Rangers Thread

Re: The Rangers Thread - UEFA Cup Final :: Manchester :: Tonight :: 19.45

How can you guys even like that type of football...
You kind remind me of Greece in Euro 2004...

You are ignorant my friend, football is about winning...Greece won (three times against Portugal). Winners are always right.

Of course when you play like Rangers (or Greece) and you get a goal in the 72th minute you know that it's probably over....playing defensively like that is a bit of a gamble.

Still congratulations for a great campaign to Rangers.

Re: The Rangers Thread - Zenit 2-0 Rangers :: Congratulations Zenit!

Here's what the real supporters were doing in Manchester.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jNucU7c8faI

Majority Were Magnificent

RANGERS Chief Executive Martin Bain has praised the majority of supporters who followed the team to Manchester yesterday but condemned the actions of the 'mindless minority' who disgraced themselves with their behaviour.

He told www.rangers.co.uk: "We have enjoyed a fantastic European adventure this season, playing 19 Champions League and UEFA Cup games.

"The majority of our fans have been a credit to themselves and the Club as they followed the team around Europe.

"The UEFA Cup Final was a terrific occasion for everyone associated with Rangers and the fact that an estimated 200,000 people travelled to Manchester and headed to Ibrox for the beamback party highlights the level of commitment and passion our fans have for this Club.

"The vast majority of supporters were a credit to Rangers and deserve praise for their conduct.

"However, I condemn the mindless minority who engaged in senseless violence before and after the match.

"There was a great atmosphere during the day with very few arrests but the scenes we saw later in the evening were dreadful and we will do everything we possibly can to assist Manchester Police.

"Sir Richard Leese, the leader of Manchester City Council, contacted me last night and again this morning to thank the Club for how the situation was dealt with.

"He also wished to praise the behaviour of the vast majority of our supporters who are currently travelling home from his city."

Rangers Head of Security, Kenny Scott, said the Club is doing everything in its power, along with authorities in Manchester, to identify those involved.

He added: "If the Club and authorities identify anyone who was responsible for these acts of violence we will take the appropriate action.

"The difficulty is, of course, that many of these people have no official association with Rangers Football Club and that exacerbates our difficulties with dealing with the situation.

"Preparations for the game were sufficient and we were heavily involved as a club with Strathclyde Police and the authorities in Manchester.

"From that point of view, I don't think there was much more which could have been done at the relatively short notice we had.

"We saw some great scenes in Manchester and the city absorbed the numbers that were there, despite the fact they greatly exceeded those expected.

"Unfortunately the catalyst for the disorder last night was the breaking down of the giant screen and the unacceptable behaviour of approximately 200 people which followed has tarnished the Club's reputation.

"While condemning the behaviour of these people, let's also express our gratitude to the unprecedented numbers of people who travelled to Manchester and were a credit to Rangers Football Club."

Last edited:

You are ignorant my friend, football is about winning...Greece won (three times against Portugal). Winners are always right.

Of course when you play like Rangers (or Greece) and you get a goal in the 72th minute you know that it's probably over....playing defensively like that is a bit of a gamble.

Still congratulations for a great campaign to Rangers.

Not allways, mate...

Your right football its all about wining, but sometimes the way that some teams win its not the right one...

In the final of EURO 2004 Greece have done nothing to win, they were allways playing on defense and they waited for a mistake by our part to score... They were lucky and they have scored a goal

Unfortunetly this type of playing is well succeded sometimes...

Not allways, mate...

Your right football its all about wining, but sometimes the way that some teams win its not the right one...

In the final of EURO 2004 Greece have done nothing to win, they were allways playing on defense and they waited for a mistake by our part to score... They were lucky and they have scored a goal

I thought in that way for a long time but now I see things differently. The coaches use the weapons they have. Their work is to win. As gerd said football is about winning.

Of course football is about winning.
I have questions about the much hailed Scolari if one knows that Portugal have been beaten three times in a row by Greece...either his tactics were dodgy or his players dit not fulfill their tasks...

Having said this and knowing that things like this usually haunt me afterwards, we know who will win Euro 2008: Portugal...

I know it's a minority, but i was disgusted by the violence witnessed in Manchester. There's no place for people like that in human society. Disgusting! Do you really need 30+ pissed up idiots kicking, hitting and punching a lone policeman on the street floor. I hope Rangers does something about this, if not Uefa. And i feel sorry for the real fans. Your club and to an extent, your country, has now been tainted.

Not allways, mate...

How bitter are you?! Greece beat you in 2004, get over it! :r1

I know it's a minority, but i was disgusted by the violence witnessed in Manchester. There's no place for people like that in human society. Disgusting! Do you really need 30+ pissed up idiots kicking, hitting and punching a lone policeman on the street floor. I hope Rangers does something about this, if not Uefa. And i feel sorry for the real fans. Your club and to an extent, your country, has now been tainted.

Rangers have been doing all they can to help the Greater Manchester Police but it's emerged that those leading the violence were not Rangers fans and have no association with the club at all. Looking at the horrible CCTV footage again, its clear that there are hardly any Rangers tops visible. UEFA have said there will be no sanctions - but they are investigating the Zenit fans pitch invasion at full-time.

It was disturbing but we all know that nothing will happen.

I was in town most of the day on the build up to the game and the atmosphere was great, all the Rangers fans i spoke to were absolulty sound! It was defianatly the minority!

Re: The Rangers Thread - Motherwell 1-1 Rangers :: 2 games left :: 3pts behind

17.jpg

Motherwell 1-1 Rangers
Porter (50)............................Dailly (29)

RANGERS' chances of winning the SPL title this season have suffered a massive blow at Fir Park after Motherwell held Walter Smith's side to a 1-1 draw.

A Christian Dailly header in the first-half looked to be putting Gers on easy street in a match they largely dominated but an equaliser from Chris Porter minutes after the half-time interval was to stun the visitors.

The Light Blues are now three points behind Celtic with a game in-hand but Gordon Strachan's side have a superior goal difference of plus seven.

If Rangers are to win the league they must now comprehensively beat St. Mirren and Aberdeen, both away from home, and hope that Celtic slip up against Dundee United at Tannadice on the final day of the campaign.

Walter Smith named an attacking starting eleven for this must-win fixture with Daniel Cousin and Nacho Novo starting in attack as part of a 4-4-2 formation.

In total the gaffer made five changes from the team that faced Zenit St. Petersburg in the UEFA Cup final on Wednesday night with Christian Dailly and Charlie Adam also returning to the frame.

Sasa Papac was to miss the game through injury.

A fitting minute applause for Celtic legend Tommy Burns took place before referee John Underhill got the action underway on Fir Park's much criticised playing surface.

On today's evidence it was easy to see whey this is the case with the ball bobbling up awkwardly throughout the 90 minutes.

Rangers, however, started the match in a positive fashion and showed their attacking intent after only three minutes.

A long ball from Lee McCulloch was nodded down by Cousin to the on-rushing Barry Ferguson but his pass to Nacho Novo was cleared.

Five minutes later and it felt like the ball had not been out of the Motherwell half with Rangers in hot pursuit of a victory.

Even Carlos Cuellar found himself on the right-wing but his deep cross was headed wide by Dailly.

McCulloch and Adam were seeing plenty of the ball in the wide areas during the opening stages and it was the latter that was to tee up Barry Ferguson with a wicked near post cross on 15 minutes.

The captain was unable to control his header due to the pace on the ball which ended up in the stands.

On 21 minutes Rangers produced an excellent move with David Weir finding Ferguson in space.

The skipper fed the ball cleverly to Novo who cut inside before launching a goalbound shot that was deflected wide by Keith Lasley.

It was all the visitors at this stage and a good exchange between Novo and McCulloch resulted in Cousin again testing Graeme Smith with a powerful drive from 20 yards which he did well to hold.

On 28 minutes Underhill produced his first yellow card for halted a powerful Cousin run on the left flank.

A goal was on the cards and seconds later it arrived.

Kirk Broadfoot launched a long ball up field and with Smith rushing from his goalline and flapping for thin air, Dailly rose in typical fashion to head home into the empty net before celebrating with his teammates.

The Steelmen rarely troubled Neil Alexander's gaol in the opening period but when Steven Hughes was found sprinting from midfield unmarked it took a terrific piece of defending from Carlos Cuellar to deny the former Gers star.

And with only a minute of the half remaining Brian McLean, another former Murray Park starlet Brain McLean pushed forward from his right-back role and his near post shot was tipped over by Alexander.

Neither manager made any changes for the restart and within 60 seconds Cousin had a great chance to double his side's advantage.

The Gabon international shrugged Mark Reynolds aside to latch on to a long ball but his low shot hit the legs of Smith.

There was to be a turning point as Motherwell were to get back into the game on 48 minutes against the run of play.

A deep cross into the Rangers box was headed back across the goal and off the post by David Clarkson.

With the defence sleeping the ball then found its way back into the six yard box and Chris Porter flicked it home beyond the stranded Alexander.

The goal was to stun the Gers' support who, up to that point, had watched their side cruise through the game.

As expected, Rangers were to through everything into getting a second goal with Charlie Adam coming close with a free-kick and a powerful drive which was palmed away by Smith.

And his namesake Walter was to make his first alteration on 66 min with Steven Davis replacing McCulloch on the right side of midfield.

The Northern Ireland international immediately tried to get on the ball as much as possible.

His energy and drive did bring something to Rangers' play but there was a distinct lack of composure in the last 15 minutes of the match as nerves started to kick in.

Motherwell kept every man behind the ball as the visitors pushed forward and when John Underhill blew his final whistle the home support celebrated as if they had taken three points.

Rangers are now in need of a miracle if they are to lift the SPL trophy after this hugely frustrating day at Fir Park.

Re: The Rangers Thread - Motherwell 1-1 Rangers :: 2 games left :: 3pts behind

18.jpg

St. Mirren 0-3 Rangers
.......................................Boyd (4)
.......................................Darcheville (24, 69)

KIRK BROADFOOT believes that Rangers' 3-0 win at Love Street tonight has kept the club's title dreams alive even if the destination of the trophy is in the hands of Old Firm rivals Celtic.

The victory has pushed Walter Smith's side level on 86 points although the Parkhead side have a goal difference advantage of plus four.

But with his now having to go to Pittodrie on Thursday night and Celtic travelling to Tannadice, Kirk insists there may still be a few twist and turns on the final day of this rollercoaster campaign.

He said: "I think we were very pleased with the performance tonight but we could have perhaps scored a few more goals.

"If Darche's overhead kick that hit the post had gone in just before half-time that would have put us three up at a great time in the game.

"But it was not to be although I thought we created a lot of chances in the second-half, as we did throughout the game.

"All we can hope for now is that we can go up to Pittodrie, get a win and see what happens from there.

"People will talk about the goals situation but when you are going to a place like Pittodrie, or Tannadice for that matter, all you have to do is try to get a victory as they are never easy places to go to.

"The biggest disappointment is that we don't have our destiny in our own hands and we need Dundee United to do us a wee favour.

"I am sure they will be professional and want to finish the season on a high in front of their home support so you never know what could happen.

"We have been to Tannadice twice this season and not won so it is a tough place to go."

Code:
Clydesdale Bank Premier League Table 19 May 2008 21:44

P 	GD 	PTS
1 	Celtic 		37 	57 	86
2 	Rangers 	37 	53 	86

Last edited:
Re: The Rangers Thread - St. Mirren 0-3 Rangers :: 1 game left :: level on points

19.jpg

Tonight:
Dundee United vs Celtic - Setanta Sports 1
Aberdeen vs Rangers - Setanta Sports 2

We need to beat Aberdeen and hope Dundee United do us a favour (not bloody likely) tonight for us to win the league.

Re: The Rangers Thread - Last day :: Aberdeen vs Rangers :: 7.45pm

20.jpg

Aberdeen 2-0 Rangers
Miller (63')
Mackie (77')

THE MASSIVE fixture schedule took its toll on Rangers tonight as they missed out on the SPL crown.

The 2-0 defeat by Aberdeen coupled with Celtic's win at Tannadice meant that the title remains with the Parkhead club.

Rangers looked a tired side in Aberdeen even although there was so much to play for but it is little wonder given the incredible 67 matches they have played so far.

And the night was made all the more galling when frustrated Nacho Novo went over the top on Stuart Duff with 10 minutes to go and was sent off which means he will miss Saturday's Cup Final against Queen of the South.

There is no doubt that the ludicrous list of matches that the club was forced to play in the closing weeks of the season was key.

But they can be proud of reaching three finals - including, of course, the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester last week - and taking the title race to the wire.

Now they must hope to finish it all off at Hampden on Saturday - although they only have 41 hours or so to get ready.

Code:
Clydesdale Bank Premier League - Final Table

P 	GD 	PTS
1 	Celtic 		38 	58 	89
2 	Rangers 	38 	51 	86

Last edited:
Re: The Rangers Thread - League lost :: Scottish FA Cup Final :: Saturday :: 3:00pm

You can see why teams in England don't value the league cup when it can affect your season like this. Good luck in the final.

Re: The Rangers Thread - League lost :: Scottish FA Cup Final :: Saturday :: 3:00pm

21.jpg

Rangers 3-2 Queen of the South
Boyd (33, 72).................Tosh (50)
Beasley (43)...................Thomson (53)

KRIS BOYD's moustache was the Cup hero for Rangers for the second time this season as Queen of the South were edged out 3-2 at Hampden.

Boyd was the star of the CIS Cup Final back in March with two gutsy goals and then the winning penalty in the shootout victory over Dundee United.

And he did it again today with two terrific goals as Rangers were made to fight all the way by Gordon Chisholm's men.

Rangers were two up at half-time and seemingly out of sight after Boyd smashed a fantastic right foot shot into the top corner in 33 minutes and then DaMarcus Beasley slotted a left foot shot under Jamie MacDonald in 43 minutes.

However, Queens stunned Rangers with two goals inside the first seven minutes of the second half. Steve Tosh swept home Sean O'Connor's cross (with his bollocks) in 49 minutes then skipper Jim Thomson headed in Robert Harris's free kick.

It was left to Boyd to win the Cup with a great header from Beasley's corner in 71 minutes.

Not allways, mate...

Mate,football is a results driven business,we have not been pretty to watch at all this season which has driven some of us Bears crazy too believe it or not.If playing like that got us to a European final though then I'd welcome it everytime.

People seem to forget that Rangers,if they had gone toe to toe with the likes of Werder Bremen,Fiorentina or Zenit would have been ripped apart,playing to our strengths gave us the chance to watch our opposition tire before hitting them with that sucker punch.If you didn't like it you could have changed the channel you know.

Winning is the be all and end all when it comes to football,fans want results,and the coaching staff do what is necessary to make sure that they get those results.

Anyway,congratulations Zenit,it was thoroughly deserved and I'm delighted for Dick and Nando.If I could choose any team to lose a final to it would be Zenit,really look forward to seeing them in their debut Champions League season,hopefully we'll meet again :D

Congratulations Celtic for grinding out the results when it was needed,say what you will about Strachans tactics but he's managed to pull through and I don't really begrudge them that title after losing Mr Football to cancer.Tommy was a great player in his day and a true gentleman who crossed the Old Firm divide,always commanded my respect and the SPL will be much the worse next year without him.

Lastly,what was a promising season for us has turned out to be quite disastrous,but next year we can start again.Europe is just a bonus Wattie,we want our title back.

and Kenny Miller........no thanks!!

Last edited:
Re: The Rangers Thread - Friendlies start July 13th :: Kaunas/Santa Coloma in CL Qual

PRE-SEASON FRIENDLIES & CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUALIFIERS

Rangers begin their pre-season friendlies on July 13th with a training camp in Germany.

• July 13th @ 1700 BST vs. SC Preußen Münster
  • July 16th @ 1900 BST vs. Sportfreunde Lotte
  • July 19th @ 1530 BST vs. FC Schalke 04

After this short tour, Rangers return to Scotland to play another three games.

• July 22 @ 1930 BST vs. Clyde
  • July 26 @ 1500 BST vs. Raith Rovers

The UEFA Champions League qualifiers interrupt the friendlies. Rangers will play either Vladimir Romanov backed FBK Kaunas of Lithuania of Andorran minnows Santa Coloma. The first leg will be played at Ibrox on July 29/30.
Then the biggest pre-season test comes in the form of Liverpool, who visit Ibrox on August 2 @ 1500 BST.

Re: The Rangers Thread - Friendlies start July 13th :: Kaunas/Santa Coloma in CL Qual

Is the match tonight on TV at all ?

Out of Europe before the schools go back.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:X

ouch, i switch it on and the first thing i see is them scoring.

I guess without the likes of Cuelluar, Ferguson and Davis the squad you have is pretty thin, but to be honest I'd still expect you to get through Kaunas

Shower of shite and probably the most embarrassing result in the history of the club.Looks like Carlos Cuellar will be off now too.What the fuck is Walter Smith playing at?

Let's sign 3 strikers and play 1 up front.Let's leave our only out and out goalscorer on the bench.Let's play Christian Dailly ahead of Brahim Hemdani and let's get rid of the only flair midfield player we have in Thomas Buffel for nothing.

What in the name of all things holy is going on?

You'd think Dailly would have been dropped after his horror shows in pre-season. His damn failed chest pass led to the corner which produced the goal. Smith has to take a lot of blame for this. His arsing about with signing Davis led to us having a weak midfield over the two games and the £2.5m signing of Bougherra could have been better spent on securing Davis.

On the (very dim but) bright side, with no European distractions, we should be securing the league this season IF we get a decent midfield.

And poor Cuéllar... he's for the off now for sure.

On the (very dim but) bright side, with no European distractions, we should be securing the league this season IF we get a decent midfield.

you're joking right???

there is not a player in the country that would sign for rangers right now! anyone who comes here, comes ONLY for the european football. with that carrot now gone, i doubt rangers will make any more signing this season...

i don't know what the hell has happened to rangers. they were a shambles last season, and it seems like it's gonna be more of the same this season. we should have been humped every match we played in the uefa cup last season, and i used to physically cringe when we always seemed to be victorious at the final whistle. there was not one match in last seasons' uefa cup we should have won, NOT ONE! and boy, were we found out last night! i knew the useless feckers would try and hold out for the 1-1, even whenever we went 1-0 up...

rangers are a disaster right now, and i don't hold out much hope for the season.

carlos will go, that is pretty much for sure now...
forget about davis now, too. rangers were too bloody tight to add another half million to the fee, and as a result now find themselves 10million out of pocket!!!

i remember rangers signing big dunc for a british transfer record back in 1993. every team in england wanted to sign him! but rangers had the pulling power. they could compete. they were as big as man u, liverpool, leeds and arsenal.

now they are a fucking waste of space...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom