison.

It will also be interesting to see if the Series X uses dynamic resolution, which is a massive thing with the new consoles to keep the game at the targeted frame rate.

Overall I am impressed with how well it looks like the X has handled it.

yes yes yes... *fap*

MS Flight Simulator 2020 ON SALE before release:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.mydealz.de/deals/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-standard-3015eur-deluxe-4549eur-premium-deluxe-6030eur-xbox-pc-game-pass-20-rabatt-island-store-1834322?utm_source=mappshare&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=1834322&utm_campaign=2021-07-26

any chance of upgrading the standard version of the game to premium deluxe later, when i would just snatch the standard via UGP this week!?

edit: mydealz user comments suggest that its possible to upgrade the standard version to premium deluxe later via DLC!

Last edited:
yes yes yes... *fap*

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.mydealz.de/deals/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-standard-3015eur-deluxe-4549eur-premium-deluxe-6030eur-xbox-pc-game-pass-20-rabatt-island-store-1834322?utm_source=mappshare&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=1834322&utm_campaign=2021-07-26

any chance of upgrading the standard version of the game to premium deluxe later, when i would just snatch the standard via UGP this week!?

edit: mydealz user comments suggest that its possible to upgrade the standard version to premium deluxe later via DLC!

I have the standard edition on PC, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to be able to upgrade to the Deluxe edition.
But then also I haven't paid for the game and been playing it via Game Pass.

yes yes yes... *fap*

This game hasnt really gone down in price after one year so that seems to be a good deal. Especially as a Play Anywhere Title. I have almost 3 years left of Gamepass ultimate but once this drops a bit more I want to buy it to actually own it. I think if you get Gamepass for $1 as a trial they give you a discount.

1 more day lets gooooo

This game hasnt really gone down in price after one year so that seems to be a good deal. Especially as a Play Anywhere Title. I have almost 3 years left of Gamepass ultimate but once this drops a bit more I want to buy it to actually own it. I think if you get Gamepass for $1 as a trial they give you a discount.

1 more day lets gooooo

You are on S right?
so much to play for that “little money”! In decent quality!

You are on S right?
so much to play for that “little money”! In decent quality!
Yeah Im on S, but also waiting to see the PC improvements in this title update. I used to be able to run it on Med-High on my rig but somewhere along the way, updates got messed up and now it looks like sh*t.
But def a $299 machine running FS like that is impressive

Yeah Im on S, but also waiting to see the PC improvements in this title update. I used to be able to run it on Med-High on my rig but somewhere along the way, updates got messed up and now it looks like sh*t.
But def a $299 machine running FS like that is impressive

I think PC updates won’t make that much a significant difference, I might be wrong but some of the 40% increase coming I would be surprised by.
Need to get DX12 and DLSS before the frame rate makes a massive difference on PC.

Then we will get Ray Tracing and will need an Nvidia RTX 7090 to get 30 FPS in 4K.

I think PC updates won’t make that much a significant difference, I might be wrong but some of the 40% increase coming I would be surprised by.
Need to get DX12 and DLSS before the frame rate makes a massive difference on PC.

Then we will get Ray Tracing and will need an Nvidia RTX 7090 to get 30 FPS in 4K.
Isn’t ray tracing rumored for the XSX Version?!
yeah, I heard about a fps increase when taking advantage of DX12. When is that update coming? Windows 10 and a new GPU is enough to be able to use DX12?

I basically need them to go back to whatever made my PC run it ok when it first launched. Over at the forums, ppl with monster cards are having some problems with low fps even in medium settings after the nordic update. So whatever got messed up hopefully something will fix it to working order with the title updates.
They have been touting great optimization for this TU5, which allowed to consoles to run it so the last thing you lose is hope. Even if these optimizations on the pc wont yet run with DX12 yet

@PRO_TOO I think the consoles run it in DX12, but the PC wont get it in this update but sometime in 2021. You shouldnt have any problem running DX12, its mostly dev optimizations to take more advantage of the hardware

Microsoft servers getting hammered. As usual with this game and its huge updates thinking about running it takes around an additional 3hrs. When update dropped (console an addt'l 30gb), people were having problems logging in. Stuck in screens while it searched for updates. I just ran it at my local time 3PM and it loaded very fast.
One problem that people are seeing on consoles (me too), there is no cursor. So I had to attach a mouse to my xbox and was able to navigate the menus (with just the controller it wont do).
It really is amazing they can make this run on this xbox. I have to say, controlling the aircraft with just the controller is not easy especially with all the navigational systems.
I flew around Miami (a few buildings) and it ran smoothly , but in the distance its easy to see the detail is not quite there, but besides that it runs pretty smooth. Id say it runs in Medium (70%) - High (30%) settings

Now trying to check the PC update but it says I have to download an additional 120GB..... so I probably wont see it today.

I started updating it on PC today.
40GB patch for the latest update.

I am hoping now that the game will have better FPS, I can crank up the graphics setting and make it run around 30FPS without any dips.

I also did a massive school boy with the world updates, I didn’t realise you had to go into the Marketplace and download them, so that was another additional 15-20GB I have to download.

I'm at 30gb after about 3 hours.....the download speed really dips at times, so I suspect the MS servers are still being bombarded.

I'm also hoping this update ensures about 30fps over cities - that's adequate for me. Also hope that it makes the draw distances a bit better - not a fan of the featureless landscapes in the distance that pop up as you near them.

Back
Top Bottom